Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

I meant Tomás didn't flinch as in, he isn't easily winded, that's all. I love the way you try to deflect it and make no comment on Gormley..says it all.

What am I supposed to say? "Oh that was bad." I've seen that incident discussed before, there's another pic from a different perspective where he wasn't standing over Galvin so I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me if he did do it because he's a dirty player, is that good enough. Just thought the 'of course' comment was a bit weird considering Tomas was a dirty player, that's all. Plenty of players are dirty, I don't mean to sound harsh and I enjoy his articles in the indo and what not.

I don't get this sorta scale of cynicism. If something's a crappy thing to do, it's a crappy thing to do, whether it's before, during or after a match. Like everyone says "oh Ricey's a great guy irl", maybe he is but that's not that relevant. Personally I can't stand sledging, it's a curse. Serious pet hate of mine. But oh we're supposed to have a laugh at Ricey, at Eamon McGee winding up Eoghan O'Gara, at O'Mahony mocking Murphy, it's an embarrasment and seriously unsporting (ok obviously not everyone laughs at it but some people seem to find it vaguely amusing or acceptable or part of the game or whatever). Just not gonna pretend that Gormley winding up Galvin is somehow on a different level of moral abhorrance to the other **** that goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

aveytare wrote: »
    What am I supposed to say? "Oh that was bad." I've seen that incident discussed before, there's another pic from a different perspective where he wasn't standing over Galvin so I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me if he did do it because he's a dirty player, is that good enough. Just thought the 'of course' comment was a bit weird considering Tomas was a dirty player, that's all. Plenty of players are dirty, I don't mean to sound harsh and I enjoy his articles in the indo and what not.

I don't get this sorta scale of cynicism. If something's a crappy thing to do, it's a crappy thing to do, whether it's before, during or after a match. Like everyone says "oh Ricey's a great guy irl", maybe he is but that's not that relevant. Personally I can't stand sledging, it's a curse. Serious pet hate of mine. But oh we're supposed to have a laugh at Ricey, at Eamon McGee winding up Eoghan O'Gara, at O'Mahony mocking Murphy, it's an embarrasment and seriously unsporting. Just not gonna pretend that Gormley winding up Galvin is somehow morally abhorrent relative to the other **** that goes on.

There's throwing a punch (as Tomás has done..several times) and the like and then there's stuff like in the photo above. There are very few players I've seen who's first thought upon winning any big game, let alone and All Ireland, would be to goad an opponent like that. That's my final word on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

There's throwing a punch (as Tomás has done..several times) and the like and then there's stuff like in the photo above. There are very few players I've seen who's first thought upon winning any big game, let alone and All Ireland, would be to goad an opponent like that. That's my final word on the matter.

Devils advocate time. Full time whistle a lot of reactions are clenched fist and almost hunker in on yourself.

could it not be that Gormley has just heard the whistle and is going into himself for a second before running off with the rest of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

sammy37 wrote: »
    Why were you down in kerry to see the celebrations or are you just making that up cos you would have seen a different picture and anyway all ireland medals are not handed out to the team that celebrates the most.

I'm talking about at the match obviously. They could have 100k people going mad down in Kerry and it would mean nothing for me if they weren't at the match. Fact is Kerry are not as exciting for neutrals like me and obviously a lot of people on here can't handle that fact.

That's the difference between us so, you'd prefer soccer chants and taunting opposing fans.

We don't and have been brought up to win with a bit of class. Take our victories and defeats with grace.

They're not soccer chants only. Loads of sports fans sing them and it's harmless fun. Were the Dubs moaning about DOnegal fans singing it this year? NO. Because they can handle a bit of craic unlike a few on here.

• Advertisement

I dont remember doing this.

I'm sure you will jump to the defence of that man's accusation that all meath fans would rather sing soccer chants and celebrate in the oppositions faces.

I obviously didn't mean all but there were easily enough to hear it loud and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm talking about at the match obviously. They could have 100k people going mad down in Kerry and it would mean nothing for me if they weren't at the match. Fact is Kerry are not as exciting for neutrals like me and obviously a lot of people on here can't handle that fact.

FACT my dear man, is not something you do very well..but as you mention it, contemporary evidence (media coverage, neutral interest on and offline etc) would seem to suggest that Kerry had quite a large share of neutral support for this final.
    Given the fact you felt the need to make a dozen or more posts in an attempted wind up, I assume you aren't one of them, but it's getting boring now..as is the thread.

FACT my dear man, is not something you do very well..but as you mention it, contemporary evidence (media coverage, neutral interest on and offline etc) would seem to suggest that Kerry had quite a large share of neutral support for this final.
    Given the fact you felt the need to make a dozen or more posts in an attempted wind up, I assume you aren't one of them, but it's getting boring now..as is the thread.

Most neutrals I knew were up for Donegal. The one's that weren't were because of Donegal's style of football. Fair enough.

I assure you I'm not trying to wind anyone up and if you look through the hundreds of posts I've made on the GAA forum I'm not one to troll.

But I recognize the fact that some people were wound up by my opinions on here. Sadly there's nothing I can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Most neutrals I knew were up for Donegal. The one's that weren't were because of Donegal's style of football. Fair enough.

I assure you I'm not trying to wind anyone up and if you look through the hundreds of posts I've made on the GAA forum I'm not one to troll.

But I recognize the fact that some people were wound up by my opinions on here. Sadly there's nothing I can do about that.

If we all sang Cheerio at you would you go away? You seem to like the idea of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

from a Donegal perspective, ive seen it mentioned a few times how stale they were or how the legs for the running game just werent there - 5 or 6 of their top players played nowhere near full belt....

my theory would be perhaps they should look at the fact that the county championship is only starting this weekend. thats not an issue in itself, but the fact that it appears the club set up was totally neglected over the past 8 weeks, suggests there was too much focus on the final.

did the team over train? for instance, between August 10th and September 20th, Donegal played 1 senior championship game - thats one game in 42 days, the Ulster final was on July 20th.

had perhaps the players been allowed to play one round of county championship in there, it would have helped to put a bit more balance in the training and maybe as they turned into mid september, the players were starting to burn out, after a long year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

We don't need a picture to know that Tyrone teams are scum since Mickey Harte took over. It is etched in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

This idea that fans baiting other fans is good for amosphere is stupid. If Kerry started singing cheerio to other teams you have journalists and posters speaking about how ungracious they were in victory.

I go to a lot of matches, I am involved in underage coaching. Stupidity like that can get out of hand. Would'nt it be beautiful in an U16's match for the supporters 10 minutes from the end of a match startinfg to sing cheerio, cheerio to the opposing fans. The next thing it gets onto the pitch. The last thing we need is sh!te from soccer being hailed as goo for amosphere. Everthing that happens at intercounty level is transfered back down to club and underage level.

After a match I am the first onto the pitch telling young players shake hand, telling opposition good gàme win lose or draw. Yes I teach players to play to the letter of the law and beyond it. I speak against sledging, however have no issueing witha bit of slagging/banter. Saw a young player recently after he caught a few ball against a bigger opponent look at him, ask him his height( the young lad was about 6'3'' and said it proudly) to which the smaller lads( and he was just shy of 6') replied ''All I know you cwould not catch a lump of sh!t''. I hjave no issue with that but sledging about girlfriends, parents etc is a step beyond the pale. Fan baiting is the same.

It amazes me the amount of lads that cannot control there emotions on the sideline. The last thing they need ti a smart alec baiting them. It is hard enough at underage controling youngesters alot that now have the strenght of grown adults, without having other issue with the sideline as well. Just so an idiot can have a bit of amosphere.

I do not go to football matches for amosphere. I go to watch a match, to see tactics, to watch inovation that I can teach underage players ( I no longer live in Kerry) who are not from a traditional football area. That is not to say I do not enjoy cheering and a bit of heckling going on but baiting is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does anyone else think we should play the chorus from Chelsea Dagger every time a team gets a point, just to get the fans into it like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

OK Lads I think we'll close the door on the 2014 Championship season. Congrats to Kerry and thanks to everyone for their contributions good and bad over the last 5 months - Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement