Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guess the Location Thread Rules thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited

What do you suggest?
    Bear in mind some people do not have constant access to internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hang on, there's an international thread?
    Nobody told me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    So far we have 1 guess per day being the only change to the old rules. Any further in put? Going once.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Im in agreement with Fred.

If that rule was enacted it would ruin the thread, not being helped by the current rules.

If there are 5 users posting on the fourm a day, it would take 6 days to get enough guesses to confirm the county! That's ridiculous.

The best rule IMO is the one I have posted above, a user can only post one guess and must wait until the poster of the photo has confirmed/ denied that guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

How about that the winning post has to include the link to the spot the mystery pic was taken from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Unlimited
    The Rules are working well as they are now. It would drag the game out too much to restrict it to one guess per day. Why slow it down? I find that when I am the person posting the pic then it too much to commit to the game for more than a few hours by the computer at one time ( My phone is 9 years old - no internet). I couldnt play the game and have it go on for days on end. Timely guesses are where its at for me - not one guess per day!!!

Sorry for the rant:)

Unlimited
    Cool. Any other suggestions?
    How about the confirming the country issue

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Cool. Any other suggestions?
    How about the confirming the country issue

After 10 guesses, that seems fair as the world is a big place.

• Advertisement

Unlimited

Yeah I would have thought that was obvious. I saw the back and forth on the thread but there was not actually any pic from outside of Ireland so didn't see any reason to act on it.

The clue is in the thread title :pac:
    Also in the OP
    There's a popular thread in this forum called Guess the Location (town or village) and the locations are always in Ireland.

So I was thinking, might be fun to have a parallel thread where you can guess the location around the world.

Unlimited
    Report any that you see and we will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The pitch one is truly taking the piss all right.

The 1 guess rule has also been flagrantly disregarded by the new and the old.

Unlimited
    enda1 wrote: »
    The 1 guess rule has also been flagrantly disregarded by the new and the old.

Report any that you see and we will sort it.

Unlimited

Agreed but in general I think it has turned into little more than a guessing game. First guess continent then country then city.

Could I suggest that a brief restatement of the rules be made in line with the thread at this stage by a mod, just to cut down on the uncertainty and chatter?

Unlimited
    enda1 wrote: »
    Could I suggest that a brief restatement of the rules be made in line with the thread at this stage by a mod, just to cut down on the uncertainty and chatter?

Done and title updated pointing everyone to post 1

• Advertisement

Unlimited
    How do we feel on this rule?

OP doesn't confirm/deny the country for the first 30 guesses;

This one has been ignored by everyone. Will we abandon/enforce/reduce??

I think that's fair enough in the end.
    The country/continent confirmation in hindsight has ruined it somewhat.

Unlimited
    We'll see how it goes with the rules highlighted anyway. Please report any issues including off topic posting and bickering. Thanks.

I think the first 30 posts is excessive. 20 should be correct in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Unlimited
    Yeah , I think 20 posts is better than 30, its much more realistic to get people to stick to

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How do we feel on this rule?

OP doesn't confirm/deny the country for the first 30 guesses;

This one has been ignored by everyone. Will we abandon/enforce/reduce??
    Red Hare wrote: »
    Yeah , I think 20 posts is better than 30, its much more realistic to get people to stick to

Can there also be a time limit on this ?

Some pics are not descriptive enough to narrow it down to a few countries and it could be any of dozens of countries.
    And yes I have been guilty of this.
    And before some get on their high horses, some prominent long term posters have put up some questionable ones too.

Anyway after 24 hours if you are going to have hints why not allow country guesses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

jmayo wrote: »
    Can there also be a time limit on this ?

Some pics are not descriptive enough to narrow it down to a few countries and it could be any of dozens of countries.

After 24 hours if you are going to have hints why not allow country guesses ?

I'm agreed on this. Current pic being an example http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96063827&postcount=4009

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Personally I think country guesses should be allowed straight away as it keeps the thread moving along a lot quicker.

If not, at a bare minimum after 24 hours or 10 guesses. Some photos (including ones I put up), could be literally anywhere in North America or Europe.

Advertisement