Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

So Far Joey Holden has played against Galway Dublin and Limerick in every kind of condition, against every kind of opponent big, small , slow fast, dry sod , wet sod and has been excellent. After each game he has received, if not a man of the match award, an honorable mention. What more has he to do to prove his worth. He has claimed ownership of the jersey in exactly the way Brian Cody likes and preaches to his troops (and troops they are) to claim ownership of a jersey once given the chance. Conor Fogarty has done exactly the same. For Brian Cody to drop either would go against everything he has been preaching since taking charge.

You're probably right, I'd just prefer the team ellinguistico has picked there (which includes C Fogarty by the way).

Joey is a good player, no doubt, he just doesn't fill me with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Who would ye rather face in the final tipp or cork.? I was asking myself if we lost who would it be worse to lose to? After a long think, I think it would be worse to lose to tipp. They have this perception that if Liam sheedy stayed on, they would have won more with this team.
    I also think kk would be more motivated to beat Cork in the final because of last year and also the fact that both Henry's and Cody first all Ireland final was a defeat to a JBM Cork. We have beaten Tipp numerous times since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

You cant beat either of them often enough. Having said that I would prefer to beat Tipp in the final. I would also prefer to lose to Cork in a final so I am hoping (without losing any sleep over either) we meet Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

This one is nailed on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

There was a Full Round of Intermediate Games on this evening
    Group A
    Tullogher Rosbercon 1-15 0-12 Conahy Shamrocks
    Young Irelands 1-10 1-14 Glenmore
    Thomastown 1-14 0-18 St. Patrick's

Group B

Lisdowney 1-15 0-13 Dunnamaggin
    Emeralds 0-19 0-18 St Lachtain's
    Graigue Ballycallan 0-10 1-15 Mullinavat

As Mullinavat were racking up some impressive scores so far in that grade and being the only unbeaten team left, I decided to pay a trip to Piltown this evening to watch them in action against recently relegated Graigue Ballycallan. The opening exchanges were pretty poor with Graigue just shading it in the opening quarter but didnt have the scoring power to show for the Vats slow start, both sides struggled to create scoring chances and after 20 mins the score was just 2 points apiece. As both sides began to find their scoring touch it went in at the break with the Vat narrowly in front at 0-7 to 0-5. After the break the Vat took control and were much improved from their opening half performance, Graigue were struggling for scores and with Eddie Brennan not getting much breaks in midfield he was moved into Centre Forward and later Full Forward but he was well marshalled by the Mullinavat defence. John Walshs goal as the game entered the final quarter put the game beyond all doubt. Final Score: Mullinavat 1-15 0-10 Graigue Ballycallan.

What impressed me the most was the way in which they ran out fairly comfortable winners in the end without being overly impressive.Overall you could get the feeling that Mullinavat had a few more gears in them which they never really needed in this particular game and their superior scoring power won the day. The Vat are very much the team to beat in that grade this year and will take some stopping in my opinion, have all the makings to be a very good Senior Club. Kilkenny Minor hero John Walsh was absolutely outstanding for the Vat and must have scored 1-3 or 1-4 from play, the lad looks like a real talent, Kilkenny U21 Full Back Tom Aylward was also a very good performer for them along with Willie O Dwyer whilst for Graigue, fellow county minor Billy Ryan was the best on show for them and tried hard throughout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Hitchens wrote: »
    This one is nailed on ;)

I don't think either Tipp or Cork will lay a glove on them either. Massive fuel for people visiting from other sites but keyboard warriors don't win matches. Their togetherness this year seems at a different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This one is nailed on ;)

Oh no, I feel another batch of T shirts is about to be printed. Hope they work out better than the 'drive for 5' batch.

Oh no, I feel another batch of T shirts is about to be printed. Hope they work out better than the 'drive for 5' batch.

Especially for you Dan,;)
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0819/334158-live-kilkenny-v-tipperary/

One things for sure we wont be botching it in the last 15 minutes anyway unlike "some" teams

We'll find out tomorrow if donkeys win derbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We'll find out tomorrow if donkeys win derbies

God be with the days hitch when you had managers like Babs, Tom Ryan and Loughnane in charge. At least they would talk straight up and say what was on their minds. Nowadays it's all bland safeshot stuff , afraid to upset anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

God be with the days hitch when you had managers like Babs, Tom Ryan and Loughnane in charge. At least they would talk straight up and say what was on their minds. Nowadays it's all bland safeshot stuff , afraid to upset anyone.

Well they're certainly the polar opposite of the current spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Grats

Only got to read this article now. Thanks for highlighting it. Excellent piece by Darragh O'Shea. Some tribute to Cody and the players from one who should know what it takes to survive and be successful. No journalist ever did manage to capture it in such a fashion.

Well worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Which is worse Dan, some Kilkenny people having the neck to predict a 5 in a row due to team actually being in the the all-Ireland final after winning the previous 4 titles in a row or James Woodlock publicly predicting a 5 in a row in 2010 on the back of a single All-Ireland title, despite Tipp not winning more than one title a decade since the 60s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭randd1

We have them all stored in Tipp at the moment, because if Tipp win on Sunday, we'll be selling them for the next day out to all the Tipp fans, as Tipp will be actually be attempting to win 5 games in a row for once :D

Its about the only drive for 5 Tipp will have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Jaysus Tom Ryan, the most hilarious man in Ireland and mostly by accident. True though, tis all very sanitised stuff these days.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Jaysus Tom Ryan, the most hilarious man in Ireland and mostly by accident. True though, tis all very sanitised stuff these days.

Gerrouttadat................we still don't know what Ring said to Mackey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Browney7 wrote: »

haha was he not the inventor of the famous saying " i........i....put a big personal effort in myself this year" with a tear drop perched at the corner of his eye , before john kenny made it famous of course :)

but he was a great character and yeah very funny without trying

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Kilkenny Minor hero John Walsh was absolutely outstanding for the Vat and must have scored 1-3 or 1-4 from play, the lad looks like a real talent,

Every time he has been introduced from the subs bench this lad has produced the goods. I wonder will he be given a starting place for the final.

Every time he has been introduced from the subs bench this lad has produced the goods. I wonder will he be given a starting place for the final.

He has made a real impact indeed and really he should be starting, if he doesnt start for the final its a disgrace really and looks really bad on Pat Hobans part even more so as hes a Vat man himself. But Ive said it all along with Blanchfield, he is the best forward we have in my opinion even better than Alan Murphy and I dont say that lightly. He has bags of talent and hes a real natural hurler......He was the best player on the field by a mile for the Vat last night. I think he scored 1-6 or 1-7 altogether last night for them and about 1-3 or 1-4 of that was from play. I also heard he was an All Ireland U17 or U18 Handball Champion too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    He has made a real impact indeed and really he should be starting, if he doesnt start for the final its a disgrace really and looks really bad on Pat Hobans part even more so as hes a Vat man himself. But Ive said it all along with Blanchfield, he is the best forward we have in my opinion even better than Alan Murphy and I dont say that lightly. He has bags of talent and hes a real natural hurler......He was the best player on the field by a mile for the Vat last night. I think he scored 1-6 or 1-7 altogether last night for them and about 1-3 or 1-4 of that was from play. I also heard he was an All Ireland U17 or U18 Handball Champion too

We cud do with a few quality forwards to cone on. It seems like the well has dried up the last few yrs. Hopefully he and a few more wit him make it.

I could see this scenario tomorrow: Tipp are 3 points ahead with 10 minutes to go and they suddenly realize "oh friggin' hell if we win this we'll have to play them hoors from KK, and we know how that'll go"....................and Cork win by 7 ;)

A very good win for the Boro over James Stephens tonight. Hope there were no injuries in any of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Tonight's Results -
    O`Loughlin Gaels 0-17 1-15 Clara
    Tullaroan 1-10 2-20 Ballyhale Shamrocks
    St Martin's 2-12 1-24 Carrickshock
    Rower Inistioge 1-13 1-9 Fenians
    James Stephens 2-14 2-18 Dicksboro
    Danesfort 0-10 0-10 Erins Own

A very good win for the Boro over James Stephens tonight. Hope there were no injuries in any of the games.

Thought you'd enjoy that result alright! Boro lead early on by 4 points or so. Village fought back to lead at half time 2.7 to 1.7. Village lead by 5 points twice in second half but Boro finished strongly and won by a well deserved four points.

Excellent performance and result for Boro. Not only did they beat their great City rivals but in so doing qualified directly for the quarter finals and sent Village into the playoff for a quarter final spot. Young Andy Gaffney had a wonderful game for his tender years. Scored some great long range points from frees and had a very good game generally. No apparent injuries to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

No injuries in Danesfort v Erins Own game either, brutal game.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    No injuries in Danesfort v Erins Own game either, brutal game.

Rower v Fenians was an entertaining game. Much closer in the end than expected. In fact Fenians should have been even closer. No injuries there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

P Walsh got a knock to the knee in Shamrocks v Tullaroan game. Was back up and ready to go on after treatment when Tommy appeared to tell him to go off...He's some man.

From all your accounts that is three of the minor team who appear to have had great games for their respective clubs, John Walsh, Andrew Gaffney and Billy Ryan. it augers well for them.

• Advertisement

P Walsh got a knock to the knee in Shamrocks v Tullaroan game. Was back up and ready to go on after treatment when Tommy appeared to tell him to go off...He's some man.

As a matter of interest Belle how did Henry play and was he fit enough for the full match. I believe he should be in for Kilkenny from the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement