Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ali Express cycling equipment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I received about half of my orders so far. Quality is excellent. Haven't received my jersey or shorts though, so can't give feedback on the sizes.

I've been thinking about the whole legitimacy of ordering from the likes of aliexpress, & I think it's no different than ordering from large stores self branded items. Practically all sports clothing is manufactured in China anyway, so quality shouldn't be too much of an issue. Its the large mark-up from the middle man that's removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

For those wondering about ali express let me tell you how it works. A friend of mine actually works for them in China. They are enormous! Think ebay for China. They are an off shoot of alibaba (which sells direct to trade) setup for the likes of us so as to stop us ordering through a trade site for 1 or 2 pieces. Aliexpress is primarily aimed at the English speaking work outside of China where as taobao is aimed at internal chinese market. They are the same company.

Ultimately like ebay you are ordering via their site to many manufactures or sellers in China so the quality or product, price, delivery time or even reliability of delivery depends on who you buy off. Aliexpress know this so when you pay by CC they issue what is essentially an IOU to the supplier promising them payment. If you do not receive your goods you can raise it with Aliexpress (i did this once) and they refund you rather quickly and hold payment back from the supplier. Since implementing this about 6 months ago all the dodgy sellers have largely gone off it as they know they wont get paid. Once you receive it you log back on and tag the item as received and as described/sold and they pay the supplier. So you are pretty safe.

As far as paying to them via CC well it's as safe as anywhere else I guess. They are very well secured and locked down so me personally I don't have an issue with them. I've bought a few times and each time the quality has been excellent for what I paid. I actually prefer to wear some of my €30 replica kits from them than the club kit which cost me north of €100. The sorts fit better and have a better padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

thats great thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Jane Odd Rim

Gonna order some winter cycling stuff from this crowd today since the weather seems to have turned. Will keep you all posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Gonna order some winter cycling stuff from this crowd today since the weather seems to have turned. Will keep you all posted.

As am I. Going to get a winter and summer kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

stecleary wrote: »
    Because it's China and copyright laws are laughed at.

Or part of their win back strategy since two Christian monks smuggled silk worms out of China in the 6th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I've a few bits just came in from aliexpress that are a bit big for me ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057273264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Jane Odd Rim

So I ordered a "Castelli" winter jacket and bib tight. Also "Castelli" leg warmers and "Giant" winter gloves. 50 quid all in so not too much lost if it all goes pear shaped. Was contemplating the fast delivery option since it seems to have turned into winter overnight out there but it was 50 euro per item! **** that I'll just pedal harder for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Anyone that has ordered from here before, how do you find the sizing? Would you base an Item on your weight or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

logik wrote: »
    Anyone that has ordered from here before, how do you find the sizing? Would you base an Item on your weight or what?

Did you not read through this entire thread? Sizing is covered numerous times. Use their size charts and you'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

I've ordered

2 Castelli ss jerseys
    2 Assos ss jerseys
    IAM team jersey
    Saxo team jersey

Total cost E80

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

furiousox wrote: »
    I've ordered

2 Castelli ss jerseys
    2 Assos ss jerseys
    IAM team jersey
    Saxo team jersey

Total cost E80

Which supplier did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

All different sellers.
    I just browsed the cycling jerseys and added the ones I liked to the shopping basket, then checked out.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

logik wrote: »
    Did you not read through this entire thread? Sizing is covered numerous times. Use their size charts and you'll be ok.

I've read through this thread and checked out the sizing charts on the website but even their XXXL size bib shorts are only 70cm in the waist. I'm 5'11, 34 inch waist and 42/44 inch chest and so by no means overweight but judging by their sizes, even the largest size they do wouldn't fit me. Or am I reading their sizing chart wrong???

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

You will see that.
    They size them un stretched.
    If you look on other sellers you will see like 70cm un-stretched and 100cm stretched or something like that.

I got 2 jerseys One the right size per chart and one a size bigger and for me anyway the right size as per chart fits best. The one size bigger is fine but does flap a bit in the wind. If worried for a tenner order 2 and at least you will know the sizes for future. I also ordered a bib to see what padding and fit was like before ordering winter stuff... Cheap as chips and worth a shot.

Quality is very good. Better than low cost cycling gear even online but not as good as top end stuff. Ideal for training / commuting and sparing the good gear for long days or sportives.
    Domane wrote: »
    I've read through this thread and checked out the sizing charts on the website but even their XXXL size bib shorts are only 70cm in the waist. I'm 5'11, 34 inch waist and 42/44 inch chest and so by no means overweight but judging by their sizes, even the largest size they do wouldn't fit me. Or am I reading their sizing chart wrong???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Thanks mate. Wanted some cheaper gear for the nightly runs/commuting and to save the expensive gear for the weekends/sportives. This stuff seems to fit the bill. I'll order my usual sizes and if they're too small, at least it won't have cost me much. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Domane just an fyi....I am 5' 9" and a 32" waist. Ordered a Medium in bibshorts and Large in jersey and the sizes were good.
    Hope that helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Got the gloves today in yhe post, seem to be very well made. Took about 3 weeks to arrive.

Domane wrote: »

I'm 5'11" with 32/33inch waist and 76kg with 40/42cm chest and XL are perfect on me so I'd say they'll be perfect on you too but you could buy both XL and XXL and sell whichever one doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

On 2nd August, I ordered some stuff from AliExpress. Payment was taken from my bank. On 5th August, I got an email, saying that my order had been dispatched.
    Today, I got an email fromAliExpress, stating that my order had been cancelled, because payment had not been received by them.
    So, my money is gone and my order has been cancelled.
    I have, of course, looked for an explanation and refund.

Be careful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Eamonnator wrote: »
    On 2nd August, I ordered some stuff from AliExpress. Payment was taken from my bank. On 5th August, I got an email, saying that my order had been dispatched.
    Today, I got an email fromAliExpress, stating that my order had been cancelled, because payment had not been received by them.

Be careful out there.

How did you pay? CC?

I have had my second order delivered today and once again I'm delighted! A different coolmax to the first supplier, with a lot more padding but everything fits great. Not sure how the extra padding will be on the bike but time will tell.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I paid by debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I've paid by debit card before and never had an issue.
    Can you check your account online? If so look for the payment and send them a screen shot if not get a statement and show them the payment

How did you pay? CC?

I have had my second order delivered today and once again I'm delighted! A different coolmax to the first supplier, with a lot more padding but everything fits great. Not sure how the extra padding will be on the bike but time will tell.

Which seller were they from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Eamonnator wrote: »

Be careful out there.
    If the order has been dispatched how can they cancel it? I'd wait a couple of weeks, I bet it arrives fine.

WillyFXP wrote: »
    If the order has been dispatched how can they cancel it? I'd wait a couple of weeks, I bet it arrives fine.

That was one of the questions, that I asked them.
    I'm hoping, that today's email was a mistake, and that the order has been dispatched.
    Time will tell!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Which seller were they from?

Yesterdays delivery was from http://www.aliexpress.com/store/117139

I got the BMC & Katusha Team. Ordered M but messaged them to change to an L, which is what I received.

The first store I used was http://www.aliexpress.com/store/519562

The padding from yesterdays delivery. 20rodxg.jpg

And from the previous delivery.
    2mx3dxk.jpg

Yesterdays delivery was from http://www.aliexpress.com/store/117139

I got the BMC & Katusha Team. Ordered M but messaged them to change to an L, which is what I received.

The first store I used was http://www.aliexpress.com/store/519562

The padding from yesterdays delivery. 20rodxg.jpg

And from the previous delivery.
    2mx3dxk.jpg

Which is better or have you had opportunity to try both yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just out of curiosity is nobody slightly concerned about the quality and material being used in this clothing, I'm asking after recent reports of carcinogenic material used in kids loom bands.

I mean they are knock off and significantly cheaper so where are they cutting the corners? I was going to order a couple of tops myself but decided against.

Anyway sorry to be a kill joy. I was just wondering.

Yes I know most clothing is made from the far east but I'd imagine large companies would expect to see some form of quality mark. Whatever that might be. I'm more interested at what they put in the bib padding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Not to digress off topic, but I'll just throw in my two cents.
    Its well known that health and safety wouldn't be at the forefront of concern in Chinese companies, but loom bands are manufactured in a completely different manner to clothing.
    I don't think its the same to compare the two.
    There are other materials on the market that are considered dangerous, are well documented, and most people are unaware of. PVC being a good example.

I think larger companies invest most of their money in marketing, sponsorship & profits.
    Most of the branded companies are manufacturing their products in China anyway.

I have always assumed that the fabrics, padding etc.. are manufactured by independant suppliers that then sourced by the branded & non-branded textile companies. (Kinda like the handles, seats, airbags of your car. They'd be sourced externally by the car manufacturer, and then assembled.) I could be completely wrong though. This is just my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement