Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The outstanding An Autumn Afternoon - one of the greatest films from Yasujiro Ozu, hence one of the greatest films ever made - gets a re-release in the IFI next month.

Also, on a completely different note, a 70mm screening of Star Trek Wrath of Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

The outstanding An Autumn Afternoon - one of the greatest films from Yasujiro Ozu, hence one of the greatest films ever made - gets a re-release in the IFI next month.

Also, on a completely different note, a 70mm screening of Star Trek Wrath of Khan.

I'm a big Trekkie and this film was one of the films of my childhood. Absolutely cannot wait!

IFI showing Paths of Glory aswell from May 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Was Mad Max a blu-ray in the end?

Paths of Glory would be cool on the big screen. I take it that D-cinema doesn't include blu-ray as they usually state when it's the latter.

Some Ken Loach films on next month in the IFI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jurassic Park is being shown in the Lighthouse on the 26th May at 6:30pm

• Advertisement

paulieeye wrote: »

In 35mm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Went to see "Rear Window" in the Lighthouse on Monday, great to see once I was there but it was only a DVD, wish they'd advertise the fact in advance and I wouldn't have bothered.

Yeah they're quick to let you know when it's 35mm but whenever you ask about what format some other film is in they never tell you.

vidor wrote: »
    Yeah they're quick to let you know when it's 35mm but whenever you ask about what format some other film is in they never tell you.

Yeah dvd resolution is totally unsatisfactory for a cinema screen, the distant apt shots that make up a huge part of the film were indistinct and dark, even if they'd splashed out on a blu ray it would have been better, Iwasnt expecting 35 just D Cinema.shocking behaviour really. Emailed them and got no response.

Was anyone else at the Pulp Fiction screening the other night? Almost a full house and you could bring you beer in!!!

Anyone know what format it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I was there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

paulieeye wrote: »
    Was anyone else at the Pulp Fiction screening the other night? Almost a full house and you could bring you beer in!!!

Anyone know what format it was?

Aw Man - I'm always a day late checking this thread! :(

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Aw Man - I'm always a day late checking this thread! :(

follow the thread and set up notifications..some good stuff coming outta this!

Lots in the lighthouse from October to November - the shining, 2001, full metal jacket, a clockwork orange etc.

http://lighthouse.admit-one.eu/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&PHPSESSID=b5qm9vsq1g5gk76trnnf507fu2

Lighthouse, alladin and Good will hunting in aid of Pieta House: Suicide and Self Harm Crisis Centre

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=7020&utm_source=13+August+2014&utm_campaign=Newsletter+13+August&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Outdoor screenings of Dead Poets Society tonight in Merrion Square and Good Will Hunting on Saturday night in Fitzwilliam Square, again with all proceeds going to Pieta House:

http://happenings.ie/dublin/a-tribute-to-robin-williams/

Meant to mention it before but IMC cinemas have a Ghibli season staritng on the 20th of this month.

The films being screened are:
    My Neighbour Totoro on the 20 August
    Tales from Earthsea on the 27 August
    Howl's Moving Castle on September 3
    Grave of the Fireflies on September 10
    The Wind Rises on September 17
    Princess Mononoke on September 24

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Went to see "Rear Window" in the Lighthouse on Monday, great to see once I was there but it was only a DVD, wish they'd advertise the fact in advance and I wouldn't have bothered.

Are you sure it was a DVD? Bit of a joke when they could have picked up a copy of the Blu-ray for a tenner.

The only classic screenings I go to are the ones in the IFI, and even then, only when I’m sure it’s a proper digital print and not a DCP with the crappy DNR’d-to-death Blu-ray master on it, which the studios are very fond of doing.

Are you sure it was a DVD? Bit of a joke when they could have picked up a copy of the Blu-ray for a tenner.

The only classic screenings I go to are the ones in the IFI, and even then, only when I’m sure it’s a proper digital print and not a DCP with the crappy DNR’d-to-death Blu-ray master on it, which the studios are very fond of doing.

I remember going to a screening of Coppola's Dracula with a masterclass from the writer afterward and we were told that the film would be screening from a print. On the day what we got was the film projected from a DVD that skipped a number of times. I still don't know what was worse, the fact that they didn't even bother getting a Blu-Ray copy to project or the fact that nobody bothered to sit down beforehand and check the DVD would play properly.

What's the difference between a 'proper' digital print and a DCP? On the IFI site, iirc, they say it's a film print, d-cinema or blu/DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

D-cinema means DCP. It's how pretty much all films are projected these days.

A proper DCP is sourced from the highest quality digital transfer of the film. A bad DCP is just the heavily compressed Blu-ray master. Projectionists often speculate based on the file size but there's no way of knowing for sure without watching the film where the presence of excessive DNR and compression artefacts are the giveaway.

How can you be sure it's going to be a good digital print? Obviously when I just scanning through the programme, I'm just working off the film being shown in DCP.

That's my point, you can't.

They really should advertise what format they are projecting from, I've sent multiple emails to IMC and tried ringing them to find out what the format is being used for the Ghibli season. So far I have yet to get a definite answer. Had the same issue with the Dublin Grindhouse screenings, took multiple messages both on here and on facebook before someone got back to me with an answer.

A DCP or 35mm print costs a lot to transport, so if they don't explicitly state what format it is you can assume it's a DVD or Blu-ray. The Lighthouse's upcoming Kubrick season is a good example of this. The only mention of projection format is in the 2001 blurb, which says it is a "remastered digital print". I assume this is the recently released BFI print, which came from a transfer provided by Warners. Whether it's actually remastered or not was still unknown the last I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

A DCP or 35mm print costs a lot to transport, so if they don't explicitly state what format it is you can assume it's a DVD or Blu-ray. The Lighthouse's upcoming Kubrick season is a good example of this. The only mention of projection format is in the 2001 blurb, which says it is a "remastered digital print". I assume this is the recently released BFI print, which came from a transfer provided by Warners. Whether it's actually remastered or not was still unknown the last I read.

Where did you see this? Im interested in going to see this but not if its a DVD copy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having seen 2001 in glorious 70mm twice, I think I'll be avoiding that Lighthouse screening regardless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

A DCP or 35mm print costs a lot to transport
    I understand 35MM but DCP? Is it not just a digital file?

They usually come on special hard drives delivered by courier:

dcp.jpeg

Digital delivery is possible and likely to become the primary method in future, but I think HDDs are still the main form of transport and deliver.

Still a ****load cheaper than a print though!

• Advertisement

Yep 100% because I have the DVD they used in my own collection! It had a weird aspect ratio (kind of 12/9) and a momentary freeze at the exact point as my copy that I've only ever seen on my dvd version, plus the credits are the same, its actually poor even for a dvd!. Its this exact one:

hitchcock_rear_window_uk_dvd_cover_large_new.jpg

Advertisement