Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry v Donegal All Ireland football final 2014 - Mod warning Post #598

Options
  • 31-08-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Now who's going to win the AI???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Don't you mean Kerry v the dream team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

May it be won by the team of Green and Gold! ;)

Seriously though I suppose Kerry will need to get the Blue of Munster back out again like in 2012??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You should amend the thread title to list the date. September 16th.

Two great teams that have both been underdogs. Two fantastic managers.

Two physical teams.

Very hard to call. No clear favourite for me. Could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Stinicker wrote: »
    May it be won by the team of Green and Gold! ;)

Seriously though I suppose Kerry will need to get the Blue of Munster back out again like in 2012??

Damn I never thought of that! But then again blue has been lucky for us lately so why change!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭lukin

I think it's Kerry's to lose now. No disrespect to Donegal but this suits Kerry down to the ground. It took a massive performance for Donegal win today. I don't think they will be able to repeat it in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

lukin wrote: »
    I think it's Kerry's to lose now. No disrespect to Donegal but this suits Kerry down to the ground. It took a massive performance for Donegal win today. I don't think they will be able to repeat it in the final.

Took a massive performance from Kerry as well. Think the final will be pretty dogged, Kerry won't be as open as Dublin at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kerry 7/4 to win the final, crazy.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Kerry 7/4 to win the final, crazy.

I never bet once in my life, is that good or bad odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Donegal will win

Big price IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It makes Donegal favourites. Donegal are 8/13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hope Donegal do it, Kerry have won it enough times :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The odds should be closer but I think Donegal will beat kerry in a similar way to how they did in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

lukin wrote: »

Took two big performances from kerry to get through the semis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A real clash of styles.

The purists of the game in Donegal against the cynical niggly tactics of Kerry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I wouldn't put it past McGuinness to deliver. He's got momentum going now. He dismantled Dublin so effectively that he could do the same v Kerry. Just wouldn't put it past him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I reckon Donegal. They seem slighly better this year and beat the red hot favs. Kerry play a very defensive game and if they don't change for the final I think Donegal will win. Hard to see Kerry beating Donegal with a defensive style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Wonder what odds you would have gotten on a Donegal / Kerry final back in June!

Should be a fascinating contest. Donegal unexpectedly carved Dublin open at will yesterday and could've put more goals away. Don't think Kerry will gift them that space. Saying that, Donaghy will be well marshalled by donegal.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

quad_red wrote: »
    Wonder what odds you would have gotten on a Donegal / Kerry final back in June!

Should be a fascinating contest. Donegal unexpectedly carved Dublin open at will yesterday and could've put more goals away. Don't think Kerry will gift them that space. Saying that, Donaghy will be well marshalled by donegal.

Can't wait.

16/1 at the semi final stage which was an insult to both teams. Back in june the odds must have huge altogether.

It seems like it would almost be a mistake to start Donaghy against Donegal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Amprodude wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past McGuinness to deliver. He's got momentum going now.

Same goes for Fitzmaurice.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

This is going to be the tactical battle of the year, if not the decade. Both sides have a limited panel and both have developed and practically perfected their own respectively. Kerry have been playing a similar defensive style to Donegal this year but opt for the traditional kick passes from midfield into the forwards rather than work the ball up-field. It’s raises more questions than can be answered imo. Can Kerry overcome the defensive suffication or will Donegal get caught on the rebound? Realistically only one of these can be answered and which ever one is will determine the All-Ireland Champion. Hoping to get a ticket, although unlikely I’ll get any in Galway, for what should be an eagerly anticipated battle. I took Donegal at 19/1 for twenty last June, so here’s hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

keane2097 wrote: »
    It seems like it would almost be a mistake to start Donaghy against Donegal...

McGuiness will have more homework done on him already than Mayo had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Dublin have some outstanding forwards and many options up front and they were shut out basically. No goals and were forced to pick off long range points.

I don't think the Kerry forwards are as good as Dublins. Does Kerry have anyone like McMenamen to come off the bench for example who has pace and power. Some of their long range shooting against Mayo was woeful. Some of their short range shooting wasn't much better. JOD will find himself swarmed every time he gets the ball. The high ball into Donaghy, an obvious tactic which Donegal will be well prepared for and training accordingly. Something Mayo ommitted to do.

If Donegal can handle the Dublin attack, they can handle any attack. Donegal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Plus, when they didnt cough up a goal v dublin chances of one v kerry are very slim

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Yes foul and try get away with it, that is the tactic always employed against Donaghy, He was being fouled all day against Mayo. Donegal will give away at least one penalty guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Yes foul and try get away with it, that is the tactic always employed against Donaghy, He was being fouled all day against Mayo. Donegal will give away at least one penalty guaranteed.

Give it a rest, he wasn't fouled all day. He was fouled a few times and even those weren't clearcut frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

A real clash of styles.

The purists of the game in Donegal against the cynical niggly tactics of Kerry:D
    Wonder what this genius will have to say?
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/donegals-negativity-also-contributes-to-entertainment-30549414.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

harpsman wrote: »

Can't believe that tripe was posted in 2014. Donegal were great to watch from 2012 onwards. One of the most exciting styles for sure. As a defender I love seeing a team actually defend properly. Dublin's style this year reminded me of playing u14 years ago. Everyone wanted to attack and score and nobody cared for defending. Made me absolutely sick given I was a full back who actually enjoyed defending!

Anyway, how things have turned. Donegal now defend and attack better than kerry. Spillane must feel like a right spare tool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Its funny both sides play ultra defensively... when defending.

Both go ultra attacking... when attacking. Its a novel concept, that some people fail to grasp.

When the other team has the ball, we will get lots of men behind the ball and stop them from scoring, when we have the ball, we will push forward quickly.

Both defenses are vastly different. Kerry with pressure from some forwards on the ball, while others retreat. Donegal with a mass retreat system, which sees 13 outfield players sprint to their 45m line, and turn to defend.

Both attacks are different. Kerry use direct kick passing into space, and get runners inside. If that option isn't there, then the ball is popped outside to midfielders and half backs, who sometimes have a crack at a point, or sometimes try to find space again. Donaghy's introduction gives another layer, the high ball.

Donegal break quickly from defense, with lots of men running off the shoulder at full pace. They will try and burst through tackles and lay off the ball. If the space is there accurate footpasses in front of Murphy/McFadden (and last week for a while Gallagher) are given. If not, they will try and run as hard and as fast as they can at the defender, before popping the ball off.

They are both frustrating to score against, and both highly entertaining to watch, when attacking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement