Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd planned to head out to Blessington this evening but as I approached the Embankment the rain started. I turned back East to drier weather (the rain clouds seemed to be hanging around the hills) and managed 42km around the South of Dublin. 26km/h for the spin which is not too bad considering the traffic.

Roll on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd planned to head out to Blessington this evening but as I approached the Embankment the rain started. I turned back East to drier weather (the rain clouds seemed to be hanging around the hills) and managed 42km around the South of Dublin. 26km/h for the spin which is not too bad considering the traffic.

Roll on Sunday.

Tempted...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057296512

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Kilmashogue Lane is about 2km from my front door. And I have the day off tomorrow....

Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kilmashogue Lane is about 2km from my front door. And I have the day off tomorrow....

Balls.
    Go for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Bit of a damp squib this morning. Woke up at 0600 added 15 minutes to my prep time by my stomach saying ''oh so you want a little bit of human happiness? Well happy this!'' 90s action movie style.

I got out the door at 0620 into a mild gusty morning, headed towards Edmonstown discovered the joys of bin lorries on narrow country roads. Got as far as Rockbrook school and decided that I didn't have time to climb Cruagh.

Fixed my cadence magnet so I at least got to experience the cadence display for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to see that descending in a big gear I was still maintaining 90-100rpm and I can hit 150rpm without any bouncing on the saddle.

So that was cool. One thing I noticed was that I had to shift my weight a few times due to a sudden feeling of being about to topple...I don't know if that's down to the sciroccos and/rubino pros or what.

Got home at 0715 with the dismal realisation that I'd been waaaaaaaaaaaay too conservative.

16km :(
    Avg 23kph
    Avg 84rpm
    Max 44.4kph
    41.4kmh avg fastest km.
    Asc 133m
    Dsc 148

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

so did the old skool breakfast of a black coffee only and unsurprisingly cycled into work like a feckin loon...
    enjoyable though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

decided that I didn't have time to climb Cruagh.

Yeah, yeah.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Windy this morning. It really saps you.

Did 45km at 30km/h average so to bad in the end but it was a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Started out with great intentions, 4k away from the house I had to do a uturn to collect pump, sure as sh*t I would have punctured if I didn't go back. Didn't check Garmin for battery status and it keeled over about 20k in, went onto iPhone app to record the rest of it, towards the end it started to complain of low battery too. The only thing fully charged today was the cyclist! Anyway about 90k out to Howth for my weekly coffee. Went down to the lighthouse and took it all it. Took me a few seconds to realise where the humming noise was coming from - the wind through the red railings! Headwind on the way home meant I didn't get any respite. Glorious day out though

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭fiacha

Had a lazy morning so didn't leave the house until 11am. Couple of loops around the Phoenix Park and then Porterstown - Lucan - Porterstown - Clonsilla and back into the Park for a another while to relax and take in the sights. 55km and a sore bum, but feeling chuffed.

The weather at the moment is a gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

Enjoyable spin today over the Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Tough climb over the Wicklow Gap, into a headwind. Came back to Dublin via the N81.

A clear day so the view from the Wicklow Gap was stunning. Just happened to meet a lad I knew who was out walking also admiring the view. A very pleasant chat in a smashing location.

http://www.strava.com/activities/199648836

Radial wrote: »
    Enjoyable spin today over the Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Tough climb over the Wicklow Gap, into a headwind. Came back to Dublin via the N81.

A clear day so the view from the Wicklow Gap was stunning. Just happened to meet a lad I knew who was out walking also admiring the view. A very pleasant chat in a smashing location.

http://www.strava.com/activities/199648836

I like that route. Might try that one tomorrow.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

Go for it.

Nice little ramp half way up the Wicklow Gap to test the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

daa staff charity cycle tomorrow morning. 3 options, 110km ; 60km ; & family spin. Doing the 110km & really looking forward to it. Best of luck to any Boardsies who might be doubling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Great spin to Enniskerry this evening, wish this September weather could go on and on.
    Lots of goats looking very menacing through the Scalp, thought I was going to be ambushed.
    Surprisingly there weren't too many cyclists about.
    There is nothing better than a good cycle after a frustrating day in work.

http://www.strava.com/activities/199729427

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

PrismES wrote: »
    Great spin to Enniskerry this evening, wish this September weather could go on and on.
    There is nothing better than a good cycle after a frustrating day in work.

It really was one of the nicest evenings-also a long tough day at work but the ride home was one of the most enjoyable all year-great start to the weekend...390km for the week so far

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronoc wrote: »
    I like that route. Might try that one tomorrow.:pac:
    Heading westbound up the Wicklow Gap into a headwind is soul destroying (and there's a westerly forecast tomorrow).

But don't let me put you off it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Heading westbound up the Wicklow Gap into a headwind is soul destroying (and there's a westerly forecast tomorrow).

Descending that way with 60-80kmh sidewind gusts is more. Been there, survived... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Got out today for 44k went out and took it easy really, stopping to take some pic's/ fill the water bottle etc. Nice day to be out was kinda cool and calm enough http://www.strava.com/activities/200008565

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

100k spin from Skryne this morning.
    Nice route and a fantastic day for it, sun, blue skies and a gentle breeze...perfect!
    Bit of confusion at the food stop at Tara, where we met up with two other spins from Maynooth and Blanch.
    Some of them got mixed in with our spin and misdirected by the marshalls, taking them well off course.

323459.png

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

furiousox wrote: »

I was cycling from slane side over to donore and saw a load of cyclist with DAA sponsored jerseys, were they part of this spin?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Quick spin up to the Sallygap and down by Kilbride this afternoon. Went back up by the Military range, which is my new favourite local climb and descent. Got back to see a max speed on my Cateye of 105kph. Passed a few other cyclists coming towards Seefin while I was coming down and probably got an extra ping there, as mid 50s would seem right for that section. Pity, because I flew down the gap earlier and would like to know how fast I was going. Guess I'll just have to do it all over again tomorrow.

smacl wrote: »
    Got back to see a max speed on my Cateye of 105kph.

:eek::eek::eek:You've got great confidence in your frame and rubber at that clip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

furiousox wrote: »
    Nice route and a fantastic day for it, sun, blue skies and a gentle breeze...perfect!
    Bit of confusion at the food stop at Tara, where we met up with two other spins from Maynooth and Blanch.
    Some of them got mixed in with our spin and misdirected by the marshalls, taking them well off course.

323459.png

Yep , I was on the maynooth one , did get a tad confusing for some.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ckeego wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:You've got great confidence in your frame and rubber at that clip!!

Bum reading, I'd say I was touching 70kph coming off the gap, but only mid 50s when I got that reading. Possibly caused by passing another cyclist with same wireless.

Set out to do a gran fondo today. Previous max was 75km. Enniskerry to Laragh, over the wicklow gap and back by Tallaght. By Enniskerry I knew it was going to be a slog all way. Just didn't seem to have the legs today. Made it over the wicklow gap crawling in the granny gear all the way. Went home for lunch and did a lap of the Phoenix park to make up the total. 132km. Shattered..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Just under 40km today from Knocklyon - City Centre - Three Rock at an average speed of 27km/h. Nice evening - a few jersey shouts included but had several close calls with insects on the descent from Three Rock. My own fault for not taking shades.

smacl wrote: »
    Bum reading, I'd say I was touching 70kph coming off the gap, but only mid 50s when I got that reading. Possibly caused by passing another cyclist with same wireless.

Trees for some reason tend to throw things askew for some reason..The reason I talk about trust is that one of the fastest descents I attempted, I touched the brakes at times on the Red Lane descent on a cheap set of wheels and they overheated and blew the tyre off the rim

ronoc wrote: »
    Set out to do a gran fondo today. Previous max was 75km. Enniskerry to Laragh, over the wicklow gap and back by Tallaght. By Enniskerry I knew it was going to be a slog all way. Just didn't seem to have the legs today. Made it over the wicklow gap crawling in the granny gear all the way. Went home for lunch and did a lap of the Phoenix park to make up the total. 132km. Shattered..

You don't do things by half, eh? Maith thú..

We had an ex classmate on the Morgan Sparrow Memorial last weekend whose first century it was too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

oconnpad wrote:
    I was cycling from slane side over to donore and saw a load of cyclist with DAA sponsored jerseys, were they part of this spin?

No, today was the annual daa charity cycle, smashing day for it too. Ended up doing about 120km, legs tired tonight. Apparently some sauvignon blanc is supposed to help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement