Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Initial tests a few weeks/months back thought it was new, multiple follow ups say it's not a new strain. It's a Zaire variant.

Phylogenetic Analysis of Guinea 2014 EBOV Ebolavirus Outbreak

Clock Rooting Further Demonstrates that Guinea 2014 EBOV is a Member of the Zaïre Lineage

And it's a weeker variant at that with a kill rate currently standing at 59%. It's pretty much the same virus since it was discovered in 76. Incidentialy one of the strains doesn't kill humans at all.

And if they'd just put the money into it, (this outbreak will put a fire under them) they're would already be a cure.

I see theirs a cure for HepC now even, well their is if you have $84,000 in America, but a cracking bargain of only $56,000 in the UK.:pac:

lol, American health system.

Apart from Aids, which keeps on stumping them for now. Blink and it mutates, I think the tech know how is nearly there to crack them all.

So a new variant of Zaire with a lower kill ratio which should really make me feel a bit better but it doesn't..not yet :) viruses would prefer to not kill their hosts to fast the fact that Ebola Zaire killed so efficiently helped burn it out faster that might seem harsh of me but you know yourself it's how it is. The medical practises in Africa or lack of along with education of the people certainly have made a bad situation a whole lot worse don't think there's any doubt about that. I also have a feeling the actual number of cases is a lot higher than being reported. I couldn't see similar things taken place in a western country. I think they have been working on an Ebola vaccine but it was shelved or put on hold for some reason?..

Talking about us here in Ireland or in the west the threat from Ebola in it's current guise wouldn't concern me as much because we could handle it if we had too. potential recombination is more of a concern to me I really don't want to see this bug get any sort of a foothold in a dense population centre for now I shall be watching Nigeria. nice one for those links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Thanks. Although the first thought when I read the statement
    "Any chance of surviving Ebola largely hinges upon early access to medical care when symptoms such as fever, headache, and joint and muscle pain first arise." in this article was,

Malaria. All too common in the areas Ebola has raised its head. I'd guess many of those who get these symptoms pass it off as just that until too late.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

First suspected case in Ireland

http://www.thejournal.ie/ebola-1621206-Aug2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

hexosan wrote: »

And it's already been ruled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tbh i think its far worse then they are making out

CDC scientist kept quiet about flu blunder
    A government scientist kept silent about a potentially dangerous lab blunder and revealed it only after workers in another lab noticed something fishy, according to an internal investigation.

The accident happened in January at the headquarters of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. A lab scientist accidently mixed a deadly strain of bird flu with a tamer strain, and sent the mix to another CDC lab and to an outside lab in Athens, Georgia.

No one was sickened by bird flu. But unsuspecting scientists worked with the viral mix for months before it was discovered.

Scumbag. Could've killed folk in that other lab but said nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Twas Not wrote: »

Uhh, nigerian, had most of the symptoms including bleeding and still spends 6 hours in A&E.

Well done Spain.

Nil point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The Bárðarbunga volcano has potential do cause another Eyjafjallajökull (which really rolls off the tongue). Ash clouds a potential.

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/nr/2936

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Do ye reckon the is will cause a world war??

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

New updates regarding Ebola suspected cases:

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
    The Ebola virus came a little bit closer to home today after a woman was tested for the deadly disease in the German capital of Berlin. The 20-year-old woman, who collapsed while working at a Job Centre in Berlin's Pankow district was taken to hospital after showing symptoms of the virus. According to Berliner Zeitung the woman, who is originally from West Africa, said she had had contact with victims of Ebola in her homeland. The job centre was immediately cordoned off and around 600 people have now been quarantined inside, according to reports. Police have not confirmed the case was Ebola but said they were testing for the disease. The deadly virus can only be determined after a blood test is carried out. Early symptoms include fever and circulation issues and mucus. There have already been cases of Ebola found in Spain and Austria. A Spanish priest became the first person in Europe to be treated for the disease. Miguel Pajares suffered a fatal heart attack less than 48 hours after being diagnosed with the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Do ye reckon the is will cause a world war??

Islamic state?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Its here (maybe):

Tests ongoing in suspected Ebola case in Donegal
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0821/638520-ebola/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

touts wrote: »
    Its here (maybe):

Tests ongoing in suspected Ebola case in Donegal
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0821/638520-ebola/

Its odd, he was being treated for malaria, which means he obviously had some sort of symptoms. Also he'd recently travelled to Donegal from Dublin, surely if you have a severe enough case of Ebola to die you'd have some pretty serious symptoms prior to dying. Sad for his family but hopefully it was something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Reminds me of that Movie I am Legand for some reason!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

2 more in Nigeria, spouses infected and it looks as if the Nigerian control was not the best at the beginning

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-confirms-2-ebola-cases-114318752.html;_ylt=AwrBT8yvjvdTR5YAeQzBGOd_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

I would warn you that this is bleak, not one for the family to overhear that's for sure.

If you ever wondered how fracked up Liberia is...also the area they visit in the film is now a major hot zone for Ebola

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

2 more in Nigeria, spouses infected and it looks as if the Nigerian control was not the best at the beginning...
    Key word here is spouse - i.e. a person usually in very close contact.

Did you really ever expect 'Nigerian control' to be effective (in any critical scenario)?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The old Icelandic volcano - will it, won't it?

Best have your masks at the ready in case we get a Northerly wind if/when it does

http://www.ivhhn.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102

Ebola: Experimental drug ZMapp is '100% effective' in animal trials

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMapp#Production
    ZMapp is manufactured in the tobacco plant nicotiana in the bioproduction process known as "pharming" by Kentucky BioProcessing, a subsidiary of Reynolds American.[2][10] Monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) were first created in mice by injecting them with antigens from Ebola, harvesting their spleens, and fusing mature B-cells producing monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) with cancer cell lines to create hybridomas. After the best antibody is selected, the gene encoding the antibody was extracted, and certain portions were replaced with portions encoding human proteins, in the process called humanization. To create a system to produce the humanized mAbs at commercial scale, Mapp used a process called "Rapid Antibody Manufacturing Platform" (RAMP), using magnICON (ICON Genetics) viral vectors. In a process called "magnifection," tobacco plants are infected with the viruses, using Agrobacterium cultures.[2][8][11] Subsequently, antibodies are extracted and purified from the plants. Once the genes encoding the humanized mAbs are in hand, the entire tobacco production cycle is believed to take a few months.[12]

Ha, Tobacco saving rather than killing for a change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hundreds of children in the U.S. Midwest have been sent to hospital after falling sick with what’s thought to be a rare respiratory virus.

Symptoms resemble the common cold, but doctors say enterovirus D 68 seems to be sending more children to intensive care than a typical virus, particularly those with a history of asthma.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/rare-respiratory-illness-sends-hundreds-of-kids-in-u-s-to-hospital-1.2759197

Russia carried out a successful test of its new Bulava intercontinental nuclear missile on Wednesday and will perform two more test launches in October and November, the head of its naval forces said.

The armed forces have boosted their military training and test drills since the start of the conflict in eastern Ukraine, which Russia considers in its traditional sphere of influence.

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/Russian-Navy-Successfully-Tests-Nuclear-Missile-2014-09-10

borei_class_l3.jpg

Nothing especially new, but a reminder that this kind of threat really hasn't gone away.

http://en.ria.ru/military_news/20101207/161664867.html

Meanwhile, the rhetoric continues:

Putin Orders to Assess how Far Eastern State Bodies Operate in Wartime Conditions

Putin Orders Combat Readiness Checks in Russia’s Eastern Military District

Russia May Create Its Own Prompt Global Strike System: Defense Ministry

Putin: Russia Needs to Assess Potential Military Threats, Ways to Counter Them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

See today Obama wants to send in 3,000 troops to create order and get Ebola under control. What a way to get it to travel back home, lots of testosterone to be kept at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Ebola victims are coming back to life now it seems.

Back in Africa again and one of my colleagues here showed me this one earlier.

Liberia: Dead Ebola Patients Resurrect?

When this yarn gets around they'll be digging up victims. Exponential increase in infections.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

323 wrote: »

Back in Africa again and one of my colleagues here showed me this one earlier.

Liberia: Dead Ebola Patients Resurrect?

When this yarn gets around they'll be digging up victims. Exponential increase in infections.

Mostly I agree its a silly story that's going to cause trouble for those trying to stop the disease but part of me thinks ZOMBIES ha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

323 wrote: »
    Z apocalypse you say? Vampire / undead even? I'm ready already.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

First case od Ebola in US confirmed

http://time.com/3450540/ebola-outbreak-us-cdc/

Advertisement