Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

harpsman wrote: »
    Wonder what this genius will have to say?

independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/donegals-negativity-also-contributes-to-entertainment-30549414.html

Jaysus, that's gas. Me ma was right, paper never refused ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Its funny both sides play ultra defensively... when defending.

Both go ultra attacking... when attacking. Its a novel concept, that some people fail to grasp.

When the other team has the ball, we will get lots of men behind the ball and stop them from scoring, when we have the ball, we will push forward quickly.

Both defenses are vastly different. Kerry with pressure from some forwards on the ball, while others retreat. Donegal with a mass retreat system, which sees 13 outfield players sprint to their 45m line, and turn to defend.

Both attacks are different. Kerry use direct kick passing into space, and get runners inside. If that option isn't there, then the ball is popped outside to midfielders and half backs, who sometimes have a crack at a point, or sometimes try to find space again. Donaghy's introduction gives another layer, the high ball.

Donegal break quickly from defense, with lots of men running off the shoulder at full pace. They will try and burst through tackles and lay off the ball. If the space is there accurate footpasses in front of Murphy/McFadden (and last week for a while Gallagher) are given. If not, they will try and run as hard and as fast as they can at the defender, before popping the ball off.

They are both frustrating to score against, and both highly entertaining to watch, when attacking.

Could be a typical Ulster football Donegal vs. Tyrone or Monaghan game then!

Personally I like the style of play going back to Tyrone days, the problem is when you've 2 teams playing similar styles it makes for a dour struggle for the neutrals.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

K-9 wrote: »
    Could be a typical Ulster football Donegal vs. Tyrone or Monaghan game then!

Personally I like the style of play going back to Tyrone days, the problem is when you've 2 teams playing similar styles it makes for a dour struggle for the neutrals.

Era **** the neutrals!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

keane2097 wrote: »
    Era **** the neutrals!

+1. Neither set of players trains to entertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

My guess is Donaghy won't start.
    Kerry will try a conventional route for the first half. When they find Donegal are having none of it and their forwards aren't making headway, the big man will be called for. Kerry will spend most of the second half bombing it in and hoping something comes of it. Donegal I'm sure will have a plan for this. Good managers know how a game will play out before a ball is kicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

On another note, I hope Jamsie wears an X-Small jersey, so McGee squared can't get a hold of it :P

If he does he'll never get away :P

He may need a crash helmet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Era **** the neutrals!

It's "yerra"..c'mon Keano get it right!

It's "yerra"..c'mon Keano get it right!

No time for extra letters on the mean streets of Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

No time for extra letters on the mean streets of Tralee.
    Naree ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Pinesky wrote: »
    Naree ?

Doubtful.....he can spell
    :)

• Advertisement

Naree ?

Yes sir

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Yeah,fairly accurate predictions from the indo,no surprises there...

Yes sir
    Best of luck for your boys in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Naree ?
    Doubtful.....he can spell
    :)

This made me laugh, especially as I would have always said is should be spelled Narrie

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    This made me laugh, especially as I would have always said is should be spelled Narrie

:D

You mean "it" should be spelt Narrie.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Its gas how Kerry have adopted the northern style of football and they were the first to give out about it a few years ago. How ironic.

You mean "it" should be spelt Narrie.. :p
    You can spell it as you wish seen as its a derivation of Naire .
    Bit like Boherbue .

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

Amprodude wrote: »
    Its gas how Kerry have adopted the northern style of football and they were the first to give out about it a few years ago. How ironic.

Northern style.....?,I don't remember 30 yard kick passes or direct balls lamped in to a full forward from 50 yards back then. Go back to your VCR tapes friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thankfully it only took 11 years for us to get up to speed - the few All Irelands in the mean time were lucky I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

D'Agger wrote: »
    Thankfully it only took 11 years for us to get up to speed - the few All Irelands in the mean time were lucky I guess

:D I love the media commentry about Kerrys blanket, it's as if Kerry never played the blanket or defensive football ever!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

What game are you watching?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

What exactly is the "northern style of football" as you see it?

Why would you bother?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭threeball

D'Agger wrote: »

Kerry have been cynical for years. Anyone that hasn't noticed is either biased or blind

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Let both teams play whatever 'style' they choose,all about tactics now...whoever is holding sam that sunday evening will be the ones that got it right!!!! Unless its a draw of course, uh oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

threeball wrote: »
    Kerry have been cynical for years. Anyone that hasn't noticed is either biased or blind

That must be why Kerry have been involved in the best games over the past number of years.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

realweirdo wrote: »
    Dublin have some outstanding forwards and many options up front and they were shut out basically. No goals and were forced to pick off long range points.

I don't think the Kerry forwards are as good as Dublins. Does Kerry have anyone like McMenamen to come off the bench for example who has pace and power. Some of their long range shooting against Mayo was woeful. Some of their short range shooting wasn't much better. JOD will find himself swarmed every time he gets the ball. The high ball into Donaghy, an obvious tactic which Donegal will be well prepared for and training accordingly. Something Mayo ommitted to do.

If Donegal can handle the Dublin attack, they can handle any attack. Donegal for me.

Dublin got 17 points which is a decent total considering they were looking for goal for the last 10/15 minutes and the awful wides they kicked in desperation in the second half. If Kerry get that I think they will win. They won't concede the awful goals Dublin did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gaelic Football has been cynical for years - the introduction and development of tactics has been a driving force behind this. The days of 15 on 15 and may the best team win are over.
    Why would you bother?!

They gots to eat too man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

As have all the top,successful teams. Joe Brolly's rant at Sean Cavanagh last year was completely misguided, he should not have made it a personal issue.

Kerry have always been fantastic entertainment to watch, cynical or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

That must be the most overused statement when it comes to successful teams, pathetic to be constantly bringing it up, be it about northern teams, Kerry, Kilkenny, Meath, cork etc.I think maybe people mix cynical with perhaps clinical?, you don't win much playing absolute pure flowing stuff, teams need the mix of both. In other words give it a rest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement