Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If anyone has 2 tickets to alladin and cant make it give me a shout. Went to buy tix last week and said id leave it until later to add my loyalty card num and by then it was sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Grindhouse Dublin are screening Brandon Lee's coup de grace The Crow on Halloween night in the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield at 22:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I would say yay!!! to that but mehopes not as I have tickets to see The Shining at that same time and place Halloween night :P:confused: Think someone at the cinema got mixed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The Lighthouse's upcoming Kubrick season is a good example of this....

I was interested in going to some of these films but saw no mention of the format so I'll pass. I assume they are just projecting blu-rays unless they have stated otherwise somewhere?

Much like another poster, I have emailed cinemas about format enquiries but rarely if ever get proper information back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

See that Dr, Strangelove is on tonight, any idea what the format is? Were previous Kubrick season films only Blu Ray or are they at least D Cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

Jean Cocteau's La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the Beast) from 1946 will be shown on Monday, October 27, at Brooks Hotel (Dublin 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

The Wickerman (the original obviously) will be shown in The Sugar Club on Wednesday 29th October as a fundraiser for First Fortnight, a charity that aims to challenge mental health prejudice through the arts.

Tickets are 10 euro and can be bought here and on the door if not sold out http://entertainment.ie/show-/The-Sugar-Club/First-Frightnight-Wickerman-Party-Night-in-aid-of-First-Fortnight/event-2728253.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Alien & Aliens double bill, Vue Cinema, Halloween night (Friday 31st Oct).

35mm screening of American Psyho in Lighthouse, 19.15 Monday, 27 October

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1643

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They must be reading this thread. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Late night Withnail & I screening tonight in the Lighthouse.

Showing on Screen 1, their largest.

franer1970 wrote: »
    Alien & Aliens double bill, Vue Cinema, Halloween night (Friday 31st Oct).

Do you know what format this is being shown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

VHS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playtime is in the IFI from Friday. A strong candidate for greatest comedy film in the history of cinema. Remove the comedy bit and you wouldn't be too far off either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I wish cinemas in Cork would screen classic movies more often. The only one I've seen was Back to the Future for its 25th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Playtime is in the IFI from Friday. A strong candidate for greatest comedy film in the history of cinema. Remove the comedy bit and you wouldn't be too far off either :)

Tempted but d-cinema is putting me off slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Next Wednesday 12th @8.30pm in the Lighthouse Cinema

Full_Metal_Jacket_poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

On the mobile version of the vue site under coming soon is 2001 A Space Odyssey is on 30 Nov

http://m.myvue.com/now-booking.aspx?cinemaid=60

( http://m.myvue.com/film-info.aspx?cinemaid=60&filmid=5265 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ushabye

Try not to be put off by 'D-Cinema'. The restoration of PLAYTIME was done at 4K retaining all the original grain of the celluloid. It looks magnificent. Though, on saying that, it doesn't beat the 70MM version I saw a couple of years ago, complete with a new DTS soundtrack. The experience was stunning.

Fingers crossed for the BFI's restoration of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY coming at the end of the month. The newly made trailer is currently running (in Cinemascope) at the IFI. But the image is worryingly dark. I hope this isn't reflected in the actual print.

Is that a new restoration Ushabye?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ushabye

According to the BFI it is a new restoration. If the trailer was struck from the final restored print, it'll be disappointing. The cut from the spinning bone to the missile platform...there's nothing but shadow, most of the detail is lost. I may be spoiled from watching the 70mm version a few times, but the detail is there on the bluray also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Frustrating that the IFI has no evening screenings of Playtime, but that seems to almost always be the case with their classic screenings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Ushabye wrote: »
    Try not to be put off by 'D-Cinema'. The restoration of PLAYTIME was done at 4K retaining all the original grain of the celluloid. It looks magnificent. Though, on saying that, it doesn't beat the 70MM version I saw a couple of years ago, complete with a new DTS soundtrack. The experience was stunning.

Thanks but as mentioned above, the showing times are crap so I won't get a chance to see it. I wonder what sort of numbers the IFI are pulling in for screenings like this, seems senseless to have them on during the day only.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

vidor wrote: »
    Thanks but as mentioned above, the showing times are crap so I won't get a chance to see it. I wonder what sort of numbers the IFI are pulling in for screenings like this, seems senseless to have them on during the day only.

There were only 1 or 2 empty seats at the 16.00 screening today but that was in the smallest screen. Unfortunately none of us got to see the film because of a power failure in the area! No Playtime for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    There were only 1 or 2 empty seats at the 16.00 screening today but that was in the smallest screen. Unfortunately none of us got to see the film because of a power failure in the area! No Playtime for me.
    Yeah was there too. Thought the staff handled it well and replacement tickets were offered but disappointing all the same. :(

Was at Leviathan right before it so at least my trip into town wasn't a complete waste.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Blade Runner is on in Cineworld on the 14th. Definitely going to see that.

"Grindhouse Dublin" are screening John McNaughtons classic - Henry : Portrait of a Serial Killer - this month, date tbc.

IMO it's Michael Rookers finest hour and easily the best serial killer movie ever made.

• Advertisement

"Grindhouse Dublin" are screening John McNaughtons classic - Henry : Portrait of a Serial Killer - this month, date tbc.

IMO it's Michael Rookers finest hour and easily the best serial killer movie ever made.
    How can I keep up to date with these? The last post on their website was for Tango & Cash last November/December. Don't have FB so I can't see their page.

Advertisement