Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I wish we were more cynical over the years.

Might have pulled McManaman down (x2)
    Maybe stopped Canavan off the ball before he got a chance to stick it in the net.

Should have lies down 4 points up against the Dubs in 2011.

Might have a few extra All Ireland's.

Of course Kerry have done cynical things, show me a county that hasn't. Kerry pepper good football with cynicality like Donegal and Mayo and Dublin

Its the ones that pepper bad football with cynicality that annoy me. Cynicality should be a last resort, not a primary tactic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 boostenergy

I live near Donegal but would like Kerry to win however anyone with a bit of sense knows that Donegal and their devious high chieftain McGuinness will win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭harpsman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I wish we were more cynical over the years.

Might have pulled McManaman down (x2)
    Maybe stopped Canavan off the ball before he got a chance to stick it in the net.

Should have lies down 4 points up against the Dubs in 2011.

Might have a few extra All Ireland's.

Of course Kerry have done cynical things, show me a county that hasn't. Kerry pepper good football with cynicality like Donegal and Mayo and Dublin

Its the ones that pepper bad football with cynicality that annoy me. Cynicality should be a last resort, not a primary tactic.
    Not forgettin Armagh in 02-think O Se said recently he had a chance to take McConville out before goal-as he said hed have another all ireland if he did now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

harpsman wrote: »
    Not forgettin Armagh in 02-think O Se said recently he had a chance to take McConville out before goal-as he said hed have another all ireland if he did now

He was 4-5 yards off him. Cant take him out if hes that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Uiseabhi

Amprodude wrote: »

Quality of O Se he wouldnt of been positioned that far off him when the ball broke. Im sure in the possesion of play hed of been in a position to take him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭acequion

Are ye talking about Darragh,who was captain that year? He was the best player by a country mile in that second half when the rest of them collapsed. Of course he should have taken him down! Darragh was heartbroken to lose that All Ireland, a bit like Gooch, who also played his socks off,in 2011, only to see his boat sink as well.

Amprodude wrote: »
    No,no you re wrong there. McConville passed to Paul McGrane and ran past O Se to take the return and score the goal. Had O Se stepped to his right to block the run-no goal and probably Kerrys all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i have season tickets at old trafford and am willing to swap tickets for the United V Liverpool game in December, for All Ireland football final tickets.

the united tickets are cheaper, so i can swap 1 for one plus cash, 2 for 2 plus cash etc etc.

PM me asap if anybody is interested.

acequion wrote: »
    Are ye talking about Darragh,who was captain that year? He was the best player by a country mile in that second half when the rest of them collapsed. Of course he should have taken him down! Darragh was heartbroken to lose that All Ireland, a bit like Gooch, who also played his socks off,in 2011, only to see his boat sink as well.
    you re right,was daragh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

robbiezero wrote: »
    As have all the top,successful teams. Joe Brolly's rant at Sean Cavanagh last year was completely misguided, he should not have made it a personal issue.

Kerry have always been fantastic entertainment to watch, cynical or not.

This Kerry team is not "fantastic entertainment". I was at the semi final between Kerry and Mayo in Croke Park. I'm from neither county so was impartial.

On several occasions I noted that Kerry were using a blanket defence and had only O'Donoghue and another forward in the Mayo half.

They were also hugely cynical and I felt the referee was poor. It was quite clear that they didn't want Mayo running with the ball and the referee did not use his whistle enough.

• Advertisement

Pipjam wrote: »
    This Kerry team is not "fantastic entertainment". I was at the semi final between Kerry and Mayo in Croke Park. I'm from neither county so was impartial.

On several occasions I noted that Kerry were using a blanket defence and had only O'Donoghue and another forward in the Mayo half.

They were also hugely cynical and I felt the referee was poor. It was quite clear that they didn't want Mayo running with the ball and the referee did not use his whistle enough.

?????? it was Mayo who played alot of that game with a sweeper and Kerry attacked in droves until Mayo had to come out and play.

just because you're not from Mayo or Kerry, doesnt mean you are impartial. in fact, you come accross as a complete anti kerry man/woman in your posts, such is the bitterness they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

?????? it was Mayo who played alot of that game with a sweeper and Kerry attacked in droves until Mayo had to come out and play.

just because you're not from Mayo or Kerry, doesnt mean you are impartial. in fact, you come accross as a complete anti kerry man/woman in your posts, such is the bitterness they have.

Posts? The above was my first post on the GAA forum!

I'm from Meath, my partner from Cavan and we were sitting beside a man from Monaghan and his son who supported Fermanagh. I wouldn't think any of us had much reason to have "bitterness" towards Kerry.

All of us noted the Kerry defensive tactics and cynical play. I don't know what match you were watching but Mayo were the more attacking team for me.

On a number of occasions I felt Coldrick should have called frees for fouls when Mayo tried to run with the ball and he didn't.

You're from Kerry obviously so you can either accept my view or not but its certainly not biased. I'm calling the game exactly as I watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Eddie Kinsella (Laois) has been appointed the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Brian017

I noticed The Sunday Game is starting at 12:30 next week. Surely to God, they're not making us listen to Brolly drone on for a full 3 hours. Seems a bit of a strange scheduling to me, AIF or not 3 hours build up is overkill imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Showing the minors maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Are they televisng the Minor Final?
    I think they are, not sure though. TG4 are covering it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

TG4 are showing the Minor Final exclusively. RTE will most likely have umteen dozen pundits sitting all over Croker to tlak to to fill the 3 hours, along with videos of both Donegal and Kerry players and managers talking, accompanied by poorly edite montages of last years finals, the last time both counties won All-Irelands and the last time the counties met. Then, we will be treated to the thoughts of Colm O'Rourke, Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly as they join Michael Leister in Studio!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

T0001 wrote: »
    TG4 are showing the Minor Final exclusively. RTE will most likely have umteen dozen pundits sitting all over Croker to tlak to to fill the 3 hours, along with videos of both Donegal and Kerry players and managers talking, accompanied by poorly edite montages of last years finals, the last time both counties won All-Irelands and the last time the counties met. Then, we will be treated to the thoughts of Colm O'Rourke, Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly as they join Michael Leister in Studio!

An even bigger incentive to get a ticket so, not to be stuck watching that before and after the minor game on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

James O D is 2/5 to win footballer of the year next to him is M Murphy 5/2. Surely James has this wrapped up no matter what happens Sunday

this must be the quietest all ireland final thread in years.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

James O D is 2/5 to win footballer of the year next to him is M Murphy 5/2. Surely James has this wrapped up no matter what happens Sunday

I can't see JOD getting Foty if Donegal win the All Ireland so it makes no sense to me how Donegal can be such short odds to win the All Ireland and JOD be such short odds to win Foty.
    I don't think JOD is even guaranteed it if Kerry win; Donaghy and Moran could still win it if they have stormers on Sunday and JOD is quiet although hard to see Kerry winning if JOD is quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I can't see JOD getting Foty if Donegal win the All Ireland so it makes no sense to me how Donegal can be such short odds to win the All Ireland and JOD be such short odds to win Foty.
    I don't think JOD is even guaranteed it if Kerry win; Donaghy and Moran could still win it if they have stormers on Sunday and JOD is quiet although hard to see Kerry winning if JOD is quiet.

Donaghy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

T0001 wrote: »

There will be a competition for a weekend in new york.
    Also female reporter on clonliffe road going up to a donegal fan and asking them who they think will win. The grinning fan will say donegal followed by shouting from those nearby. Then they will ask a kerry fan the same thing etc
    There will be footage of a bus driving into Croke Park. There will be pointless prerecorded interviews where players/managers nimbly side step saying anything that would reveal their actual thoughts and feelings on the game and opposition.
    And a football match will break out at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

There will be a competition for a weekend in new york.
    Also female reporter on clonliffe road going up to a donegal fan and asking them who they think will win. The grinning fan will say donegal followed by shouting from those nearby. Then they will ask a kerry fan the same thing etc
    There will be footage of a bus driving into Croke Park. There will be pointless prerecorded interviews where players/managers nimbly side step saying anything that would reveal their actual thoughts and feelings on the game and opposition.
    And a football match will break out at some point.

Yeah but its still better than Up for the Match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Donaghy to win player of the year!! You must be joking.

It's player of the year. Not player of "thrown into the mix for 2.5 games to shake up the opposition"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Don't be daft, JOD is going to get POTY bar Murphy or Ryan McHugh having a 10/10 game. Do you think the bookies are fools! Donaghy or Moran didn't even start Kerry's 1/4 final in case it escaped your attention, whereas Hames has been tearing it up since the start of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

+1 - JOD by a mile the most high profile contender for POTY and is the default answer anyone involved in the voting will be giving as it stands.

A complete shut out in the final and Michael Murphy hitting 2-4 or something daft like that is the only thing likely to change that default setting at the moment, and 2/5 seems pretty sensible odds against that sort of thing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Do you think the bookies are fools!

Currently JOD is 1/500 to get an All-Star - by comparison Murphy is 1/8. By comparison Donaghy is 3/1

Also in related news the superb Dont Foul has an article on JOD up

http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

Some very decent stuff on how the Donegal defence have handled other big names.

Puts the analysis by some other GAA pundits to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Donaghy to win player of the year!! You must be joking.

It's player of the year. Not player of "thrown into the mix for 2.5 games to shake up the opposition"

Donaghy won poty before based on his performance in 2.5 games where he was thrown into the mix to shake up the opposition.

He was my and many others MOTM in the semifinal. If he was MOTM in the final then you'd have to reckon anyone who's MOTM in the semi and final has a decent chance of foty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jimbobs Winnin Matches

Donaghy won poty before based on his performance in 2.5 games where he was thrown into the mix to shake up the opposition.

He was my and many others MOTM in the semifinal. If he was MOTM in the final then you'd have to reckon anyone who's MOTM in the semi and final has a decent chance of foty.

Any word on Cooper , surely he wouldnt be too far away from been fit , very little talk of him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement