Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ali Express cycling equipment

Options
  • 26-07-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Has anyone ever bought gear from this site?
    Looks too good to be true and seems likely to be cheap knock-offs.
    Is it any good/reliable, and can the clothing sizes be trusted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Shy Ted wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought gear from this site?
    Looks too good to be true and seems likely to be cheap knock-offs.
    Is it any good/reliable, and can the clothing sizes be trusted?

Go up a size. Made my first purchase this week. Report back later...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

I have bought my last three jersey sets from this site most jersey and bib shorts only $29 or €23 with free shipping, I agree go one size up on your usual and it doesn't really matter with things Like castelli Assos ect the three I have all seem to be the same fit. The pad is the best I have in any of my shorts. I have washed them loads and still good sure even if anything happened you would barely get a pair of gloves for that price. Only draw back is you will have to wait between 4-7 wks for delivery depending on the supplier I already have my winter Castelli's ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

I've ordered a few cycling clothing items from them.

Shipping from china takes 3-4 weeks normally. You don't want to add to this by going with a seller that's slow to dispatch so make note of their dispatch times which you can find under the asking price in the ad. My general rule to go with a seller that dispatches within 7 days or less.

Bib pants/shorts - state that you want silicone gel padding to ensure some decent padding. You may see images of such in the description in the listing.

Sizes. I order the bottoms in my usual size L but order the tops in the next size up as I found that they were a wee bit too tight a fit than I would prefer. This may not apply to you as you may be slimmer than I!

If you want I can try and stick up some photos when I get the chance to take some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Ordered from them twice.

First lot took forever but at least they arrived.

The second order never came but they don't want to know.

Not recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've bought from Aliexpress 4 times now, yes shipping is slow but then again it is free. Everything arrived and is excellent quality and I'd have no hesitation buying there again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

CJC999 wrote: »
    I've bought from Aliexpress 4 times now, yes shipping is slow but then again it is free. Everything arrived and is excellent quality and I'd have no hesitation buying there again.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Thanks for all the feedback. Its reassuring to know others have had success with the site.
    I guess the risk is spread out as well, as you're buying from multiple sellers who will dispatch separately.

With regards to going up one size, is that applicable for everything regardless of the brand (shorts, jerseys, trousers/pants, gloves etc...)?

Shy Ted wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback. Its reassuring to know others have had success with the site.
    I guess the risk is spread out as well, as you're buying from multiple sellers who will dispatch separately.

With regards to going up one size, is that applicable for everything regardless of the brand (shorts, jerseys, trousers/pants, gloves etc...)?

I usually go up one size in bibs and up 2 sizes in jerseys. Asian sizing tends to be smaller, so I'd say the same for gloves etc.

Go by there size charts which are generally accurate. I buy XL from the chinese sellers/Aliexpress and find it perfect. I'm 181cm and 76kg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Took the plunge and went one size up. If it doesn't fit, I'll not lose sleep as it didn't cost much. I ordered a set of lights as well which I'd be more eager to receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Do keep us informed Shy Ted. I'd like to take the plunge myself but unsure of the sizing issue. I'm 6 ft 1'' and weight wise go between 11 and a half stone to 12 stone depending on how many beers I've had in that month. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

I'm guessing their other cycling stuff (wheels, frames etc) aren't genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

paulo6891 wrote: »
    I'm guessing their other cycling stuff (wheels, frames etc) aren't genuine?

This seems a bit too good to be genuine:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-New-Garmin-Forerunner-910XT-GPS-Sports-Fitness-Watch-with-Heart-Rate-Monitor/1910972172.html

Has anyone one bought electronics or branded parts?

Tibulus wrote: »
    This seems a bit too good to be genuine:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-New-Garmin-Forerunner-910XT-GPS-Sports-Fitness-Watch-with-Heart-Rate-Monitor/1910972172.html

Has anyone one bought electronics or branded parts?
    If it is genuine it's likely it will get caught for import duty. No reason to suspect it's fake, only popular items that sell in really high volumes at low prices tend to be counterfeit.

EDIT: This garmin is available on amazon for €318 including delivery via parcel motel, what makes you think €300 is a too good to be true price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Ordered from them twice.

First lot took forever but at least they arrived.

The second order never came but they don't want to know.

Not recommended

OK, so I'll have to amend. It may have taken almost 4 months but my order did finally arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciaran_Hopper

Can any of you guys who have had positive experiences ordering gear post the names of the sellers you went with?

That's be really helpful rather than picking one and hoping they're one that you've used.

Thanks!

Do keep us informed Shy Ted. I'd like to take the plunge myself but unsure of the sizing issue. I'm 6 ft 1'' and weight wise go between 11 and a half stone to 12 stone depending on how many beers I've had in that month. lol.

You need XL. I'm 6ft and 12st 3lbs and XL is perfect fit on me. Large would possibly be too short on you.

Can any of you guys who have had positive experiences ordering gear post the names of the sellers you went with?

That's be really helpful rather than picking one and hoping they're one that you've used.

Thanks!

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/117139
    Placed an order 25/6/14, stuff arrived yesterday well packaged and in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Just ordered a winter set of those Castellis (or should that be Chinastelli?), at 28eur that's on par with AldiLidl pricing. Will see how this one pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Got a pair of 'castelli' shorts off them; arrived after a long time (you wouldn't want to be in a hurry, but if you're planning ahead...). Great shorts, sizing spot on (I went for a L, but a M would have fit me a little better...as per this thread, I went up a size, and they really are L...but still perfectly wearable, and very comfy indeed).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just ordered 2 jerseys and a pair of shorts. I know I'll be waiting an age, but hopefully they work out well. It'll be great if they live up to expectations. I'd buy 2 more sets if they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Go up a size. Made my first purchase this week. Report back later...

Received my first package today from one of the two suppliers I used.

Delighted! :D

I'm a slightly less than medium these days and I went for an L. If I was 33/34 waist I'd say XL would be the way to go. The Jersey is a perfect fit as I'm sort of in between small and medium in local sizes. I'm about 170cms in height.

The pad in the shorts is as good as anything I have laid my hands on in the local bike shops but note... I haven't been feeling up any of the 100e+ stuff in shops tbh.

I used this shop http://www.aliexpress.com/store/519562 and bought the Assos one as I was looking for "visable" and "please don't run me over" without white shorts.

Think I paid about 22e.

Going to order a nice winter kit now as Aug'tober has put me in that frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I used this store.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/320157
    Went for castelli bib shorts and jersey
    3 weeks to the day delivered perfect.. Really happy with the stuff.
    Go by the sizing on their listings and you won't go wrong
    I've ordered a jacket and a winter set of pants jersey now aswell :)
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Anyone ever order a carbon frame from Ali express?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

How are those prices possible? jersey and bib shorts, of good quality, for $15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

a148pro wrote: »
    How are those prices possible? jersey and bib shorts, of good quality, for $15?

Because it's China and copyright laws are laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Is it safe to pay ali express by credit ard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Recently ordered a jersey from cycling monton, will report back when(if) it arrives. €20 for it so not a whole lot ventured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

stecleary wrote: »
    Because it's China and copyright laws are laughed at.

As in theyre knocked off, albeit good quality knock offs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

a148pro wrote: »
    As in theyre knocked off, albeit good quality knock offs?

Yes, I have order kits from China before and the quality is very very good for the money you pay. My last order did that about 3.5 weeks to arrive but for the price I didn't care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement