Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olivia Mitchell "We should expand our gene pool"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

First Up wrote: »
    She may not have expressed it as well as she might but my interpretation of what Mitchell said is that societies benefit from exposure to and influence from others. That is an indisputable fact. It has nothing to do with racism or eugenics.

Well she should not be in office if she doesn't know how to communicate to the public in a professional manner. Her education wreaks of poorness. Do we really need another idiot in control of this country ?. IMO, no, we don't. She's just another idiot we could do without IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, Nodin, do you really/seriously think all Irish men have hairy arses and hairy backs ?. I'm 45 and I have no hair in these places all thanks to my ultimate genes and DNA. No hairy bastard here. So I would advise you to get the shaver out and slide it over your said hairy anomalies. :D

You Sir, have dehaired yourself in pursuit of foreign fashions. Go, go in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

kneemos wrote: »
    We need more supermodels,or women,as the east Europeans call them.

so true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This is such BS. I could count the amount of mixed race children I know on the fingers of one hand. Most immigrants who come here come with their immigrant wife or husband and together have children who arent ethnically irish. Many of these children ,probably the majority, will marry other men and women of same race or ethnicity. 99% of of irish people mary other irish people.

Its not like the celtic tiger suddenly made mixed race marriages a common thing in ireland:confused:
    Immigration has such a minimal impact on our white irish gene pool. Im actually getting pissed off just thinking about how retarded some of the politicans in our country are

Nodin wrote: »
    You Sir, have dehaired yourself in pursuit of foreign fashions. Go, go in shame.

I do have a downside to this non-hairyness bodily scenario... My nick-name is Beard, and as you should realise, the majority of hair accumulates on my face like grizzly adams, so it does take a lot of work to release my facade of hairyness with a good shave daily.

It's like my DNA was messed with and forwarded all my bodily hair to my chin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Are you upset over something?

lol

This from the boards self anointed queen of outrage?

Has someone taken over your account?

Theres wacism everywhere..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I do have a downside to this non-hairyness bodily scenario... My nick-name is Beard, and as you should realise, the majority of hair accumulates on my face like grizzly adams, so it does take a lot of work to release my facade of hairyness with a good shave daily.

It's like my DNA was messed with and forwarded all my bodily hair to my chin.

My apologies, I didn't mean to mock your condition. Don't worry, every day science brings us closer to a cure for ass baldness.

My apologies, I didn't mean to mock your condition. Don't worry, every day science brings us closer to a cure for ass baldness.

What breeding solution have you in mind?

reprise wrote: »
    What breeding solution have you in mind?

Maybe these ? ye never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It isn't down to specific races. There is a reasonable argument that a gene pool is strengthened by people who are motivated and ambitious enough to leave their familiar surroundings and try to better themselves. The US is the obvious example and so are Canada and Australia.
    As well as improving our stock of good looking women (and probably our soccer and rugby teams) we will be the better for the injection of people wiling to put in a shift, instead of whinging on Boards or complaining to Joe Duffy.

That wouldn't help long term IQ though because of regression to the mean.

• Advertisement

Maybe these ? ye never know.

:eek:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is Alan Shatter gone tranny this weather, Ted?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is Alan Shatter gone tranny this weather, Ted?

He's gone fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Yer woman is completely full of it and deservedly mocked, but there's a point to be made about having the highest incidences of Cystic Fibrosis and certain other genetic diseases in Europe. Pointless points, the world is a smaller place now thanks to cheap travel and the internet and so the gene pool is diversifying anyway.
    the majority of hair accumulates on my face like grizzly adams.

His name is Gerry. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If this idiot of a person scanned through Irish history she would see we have and probably will continue to punch well above our weight in the intelligence department.

I can definitely see what she means by the looks department but on a whole we're not a tall people nation really. Think we average out for men at 5 foot 8 or 9 or something. The good looks are just down to us and a lack of actually caring about ourselves. Let's face it men from countries like Italy and France know how to take care of themselves or at least work with what they have. A lot of men in Ireland over 40 can't say the same really. Anyway that's a lifestyle thing as opposed to a predisposition in your genetic make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

So the tiger era leaves us with better looking, taller, smarter children. Shame they're so burdened with debt

chrissb8 wrote: »
    If this idiot of a person scanned through Irish history she would see we have and probably will continue to punch well above our weight in the intelligence department.

I can definitely see what she means by the looks department but on a whole we're not a tall people nation really. Think we average out for men at 5 foot 8 or 9 or something. The good looks are just down to us and a lack of actually caring about ourselves. Let's face it men from countries like Italy and France know how to take care of themselves or at least work with what they have. A lot of men in Ireland over 40 can't say the same really. Anyway that's a lifestyle thing as opposed to a predisposition in your genetic make up.

Actually we are a tall nation. Go to africa, china, india, far east , mexico and south america and then come back and tell me irish people arent tall. European countries have the tallest height on average in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bb1234567 wrote: »
    This is such BS. I could count the amount of mixed race children I know on the fingers of one hand. Most immigrants who come here come with their immigrant wife or husband and together have children who arent ethnically irish. Many of these children ,probably the majority, will marry other men and women of same race or ethnicity. 99% of of irish people mary other irish people.

Its not like the celtic tiger suddenly made mixed race marriages a common thing in ireland:confused:
    Immigration has such a minimal impact on our white irish gene pool. Im actually getting pissed off just thinking about how retarded some of the politicans in our country are

Wait a few years. Those children will grow up and marry.

Well she should not be in office if she doesn't know how to communicate to the public in a professional manner. Her education wreaks of poorness. Do we really need another idiot in control of this country ?. IMO, no, we don't. She's just another idiot we could do without IMO.

That doesn't excuse people grabbing the wrong end of the stick and completely misunderstanding the point.

Wait a few years. Those children will grow up and marry.

Its not like theyre all going to marry irish people though. In britain and america there are plenty of non white adults who grew up in those counries since birth and most married other members of their own ethnic group still

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Its not like theyre all going to marry irish people though. In britain and america there are plenty of non white adults who grew up in those counries since birth and most married other members of their own ethnic group still

They don't all have to. There's plenty of mixed race - and mixed nationality - marriages too and there will be here.

As I said in an earlier post, its not just about race; the gene pool will be improved by the inclusion of people with the ambition, motivation and energy enough to leave home and try to better themselves. The US is the prime example of that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In a big way and this was noted by many external observers going way back. The "thick paddy" was very much a 19th century meme(both in the UK and US). At the height of the "land of saints and scholars" we were really punching above our weight. We helped kicked off the first renaissance since the western Roman empire fell. It's unlikely the Carolingian Renaissance would have happened without Irish scholars. One of its chief architects was Alcuin of York who studied under and was heavily influenced by Irish clerics and Irish philosophy and quite a few of those scholars ended up in France and other European centres of learning. They were actively sought out. Guys like John Scottus were giants of intellect. One of the greatest libraries and centres of learning of the middle ages was Bobbio in Italy founded by Columbanus. The early Irish church and the men and women within it had a huge impact on the direction Europe went on to take.
    Population size has much to do with it too. We're small in number so that tends to mean fewer individuals high up in the looks scale(also means fewer down low in the looks scale too). We tend to be softer in the face IMH, less angular. That seems to result in fewer really striking people at both ends of the scale. Still, all in all we're not a particularly unattractive people. We only think we are for some reason. Certainly I've heard enough non Irish folks comment favourably on our general attractiveness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭worded

We have an ugly government. Hopefully foreigners don't think they are representative of the rest of us.

There are patches of Dublin with a disproportionate amount of ugly people though. I think this may be due to a diet of take away food and yokes more than the gene pool.

Hopefully these foreigners brought some cooking skills to pass on to the natives of bugerville.

Commin over here stealin our wimmins

It's all very well these politicians closing down rural hospitals, but what happens when a polish person is choking on a swan bone in the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

They don't all have to. There's plenty of mixed race - and mixed nationality - marriages too and there will be here.

As I said in an earlier post, its not just about race; the gene pool will be improved by the inclusion of people with the ambition, motivation and energy enough to leave home and try to better themselves. The US is the prime example of that.

Outside of a few cities, the US is a sh*thole. It's not a place any sane country would try and replicate.

Outside of a few cities, the US is a sh*thole. It's not a place any sane country would try and replicate.

I'm not talking about the sh*tholes, of which I agree there are many. I'm not a fan of the US as a place to live but one of the reasons it leads the world in technology, finance, education and much more is the energy from the 1 million immigrants it takes in each year and the legacy bestowed by earlier waves of immigrants.

The prevailing culture is positivity and ambition. Yes, I know that sometimes results in grossly inflated and unjustified self-belief but a "can do" culture is so much more attractive - and successful - than the bitch, whinge and blame atmosphere which you get a lot here.

Thinly veiled - Id love a bit of foreign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I don't know about the height, I think we're pretty well balanced across the range. Just look at the Irish diet in general, processed pork products, cheese and bread, bread and more bread. I've had friends complain to me about joint pain and stomach problems etc and their fridge is just full of processed food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Thick?? You should see my father (makes barrel-chest-and-porter-belly shape out in front of torso with hands), he was out like fcukan that, bah!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

That said she's on firmer ground on mixed marriages because that seems to work. There is some indication that mixed race people are better looking.

You think so?Check out some of these beauts.Mixed race people can be as ugly or as attractive as single race people.

http://metro.co.uk/2009/04/07/general-of-manchester-jailed-for-39-years-11508/

Advertisement