Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Pay for Recruits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Anyone who starts their training after 1st Sept 2014 regardless of the recruitment drive will be paid £19K. Its due to the Windsor reforms which have been on the cards for a while. If you look at the 2013 recruitment poster it says "£23K subject to change"

Unfortunately I think it will turn out like this as well :(

Ultimately, they'll do what they want as they had that magic 'Subject to change' line in there. There's not too much anyone can do about it either.

I do think it's really crappy that a candidate could miss out on £4k a year due to admin issues at Deloitte's end.

PC John and PC Jane got the exact same AC scores but Jane did her AC several months before John and therefore got accepted first. Is it fair John loses out financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

There will be war if that is the case, Homer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

personally i think it will apply to the new campaign, i don't see how they could get away with it, yea it said subject to change but surely it would have to mean those changes being rolled out across the entire campaign rather than it applying to a select few who got accepted later through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Definitely worth making noise about; I'm sure the Federation certainly are.

The Fed are one of the entities that okay-ed it i believe! Sure constables are currently trying to oust the current fed at the moment !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dicor12

I sent recruitment and email asking for clarification regarding the new pay scale.

Anyone from the 2013 campaign will be on £24k, £19k only applies to those in the more recent 2014 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

Dicor12 wrote: »
    I sent recruitment and email asking for clarification regarding the new pay scale.

Anyone from the 2013 campaign will be on £24k, £19k only applies to those in the more recent 2014 campaign.

Wooohoooo!! Thanks for letting us know! That's great news :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Dicor who did you email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Skip84

Hi just to clarify, when you talk about 2013 and 2014, I assume you are talking about the date of initial application?

So if I applied in 2013 then I would be on the originally advertised 23k

Thanks

• Think tax year folks.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm if new recruits still get the danger money allowance ?

• Can anyone confirm if new recruits still get the danger money allowance ?

If you mean the special allowance, then yes, I believe it stays in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

How much is the special allowance? And does it increase or decrease year to year?

• Batman91 wrote: »
    How much is the special allowance? And does it increase or decrease year to year?

I don't want to give specific figures, but half a normal rent a month... Ish? And it hasn't changed in the last few years to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Think tax year folks.

any clarification on this Test?

Members here have had Psni HR confirm that it is the old a scale for 2013 candidates. However personally I want to hear someone who is in there now or going in tell us that's what's in their terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Members here have had Psni HR confirm that it is the old a scale for 2013 candidates. However personally I want to hear someone who is in there now or going in tell us that's what's in their terms and conditions.

No one will be able to tell you that with 100% surety until the people who start in September actually get in (and more likely, the end of October when they get paid) so as usual, it's all about the waiting game on here lol.

You must get a salary in your terms and conditions/contract on starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

You must get a salary in your terms and conditions/contract on starting?

Nothing like that is mentioned in the induction pack, it'll probably be gone over on intake Sunday when you actually become an employee of PSNI, which for Intake 5 won't be happening till near the end of September so there's still going to be a lot of speculation till then.

Had a look at the site for 2014 campaign, it states that the starting wage for that competition will be £19,000 it doesn't make any reference to when the new pay brackets will come in ie. sept 14/oct 14.

If it makes direct reference to the fact that the pay for 'this competition' will be £19k then the inference in that the 2013 competition will have to be paid at that level. Otherwise the value of the contract between the employees as advertised and the actual value are so materially different that they would be incompatible with current eu procurement law and would as such be open to legal challenge.

This is under the provision that hiring of staff is covered by the general procurement legislation which in fairness it should be as employment law is for once you are in employment not when you are applying.

At least that is my take on it.

• Advertisement

Had a look at the site for 2014 campaign, it states that the starting wage for that competition will be £19,000 it doesn't make any reference to when the new pay brackets will come in ie. sept 14/oct 14.

If it makes direct reference to the fact that the pay for 'this competition' will be £19k then the inference in that the 2013 competition will have to be paid at the 2013 advertised level. Otherwise the value of the contract between the employees as advertised and the actual value are so materially different that they would be incompatible with current eu procurement law and would as such be open to legal challenge.

This is under the provision that hiring of staff is covered by the general procurement legislation which in fairness it should be as employment law is for once you are in employment not when you are applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Sdcharger

Skip84 wrote: »

If it makes direct reference to the fact that the pay for 'this competition' will be £19k then the inference in that the 2013 competition will have to be paid at the 2013 advertised level. Otherwise the value of the contract between the employees as advertised and the actual value are so materially different that they would be incompatible with current eu procurement law and would as such be open to legal challenge.

They advertised as pay being under review so there is no legal argument, as previously stated people have enquired and it seems everyone will be on the higher band for this recruitment however I wouldn't 100% guarantee it until your first pay cheque comes through or you get it clarified at induction.

Even though the pay was advertised as under review, the difference in levels of renumeration is approximately 20% of total annual value, therefore it probably isn't compatible. As far as I am aware the highest material difference in value under legislation can be 10% even accounting for when we advertised based on estimated usage/values and inform tendering companies of such.

A good brief/union could challenge this based on the value involved.

Also the wording of the new campaign specifically saying that 'this' campaign basic starting pay will be 19k seems to emphasise that they are applying it to the 2014 campaign and not the 2013 campaign, otherwise you would state a date ie. from Sept 2014 the new basic starting salary will be.

I'm not expert and only basing it on what I know of procurement law from my current job.

Give over about the pay, if you are THAT worried about pay you are applying for the wrong job.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

Give over about the pay, if you are THAT worried about pay you are applying for the wrong job.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but is that not what this thread is about. Besides people want to know what is happening. I myself want to know, as some have said before, if it was to drop to 19000 from sept I don't think it's financially viable for me in my situation. Does this mean I don't want the job as much as someone who doesn't care what salary they start on? Absolutely not.

3 or 4 people have contacted HR about it and confirmed pay will remain as is for 2013 campaign applicants.

Best thing to do is ring/email psni/deloitte yourself if you don't trust what others are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

3 or 4 people have contacted HR about it and confirmed pay will remain as is for 2013 campaign applicants.

Best thing to do is ring/email psni/deloitte yourself if you don't trust what others are saying.

Yes DC I know that is the best way. Even at that I wouldn't trust/believe them until I was in with pay check in hand. I'm just saying that this thread/board is full of useful sometimes useless information that people are only too glad to read about. Maybe giving some a ray of hope of some sort what ever stage they're at.

I'm not worried about the pay as such, just trying to reassure those who are. My wage would be similar to what I am on now if the new payscale came into place for 2013 applicants.

I do understand why some people would be though, as a drop to 19k can inform a lot of your decision making. If for instance it isn't really viable to live in your area long-term for security reasons the potential of moving to an area which is a bit more secure is directly related to your level of pay, especially for those who are single and cannot get a mortage based on two incomes.

Those with young children or other dependants who really want the job can also be concerned about pay because they might face financial hardship if they were to suffer an unmanagable drop in pay, which could be detrimental to those dependants.

I actually think it's quite unfair of you Desert to automatically assume that people are concerned because they are just after the money, while ignoring that other factors come into play.

Don't take the risk then, turn down their offer. Speculating about whether HR is lieng is crazy in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I agree, I wasn't speculating whether HR or lying or not. As I said it doesn't make much difference to me as the pay levels are similar. I think people are just concerned that there hasn't been a general broadcast to 2013 campaign members confirming the previous payscale.

All in all i'll just be happier to have a job were I can make a difference as opposed to sitting on a computer all day and by the time you are in 5 years anyway the pay evens out, the new payscales seem to be designed to deter people entering the profession because it pays well rather than because it is what they want to do.

Besides by the 5 year mark I would have liked to have moved up a rank at least.

Advertisement