Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olivia Mitchell "We should expand our gene pool"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Celtic Tiger immigrants made us better-looking, says Mitchell.

Jesus H christ, I almost had a heart attack when I clicked the OP's link. And she in her own words says the above ?, yeah right, you're a fine looking woman I must say, my god, shocking picture indeed. I need a memory-wipe after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Celtic Tiger immigrants made us better-looking, says Mitchell.

Jesus H christ, I almost had a heart attack when I clicked the OP's link. And she in her own words says the above ?, yeah right, you're a fine looking woman I must say, my god, shocking picture indeed. I need a memory-wipe after that.

Its creepy the way the smile never meets the eyes, isn't it?.....like she was wearing somebody elses face as a mask....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People are really going out of their way to get offended here.

The far-left are trying to insinuate that the mere mention of gene pool is fascist (Even though a fascist would usually want to preserve their gene pool)

The right are appalled that she wants to polute the gene pool (Even though they know as an Island nation we need diversity)

That woman has serious issues coming out with a comment like that. Has she looked in the mirror lately by any chance ffs if she has any mirrors left.

Definitely a terrible and uneducated comment to make from here. Back to further education I'd send her to. Not an ounce of education in that brain of hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

People are really going out of their way to get offended here.

The far-left are trying to insinuate that the mere mention of gene pool is fascist (Even though a fascist would usually want to preserve their gene pool)

The right are appalled that she wants to polute the gene pool (Even though they know as an Island nation we need diversity)

Just asking for consistency. If she believes that the IQ pool is increased by immigration can she list in order the best candidates to come in and possibly countries whose immigration might be dysgenic. ( Or is she saying that the Irish are the stupidest people in the world?).

I doubt her IQ "realism" stops at these shores.

• Advertisement

That said she's on firmer ground on mixed marriages because that seems to work. There is some indication that mixed race people are better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'm reminded of Inspector Chalmers in The Simpsons:

"Class after class of ugly, ugly children."

There's something hauntingly... well, not fascist, but disturbing about Mitchell's comments. But then again, she is an idiot politician. People don't become politicians to prove their intelligence. It's to make up for a lack of it. Sort of like teachers, really.

You're some bell end

Sweeping generalizations much

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Just can't agree with the bolded. I think Irish women are quite behind on culture nuances and interests when it comes to other nations such as mainland europe and eastern europe. Same with interests, Irish women (like Irish men) seem to revolve mainly around getting drunk whereas take a trip any day to go hiking or a nature park and you'll hear mainly Polish people out being active.

'good looking every day women' = plain janes
    'dont take themselves too seriously' = sloppy or gob****es
    'can have a bit of craic' = can drink like a fish

Still though. Irish guys. Phwoarr.

Still though. Irish guys. Phwoarr.

Our hairy backsides, y-fronts and well rounded bellies are the envy of Europe.

Someone should get the whip out to this thing of FG. Sure, the government love the whip-system, so they should use it wisely and whip her until she grows better genes.

Who in the name of politics voted her in ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

If we did expand the gene pool then we might get semi intelligent politicians.
    Who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

As the product of a mixed race couple (Cavan and Dublin), I have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just asking for consistency. If she believes that the IQ pool is increased by immigration can she list in order the best candidates to come in and possibly countries whose immigration might be dysgenic. ( Or is she saying that the Irish are the stupidest people in the world?).

I doubt her IQ "realism" stops at these shores.

It isn't down to specific races. There is a reasonable argument that a gene pool is strengthened by people who are motivated and ambitious enough to leave their familiar surroundings and try to better themselves. The US is the obvious example and so are Canada and Australia.
    As well as improving our stock of good looking women (and probably our soccer and rugby teams) we will be the better for the injection of people wiling to put in a shift, instead of whinging on Boards or complaining to Joe Duffy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

:D Yeah that's a wise statement, well done you passed.

I must say though, this first comment below from the Irish-times sums it up quite correctly...
    The latest in a line of useless idiots, who's attempts at being fashionably "unracist" actually implies racism towards a group (in this case the Irish).
    Though - I understand that racism against Irish people is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I was under the impression that those two tribes were so genetically different that offspring was impossible.

You are either The Golden Child or a parsimonious heroin addict:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Nodin wrote: »

Seriously?

A thread crying out for your unbearable scrutiny, riddled with race references and soft eugenics, and that lazy (self referencing?) slur is all you have?

At least be man enough to explicitly agree, for once in your life.

Nodin wrote: »

No, Nodin, do you really/seriously think all Irish men have hairy arses and hairy backs ?. I'm 45 and I have no hair in these places all thanks to my ultimate genes and DNA. No hairy bastard here. So I would advise you to get the shaver out and slide it over your said hairy anomalies. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I know this is after hours but really focusing on the looks issue when she is basically saying that
    1) There is a genetic link to IQ
    2) Certain ethnicities and/or racial groups have higher IQ's
    3) The Irish have low IQ's that need a bit of mixing to boost it

If your going to be progressive thinking at least be consistent, FFS she's a TD she has potential to actually influence things.

Otherwise the next time somebody says some sh-t like "Black people are less intelligent than whites or jews" don't bother being offended, because you know what your fine with a race based idea of intelligence, or is it that on Boards espousing Eugenic theories doesn't matter if its not a about a group that doesn't big up The Champion of the sensible forward thinking liberal poster image.

I know this is after hours but really focusing on the looks issue when she is basically saying that
    1) There is a genetic link to IQ
    2) Certain ethnicities and/or racial groups have higher IQ's
    3) The Irish have low IQ's that need a bit of mixing to boost it

If your going to be progressive thinking at least be consistent, FFS she's a TD she has potential to actually influence things.

Otherwise the next time somebody says some sh-t like "Black people are less intelligent than whites or jews" don't bother being offended, because you know what your fine with a race based idea of intelligence, or is it that on Boards espousing Eugenic theories doesn't matter if its not a about a group that doesn't big up The Champion of the sensible forward thinking liberal poster image.

I agree indeed.

Well if any person says/assumes/thinks that African folk are less intelligent, then they need a serious wake-up call accordingly...

The list of African-American inventors and scientists attempts to document many of the African Americans who have invented a multitude of items or made discoveries in the course of their lives. These have ranged from practical everyday devices to applications and scientific discoveries in diverse fields, including physics, biology, mathematics, plus the medical, nuclear and space sciences.

Is there actually a single person today that still holds this Neanderthal thinking regarding Africans or Jews as less intelligent. Some of them would put us all to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Olivia Mitchell links IQ to race, implies the Irish are genetically inferior and promotes eugenics. Result? No negative effects so far.

Darren Scully makes silly, mildly negative remarks about the African community. Result? National villain, crucified in the press, loses job, is reported to the Gardai in an attempt to criminalise him for expressing an opinion.

It seems the severity of the consequences of expressing racist opinions very much depend on who is expressing the opinion and which group they are being racist toward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

She may not have expressed it as well as she might but my interpretation of what Mitchell said is that societies benefit from exposure to and influence from others. That is an indisputable fact. It has nothing to do with racism or eugenics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

DeadHand wrote: »
    Olivia Mitchell links IQ to race, implies the Irish are genetically inferior and promotes eugenics. Result? No negative effects so far.

Darren Scully makes silly, mildly negative remarks about the African community. Result? National villain, crucified in the press, loses job, is reported to the Gardai in an attempt to criminalise him for expressing an opinion.

It seems the severity of the consequences of expressing racist opinions very much depend on who is expressing the opinion and which group they are being racist toward.

Its this hypocrisy that galls me. Its so widespread too. If someone said what she said about any other race it would be career ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

First Up wrote: »
    She may not have expressed it as well as she might but my interpretation of what Mitchell said is that societies benefit from exposure to and influence from others. That is an indisputable fact. It has nothing to do with racism or eugenics.

Explain this quote then

“You can even see the better-looking and taller children now as a result of the Celtic Tiger years. I think it’s a good thing to keep our IQs up there; it’s not just about appearance.”

Those height and looks (well looks dependent on taste) are genetically driven, its clear she is putting IQ in with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

She clearly implied that it would make us taller, better looking and more intelligent.

As human beings will say... Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Some folk might find you attractive, and some might not. It's just the way she goes, the way of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

"You can even see the better-looking and taller children now" - even without the implied disparaging of the Irish gene pool, what an idiotic, airheaded thing for a politician to focus on!
    I don't disagree that it's good for us to have a mix of cultures here, but she isn't just saying that - she's got a backhanded compliment thing going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

It is an indisputable fact that this "benefit" also has serious drawbacks that are neither universally enjoyed nor evenly spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Olivia, may be, perhaps, like myself, a Christian, and as such our gene pool derives from Adam agus Eve.

/thread

• Advertisement

reprise wrote: »
    Seriously?

A thread crying out for your unbearable scrutiny, riddled with race references and soft eugenics, and that lazy (self referencing?) slur is all you have?

At least be man enough to explicitly agree, for once in your life.

Are you upset over something?

Advertisement