Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still 1971 in Ireland? The contraceptive train still runs - Under another name.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Grayson wrote: »
    have you read the HIQA report? there were over 20 points of failure in her treatment. Each one, if it had not of occurred, probably would have resulted in her survival.

At the time she was admitted if she had received correct treatment there's a good chance that she might have survived.
    However that didn't happen and at the time she asked for a termination (or even beforehand), if she had of received one, she probably would have survived. You can say that's not the case and that the original reason was the lack of antibiotics etc but if that's the case and you want to regress, lets just say it's her own fault for getting pregnant in Ireland, a country that gives substandard care to women and has dark age reproductive laws.

The treatment Savita received was horrendous. She was given substandard care and died because of it. It's not the the first time it's occurred. The HIQA report detailed other occasions and detailed the recommendations they'd made at the time of these previous incidents. Recommendations which had not then and still aren't implemented. Women have died and will continue to die because of this.

And what's just as bad are all the pro life idiots who are able to revise history to suite their narrative. "An abortion wouldn't have saved her" Really, well both her and the foetus died so I guess we'll never know if that's the truth. Unless of course we loot at other situations in other countries where an abortion in similar occasions did save a womans live. And we could listen to the overwhelmingly vast majority of doctors who agree.

In India where abortion is allowed, a pregnant woman dies on average every 12 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

RobertKK wrote: »
    In India where abortion is allowed, a pregnant woman dies on average every 12 minutes.

I don't think the comparison is fair at all- very sensationilist

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

can you provide any evidence what so ever to suggest that those two figures are negatively related?

I'd imagine the reason for that figure is because of two things.

1) a billion people live there
    2) half of them live in abject poverty with little to no healthcare available.

There is one issue with abortion in India though and that's how many people terminate so they won't have female children. Although I'm pro choice I still think that's wrong. It shows a massive prejudice against women. That however is a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

So, as I said, single women or those having a child who's father is not their husband, can legally sever the legal rights and responsibilities they have in relation to that child. Do you consider these women "deadbeat Mom's"? Do you reserve the same kind of ire for them you do for the people that have suggested that men should be able to essentially do the same thing?

The reality is you were so quick to jump on the suggestion with your sexist hypersensitivity you didn't think things through and had to immediately begin back tracking and straw manning. I'll leave you to it. Effort...

efb wrote: »
    I don't think the comparison is fair at all- very sensationilist

It is the truth http://www.dw.de/india-still-grappling-with-maternal-deaths/a-17631850

On average 45,000 Indian women die during or after child birth. The rate is about 200 women per 100,000.
    The Irish rate is in single figures and lower than most western countries that permit abortion.

• Advertisement

It is the truth http://www.dw.de/india-still-grappling-with-maternal-deaths/a-17631850

On average 45,000 Indian women die during or after child birth. The rate is about 200 women per 100,000.
    The Irish rate is in single figures and lower than most western countries that permit abortion.

But higher that some western countries that permit abortions then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What would happen if women in Ireland weren't allowed to travel elsewhere to access abortion services? Would the abortion rate drop to near zero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

India isn't the bastion of medical care I was made to believe? Next you'll be telling us their trains get a bit crowded.

The UK has a lower mortality rate than us

• Advertisement

But higher that some western countries that permit abortions then

We are among the lowest in the world.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2223rank.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Reading that link, the majority of deaths was suffering from a bloodstream infection, likely due to a bacterium acquired during the caesarian. Such infections, also known as sepsis, are more common in India than in the developed world and indicate poor quality of care.

just to add to that, the largest single killer of girls under the age of 21 is childbirth. That's globally, there may be a slight variation in certain countries. It's particularly bad in the third world.

That's why the Bill and Melinda gates foundation is doing so much to increase the knowledge of and availability of contraception. Educating girls about sex and reproduction can provide them with the ability to control their own fertility. Giving them access to contraception will also help this. Prevention is the best cure and although I'm pro choice I do think that stopping a pregnancy before it starts, through effective contraception, is better than abortion.

That's not to say that availability of abortion wouldn't help these women. Abortion is safer than childbirth for a teenage girl. Especially when it's drug induced at an early stage. Medical abortion is a bit of a moot point. If it's not possible to get condoms and other contraceptives to them it's probably not possible to get adequate facilities set up. that doesn't mean that hospitals shouldn't be set up with them.

The UK has a lower mortality rate than us

UK is higher than our mortality rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

realies wrote: »
    Reading that link, the majority of deaths was suffering from a bloodstream infection, likely due to a bacterium acquired during the caesarian. Such infections, also known as sepsis, are more common in India than in the developed world and indicate poor quality of care.

No its abortions. Higher death rate + abortions? Must be abortions. The statistics match up perfectly. We should ban internet explorer while we're at it

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--VMdaBkt---/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18calq4ybym0sjpg.jpg

The strain of infection that Savita had is common in India and some countries have issued to be aware of pregnant women who traveled to India or from India, given ESBL can be a problem, it has a mortality rate somewehre around 30%.

In 2013 our Rate is 9 there's is 8

Your both right.

the world bank says the UK is lower
    http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.STA.MMRT

the CIA say Ireland is lower.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2223rank.html

My data is more recent

My data is more recent

We can both be right, there is very little difference.

• Advertisement

My data is more recent

last year there were 10 cases of maternal mortality in the republic. If the number of cases dropped by a couple of a increased by a couple in an increase can drastically change the stats.

That's not to say that every case is bad. each of those was a woman dying. And cases like Savita's where there was an almighty fcukup shouldn't happen. there's still a lot of room for improvement. I just mean that when it's that small statistics can be a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What's going on here in AH?

Surely post #8 should have been #2 and then a mod should have just locked it in #3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It is quite embarrassing in this day and age that women still have to hide and go in secret to a another country in regards to contraception, unbelievable really.

I think you are confused as to the difference between contraception and abortion. Nobody in Ireland has to "go in secret" to another country to get contraceptives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭volchitsa

We can both be right, there is very little difference.

It's now accepted that the stats in Ireland on maternal mortality rates have been severely under reported, partly die to methodological flaws. More recent statistics should be better but are still not directly comparable to international statistics, because some cases that are reported as maternal deaths in the UK and elsewhere are not classified as such by Irish coroners.

It seems probable that the "increase" recently is due to media attention preventing such deaths going unreported, not to a real increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Ive only been skim reading this thread, whats the general consensus of when its still ok to kill the baby?

Inside the body, good?
    Outside the body, bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's why advocates of 'paper abortions for men' tie themselves up in knots trying to argue that a man should be allowed to abdicate his responsibility towards a child he doesn't want, while at the same time trying to maintain that this is a father's rights issue!

It's a bit like saying "Well she wanted to have the child, I didn't, so now I have no responsibility for that child". Their attitude doesn't negate the fact that a child now exists, and they have a duty towards that child. They can hardly argue father's rights while ignoring father's responsibilities.
    The whole 'paper abortion for men' is nothing more than a poorly thought out specious strawman that always gets thrown in with abortion, that actually bears no similarity to abortion whatsoever, and is merely a poor attempt at so-called 'gender equality' for men.
    1) According to some people (whether because of religious influence or otherwise) an unborn child is still a human being.

2) It is indeed an equal rights issue, because a no-abortion regime is equal - an unwanted pregnancy cannot be ended by either party, and everyone know where they stand before the fact. Where abortions are legalised, but there is no "paper abortion" procedure for the father, is when inequality arises.

Because under this case, in a questionable pregnancy the father has no say in his own future - if he is not able/willing to accept the responsibility of fatherhood, but the mother decides to have/keep the child, tough, he's on the hook. Likewise if the father wants the child, even being willing to raise it on his own, but the mother wants to walk away from the pregnancy immediately, again, sux 2 B him.

Under your "if the child happens to exist" standard, the only way to give the man to have any say in his own future in these cases were for him to be able to petition a court to force the mother to abort/carry the child in accordance with his plans for the future.

Since no one would seriously like that, an alternative standard is proposed.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Ive only been skim reading this thread, whats the general consensus of when its still ok to kill the baby?

Inside the body, good?
    Outside the body, bad?
    Babies are outside the body.
    Foetuses are inside.
    Happy to clarify.

That's why killing a foetus doesn't carry exactly the same penalty as killing a baby.

SeanW wrote: »
    1) According to some people (whether because of religious influence or otherwise) an unborn child is still a human being.

I think everyone agrees that an unborn child is a human being, people just disagree at what stage it is considered as such.

lazygal wrote: »
    Babies are outside the body.
    Foetuses are inside.
    Happy to clarify.

That's why killing a foetus doesn't carry exactly the same penalty as killing a baby.

I dont know what the law is in Ireland but killing a Fetus does carry the exact same penalty as killing a baby in Northern Ireland, life imprisonment.

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I dont know what the law is in Ireland but killing a Fetus does carry the exact same penalty as killing a baby in Northern Ireland, life imprisonment.

But you can kill a foetus here if your life is at risk. Or you can bring it elsewhere to kill it. You can't be charged with murder for doing so. In fact there is a constitutional right to travel if you want to kill the unborn elsewhere, as well as information on killing the unborn. The same does not apply where people wish to kill a born baby.

Advertisement