Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You should never have to cut a sim to fit. all networks sell iphones which work with a micro/Nano sims.
    Just pop into your local network shop and get a new sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

OK genuine question. Why are people going with the Xaomi Mi3 over say, newer ,cheaper options like the THL 5000.

Just wondering is there something I am missing :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Barr wrote: »
    OK genuine question. Why are people going with the Xaomi Mi3 over say, newer ,cheaper options like the THL 5000.

The THL 5000 looks really good to me. The Mi3 does have the snapdragon processor, which is very nice and gives better GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I thought about the Thl 5000, but availability and the Snapdragon 800 swung me towards the Mi3. Only just, though, the big ol' battery in the Thl was mighty tempting.

Khannie wrote: »
    The THL 5000 looks really good to me. The Mi3 does have the snapdragon processor, which is very nice and gives better GPS.

I haven't heard of any issue with GPS on the THL 5000. The newer MTK chips are far superior to what was there before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I haven't heard of any issue with GPS on the THL 5000. The newer MTK chips are far superior to what was there before.

Yep briefly had a THL T200 ( MTK6592 ) and the GPS was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭nilsonmickey

I am in China at the moment on a business trip (Anshan Januyang and Beijing) and was thinking of buying a cheap smart phone for the aul lad. Just for skype etc instead of me calling the landline all the time. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There were camera issues with the thl 100 and 200. Have these shown up.on the newer phones ?

There were camera issues with the thl 100 and 200. Have these shown up.on the newer phones ?

I am going from the reviews and there is no mention of any issue with the camera. The camera seems to be very impressive in the 5000.

What were the issues with the 100 and 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Where is the place to buy the THL 5000 at the best price? Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

jodaw wrote: »
    Where is the place to buy the THL 5000 at the best price? Any suggestions?

Tis roughly €200 from Mixeshop with Dutch post (no customs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Might be a but risky ,if you want a fast GPS signal with THL 5000 MTK6592T chip ?

k123456 wrote: »
    Might be a but risky ,if you want a fast GPS signal with THL 5000 MTK6592T chip ?
    In terms of GPS performance, the 5000 is excellent poor. I stepped outside and activated the GPS and within under five seconds the device had a lock. Update: Further testing has shown that it gets harder to obtain a lock in built-up areas and once you get into a car getting a lock is almost impossible!

http://www.androidauthority.com/review-of-thl-5000-410058/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

How are xiaomi mi3 users finding the GPS please used abroad , interested in the m13, but I use GPS abroad a fair bit

I had a LG before, GPS worked well in Ireland, but as soon as you went abroad and the GPS took days to pick up a fix

How are xiaomi mi3 users finding the GPS please used abroad , interested in the m13, but I use GPS abroad a fair bit

I had a LG before, GPS worked well in Ireland, but as soon as you went abroad and the GPS took days to pick up a fix

Well, I'm finding it excellent here in Ireland, but you'll have to remind me again in November if you want feedback on how it is anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Are English and Chinese the only available languages on the Mi3? If so is there any way of installing new language options? Spanish for example

I am going from the reviews and there is no mention of any issue with the camera. The camera seems to be very impressive in the 5000.

What were the issues with the 100 and 200?

There is/was issues on wl100 and 200s where it came up camera can't connect. Seems a connector faulted out after a time (either melted or adhesive on it melted) and lost connection. Could be fixed I think readily enough (there is a thread on here somewhere about it)

corwill wrote: »

Ahh............ I had read the original article , looks like he has amended the GPS section.

Shame really as its a great phone for the money otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ahh............ I had read the original article , looks like he has amended the GPS section.

Shame really as its a great phone for the money otherwise.

Only one solution for you then...a Xiaomi:D

Only one solution for you then...a Xiaomi:D

Probably be most likely a Nubia or Lenovo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Are English and Chinese the only available languages on the Mi3? If so is there any way of installing new language options? Spanish for example

I think you need to reflash the whole ROM to change the main language. The spanish version is here http://miui.es/ There's a row of flags down the bottom that I assume will take you to different language ROMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

There is an international Miui rom that has lots of extra languages. Buy from any reputable aliexpress seller and it will come with this preinstalled (as they sell mostly to non english countries)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

There is/was issues on wl100 and 200s where it came up camera can't connect. Seems a connector faulted out after a time (either melted or adhesive on it melted) and lost connection. Could be fixed I think readily enough (there is a thread on here somewhere about it)

Think I have a similar problem with my MLAIS MX59, camera packed in after about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 binbag92

Hi. After spending the bones of the last week looking up these Chinese phones, I think I will pick the Elephone p2000. Has anybody on here got it and if so, could you give a brief synopsis if possible. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

binbag92 wrote: »
    Hi. After spending the bones of the last week looking up these Chinese phones, I think I will pick the Elephone p2000. Has anybody on here got it and if so, could you give a brief synopsis if possible. Cheers

people are having problems with elephones on the 3 network

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anyone want to recommend a good phone from one of these sites? I've been looking at loads on AliExpress (previously bought stuff from this site so prefer to use this) but there's so many I don't know what's best. Looking at spending maybe €100/150 and want the best possible phone for that money. Good camera, android apps etc. and dual sim preferably. Do all these phones come unlocked to work over here? Anyone have experience with these or Jiayu G3?

Thanks.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Anyone want to recommend a good phone from one of these sites? I've been looking at loads on AliExpress (previously bought stuff from this site so prefer to use this) but there's so many I don't know what's best. Looking at spending maybe €100/150 and want the best possible phone for that money. Good camera, android apps etc. and dual sim preferably. Do all these phones come unlocked to work over here? Anyone have experience with these or Jiayu G3?

Thanks.

If that's a budget of €150 before p&p (and possible customs/VAT), Jiayu G4S or Lenovo S960 Vibe X is a lot of bang for your buck. If that's your budget all in, then maybe the Xiaomi Redmi 1S.

thebuzz wrote: »

Thanks.
    Jiayu g4s 160 euro on bang good now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Because all the GPS assists were probably still set to Ireland, there are apps to speed up GPS locks by setting your destination manually, one of those would have probably fixed it for you, GPS shouldnt care where you are on the planet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement