Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discipline or abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just to be clear here, I was meaning a short sharp smack that a parent would normally never apply. I am not talking about first resort. I am talking about when the parent is really tested and pushed to a limit. I never intended it to be implied as a hard wallop that could cause injury, or serious injury. I am anti smacking of children, but I wouldn't hang a parent for an odd smack here and there, done out of pure fright or after being really pushed to their limits. First resort smacking bugs me, and thought out and intentional/deliberate smacking or striking bugs me more. As in retrieval of instrument and the ritualistic delivery of a physical punishment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So what you are saying is that it is ok (excusable) to lash out if you are stressed/tested/pushed to your limit? I am not sure if I am picking you up correctly

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that it is ok (excusable) to lash out if you are stressed/tested/pushed to your limit? I am not sure if I am picking you up correctly

Lash out? I am simply saying that I am anti smacking as a first resort. I understand sometimes a parent smacks, or "lashes" out if you want to describe it as such, because they have been really pushed to a limit (last resort), or a major fright causes them to react with a short and sharp smack, an extremely rare occurrence for them. Not some wallop that could really hurt a child. Not some sort of systematic and frequent smacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In my opinion I can see no reason why a parent would ever lash out in anger at their child. It is inexcusable. If they can control their violence in a stressful job or an adversarial argument or a fight with their spouse then there is no excuse to lash out at a child. If someone can't control violence they have no business being a parent.
    As I said earlier I am personally not in favour of hitting children but would concede that there is an argument to be had for corproal punishment. Proponents of corporal punishment would not lash out in this manner. They would give the punishment in a measured way.

. They would give the punishment in a measured way.

And I find this to be very disturbing. In a perfect world I would love no child to be smacked. I am willing to accept that at times, a parent will resort to a smack. This I can live with and I can understand. No parent can say that they will never do it. You can't know this for a fact. The smacking of a child as a first resort, or the casual smacking whenever the child does something to bother a parent, really annoys me. But this ritualistic and systematic inflicting of pain through the smacking/striking of children is for me inexcusable.

BTW, not all the time is a parent smacking out of anger. Last resort smacking, short and sharp, and not at all heavy, can be done without being angry, and can be done in "some sort" of measured way. Not just swinging from the rafters in a rage.

In relation to the thread title: Corporal punishment, or the systematic and deliberate and ritualistic smacking/striking of children is something I cannot ever agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

personally, if you can't make a point without resorting to violence, you've already lost and that applies just as much to disciplining a child as it does to almost everything else in life (with the possible exception of boxing/MMA etc.)

my father was a secondary school teacher in the UK in a very rough area in the 70's and 80's and he was teaching at the time when they banned corporal punishment there.

He actually gave up teaching not long after that, not because he liked hitting kids, but because he was faced with classrooms of kids that had grown up with the constant threat of violence held over them but were now "free" to do what they wanted and (at that time) none of the teachers had been given the tools or training to deal with that kind of rebellion from students.

he grew up at a time when corporal punishment was pretty much standard practice and an attitude that "it never did him any harm", but I imagine it did everyone an equal amount of harm because everyone got the same treatment.

I'm 37 now and as far as I can remember, I was smacked probably 2-3 times in my whole childhood and only ever for something really extreme that I hard "earnt", always dished out by my father and always reluctantly, but it was what was expected of him in such situations.

I'm not sure if it did me any harm or not, either consciously or subconsciously, but I won't be hitting my own kids, I know better now than my father did, as we all do.

thinking back though, as much as I knew that I disliked getting a smack from my father, it was always my mother I was most afraid of, even though she never laid a hand on me throughout my entire childhood and I don't think she ever even threatened physical violence, all she ever did was look at us a certain way and that was enough.

she always used to say that she had "death look one" and "death look two" and if you ever got death look one and didn't behave right away, death look two would be right behind it and it would be the last thing we ever saw.

to this day i only ever saw death look one, but it was always enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 marcmc5

My father maintained discipline in our home with his leather belt. It was only administered occasionally and when it was you learned from it. Now I know a lot of people on this thread might think him a violent, aggressive, abusive brute but the truth of the matter is he was a mild mannered, caring, hard working man and a brilliant dad who raised all of us to be respectful with a proper standard of morals who have never been in trouble with the law. Point made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

vibe666 wrote: »
    personally, if you can't make a point without resorting to violence, you've already lost and that applies just as much to disciplining a child as it does to almost everything else in life (with the possible exception of boxing/MMA etc.)

Already lost what?

Maguined wrote: »
    Already lost what?
    whatever the point was you were trying to make, unless your only point was that you are physically capable of beating someone up who is weaker than you.

if you can't make a point without resorting to physical violence, you didn't have a point to begin with.

whatever the point was you were trying to make, unless your only point was that you are physically capable of beating someone up who is weaker than you.

if you can't make a point without resorting to physical violence, you didn't have a point to begin with.

You are making declaritive statements without any sort of reasonable argument behind them. My parents disciplined me physically when I was a child, I learned the difference between acceptable behaviour and not acceptable behaviour. I learned responsibility. So your claim that my parents failed to make a point because they did so with physical discipline is invalid.

Please tell me how either my upbringing was a failure due to my parents discipline or how my life would be improved from what it currently is if my parents had chosen not to physically discipline me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,936 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In my opinion I can see no reason why a parent would ever lash out in anger at their child. It is inexcusable. If they can control their violence in a stressful job or an adversarial argument or a fight with their spouse then there is no excuse to lash out at a child. If someone can't control violence they have no business being a parent.
    As I said earlier I am personally not in favour of hitting children but would concede that there is an argument to be had for corproal punishment. Proponents of corporal punishment would not lash out in this manner. They would give the punishment in a measured way.

It might be inexcusable but that won't stop most people.

My own father never passed up an opportunity to make me feel like something he dug off the bottom of his boot. I got walloped for anything from picking my nose to swearing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

For those who advocate or support or don't see much harm in corporal punishment, can I ask at what age do they feel does it become appropriate for a child to be beaten/punished/struck with a belt or spoon?

Please tell me how either my upbringing was a failure due to my parents discipline or how my life would be improved from what it currently is if my parents had chosen not to physically discipline me?

for a start I imagine you'd be a lot less needlessly argumentative and overly defensive of people physically abusing their children.

for a start I imagine you'd be a lot less needlessly argumentative and overly defensive of people physically abusing their children.
    Mod note - No need to personalise. There are valid points being made on both sides of the argument which should be respected

walshb wrote: »
    For those who advocate or support or don't see much harm in corporal punishment, can I ask at what age do they feel does it become appropriate for a child to be beaten/punished/struck with a belt or spoon?

When the child is old enough to be able to speak and express their own will sufficiently. My parents would talk to me first, they would try and reason with me. If I refused to be reasonable I would receive several warnings about how unreasonable I was being before they would use the wooden spoon on me.

There would be no point is physically disciplining a child too young to be verbally reasoned with. Similarly the age at which my parents stopped physically disciplining me was when I was old enough to realise disregarding my parents consistently was not reasonable so I think I was maybe 7 or 8 when it stopped. By that age I had learned to listen to my parents when they tried to rationally and reasonably instruct me so I no longer rebelled against them enough that they felt they needed to discipline me.

This is a discussion thread. You gave your opinion and I gave mine.

I am perfectly capable of attacking your arguments without attacking you personally despite by your definition my parents physically abusing me growing up so I would appreciate the same from you.

So do you have a more reasonable answer? If by your definition my parents physically abused me growing up yet I feel I am an ordinary reasonable member of society how would my upbringing be better if my parents never physically disciplined me?

When the child is old enough to be able to speak and express their own will sufficiently. My parents would talk to me first, they would try and reason with me. If I refused to be reasonable I would receive several warnings about how unreasonable I was being before they would use the wooden spoon on me.

There would be no point is physically disciplining a child too young to be verbally reasoned with. Similarly the age at which my parents stopped physically disciplining me was when I was old enough to realise disregarding my parents consistently was not reasonable so I think I was maybe 7 or 8 when it stopped. By that age I had learned to listen to my parents when they tried to rationally and reasonably instruct me so I no longer rebelled against them enough that they felt they needed to discipline me.

All children develop at similar and different rates. 3/4/5 year olds can be verbally reasoned with. Doesn't mean they do exactly as you want. The thoughts of such a young child getting beaten with a belt of spoon because they committed some "wrong" is wrong!

I guess I just cannot fathom what a young child could do that would warrant them being physically assaulted by the person that is supposed to be their most loving ally.

This is a discussion thread. You gave your opinion and I gave mine.

I am perfectly capable of attacking your arguments without attacking you personally despite by your definition my parents physically abusing me growing up so I would appreciate the same from you.

So do you have a more reasonable answer? If by your definition my parents physically abused me growing up yet I feel I am an ordinary reasonable member of society how would my upbringing be better if my parents never physically disciplined me?
    the question was asked, i simply responded to the request.

pretty much every study done on the subject shows that physically abused children are more likely to become more aggressive adults who in turn are more likely to have any number of related metal issues as a result.

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but by your own admission you were hit with a wooden spoon and by ANY reasonable definition of abuse, as a direct result of that you were physically abused whether you believe it or not.

physical abuse is physical abuse, full stop. laying your hands (or even worse a weapon) on someone with the express intention of administering physical pain or discomfort on that person = physical abuse, just because it's being done to a child under the guise of discipline doesn't change that simple fact.

to put it another way, if another adult could take you to court for any given form of physical abuse towards them, then doing the same thing to a child is also physical abuse, not discipline.

All children develop at similar and different rates. 3/4/5 year olds can be verbally reasoned with. Doesn't mean they do exactly as you want. The thoughts of such a young child getting beaten with a belt of spoon because they committed some "wrong" is wrong!

I guess I just cannot fathom what a young child could do that would warrant them being physically assaulted by the person that is supposed to be their most loving ally.

You clearly don't see the distinction between corporal punishment and assault and believe me there is a world of difference. Granted some parents have in the past overstepped that line but the majority of them don't and should not be vilified for using corporal punishment

marcmc5 wrote: »
    You clearly don't see the distinction between corporal punishment and assault and believe me there is a world of difference. Granted some parents have in the past overstepped that line but the majority of them don't and should not be vilified for using corporal punishment

Ok, remove the word assault.

What wrong could a young child do to justify them being beaten/struck/hit with a wooden spoon, or some other instrument? That's what baffles me. Are grown adults that incapable of non physical discipline of a young child? That they feel that physical discipline is the only measure when all else fails? I'd love to know what all else is? Is it a case of the child not doing what they were told on 2-3 occasions?

As to some parents overstepping the mark as regards the administering of corporal punishment, I assume you mean a really heavy or bad beating? A beating is a beating. Even the "less" severe will still be quite painful I'd imagine? They are hitting the child to inflict pain. Otherwise they wouldn't waste the thought and effort to do it. A poster here said they'd have a sore behind for a couple of hours. That's not some pat on the backside they got.

Imagine going too hard or heavy on a 4/5 year old when administering corporal punishment? That's quite sick when you think of it.

But, imagine not going too hard. But still causing a 4/5 year old a lot of discomfort, and pain. Still a sickening thought in my opinion.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/assault

I am not all that off the mark, am I? Dressing this up as corporal punishment or disciplining children doesn't fool me.

• Advertisement

Ok, remove the word assault.

What wrong could a young child do to justify them being beaten/struck/hit with a wooden spoon, or some other instrument? That's what baffles me. Are grown adults that incapable of non physical discipline of a young child? That they feel that physical discipline is the only measure when all else fails? I love to know what all else is? Is it a case of the child not doing what they were told on 2-3 occasions?

As to some parents overstepping the mark as regards the administering of corporal punishment, I assume you mean a really heavy or bad beating? A beating is a beating. Even the "less" severe will still be quite painful I'd imagine? They are hitting the child to inflict pain. Otherwise they wouldn't waste the thought and effort to do it. A poster here said they'd have a sore behind for a couple of hours. That's not some pat on the backside they got.

Imagine going too hard or heavy on a 4/5 year old when administering corporal punishment? That's quite sick when you think of it.

But, imagine not going too hard. But still causing a 4/5 year old a lot of discomfort, and pain. Still a sickening thought in my opinion.

I don't think anyone here is talking about brutalising kids and it's amazing when this debate rears it's head how many people refer to the extreme examples. I got a smack to the behind when I was small and occasionally from maybe the age of 10 upwards the belt would have been used. Now I don't think in the 70's and 80's when I was growing that this was uncommon either in the home or at school and I certainly don't think that all parents/teachers who administered such punishments were abusers guilty of assault.

marcmc5 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here is talking about brutalising kids and it's amazing when this debate rears it's head how many people refer to the extreme examples. I got a smack to the behind when I was small and occasionally from maybe the age of 10 upwards the belt would have been used. Now I don't think in the 70's and 80's when I was growing that this was uncommon either in the home or at school and I certainly don't think that all parents/teachers who administered such punishments were abusers guilty of assault.

I am aware that not all people administer corporal punishment at the same level. But it is administered with the express intent to cause hurt/pain, is it not? What I find mad is how any grown adult could justify doing this to their young defenseless child.

Having a sore behind for two hours? How would you class something like this? I would call it worrying.

I don't think the perpetrator of corporal punishment is striking the child and thinking to him/herself "I hope this isn't hurting them." The intent is to hurt.

the question was asked, i simply responded to the request.

You answered in an abusive way that violates the rules of the forum hence the moderator posting the warning. You could of responsed in an objective manner but you chose not to.
    pretty much every study done on the subject shows that physically abused children are more likely to become more aggressive adults who in turn are more likely to have any number of related metal issues as a result.

Can you provide any such study? Because you do not distinguish between physical discipline and physical abuse I have to admit I am wary if I can trust any studies you claim regard "abuse".
    I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but by your own admission you were hit with a wooden spoon and by ANY reasonable definition of abuse, as a direct result of that you were physically abused whether you believe it or not.

physical abuse is physical abuse, full stop. laying your hands (or even worse a weapon) on someone with the express intention of administering physical pain or discomfort on that person = physical abuse, just because it's being done to a child under the guise of discipline doesn't change that simple fact.

I have to disagree, I believe plenty of reasonable people are capable of distinguishing between physical discipline and physical abuse. To be honest the fact you cannot I find a bit disgusting as you are insulting the experiences of victims of genuine abuse.

Other posters have already contributed to this thread to give examples of the abuse they received. Parents beating their children with full force causing broken bones and permanent injury not to mention the pyschological trauma of such abuse yet to you this is the same abuse my parents gave me because they used restrained hits from a wooden spoon to my behind never causing any permanent injury or psychological damage.

I have sympathy for those who were abused growing up, I do not consider myself one of these people. I was very lucky to have the parents I had growing up and have never once felt abused in my life by them.
    to put it another way, if another adult could take you to court for any given form of physical abuse towards them, then doing the same thing to a child is also physical abuse, not discipline.

The comparison is not valid because of the nature of the parent child relationship. If your argument is true then how do you explain bedtimes? If another adult came into my home and I told that person they had to stay in the bedroom until the morning this would not be legal. An adult has their own free will and if I tried to restrict their movement and force them to stay it is holding them against their will however a parent is allowed do this to their own child. A parent is allowed reasonably restrict their child to their rooms. Also if I threw out another adults possessions as I did not think it was a good influence on them that adult can bring me to court for destroying their property while a parent can do this to their children. The parent/child relationship makes your arugment on this particular point flawed.

I am aware that not all people administer corporal punishment at the same level. But it is administered with the express intent to cause hurt/pain, is it not? What I find mad is how any grown adult could justify doing this to their young defenseless child.

Having a sore behind for two hours? How would you class something like this? I would call it worrying.

I don't think the perpetrator of corporal punishment is striking the child and thinking to him/herself "I hope this isn't hurting them." The intent is to hurt.

The intention is to teach the child, the physical pain is just the medium. Just as if you try and reason with a child the intention is to teach them but the medium is verbal.

A sore a behind for two hours does not worry me at all. What is the long term negative effect a sore behind can achieve? Kids hurt themselves playing GAA all the time, I have never met a single GAA player than has not endured an injury more severe than my sore behind growing up. Are you worried about the hundreds of thousands of children playing GAA each week?

You assume, when I was 4 years old my mother would of been in her mid thirties, she would of been in her physical prime and could easily of hurt me very severely but she obviously had to conciously restrain her power each and every time I was disciplined since I never injured beyond said sore behind for two hours.

The intention is to teach the child, the physical pain is just the medium. Just as if you try and reason with a child the intention is to teach them but the medium is verbal.

A sore a behind for two hours does not worry me at all. What is the long term negative effect a sore behind can achieve? Kids hurt themselves playing GAA all the time, I have never met a single GAA player than has not endured an injury more severe than my sore behind growing up. Are you worried about the hundreds of thousands of children playing GAA each week?

You assume, when I was 4 years old my mother would of been in her mid thirties, she would of been in her physical prime and could easily of hurt me very severely but she obviously had to conciously restrain her power each and every time I was disciplined since I never injured beyond said sore behind for two hours.

Your trying to compare the intentional inflicting of pain on your child (for doing something that bothers you, or is "wrong") with sports injuries is weak, and not all that relevant.

Your trying to compare the intentional inflicting of pain on your child (for doing something that bothers you, or is "wrong") with sports injuries is weak, and not all that relevant.

Why is it weak or irrelevant? Why are you worried about a sore bum for 2 hours but you do not worry about a broken wrist? You have made a statement, can you explain your reasoning behind it? I am comparing the injury sustained from physical discipline against the injuries received from sports.

You worry about a sore behind because you do not see it as being needed at all. You view it as completely avoidable hence even the smallest injury of a sore behind worries you. Sports can be completely avoided, especially injury prone ones like GAA. A child can be kept physically healthy without doing GAA yet if you hear of a child with a broken wrist from GAA do you worry about them or do you write it off as it is fine as it will heal in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Generally when this topic comes up and someone says that they were hit by parents and possibly hit their own children I think of being a teacher (in loco parentis!)... If they say it never did them any harm I ask Is it ok for a teacher to hit your kids? No it aint, its assault on a minor.

Corporal Punishment is an out of date word for backward societies. We've moved on, we don't punish a child's body to teach their mind. If that was the case I'd just save myself the bother and have all the kids in my classes fitted with electric shock neck collars to 'teach them'...

If I lost a finger and said it taught me to switch the lawnmower off before cleaning... would I advocate free finger amputations being given out with every lawnmower bought...
    In the general scheme of things, the loss of a finger 'never did me any long term harm' ... so therefore is it a valuable method of teaching/learning.

Don't hit, find another way, other parents can do it, why can't you.

Sports do require a certain consent.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Generally when this topic comes up and someone says that they were hit by parents and possibly hit their own children I think of being a teacher (in loco parentis!)... If they say it never did them any harm I ask Is it ok for a teacher to hit your kids? No it aint, its assault on a minor.

Corporal Punishment is an out of date word for backward societies. We've moved on, we don't punish a child's body to teach their mind. If that was the case I'd just save myself the bother and have all the kids in my classes fitted with electric shock neck collars to 'teach them'...

If I lost a finger and said it taught me to switch the lawnmower off before cleaning... would I advocate free finger amputations being given out with every lawnmower bought...
    In the general scheme of things, the loss of a finger 'never did me any long term harm' ... so therefore is it a valuable method of teaching/learning.

Don't hit, find another way, other parents can do it, why can't you.

The parent/child relationship is not the same as a teacher/child relationship. The law already differentiates between corporal punishment at home and in school. In Ireland corporal punishment is not allowed in school but is allowed at home. There are many things a parent is allowed to do that a teacher is not.

Also we have not moved on as it is still legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal_punishment_in_the_home

Losing a finger is a permanent injury that does cause you harm, you no longer have the use of your finger. A parent cutting off a childs finger would not be considered moderate punishment but actual abuse. A sore behind for two hours leaves no permanent injury.
    Sports do require a certain consent.

I know plenty of kids forced to go to sports because their parents believe it will educate them in having a healthy lifestyle. The parents do not want their children to become too sedentary and so force the children to go to sports. The children are forced to engage in sports they do not want to do and can incur injuries, do you worry about these injuries when the children have not given consent? Or do you believe a parent could not force a child to participate in a sport without the childs permission?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Why is it weak or irrelevant? Why are you worried about a sore bum for 2 hours but you do not worry about a broken wrist? You have made a statement, can you explain your reasoning behind it? I am comparing the injury sustained from physical discipline against the injuries received from sports.

You worry about a sore behind because you do not see it as being needed at all. You view it as completely avoidable hence even the smallest injury of a sore behind worries you. Sports can be completely avoided, especially injury prone ones like GAA. A child can be kept physically healthy without doing GAA yet if you hear of a child with a broken wrist from GAA do you worry about them or do you write it off as it is fine as it will heal in time?

Would you mind if I broke your child's arm as a teaching strategy?

There is a big difference, one is incidental injury the other is intentional injury. If you can't understand the difference then god help the next person who bumps into you on the street.

Advertisement