Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pay for Recruits

Options
  • 29-07-2014 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on here so hello! The initial payscale for new recruits has changed very recently. The starting pay is now around £19,000 as opposed to £23,000 which it has been up until now. If you check out the reruitment website now it has changed to £19,000. There is talk that this is effective for all new recruits who begin employment from September 2014 but I don't know how true this is. Just thought I'd make people aware.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

For applicant this year the pay scale has been reduced to £19000. That is true.

Applicants from the previous campaign (2013) I believe are still in line with the pay grade advertised for that year. Previous e-mail correspondance in my inbox mentions the expect pay grade.

Roumor has it that the reason for the pay cut is because NI gov didn't take the care reform package and has money to find to plug the gap as the NHS here is running up penalties hence a reduction in pay (which I think is ridiculous)

The NI gov also mentioned that everything would be budget cut except for education and health.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clanman889

I believe it was Dekkers who previously clarified this point a few weeks ago. He/She emailed HR and was informed that it's definitely £23k for Septemeber 2013 campaign applicants and £19k for June 2014 applicants.

There had been much debate prior to this. It was all up in the air for a while on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Does anyone know what's happening with the pay progression points the 2013 campaign were shown. Does anyone still have them ?

I'm not overly confident HR provided the correct info to dekkers. I would keep that email safe anyway :-) Has anyone had it confirmed from anyone who has started?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Would be war if they reduced the pay for the 2013 campaign, would lose a few hundred candidates Id imagine.

It's not that I don't trust HR but I don't trust HR :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

Surely the funds for all 378 potential trainee officers would have been secured at the £23,000 rate back in 2013?

You would think so. I just wish someone who's in now could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

Im not if they are allowed to write on websites like this once they get in because it goes very silent when it happens. Or they are super busy buried under mountains of work and cant even spare a thought to us boardies

I imagine they aren't allowed. No way it's 24/7 work. Probably lose your vetting and get disciplined if you post. Still hoped something would have leaked out.

We can only take the word of the email to Dekkers but I'm cautiously accepting it as can't see them confirming it if they weren't certain.

• Advertisement

Yes let's hope so. Do we know if it was a senior HR manager who replied?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

Anyone who starts their training after 1st Sept 2014 regardless of the recruitment drive will be paid £19K. Its due to the Windsor reforms which have been on the cards for a while. If you look at the 2013 recruitment poster it says "£23K subject to change"

There appears to be no new scale available to view yet anywhere I've searched. Just a bit of a kick in the teeth that peers are safe and sound simply because they got called first. It does say however that new salaries although lower will allow new officers to progress quicker to the same level as existing officers. If this is correct I'd see it as fair enough as it appears you'll eventually be in line with everyone else in a few short years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

New pay scales can be seen here:

http://www.local.gov.uk/documents/10180/6144395/2014-12+New+pay+scales+for+officers+in+PSNI/fe18e7c3-a56a-419d-8156-64fa7b556eaa

Until it's confirmed by HR or those starting post-September, it's up in the air.

Thanks for that info. My feelings are that despite the lower starting salary it catches up to everyone else by the 5 year mark anyway. As it's the career I want I'm not gonna let it bother me as you'll be on level terms before too long anyway. Can't really look at it badly or you'll be starting with sour grapes and it'll tarnish the experience.

We'd like to offer you a position as a student constable, but come here to me, you didn't get 2 or 3 questions right at your AC so your starting pay is cut by 3 or £4k, would that be alright or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Going to be very unfair if the pay is changed half way through ... Not going to be nice sitting in GV knowing that people who are also there are on more money just because they got a few marks more in the AC ....

LG1985 wrote: »
    Going to be very unfair if the pay is changed half way through ... Not going to be nice sitting in GV knowing that people who are also there are on more money just because they got a few marks more in the AC ....

True! I'd be much happier if all new boots started on same salary, either 19k or 24k, not both. Plain and simple, it's totally unfair.

19k is me out. Too much of a drop for career change, mortgage, kids etc. Couldn't afford it even for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

19k is me out. Too much of a drop for career change, mortgage, kids etc. Couldn't afford it even for a few years.

What stage are you currently at?

• Advertisement

PCA soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dicor12

What's the best way to get in contact with HR or Recruitment to ask the question? The only email address I have is for Deloitte.

You'll have to go through PSNI switch board and ask for HR or police postings.

I think the Windsor review makes it pretty clear it's 19 know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭221988

I heard from a source inside the PSNI that the campaign we are in will all be starting on £23k. God knows if that is true or not but here's hoping it's the case. I got 73 at AC, i've been delayed due to vetting- which has now cleared. As much as i really want this job i'll be asking the question of why people with lower scores than me on more money due to vetting taking longer!! I dont see how they could do that, it would create a really bad atmosphere in GV between everyone. When you think of the lifestyle changes and risks that are involved with this job- even in training- £19k isnt very reflective, fair enough it will go up soon enough but if that's the case, why do it? My head is pickled with this whole process, we are nearly at the year mark since we applied!! Grrrr lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tommy Gunn

221988 wrote: »
    I heard from a source inside the PSNI that the campaign we are in will all be starting on £23k. God knows if that is true or not but here's hoping it's the case. I got 73 at AC, i've been delayed due to vetting- which has now cleared. As much as i really want this job i'll be asking the question of why people with lower scores than me on more money due to vetting taking longer!! I dont see how they could do that, it would create a really bad atmosphere in GV between everyone. When you think of the lifestyle changes and risks that are involved with this job- even in training- £19k isnt very reflective, fair enough it will go up soon enough but if that's the case, why do it? My head is pickled with this whole process, we are nearly at the year mark since we applied!! Grrrr lol!

Did they contact you about your vetting, or did you have to chase them up? I'm on a similar score and haven't heard anything.

Hiya, yeah i contacted them on the 101 number. They were very vague, they just said that my vetting wasnt complete, then i called them again, same response, then the third time they said it had cleared. I got the phone call but had to defer. I would just ring them, when did you do your medical?

It's a month now since the phone calls last went out so i'm hoping for this week or next!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭coogie_boogie

Hiya, yeah i contacted them on the 101 number. They were very vague, they just said that my vetting wasnt complete, then i called them again, same response, then the third time they said it had cleared. I got the phone call but had to defer. I would just ring them, when did you do your medical?

It's a month now since the phone calls last went out so i'm hoping for this week or next!!

I also deferred so hoping for another call this week.

Fingers crossed. I have to have a quick check with occupational health on Thursday so hoping the timing works.

I'm nervous and excited, havent a clue what to expect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Tommy Gunn

Start of June. Seriously hope it doesn't put me on the lower payscale.

Advertisement