Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear kicked out of Argentina - World gone mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I read your comments and think: "nope" and swiftly move on. To say you are a footnote here to me is an understatement. Your faux inability to understand anything you do not agree with is childish. Anyway, dismissed ;)

Ah you're just taking the Peist now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Gatling wrote: »
    And the bridge was on a slope too .

Pathetic. It was a clear racist comment.

cdeb wrote: »
    That one was a bit naughty, I'll agree.

Well done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pathetic. It was a clear racist comment.

I think some people went out of their way to put a racist slant on the whole thing, to be honest with you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Well done :rolleyes:
    Thank you.

Want to back up your crackpot theory that this was all done deliberately?

Maybe you've more links to articles which say it wasn't done deliberately? That always helps your case.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    So you're saying, that the producers (Clarkson doesn't go and personally buy the car himself you know) when they went to get the car should have started staring at every piece of it to see if there is some gag they can use?
    Then urreka, they spot the number plate. Giggle giggle and they decide to say "ah fcuk it, sure they wont notice" and then hope that the BBC doesn't catch wind of it and yet still manage to get across Argentina with that number plate without anyone noticing?
    Clarkson said "there's a slope on it" in the Burma special, I had absolutely no inkling of the ****estorm that was going to cause but yet slope apparently means a certain type of Asian person.
    If they were picked up on that and on a scene for TG were Clarkson said the N word but yet it was never released on the tv that they would not have been rumbled in Argentina with that sort of number plate?
    You asked the same question over and over again (remember when I said you are going around in circles?) and you've been responded to but yet keep asking.

The above makes little sense but it seems you're saying you were on the production team in Argentina? Or is the above just a heap of nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

That one was a bit naughty, I'll agree. Though if you look at the thread here, no-one commented at the time; I'd say most people had never heard the term "slope" before. Most I've mentioned it to hadn't.

People have been giving out about Top Gear being racist long before that though. Maybe you've more examples?

And tell me again how Clarkson deliberately antagonised the Argentinians?

Well, no is particularly offended. Most people think it was fairly weird and childish to head to the South, nr Las Malvinas and make an effort to annoy the veterans.

Then again, I always find it bizarre that people enjoy listening to Clarkson eulogising the British Empire and lamenting it's decline (as he did repeatedly during the Burma program), he's playing to his audience I suppose. I can't imagine why anyone would think that the British in Burma where some benign force.

The UK and Argentina have a long and complicated history which at least deserves to be treated with care and respect. Instead we get the giggling innuendo of these middle aged schoolchildren.

Thank you.

Want to back up your crackpot theory that this was all done deliberately?

Maybe you've more links to articles which say it wasn't done deliberately? That always helps your case.

"Crackpot theory" lol

So you've no proof Clarkson was deliberately winding up an entire nation?

And yet you continue to rant about it.

Pretty much defines "crackpot theory" right there.

Most of Clarkson's detractors generally seem to be several times more ignorant than they make him out to be. All quite interesting.

The above makes little sense but it seems you're saying you were on the production team in Argentina? Or is the above just a heap of nothing?

A heap of nothing... a bit like the reason you're getting your knickers in a twist.
    The way you talk you would swear you were:

A) in the war
    B) are Argentinian or
    C) A keyboard warrior - I'd probably choose this one :)

• Advertisement

Nowhere is it shown that the number plate was chosen deliberately. In fact, it quotes the BBC categorically saying the opposite.

So the link you provided fails to show he deliberately antagonised people.

You've just jumped to that conclusion because it suits your viewpoint.

Try again maybe?

You honestly believe that? It was a coincidence it contained FLK and reference to 1982? I'd say the odds or somewhat against that combo occurring...in the realm of many many millions to one!

I'd say you are chosing to be naive.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I think some people went out of their way to put a racist slant on the whole thing, to be honest with you.

Maybe those Burmese just need a good kicking like the Argentinians?

Well the old Top Gear stereotype has some merit, lots of knuckles being dragged on this thread. Depressing for a friday afternoon so i'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The FALKLANDS

Don't they teach anything in schools anymore.

I am pie wrote: »
    You honestly believe that? It was a coincidence it contained FLK and reference to 1982? I'd say the odds or somewhat against that combo occurring...in the realm of many many millions to one!

I'd say you are chosing to be naive.
    Thing is, this is all the detractors have to go on. "You honestly believe...?"

Not really enough grounds to suggest a person was deliberately antagonising a nation and deserved to be stoned.

Just looking for some proof of the statements being made is all. I'm sure you'll agree that "Do you honestly believe...?" isn't proof.

Maybe those Burmese just need a good kicking like the Argentinians?

Well the old Top Gear stereotype has some merit, lots of knuckles being dragged on this thread. Depressing for a friday afternoon so i'm out

Oh no :rolleyes:

Oh no :rolleyes:
    At least they answered the questions we were directly asking.

Oh no, wait...

Maybe those Burmese just need a good kicking like the Argentinians?...

What have you got against the Burmese?? They're a gentle, cultured people with wonderful food and a very interesting history. :confused:

I did a Google translate to see if there are any articles in Spanish about it and so far found only this one:

http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/18170187/Top-Gear-nos-provoca-por-Malvinas.html

Nowhere is it shown that the number plate was chosen deliberately. In fact, it quotes the BBC categorically saying the opposite.

So the link you provided fails to show he deliberately antagonised people.

You've just jumped to that conclusion because it suits your viewpoint.

Try again maybe?

Ah the BBC denied it. I see. Nothing more to see here. So you're going with the massive coincidence angle then :pac:

Ah the BC denied it. I see. Nothing more to see here. So you're going with the massive coincidence angle then :pac:

Thought you fcuked off?

• Advertisement

Lol at Clarkson's fanboys looking for a reason to be outraged!

They kicked us out!...they need another hiding!! Harrrumph.

For the slow learners. No one was "kicked out".

They annoyed some veterans, the veterans picketed their hotel. They took their ball and decided to go home. It was viewed as a good thing that they were coming.

Now people are sort of scratching their heads and wondering what that was all about. No diplomatic incident, not big news. Just an "odd news" type story.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

Ah the BBC denied it. I see. Nothing more to see here. So you're going with the massive coincidence angle then :pac:
    I asked for you to back up your statement. You gave me a link which didn't back up your statement. So I asked you to back up your statement again.

Not really rocket science, this.

Making up your own version of events is quite ignorant, don't you agree?

I asked for you to back up your statement. You gave me a link which didn't back up your statement. So I asked you to back up your statement again.

Not really rocket science, this.

Making up your own version of events is quite ignorant, don't you agree?

Lol. Never realised ANYONE could be a mod here.

I did a Google translate to see if there are any articles in Spanish about it and so far found only this one:

http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/18170187/Top-Gear-nos-provoca-por-Malvinas.html

It's in lots of reliable places. Of course, you have picked a blog. Taringa is kind social media/blog.

Would you like to see some newspaper articles?

Lol at Clarkson's fanboys looking for a reason to be outraged!

They kicked us out!...they need another hiding!! Harrrumph.

For the slow learners. No one was "kicked out".

They annoyed some veterans, the veterans picketed their hotel. They took their ball and decided to go home. It was viewed as a good thing that they were coming.

Now people are sort of scratching their heads and wondering what that was all about. No diplomatic incident, not big news. Just an "odd news" type story.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

From the article linked to in the original post: "The cast and crew of TV's Top Gear had to abandon their cars at the roadside and flee Argentina after being pelted with stones by an angry crowd."

So. What we appear to have is JC and the crew doing their usual juvenile messing, and being met with physical violence from a mob of some description. And do excuse me for being a bit thick, what would you expect from a TG watcher. And I'm actually more of a James May fanboy. :pac:

It's in lots of reliable places. Of course, you have picked a blog. Taringa is kind social media/blog.

Make sure you find one with plenty of pictures :pac:

Lol. Never realised ANYONE could be a mod here.

Seriously what is your problem here? Are you pissed off because some of us don't believe in your opinion? Or "fact" as you think it is.
    I find it hard to believe it was done on purpose (if it turns out it was then I'd correct myself immediately) but you also have to look at the other side of the coin, what if it was a coincidence?

How should I know it's a blog?
    Send them on, doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Make sure you find one with plenty of pictures :pac:

Your posts go down quicker than an argentine cruiser

• Advertisement

In the south there are lots of veterans groupings, were this was filmed. They were justifiably offended by the number plate.
    Just looking back over the last page or two and see I've consistently ignored your posts. Wasn't intentional; apologies! In fairness, it's interesting to see some local insight (assuming your location is genuine :) )

I don't think it can be argued that the veterans were "justifiable" offended though. I'm sure 982 isn't a number sequence skipped over in Argentinian reg plates, for example.

I also think it's far too easy for army people to be offended (or to be accused of offending army people). These are guys who, generally, are ordered into an area to go and kill people, and rarely is there ever discussion tolerated as to whether they were right to do so (I'm talking in general here; not just the Falklands)

The world would be a whole lot better if people could stand up and say "You know what? We're wrong in this war. We should hold our hands up, admit it and back out"

Instead, we get people "justifiably offended" by a car reg. Doesn't really facilitate rational thinking approaches to problems, does it?

Advertisement