Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between English fry and Irish fry?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Irish have rashers; English have bacon.

You'd sell your granny for an Irish breakfast but sell your Gran for an English one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I had relatives telling me how much better Irish sausages were, then when I first started coming over, they kept giving me those Denny skinless things.

I'd rather eat a cotton bud.

Heroditas wrote: »
    This brand of sausage can't be emphasised enough.
    By far the best brand. Superquinn/Super Valu ones pale in comparison and are disgracefully overrated.

I'll give you three guesses as to who make the superquinn ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No way!!!!
    Who made them when Olhausen went into liquidation for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Quickimart Overlord?
    Really?
    You?

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    No way!!!!
    Who made them when Olhausen went into liquidation for a while?

I'm not sure. They may change the manufacturer around, but I know Olhausen were making them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The spelling.

There's no difference between a fried banana and a fried cucumber
    Oddly enough fired bananas taste like floury potatoes.

Well the kind of bananas you cook anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tarzana wrote: »
    All sausages contain rusk.
    Blame it on the recession.

It's hard to make both ends meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Sclosages wrote: »
    Fada doesn't need a fada. Confused?
    It does when you're writing it in English, to denote it is Irish. When you write it in Irish it doesn't.
    That's nonsense.

When it's written by someone who doesn't recognise sarcasm it apparently takes an 'r'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

There is no difference between an English fried breakfast and an Irish one apart from the name.

Going by this thread, clearly there is. Even if the Irish version is newer, it's still different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Pretzill wrote: »
    2 Cumberland Sausages (herby breadcrumy things)

Seriously, once again, ALL sausages contain breadcrumbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Oddly enough fired bananas taste like floury potatoes.

Well the kind of bananas you cook anyway

Plantains! Love them. But not for breakfast, Christ no...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

FTA69 wrote: »
    Most greasy spoons over here do utterly sh*te quality sausages and rashers, real bottom-of-the-bin, out-of-the-freezer type stuff; probably why the breakfasts only cost around £4.

Dunno mate, I've had excellent bangers in that cafe on the same street as that Walthamstow market

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

English one has bubble & squeak. I have no idea what abomination this contains, but it hits the spot in multiple ways.

Bubble and squeek! :D
    http://britishfood.about.com/od/easybritishrecipes/r/bubblesqueak.htm
    Doesn't belong in any fry in my book. Certainly not breakfast food.

I've eaten plenty in both countries and never paid a blind bit of notice to any 'difference'. The lady in the caf in Slough Trading Estate used to load on the hash browns too. They may have come from America but are very much part of any fry now for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

fryup wrote: »
    hash browns have no place in an english or irish fry

its sacrilege to have it on the plate

You always had fried potatoes on your tea-time fry, did you not?
    Many's the time I had a fry at my granny's house in the evening after the cows were milked and it was a fusion of the breakfast fryup and a dinner in that it sometimes had a mound of bubble-n-squeek style stodge as well.....and mighty damn delicious that spuddy mess was too.

A mouthful of the steaming fried potato, a good cut of the sausage and then a slug of boiling tea .....hot enough to make your head sweat and your gums smart but not so hot as to burn you.

RESPECT!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I had a fry in a cafe in Kent, earlier this year. Was starving with the hunger, the place looked like a real greasy spoon, so I was a bit sceptical. Jesus, it was amazing:). Rasher, sausages, mushrooms, egg, beans, and bubble and squeak. Sliced white batch loaf on the side, rather than toast.
    On the other hand I had an Irish breakfast in Bewleys on Grafton St, and it was manky. Some weird relish ****e on the side, and this doughy yoke that I assume was a farl/ potato cake . So horrible:'(
    At home it has to be sausage, rashers, black/white pudding, egg, beans, mushrooms , tomato and toast, leftover baby potatoes fried up is a nice addition too. Rudd's sausages are lovely, discovered them in Super Valu, nice big uns, great on the BBQ too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I can't stand idly by and let people badmouth bubble n squeak.

It's great stuff - all you need is some leftover cabbage/brussel sprouts and potato. Chop the greens, mash the spuds, mix with salt n pepper. Form into patties and fry, completely delicious.

Try it...try it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I remember the one time my Dad ever cooked dinner for my sister and I (my Mum was ill) he made bubble & squeak. It was revolting and Mum had to get off her sick bed to cook something else.

That put me off for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Seriously, once again, ALL sausages contain breadcrumbs!

Seriously, there's no need to be so serious - I merely meant they contain more.

Edit to add ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Superquinn sausages are dogsh*t and are typical generic, overly-processed crap. Butcher's sausages for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which is the bubble and which is the squeak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Which is the bubble and which is the squeak?

I think the bubble refers to the sound your stomach makes after eating - and the squeak after digesting! Horrible stuff.

Boxty, or a simple potato cake is far nicer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Boxty is the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pretzill wrote: »
    I think the bubble refers to the sound your stomach makes after eating - and the squeak after digesting! Horrible stuff.

Boxty, or a simple potato cake is far nicer.

Horses for courses, I love bubble and squeak - just have to do it properly - burnt bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    hash browns have no place in an english or irish fry

its sacrilege to have it on the plate
    Egginacup wrote: »
    You always had fried potatoes on your tea-time fry, did you not?

yes, but hash browns and fried potatoes are worlds apart

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hoop66 wrote: »
    I can't stand idly by and let people badmouth bubble n squeak.

It's great stuff - all you need is some leftover cabbage/brussel sprouts and potato. Chop the greens, mash the spuds, mix with salt n pepper. Form into patties and fry, completely delicious.

Try it...try it now...
    Listen, no green vegetable has any place on the plate of a fry. Even if it's fried with potato. The potato on it's own, maybe. But leave any sort of brussel sprout out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This is a very regionalistic view but I think a fry-up needs Boxty to be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

Cienciano wrote: »
    Listen, no green vegetable has any place on the plate of a fry. Even if it's fried with potato. The potato on it's own, maybe. But leave any sort of brussel sprout out of it.

Bubble & squeak is lovely stuff, but not as part of any class of a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

FTA69 wrote: »
    Superquinn sausages are dogsh*t and are typical generic, overly-processed crap. Butcher's sausages for the win.

The problem with that is availability. Having been involved in the art of sausage making for 1 summer (so therefore obviously now an expert!!!!) the issue you can get is, like black and white pudding, the butcher is free to roam with ingredients. Now I don't mean you can add anything, but they a re filled with a lot of scraps left over. So any off cuts of pork are ground up for example. So you could get differences from week to week.

Ye olde super quin sausages is a favourite in our house...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Going by this thread, clearly there is. Even if the Irish version is newer, it's still different.

No, going by this thread the standard items on both an Irish fry and an English fry are the same - sausage egg and bacon. The other items have been found on both English and Irish breakfasts.

Advertisement