Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discipline or abuse

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

diveout wrote: »
    You are making such a big stink over something that has such a wide area of context and variability without taking into consideration generational differences.

The big problem with punishment and reward is that both have to be increased over time to be effective. And then where do you go with that? There is no end game.

It would not suprise me if in 25 years time there was a thread on here about using the naughty step... discipline or abuse... using humiliation and shame to control your child.

Perspectives change over time and you have to allow for that.

For me the deliberate beating or hitting of defenseless children to "discipline" them was never ever alright, in any era.

BTW, I wouldn't be pro humiliation and shame either, not that it is relevant. Children need love/care/attention and discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maguined wrote: »
    Can I ask your opinion on little girls getting their ears pierced? It is parental choice so there are many varied answers, I have seen two year olds with pierced ears and I have seen fourteen year olds that are still not allowed by their parents. Do you think a parent that allows their 6 year old daughter to get her ears pierced is committing abuse? The child is too young to give consent and it can be painful, pain that I warrant lasts longer than two hours from what I remember of my sister getting her ears pierced as a child. I have also heard of a child having her ears pierced against her consent because her mother wanted her to have it done. Is this also child abuse as it is unecessary physical pain to a child?

There are many parental choices that I disagree with. Many. The ear piercings at such a young age would be something I wouldn't do. It's a very difficult question when you bring in the term abuse. I would be more annoyed at that parent slapping their two year old than having their ears pierced, if that can explain it. So, a parent loves their child and would never inflict slapping on them, but did have their ears pierced at 2-3 years old? Not much annoyance from me. A parent regularly slaps their young children but would not pierce their ears? I would be more annoyed at them

Advertisement