Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between English fry and Irish fry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Tarzana wrote: »
    Fried bread is more a feature of English fries than Irish ones.

Brown sauce is the more common condiment in England, ketchup in Ireland.

Yep, it's the fried bread .

An Ulster fry will probably have a potato farl.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

Beans on an English fry & usually tinned tomatoes

Black and White pudding on Irish fry & generally fresh tomatoes. Oh and the quality is usually far superior.

English one has bubble & squeak. I have no idea what abomination this contains, but it hits the spot in multiple ways.
    It's only mash & shredded cabbage (usually leftovers) that's fried in bacon fat/lard/dripping etc. Basically fried colcannon. Gorgeous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Sclosages wrote: »
    Didn't realise they have black pudding.

Black pudding is English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Black pudding is English.

Explains why I never liked it hahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

So, in conclusion, you can expect the same if you ask for a Full English or a Full Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Sclosages wrote: »
    So, in conclusion, you can expect the same if you ask for a Full English or a Full Irish?

you can expect to get an Ulcer fry.....:eek: Ha Ha.

The important thing about all of this is that the ones where you come from are always the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

English sausages have bread crumbs in them.

All sausages contain rusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I know the difference between an Irish fry and an ulster fry is the soda farl,

English ones used to use beef sausages, no white pudding, and add beans

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I know the difference between an Irish fry and an ulster fry is the soda farl,

English ones used to use beef sausages, no white pudding, and add beans

I've very rarely seen beef sausage on any fry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Beans and hash browns are an American addition I believe. The only difference I would think is white pudding in Ireland and fried bread in England. Fried tomato is more common in England as well.

If someone put tinned peas or tinned tomatoes on my breakfast, in either country, they'd end up wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

In Northern England they certainly have black pudding but I doubt you'd find it in the South-East. Most Continents have some form of black pudding, from Korean 'sundae' to German 'blutwurst' to Kenyan 'mutara'.

So yeah, it's not that unique.:cool:

Back on topic, I do believe that mushrooms are what set the Irish fry from the English fry. No mushrooms in the English or Scottish ones afaik. I like the idea of adding potato farls. We call them potato cakes out Whest.:)

In Northern England they certainly have black pudding but I doubt you'd find it in the South-East. Most Continents have some form of black pudding, from Korean 'sundae' to German 'blutwurst' to Kenyan 'mutara'.

So yeah, it's not that unique.:cool:

Back on topic, I do believe that mushrooms are what set the Irish fry from the English fry. No mushrooms in the English or Scottish ones afaik. I like the idea of adding potato farls. We call them potato cakes out Whest.:)

I'm from the south east and black pudding and mushrooms would always be part of any fry I've ever cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've never had a full English in England,but on the Spanish costas a full English always comes with chips.We don't have chips

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Its the bread thats the big difference. Two slices of toast on an Irish fry.

The english tends to come with soda bread and fried bread.

About 250 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Beans and hash browns are an American addition I believe. The only difference I would think is white pudding in Ireland and fried bread in England. Fried tomato is more common in England as well.

If someone put tinned peas or tinned tomatoes on my breakfast, in either country, they'd end up wearing it.
    You sound dangerous boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

"Full English breakfast, hold the sausage."

"This is not that kind of place, sir. We just do food."

You sound dangerous boy

I like a joke as much as the next guy, but messing about with a fry up is serious ****.

I've never had a full English in England,but on the Spanish costas a full English always comes with chips.

And a pint of San Miguel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm from the south east and black pudding and mushrooms would always be part of any fry I've ever cooked.

Fair enough but I did think the mushrooms were an Irish addition. Was this in London?

Fair enough but I did think the mushrooms were an Irish addition. Was this in London?

Mushrooms are fairly standard in most places as far as I know.

I'd say chips is a tourist thing in Spain rather than a read fry up ingredient. Fried cubes of potato are popular in American beeakfasts though I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I love fried potatoes with a fry even if it's not traditional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I thought thr only difference was the English fry had those rotten sausages. Otherwise it's the same.

Was actually quite impressed by the English fry and it's accompanying bits. The tea and bread was too notch in the place we ate in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Who mentioned the American breakfast?

Crispy bacon, pancakes and syrup.

I may not agree with all their views, but they can do a good breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

One is served with Guiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I had a fry in London in 2012, there was a very small beef sausage and the black pudding tasted like coal. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

My personal favorite is an Irish-ulster-English mix made with Irish ingredients.

Fried bread
    Tatty bread
    Sausage (olhausen)
    Rashers (nice back bacon)
    White pudding (clonakilty stuff)
    Grilled tomato
    Egg poached or scrambled
    Sautéed mushrooms
    And a nice bit of spinach sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

So what's the difference between an ulster farl & boxty? :confused:

Not being from northern stock I haven't a clue what goes on anywhere up north, Ireland or England! :D

Advertisement