Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Lydia Foy new case.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah yeah but if you're a straight guy and your woman suddenly reveals she used to be a man, it's going to be kind of hard to get it out of your mind that she used to be a man.

Meh.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Why post the link when it completely went against what you said? It's almost like you're being contrary or condescending for the sake of it rather than actually wanting to address any questions people may have. Almost.

I have no idea of the point you are trying to make.

Why is is not likely to happen?

So bleedin what if it happens.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Meh.

Great response.

Why is is not likely to happen?

Because people who fall in love tend to be honest with each other.

• Advertisement

So bleedin what if it happens.

Yeah tell that to the average straight guy that he's been shagging a bloke all this time!

MadsL wrote: »

How are things in fantasy land?

I have no idea of the point you are trying to make.
    Anyone who has any questions about this that in any way pick at your view is by your definition a bigot/uneducated/whatever. When someone asks a straightforward question involving precise language rather than address it you either try to ignore it or ignore the follow-ups, as you're doing now, because you're so much better than everyone else.
    Don't worry though, happens all the time in these threads, some people get to inflate their egos without any question from the "enlightened" few and no-one is allowed to question it.

Or maybe I just meant your usual Ireland bashing, who knows?

Do people only have sex when they're in love now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Ah yeah but if you're a straight guy and your woman suddenly reveals she used to be a man, it's going to be kind of hard to get it out of your mind that she used to be a man.

So far I've kept out of all this legal document/born male crap because..well because it's cliched but honest to god what has that got to do with it? I mean do you normally ask women for a look at their birthcerts before you sleep with them and now this law will destroy that filter process for you? Transsexuals don't generally go around deceiving people they are considering getting into relationships with because it would serve us no purpose, best case scenario we'd probably lose a person we cared about and worst case scenario we'd probably get the crap kicked out of us. Hard as it is to believe most of us are honest and up front from the start because it is easier to take if a person rejects you then rather than a year into the relationship.

• Advertisement

Yeah tell that to the average straight guy that he's been shagging a bloke all this time!

Oh the horror! What if he catches the ghey?

What do you suggest, a special cloth star to worn by trans people?

Anyone who has any questions about this that in any way pick at your view is by your definition a bigot/uneducated/whatever. When someone asks a straightforward question involving precise language rather than address it you either try to ignore it or ignore the follow-ups, as you're doing now, because you're so much better than everyone else.
    Don't worry though, happens all the time in these threads, some people get to inflate their egos without any question from the "enlightened" few and no-one is allowed to question it.

I'll answer any questions you have and I promise I won't get offended and will treat your questions with respect as long as you promise to ask them in a respectful manner, hows that?

Chunners wrote: »
    I'll answer any questions you have and I promise I won't get offended and will treat your questions with respect as long as you promise to ask them in a respectful manner, hows that?

Cool. Simplest one first, though you probably have a different view than MadsL has and will have some actual logical underpinning behind it, if sex is based on physiology then how does gender reassignment surgery affect sex? Specifically in the case of document of record such as a birth certificate.

Oh the horror! What if he catches the ghey?

What do you suggest, a special cloth star to worn by trans people?

Lol relax no one is going to put you in a concentration camp for being a transsexual. I have been thinking recently about the scenario I've described and like I say a straight man is unlikely to accept transsexual man as a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Do you mean in terms of pronouns he or she?

OK you see I would tend to read Male/Female as biologically determined.

Also I can logically separate the idea of manhood etc as being a cultural referenced so man to me would be a gender, not sex referencing term

Like I think I can correctly say that Dr.Foy was born a Girl and Male. Or that as a young woman Dr.Foy was a healthy young male?

Whereas for the pronouns he and she, your coming across something that to me would reference both physical attributes but also the cultural aspect of gender. Now I wouldn't deliberately use the "wrong" pronoun for a person that identified as a different gender to the sex they were born with.

What I am trying to get at is the inflexibility of our language in dealing with this sort of scenario and I am curious if my thinking on it is flawed.

As someone with an interest in biology and anthropology I find it interesting from a theoretical perspective, however I understand that my theoretical interest is about something that is effecting people directly, so apologies for any unintended offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Lol relax no one is going to put you in a concentration camp for being a transsexual. I have been thinking recently about the scenario I've described and like I say a straight man is unlikely to accept transsexual man as a woman.

Not all transsexuals are straight.

Anyone who has any questions about this that in any way pick at your view is by your definition a bigot/uneducated/whatever.

Care to give an example where I have insulted anyone in this thread?
    When someone asks a straightforward question involving precise language rather than address it you either try to ignore it or ignore the follow-ups, as you're doing now, because you're so much better than everyone else.
    I didn't see your post, you pointed it out and I addressed it. I still have no clue as to your point. How that makes me " so much better than everyone else" I have no idea.

What does that have to do with me or the topic at hand?

Now we get to the real chip on your shoulder, does it rankle that I point out the Irish State has taken 21 years to resolve this matter. I would be highly amused if you care to defend that timescale. Please, go ahead.

Why does an image of Alan Partridge pop into my head?

I hear I'm a transexual now, Father.

Cool. Simplest one first, though you probably have a different view than MadsL has and will have some actual logical underpinning behind it, if sex is based on physiology then how does gender reassignment surgery affect sex? Specifically in the case of document of record such as a birth certificate.

It doesn't, reassignment or not I will still have been born a natal male so at the time the birth cert was filled out it was 100% correct. After reassignment it will still be a 100% correct document. But, as Joey was saying, the original document isn't altered in any way. It stays as it is with Male still on it and a copy of it is issues and it is only on the copy that male is changed to female. Like when you get a birth cert they don't give you the original, they give you a copy, well this law will allow us apply to have the copy altered to reflect our new gender.

Why does an image of Alan Partridge pop into my head?

I hear I'm a transexual now, Father.

Lol at the stupid Fr Ted quote.

Alan Partridge is good though.

• Advertisement

Care to give an example where I have insulted anyone in this thread?
    We both know you've been around long enough to not do it outright.

I didn't see your post, you pointed it out and I addressed it. I still have no clue as to your point. How that makes me " so much better than everyone else" I have no idea.
    Your argument was a link which didn't back up what you were saying. It was lazy and dismissive.

What does that have to do with me or the topic at hand?
    Just backing up the point I was trying to make.

Now we get to the real chip on your shoulder, does it rankle that I point out the Irish State has taken 21 years to resolve this matter. I would be highly amused if you care to defend that timescale. Please, go ahead.
    130 posts in this thread over a couple of years, speaking of timescales. :P When there's a case brought against any government they're not too likely to change legislation or whatever until they have to. All the way back to your OP you mentioned the cost of fighting the case, likely works out cheaper than drafting and passing legislation.

a straight man is unlikely to accept transsexual man as a woman.
    Many do. You cant generalise.

Terry Pratchet

Many do. You cant generalise.

You could be right. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Chunners wrote: »
    It doesn't, reassignment or not I will still have been born a natal male so at the time the birth cert was filled out it was 100% correct. After reassignment it will still be a 100% correct document. But, as Joey was saying, the original document isn't altered in any way. It stays as it is with Male still on it and a copy of it is issues and it is only on the copy that male is changed to female. Like when you get a birth cert they don't give you the original, they give you a copy, well this law will allow us apply to have the copy altered to reflect our new gender.
    So it's sex-reassignment rather than gender-reassignment?
    Should the birthcert copies be updateable for anything else in your opinion?
    Again, your final sentence just seems contradictory, if your gender has changed (or been confirmed or allowed to show itself or whatever) isn't that a separate thing from your sex changing?

You could be right. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Its like this. There are many Roy and Hayley Croppers out there.

Terry Pratchet

We both know you've been around long enough to not do it outright.

Do what? Insult people? I don't.
    Your argument was a link which didn't back up what you were saying. It was lazy and dismissive.
    That wasn't my argument. 130 posts will testify to that.

Just backing up the point I was trying to make.
    I don't think you have made one yet.

30 posts in this thread over a couple of years, speaking of timescales. :P When there's a case brought against any government they're not too likely to change legislation or whatever until they have to.

Is that so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_aspects_of_transsexualism#mediaviewer/File:World_concerning_gender_identity-expression_laws.png
    All the way back to your OP you mentioned the cost of fighting the case, likely works out cheaper than drafting and passing legislation.

I find that unlikely. Look, I'm trying to save the Irish taxpayer money, remind me again how that is "Ireland bashing"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Its like this. There are many Roy and Hayley Croppers out there.

there are a few of course, but most straight men would not like to date a transsexual

and I would bet its the same for straight women

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

nokia69 wrote: »
    there are a few of course, but most straight men would not like to date a transsexual

and I would bet its the same for straight women

Quick, something must be done! What do you propose???

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Oh Jesus...facepalm.

Advertisement