Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Location Thread Rules thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    feargale wrote: »
    I suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you read post 48 here. If you have already done so I suggest that you read it again to refresh your memory.

Indeed. Post 48, an attempt at backseat modding by feargale.
    If you have nothing to add other than trying the hurry the 1 mod (not three) that has posted in this thread then maybe this thread is not for you. Very busy in real life at the moment so I will get to this in time.
    feargale wrote: »
    Finally, do it any way you want. I'm outa here. I've better things to be doing than contributing to this and getting talked down to for my trouble. Thanks for the civility.
    328104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I was thinking about rules but in all honesty the contest seems to be running along fairly smoothly over this past year or so, and we always seem to get there in the end, why not just leave it as is? There was perhaps one instance where somebody thought they had the right location, posted a new picture, then were told they had guessed wrong. No big deal, so we had two pictures to search for that one time.

As to where it should be located on boards, this seems like the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Unlimited
    I have left out thanks and seconds but i think this is an accurate summary;
    1) Follow the spirit of the thread ( Fred Swanson)
    2) Not being a dick ( Pawwed Rig)
    3) Correct guesser gets to post next, unless they say "Go ahead, whoever wants" ( locum-motion) Correct guesser should wait for confirmation from the poster that they are actually correct before posting, unless the poster hasn't come back to the thread for a few hours. (locum-motion) If posting before the poster has confirmed the location, then the correct guesser should provide evidence that their guess was correct, such as an unredacted Google Streetview image of the same location ( locum- motion)
    4) Picture should contain at least one public point of reference. i.e. Church, shop, pub, river, cliff, mountain ( To Elland Back)
    5) If the correct guesser hasn't posted a PIC in 24 hrs it's open to the community to post a PIC ( Into The Blue )
    6)Move the thread from cool pics to quizzes ( Into The Blue)
    7) the guesses should be restricted to Village or Town or City! ( Grumpy Me)
    8) Extend the game to Northern Ireland ( Pawwed Rig) ( bubblypop)
    9) the Correct guesser should have a limit of 24 hours to post the next image ( h3000)
    10)use of the scattergun should be curtailed ( Swiper the Fox)
    11)Clarification of the three post rule is needed ( Feargale)
    12) the mission shouldn't be just to get it as soon as possible ( Swiper the Fox)
    13) Lack of significant detail necessitates the use of the scattergun ( Josip)
    14) More significant detail in the original picture. (Josip)
    15) Original pictures to be large in size, there've been a few thumbnails.( Josip)
    16) OP doesn't confirm/deny the county for the first 30 guesses. ( Josip)
    Only 1 guess per post
    17) Guessers can't have successive goes. If you've guessed incorrectly, you can't go again until someone else guesses.( Josip)
    18)Limit the number of guesses per participant to 3 per day, policed by the OP and other "guessers". ( Josip)
    ~ a landmark of some kind in the image posted(kerry4sam)
    ~ an actual village at very least(kerry4sam)
    ~ maybe 2posts per poster each time(kerry4sam)
    ~ no successive postings by someone, wait until at least one other poster has guessed also(kerry4sam)
    ~ whoever guesses correctly, to post a picture. The OP can be amended with details incl images explaining how this is done for people who don't already know. It's a nice new skill to have(kerry4sam)
    ~ if someone cannot post due to some other issue, than not knowing how, then say something simple like 'whoever wants to go next can ...'
    ~ time-frame if no-one posts a new image, yeah 24hours sounds fair as it would give those who got the right answer a chance to log back in again(kerry4 sam)
    ~ if someone thinks they have the right answer but original poster has not been on to say so, if they post a link to the image guessed to prove they are correct, then that would be good
    ~ I'd also like to include all of Ireland, North & South in this game
    ~ that people keep it light-hearted and fun and not take it/get too serious about this 'Guess the ...' game(kerry 4 sam)
    19) if the image is obscure then more guesses and a hot/ cold approach should be used - otherwise how can the correct village/town/city be guessed at! ( Red Hare)
    19) Leave things as they are - the game is working! ( MT Cranium)
    20) Cool Vids & Pics & links is the best location of the game ( MT Cranium)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    Thanks for the synopsis Red Hare and apologies for the delay in addressing this.
    I propose the following guidelines for post 1 of the thread

1. Post a screen shot of a village, town or city on the Island of Ireland;
    2. Picture should contain at least one public point of reference. i.e. Church, shop, pub, river, cliff, mountain;
    3. Where the pic is proving too difficult a further more obvious pic of the village, town or city should be posted;
    4. Correct guesser gets to post next, unless they waive their go on thread;
    5. Correct guesser should wait for confirmation from the poster that they are actually correct before posting, unless the poster hasn't come back to the thread for a few hours;
    6. If the correct guesser hasn't posted a pic in 24 hrs it's open to the community to post a new pic;
    7. Max 3 guesses per post and no successive posting;
    8. OP doesn't confirm/deny the county for the first 30 guesses;
    9. keep it light-hearted and fun.

With regards to moving the thread to another forum I don't think that would be appropriate given the size of the thread and the history in this forum. That said if people feel very strongly about it then you could approach the mods of the other forum and start a new thread there.

This is not a definitive set of rules and is posted for discussion purposes.

I would also like to include info on how to actually post an image if one of you could do up a step by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would also like to include info on how to actually post an image if one of you could do up a step by step.

Here's how I do it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92518101&postcount=3271
    There's probably other more efficient ways, but:

1. Find a place on Google Streetview
    2. Ctrl+PrntScrn
    3. Open MS Paint or something
    4. Paste
    5. Scribble over any indentifying features
    6. Save the file on your computer
    7. Add it as an attachment to your post
    8. Follow the link in your own post, and Copy it
    9. Edit your post, and click on the little mountains & sun icon with the yellow sky
    10. Paste in your link, and Save your edited post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

6. Save it to your computer.
    7. Upload to wthax.org
    8. Copy link to new post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Note you can also save the google earth image and open it in a program such as ACDsee that allows you to crop the picture, thus eliminating certain details near the edges or for that matter if it works, a sign or other tell-tale clue.

Unlimited
    Last call for feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I don't see why three guesses should be allowed per post.
    Personally I think it has improved of late, there's one up at the moment that looks very obvious but it's taking ages, a few weeks ago it would have been narrowed down in an hour and scattergunned to death until it was got, now somebody will come along and see it and be delighted to get it, how it should be IMO, if you don't know it and have never even been there you've no business getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Unlimited
    I think three guesses should be allowed per post if its the case that the county will not be confirmed until 30 guesses have been made and guesses can't be made in a sequence by the same person.

I think its all dependent on the quality of the images posted - the recent Donegal one had lots of clues but most images don't and require some probing relative to the lack of clues in the image.

I think the Rules should be reviewed after a month or so to see if things are working as well as they have been recently.

Unlimited
    Ok I'll take the 1 guess or 3 guesses per post back to you all in a months time along with everything else to see how it is going. In the meantime I have updated post 1 of the thread with the 'rules'.

I will close this for the meantime and chat to you all again in a month.
    Thanks for all the input.

Unlimited
    So the new rules have been in for 6 weeks or so. Any feedback of how you all think it is working?

Better, worse, sames?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm much happier now that the scattergun approach has been less in evidence, the pictures are lasting a bit longer which I like personally.

Unlimited
    Should we go to one guess per post as previously suggested or are we happy with max three?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm much happier now that the scattergun approach has been less in evidence, the pictures are lasting a bit longer which I like personally.

Agreed, it's better thnks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Should we go to one guess per post as previously suggested or are we happy with max three?

I'd prefer one per post, since it's less scattergun.
    But I don't feel strongly enough about it to annoy anyone who wants to keep 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Unlimited

That is going to happen though as people join the thread or do not read the rules or even just do it by accident. I did it myself with 2 consecutive guesses:eek:

Where this happens just report the post and the mods will deal with it. It is not something I would be interested in infracting though unless it was a poster who repeatedly had to be 'reminded' of what is acceptable or not as you don't want to make joining in too much of a chore

Are we happy with the NI posts being allowed? I think it gives the game a new dimension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

32 counties and one guess per post definitely.

Also, thanks for the work you put in. Vast improvement.

• Advertisement

Unlimited
    32 counties and one guess per post definitely.

Ok poll added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Unlimited
    Can we have a rule like this:

After 24 hours, OP posts Province it is in.
    After 48 hours, OP posts County it is in.
    After 72 hours, OP posts an obvious clue.

Unlimited
    Re the International thread, it has come to my attention that we never applied a set of guidelines there. Most have assumed the same rules ad the village town thread but I have noticed others may not be aware of them or whether they apply.
    On that basis I am proposing to copy/amend the rules for inclusion in the international thread as listed

Guidelines for posting

1. Post a screen shot of a town or city outside of Ireland;
    2. Picture should contain at least one public point of reference. i.e. Church, monument, pub, river, cliff, mountain;
    3. Where the pic is proving too difficult a the poster can give clues or post a further more obvious pic of the town or city should be posted;
    4. Correct guesser gets to post next, unless they waive their go on thread;
    5. Correct guesser should wait for confirmation from the poster that they are actually correct before posting, unless the poster hasn't come back to the thread for a few hours or they can post the same pic from street view;
    6. If the correct guesser hasn't posted a pic in 24 hrs or has not responded to a guess within 24 hours it's open to the community to post a new pic;
    7. 1 guess per post and no successive posting;
    8. OP doesn't confirm/deny the country for the first 30 guesses;
    9. keep it light-hearted and fun.

Here is how to post a pic
    1. Find a place on Google Streetview
    2. Ctrl+PrntScrn
    3. Open MS Paint or something
    4. Paste
    5. Scribble over any indentifying features
    6. Save the file on your computer
    7. Add it as an attachment to your post
    8. Follow the link in your own post, and Copy it
    9. Edit your post, and click on the little mountains & sun icon with the yellow sky
    10. Paste in your link, and Save your edited post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hey.

I think the rules are pretty good. I would stretch the one guess per poster though, maybe one guess per day or something?
    No confirming or denying country for first 30 posts is pretty restrictive I think. I'd allow the OP to decided themselves whether or not that's warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

;
    8. OP doesn't confirm/deny the country for the first 30 guesses;

For the international one I think the poster should acknowledge when the correct country is guessed.

I'd also suggest that they acknowledge when the correct region/province/geographical area is guessed, especially if the reasoning behind the guess is validated.

E.g. if someone says they think it's the Basque country because of the design of the houses then this should be acknowledged if correct.

We haven't all been to each country or region mentioned so it might make things easier or more fun.

Unlimited
    Maybe, it is a discussion worth having. I don't think people should be posting obscure parts of international locations. It should be somewhere that it is feasible that other posters may have visited or else some clear visual so when someone tries to rule out then whole world bar one small part in one guess where they name a country it is the equivalent of a scattergun approach in my opinion which we specifically went against on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Imo if the OP has a picture up, someone can guess once, but must wait for the OP to confirm/deny that guess before guessing again. That stops spam, some of what I've seen a lot of.

Unlimited
    I haven't seen any spam in the threads at all. Can you clarify what you mean here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I haven't seen any spam in the threads at all. Can you clarify what you mean here?

Eg, I 10 times on 10 different posts before the OP has a chance to clarify whether I'm right or wrong. That gets the pages very spammy, especially when there is several culprits. Greenland the other night was a great example.

• Advertisement

Unlimited
    Greenland the other night was a great example of what shouldn't be posted in the thread imo. Noone would ever have gotten that other than to do what I and others did and go through each town in Greenland one by one guessing. The thread can't be similar to the Irish one in that we post obscure towns and villages as the world is too big to accomodate it. If on the international thread towns that noone ever heard of are being posted I think it is against the spirit of the thread.
    That said that is my opinion is not the be all and end all which is why we need this discussion

Advertisement