Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Location Thread Rules thread

• 25-10-2014 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

How many guesses whould we allow per post 15 votes

0%
    60%
    artanevillaFuzzy Clamcaptainwangred seanDBBFred SwansonJoeseph BallsInto The BlueTo Elland Back 9 votes
    13%
    h3000locum-motion 2 votes
    Unlimited
    26%
    Pawwed RigbyhookorbycrookRed HareMaggotBrain 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited

We don't have any rules on it as such afaik but I guess if someone is being a dick it falls under the sitewide rules. I don't follow the thread personally so just report any that you think are taking the peas and we will look at them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    I been looking at it this evening. That pic was fairly 'difficult' alright. Fair play to Josip for getting it on his 476th guess though.
    I don't want to jump into a thread and start making rules for the regulars as it is more your thread than mine and has never generated anything in the way of trouble but if a few of you want to draft a few ground rules I would be happy to put them into post number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I been looking at it this evening. That pic was fairly 'difficult' alright. Fair play to Josip for getting it on his 476th guess though.
    I don't want to jump into a thread and start making rules for the regulars as it is more your thread than mine and has never generated anything in the way of trouble but if a few of you want to draft a few ground rules I would be happy to put them into post number 1.

Lately, a few posters have been forgetting that one of the few rules that the thread DOES already have (in post #1) is that it has to be in the Rep. of Ireland.

Unlimited
    Lately, a few posters have been forgetting that one of the few rules that the thread DOES already have (in post #1) is that it has to be in the Rep. of Ireland.

There seems to have been another thread before this one and no rules were carried across in post number 1 of the new thread. Therefore we can't expect new posters to know. I can stick some in but would rather those who are regulars on the thread draft them.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Also, perhaps a little clarification as to when one is allowed post a new image. I would suggest:

1. Correct guesser gets to post next, unless they say "Go ahead, whoever wants"
    2. Correct guesser should wait for confirmation from the poster that they are actually correct before posting, unless the poster hasn't come back to the thread for a few hours.
    3. If posting before the poster has confirmed the location, then the correct guesser should provide evidence that their guess was correct, such as an unredacted Google Streetview image of the same location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Picture should contain at least one public point of reference. i.e. Church, shop, pub, river, cliff, mountain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Also, perhaps a little clarification as to when one is allowed post a new image. I would suggest:

2. Correct guesser should wait for confirmation from the poster that they are actually correct before posting, unless the poster hasn't come back to the thread for a few hours.
    3. If posting before the poster has confirmed the location, then the correct guesser should provide evidence that their guess was correct, such as an unredacted Google Streetview image of the same location.

If the correct guesser hasn't posted a PIC in 24 hrs it's open to the community to post a PIC

Move the thread from cool pics to quizzes..

Unlimited
    Picture should contain at least one public point of reference. i.e. Church, shop, pub, river, cliff, mountain

You should probably avoid this thread then :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057314601

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

4. Since the thread is called "Guess the Village/Town/City" the guesses should be restricted to Village or Town or City! :D

Unlimited
    Ok I have set up a new thread which we will keep open for a couple of weeks to trash out what you guys want. Can we say November 10th?

Is there any appetite to extend this to N Ireland? After all we may have posters from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

A housing estate in a Town, Village or City dies not make it a Town, Village or City in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I think there should be a twenty four hour limit on this. I know on some occasions when I've guessed correctly I've forgotten to come back to the thread and post a new clue. The thread can end up dead for a few days which takes the momentum out of the game.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

A housing estate in a Town, Village or City dies not make it a Town, Village or City in my opinion

I remember a few months back someone posted a crossing on a back road or something. Not even a house in view

I think northern Ireland should be included in this.
    For a start, it opens up more places and also there are probably lots of northern people on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Unlimited
    The main problem is that some do not want to post in the spirit of the thread.

Sure but everyone might not be aware what the spirit of the thread is so we can nail that down in a few basic ground rules to remove any ambiguity.

If the correct guesser hasn't posted a PIC in 24 hrs it's open to the community to post a PIC...

Yes
    ...Move the thread from cool pics to quizzes..

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I was thinking of suggesting that regulars who are certain of a correct location might go ahead, but maybe the rule is more for the benefit of the original poster of that location so they don't have to hunt back through several rounds of the contest?

It doesn't matter to me if people go ahead as long as they are 100% sure and I think regular players know when they are 100% sure of a location.

I was thinking of suggesting that regulars who are certain of a correct location might go ahead, but maybe the rule is more for the benefit of the original poster of that location so they don't have to hunt back through several rounds of the contest?

It doesn't matter to me if people go ahead as long as they are 100% sure and I think regular players know when they are 100% sure of a location.

The first one I ever posted, another poster guessed incorrectly and then posted a new one. That's why I suggested that either the OP has to confirm, or the new poster has to provide evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can I have clarification of a rule? Somebody recently mentioned the " three guess rule." I took the trouble to locate OP in the original thread, which specifies " only three guesses per post." What exactly does this mean? Can I post 30 times with 3 guesses each time, or having posted 3 guesses must I wait for an adjudication before posting again? Or am I out after three incorrect guesses. Sorry if I breached the rule in the past, but I wasn't in at the start of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

theres no point in having rules mentioned recently or in another thread
    post #1 of this thread is where they should be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I posted a few weeks ago that the scattergunning has pretty much ruined this thread for me, I'm not sure what satisfaction it gives to anyone to get it on their 20th guess when they've basically been led to the answer through a series of hot and colds. I remember when I first came across this thread I was delighted to get one right from having recognised the village (think it was Milford in North Cork, it was eating me up for a few hours but it finally hit me, that would never happen now).
    Anyway this post is a bit off topic but I'm just putting it out there, perhaps a new set of rules would do no harm, the mission shouldn't be just to get it as soon as possible IMO.

feargale wrote: »
    Can I have clarification of a rule? Somebody recently mentioned the " three guess rule." I took the trouble to locate OP in the original thread, which specifies " only three guesses per post." What exactly does this mean? Can I post 30 times with 3 guesses each time, or having posted 3 guesses must I wait for an adjudication before posting again? Or am I out after three incorrect guesses. Sorry if I breached the rule in the past, but I wasn't in at the start of this.
    ganmo wrote: »
    theres no point in having rules mentioned recently or in another thread
    post #1 of this thread is where they should be
    I posted a few weeks ago that the scattergunning has pretty much ruined this thread for me, I'm not sure what satisfaction it gives to anyone to get it on their 20th guess when they've basically been led to the answer through a series of hot and colds. I remember when I first came across this thread I was delighted to get one right from having recognised the village (think it was Milford in North Cork, it was eating me up for a few hours but it finally hit me, that would never happen now).
    Anyway this post is a bit off topic but I'm just putting it out there, perhaps a new set of rules would do no harm, the mission shouldn't be just to get it as soon as possible IMO.

Guys,
    A mod posted a thread recently for discussing the formulation of a new set of rules for the thread.
    I suggest you contribute there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Perhaps, but if you compare the level of significant detail in the earlier pics and in recent pics there is a strong case for the BFG 9000.

Castlepollard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Guys,
    A mod posted a thread recently for discussing the formulation of a new set of rules for the thread.
    I suggest you contribute there.

Guess the link location!!!

Armelodie wrote: »

Here you go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057314799

Now, let me know next time you need a 5hite and I'll come and wipe your ar5e for you too!

Regarding the scattergun problem, which has become a bit of a necessity for some of the pictures I propose some or all of the following:
    1. More significant detail in the original picture.
    2. Original pictures to be large in size, there've been a few thumbnails.
    3. OP doesn't confirm/deny the county for the first 30 guesses.
    4. Only 1 guess per post
    5. Guessers can't have successive goes. If you've guessed incorrectly, you can't go again until someone else guesses.
    6. Limit the number of guesses per participant to 3 per day, policed by the OP and other "guessers".

Armelodie wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057314799&page=2

(Edit) Damn you locum-motion!

(Edit 2) Woohoo, wormhole...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This thread was a very good idea but only in so far as helpful posts and comments. Insults or flippant negative remarks are not necessary and certainly not in the spirit of any thread on this site imo and should be left un-said.

Great suggestions thus far imo; including:
    ~ a landmark of some kind in the image posted
    ~ an actual village at very least
    ~ maybe 2posts per poster each time
    ~ no successive postings by someone, wait until at least one other poster has guessed also
    ~ whoever guesses correctly, to post a picture. The OP can be amended with details incl images explaining how this is done for people who don't already know. It's a nice new skill to have
    ~ if someone cannot post due to some other issue, than not knowing how, then say something simple like 'whoever wants to go next can ...'
    ~ time-frame if no-one posts a new image, yeah 24hours sounds fair as it would give those who got the right answer a chance to log back in again
    ~ if someone thinks they have the right answer but original poster has not been on to say so, if they post a link to the image guessed to prove they are correct, then that would be good
    ~ I'd also like to include all of Ireland, North & South in this game
    ~ that people keep it light-hearted and fun and not take it/get too serious about this 'Guess the ...' game

yeah, the above would be my suggestion(s) to this thread anywhoo,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

There's been some good suggestions for guidelines/rules for the game.

Are we now approaching a consensus? I think we are.

Pawwed, can I suggest that the time has now come to lock "Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 2", start "Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 3", and include the rules in Post #1?

Advertisement