Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Movies @ The Cinema | Times & Dates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Just a heads up about the screening of "Apocalypse Now" on 29th September in the Lighthouse Cinema:

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/comingsoon.php?_mc=10677

On 29th Sept. the book for discussion will be "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. The film "Apocalypse Now" will be shown first, then the book discussion will take place in the bar of the Lighthouse afterwards.

I've attended a few of these book club/film screenings and they are very good. Ideal for a film/literary buff like me.

Do you have to attend the book club or can you just go to see the film ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

You can just go to see the film. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present Rock ‘n’ Roll High School, a film featuring seminal punk rock band The Ramones!

Stage diving out of the cinema screen in a loud roar of teenage rebellion, Rock n’ Roll High School is a comedy classic which is sure to have you partying till dawn!

Featuring a class of recognisable b-movie luminaries, including PJ Soles (Halloween), Clint Howard (The Wraith) and Dick Miller (Piranha), amongst others, this cult Roger Corman production provides a wild night of laughs and entertainment!

The film also includes music from other punk legends such as Devo, Nick Lowe and Eddie & The Hot Rods, along with rock favourites Fleetwood Mac, Wings and MC5, and many, many more!

Grindhouse Dublin will take place exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield.

The film will commence at 10:30pm, Friday, August 30th. There will be drinks and merriment from 9pm in the Light House Cinema Bar.

A FREE PARTY will take place after the screening, downstairs at Fibber Magees, and will also include live music from Corrosive Machine (covering The Ramones) and S.F.U., followed by a DJ set.

HEY! HO! LETS GO!

Tickets Available here!

You can also find us below:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrindhouseDublin
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/GrindhouseDub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sugar Club are screening Back to the Future on September 18th at 20:30 and for anyone that attends they are transforming the place into a replica of the enchantment under the sea dance the following Saturday, the 21st, with the cinema ticket providing free entry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Sugar Club are screening Back to the Future on September 18th at 20:30 and for anyone that attends they are transforming the place into a replica of the enchantment under the sea dance the following Saturday, the 21st, with the cinema ticket providing free entry!

Sold out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Sold out :(

Oh, no, wait, that's the Saturday showing! Carry on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Some of these have been mentioned before but this is a pretty good list of all the films coming up at the Light House and includes the classics - Brando season, Hollywood Babylon's programme (Terminator, Indiana Jones etc), Lord of the Rings trilogy and some older music films as part of the OneTwoOneTwo festival (Spinal Tap etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Arcee wrote: »
    Some of these have been mentioned before but this is a pretty good list of all the films coming up at the Light House and includes the classics - Brando season, Hollywood Babylon's programme (Terminator, Indiana Jones etc), Lord of the Rings trilogy and some older music films as part of the OneTwoOneTwo festival (Spinal Tap etc)

A LOTR day! I'm tempted but I dunno if I could sit that long.
    I wanna go see Blackfish.

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present The Nanny, starring iconic screen legend Bette Davis!

Based on the novel by Evelyn Piper, this 1965 Hammer Film was a slight departure for “the studio that dripped blood” and its signature gothic style. Nonetheless, The Nanny is a suspenseful psychological thriller, featuring an unforgettably sinister performance from Bette Davis, which is sure to chill audiences to the bone!

Grindhouse Dublin will take place exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield.

The film will commence at 10:30pm, Friday, September 27th. There will be drinks and merriment from 9pm in the Light House Cinema Bar.

Tickets Available here!

You can also find us below:

Facebook

Twitter
    website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Anyone go to the Saturday Night Fever screening at cineworld tonight?!

Fecking awesome on the big screen!! :D

• Advertisement

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Anyone go to the Saturday Night Fever screening at cineworld tonight?!

Fecking awesome on the big screen!! :D

It really was awesome! The disco sequences were superb on the big screen. You could really get an appreciation as to why it was such a phenomenon in 1977. It was a very good sized crowd too. Easily one of the most enjoyable classic screenings I've attended. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Just a reminder that The Nanny is screening tonight at Light House Cinema in smithfield at 10:30pm!

This event includes a section of six grindhouse trailers, a screening of the multi-award winning Irish short 'Hatch',
    as well as a competition to win two DVD's (glen or Glenda and The Vampire Lovers).

All this for €9, Students €7.50!

Tickets: http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&eventCode=11088

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The Wicker Man Final Cut is screening in most IMC cinemas and others from Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Original Dawn of the Dead on in Movies @ Dundrum this Tuesday.

Went to The Wicker Man - Final Cut in the cinema this evening and loved it every but as much as I did when I first watched the film way back when I was 12 or 13. It remains of the greatest films ever made and it's influence can be felt on the work of many of the great directors.It's a perfectly pitched horror film that's all about the ideas and crafting a uniquely uneasy tone. It's at heart a study of contrasts and examines how conflicting ideologies clash. Really could talk all night about just what an amazing piece of cinema is but you owe it to yourself to watch it in the cinema during it's short theatrical re-release.

Sadly few people seem to be making the most of the opportunity to view such a classic on the big scene in such a nicely restored version as there was only 4 other people at the screening I attended and talking to the ticket seller before going in it seems that the film has been playing to nearly empty theaters. Real shame as if we don't support re-releases such as this then we'll most likely continue to get terrible "re-releases" which are nothing more than a DVD projected. I was shocked that the Wicker Man actually played outside of Dublin and had life not gotten in the way I'd have gone see it last Friday and at least once or twice more during the week. Tried to convince a few friends to go, people who studied film and want to work in the industry but none of them had any interest and the one that did felt that it was a waste of money as he found a 700mg rip online. If he'd been standing two foot closer I would have slapped him.

It's not a film for everyone and I can understand why so many people would dislike the film but it's one that I can rewatch time and again and never tire of.

Tried to convince a few friends to go, people who studied film and want to work in the industry but none of them had any interest and the one that did felt that it was a waste of money as he found a 700mg rip online.

Argh! Obviously, I don't know these people, but anyone who studied film, supposedly want to work in the industry and DON'T have an interest in seeing a film like The Wicker Man are just blinkered. I'm not suggesting that it is a film that everyone would want to see, but it is justifiably regarded as a classic and people who allegedly have an above-average interest in film should not pass up a chance to see it on the big screen. Not everyone is a fan of horror films (though that term is only loosely applicable to The Wicker Man), but certain films from all genres are arguably mandatory viewing for film scholars, and that is one of them.

As for the online rip argument, I truly despair. That'd be like me not bothering going to see it in the cinema on the basis that I'll be buying the Blu-Ray this weekend.
    I saw it in the Lighthouse in Dublin last week and it was very well attended.

Argh! Obviously, I don't know these people, but anyone who studied film, supposedly want to work in the industry and DON'T have an interest in seeing a film like The Wicker Man are just blinkered. I'm not suggesting that it is a film that everyone would want to see, but it is justifiably regarded as a classic and people who allegedly have an above-average interest in film should not pass up a chance to see it on the big screen. Not everyone is a fan of horror films (though that term is only loosely applicable to The Wicker Man), but certain films from all genres are arguably mandatory viewing for film scholars, and that is one of them.

As for the online rip argument, I truly despair. That'd be like me not bothering going to see it in the cinema on the basis that I'll be buying the Blu-Ray this weekend.
    I saw it in the Lighthouse in Dublin last week and it was very well attended.

I think a lot of people who study film do it as they assume it's nothing more than watching films. It was ridiculous how few of people there had heard of, let alone seen any of the work of Ingmar Bergman, Éric Rohmer, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Herzog, John Cassavetes, Billy Wilder, Akira Kurosawa, David Lynch, Errol Morris, Wong Kar-wai, The God Damned Coen Brothers, Abbas Kiarostami, Hayao Miyazaki, Terence Davies, etc, etc.

The Wicker Man is the quintessential horror film and one that manages to create such a unique sense of unease. There's an inherent sense of something not being quite right all the way through and it manages to be far more horrifying than any of your Hostels or Saws without once ever resorting to cheap gore or bloodshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have to say its not a film I would have any interest in seeing, and I like old movies.

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present the Grind House of Horrors Double Bill, featuring Tobe Hooper’s original 1974 classic ‘The Texas Chain Saw Massacre’ and the rarely screened cult favourite ‘Tourist Trap’!

Revving into the Light House Cinema on a deranged rampage of chain saw wielding mayhem, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre still remains one of the most controversial and influential shockers of all time. This is a rare opportunity to see the frenzied film on the big screen, a film which noted critic Rex Reed called “the most horrifying motion picture I have ever seen!”

Praised by Stephen King in his book ‘Danse Macabre’, Tourist Trap is an eerie gem, which features an off-kilter atmosphere and a dose of macabre humour, making it the perfect companion piece to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre!

The Grind House of Horrors Double Bill commences at 10:15pm, Friday, November 1st. There will be drinks and merriment from 9pm in the Light House Cinema

Don't miss out on this terrifying double bill for only €10!

Tickets: http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&eventCode=11292

Let us know if you are attending the event here

• Advertisement

Is Tourist Trap going to be screened from a print or just a regular old DVD? I know that there is a remastered Blu-Ray being released in the US in December and it's nice to see the film getting a big screen outing but it would be a shame if the presentation was lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

So, who was at the halloween screening on Nightmare on elm street at cineworld last night?! :)

Have to say it was a great one for the night that it was, great atmosphere and packed but not uncomfortably, plus I had forgotton most of this movie so it was nicely scaretastic for me :D

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present the 40th anniversary screening of BONNIE’S KIDS, an explosive powerhouse crime thriller of 70’s exploitation cinema!

This is the première screening of Bonnie’s Kids in an Irish cinema! It will be shown exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield on Friday 29th November at 10:30pm, so don’t miss out on this authentic grindhouse screening!

For further details click through to our Facebook Event Page

Click Here For Tickets

“Bonnies Kids is quintessential 1970’s cinema” – George R. Reis, Drive In Cinema

“A gritty, fun 70′s crime flick [Bonnies Kids is] a damn near perfect Grindhouse film” – Dan Larsen, Rare Cult Cinema

“Bonnies Kids is superior 70s drive-in fare” - Christopher Mills, DVD Late Show

Lighthouse have released their Christmas classic schedule

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=2866&PHPSESSID=ql3l1530qdkppn1r0vpuqueje7

Thats my annual fix of Die Hard sorted.

The IFI have a mini Bruce Dern Season in December with The Driver, Drive, He Said, Coming Home and The King of Marvin Gardens (which they have already shown this year), but regrettably no Silent Running or Black Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The Town Hall Theatre in Galway is showing 'Its a Wonderful Life' this Sunday afternoon at 3:30.

www.tht.ie

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present ‘SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT’, a cult 1972 favourite, which is sure to chill you to the bone!

Grab your tickets here!

After years in obscurity, Silent Night, Bloody Night returns to an Irish cinema screen for one blood-soaked night only, featuring Mary Woronov, who you may remember from our screening of Rock ‘n’ Roll High School, as well as cult icon John Carradine.

Silent Night, Blood Night is notable not only as a horror film that fell foul of Irish censorship and was banned on home video during the 1980’s, but as one of the earliest horror films to employ a maniac’s POV shot; something that would later be popularised by similarly eerie classics, such as Black Christmas and John Carpenter’s
    horror landmark Halloween!

Silent Night, Bloody Night will be shown exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield on Friday 27th December at 10:45pm!

Tickets €9.00 - Students €7.50

Special thanks to Film Chest Media Group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Grindhouse Dublin, in association with Light House Cinema, are proud to present ‘SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT’, a cult 1972 favourite, which is sure to chill you to the bone!

Grab your tickets here!

After years in obscurity, Silent Night, Bloody Night returns to an Irish cinema screen for one blood-soaked night only, featuring Mary Woronov, who you may remember from our screening of Rock ‘n’ Roll High School, as well as cult icon John Carradine.

Silent Night, Blood Night is notable not only as a horror film that fell foul of Irish censorship and was banned on home video during the 1980’s, but as one of the earliest horror films to employ a maniac’s POV shot; something that would later be popularised by similarly eerie classics, such as Black Christmas and John Carpenter’s
    horror landmark Halloween!

Silent Night, Bloody Night will be shown exclusively at Light House Cinema, Smithfield on Friday 27th December at 10:45pm!

Tickets €9.00 - Students €7.50

Special thanks to Film Chest Media Group

I hadn't seen this and had a look on YouTube to find the trailer. Noticed the entire film was on YouTube (albeit fairly ropey quality) but watched it and thought it was really good. Anyone know any others from the genre that stand out as being worth watching?

Advertisement