Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Knick (Steven Soderbergh) [Cinemax]

• 23-02-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,506 ✭✭✭✭

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eve Hewson is to star opposite Clive Owen in Oscar-winning director Steven Soderbergh's new, 10-part series for Cinemax, The Knick.
    Deadline.com, which broke the news of Hewson's casting, says the series is set in New York's Knickerbocker Hospital in 1900 as staff strive to break new ground in medicine.
    Hewson, the daughter of Bono and Ali Hewson, will play Lucy, described as "a young, naive nurse from the South" who comes to New York for adventure.
    The cast also includes Michael Angarano, Andre Holland and Juliet Rylance, with Soderbergh directing all 10 episodes.
    Production is due to begin in New York in late September.

Clive Owen stars as a Dr John W Thackery, surgeon at the hospital. The Knick also features Steve Garfanti, Andre Holland, Juliet Rylance, Chris Sullivan and Jeremy Bobb.
    No announcement on the premiere date has been made but the series will air 10 episodes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Calling that video a 'tease' is really stretching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

"Comes to New York for adventure...". That doesn't sound marvellous to be honest. I'll give it a chance though. The last thing I saw She-Bono Jr. in was 'This Must Be The Place' which was a complete pile of ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,506 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sky Atlantic has acquired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Retirement going well for Soderbergh, so?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Just watched this. Loved it, something I will definitely get into.

entertaining but not too engaging :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thought it was very good too. Definitely has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

80's soundtrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

80's soundtrack

Yeah not sure how I feel about the snyth as of yet, thought they would have gone for something more classical.

episode 2, what a contrast between Dr. Thackery & Dr. Edwards :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Really enjoying this anachronistic soundtrack and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The soundtrack is more like a the Mass Effect soundtrack than anything else, very much enjoying the show, Clive Owen is excellent in nearly everything he is in in my opinion.

episode 4, Dr Thackery seemed to a little recognize Dr Edwards talent but due to his racist attitudes, he might take a longer time to appreciate & accept Dr Edwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I don't even know if thackery is racist, I think he likes the status quo and having a black doctor would entail dealing with people who are racist and that is probably more work than thackery is willing to put in.

I don't think he has anything against Edwards except he couldn't be arsed dealing with having someone that rocks the boat for patients.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I don't even know if thackery is racist, I think he likes the status quo and having a black doctor would entail dealing with people who are racist and that is probably more work than thackery is willing to put in.

I don't think he has anything against Edwards except he couldn't be arsed dealing with having someone that rocks the boat for patients.

from the introduction knowing Dr Edwards is a black, he has been hurling remarks on him & disallowed him to perform op , if this is not racist i don't know what to say ;
    despite that Dr Thackery values talent & he started to recognize & impress by Dr Edwards from episode 4 & 5, his attitudes toward him only begin to change after the op in episode 4 & even choice him to perform with him in episode 5 though he can always get his subordinates & the claim of shortage of staff just an excuse

thackery wants a ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

5 episodes in and I think it's excellent.
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a buzz around it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah not sure how I feel about the snyth as of yet, thought they would have gone for something more classical.
    Found it goes well with the drugs he took?

14 minutes in, and it grabbed me. Liked the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,506 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on Sky Atlantic on Thursday October 16th at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

great show, some great acting Hewson, the guy who plays Cleary, Owen. And the music is amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Enjoying this alot after watching the first 5/6 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

sweetie wrote: »
    great show, some great acting Hewson, the guy who plays Cleary, Owen. And the music is amazing...

Just watched the first episode on the sky player and I absolutely loved the music,bit of a Clive Owen fan too so that helps, can't wait for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just finished watching the first season. Liked it a lot. The ending
    was pretty bleak for just about every character... Will be interesting to see how season 2 plays out, with the unwanted marriage, the moving of the hospital, and Thack's 'recovery'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Just finished watching the first season. Liked it a lot. The ending
    was pretty bleak for just about every character... Will be interesting to see how season 2 plays out, with the unwanted marriage, the moving of the hospital, and Thack's 'recovery'.

Yeah I loved it, one of my favourite shows on at the minute.
    Has a second season been confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Burgo wrote: »
    Has a second season been confirmed?

It was renewed a month before it even aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

Almost finished the 2nd season of the knick and I have to say its even better than the 1st. Acting,direction & the soundtrack are first class.
    Best show on TV at the moment in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I compared it to Downton Abbey on drugs there last week - its brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone know when Sky are showing this?

Need something to fill the Leftovers void :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Stunning last episode, superb season.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Is this on TV currently - really enjoyed the first series, was not aware the second had started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Sky are showing this?

Need something to fill the Leftovers void :-)

Geektown have Season 2 starting on Sky Atlantic on January 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yep, can't wait, thought the first season was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

One of the best shows around at the moment. Love every single episode. I love how they incorporate so many inventions in to it and the set looks so authentic for early 20th century New York. Very clever show and fantastic acting. Cleary is my favourite character :D

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Cleary is awesome. He reminds me of my brother-in-law, or what the brother-in-law would probably be like had he lived 100 years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

Just finished watching the final episode of Season 2.
    wont spoil it for others , but suffice to say its gripping, well acted , tense TV

soderbergh has big plans for season 3 & 4 apparently , but they wont be made for another year at least.
    in the meantime ,emerge yourself in this show , cos its a doozy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent season and a great finale. Really love the choice of music here and the decision to go with an electronic synth score.

Lots of great characters but I think Cleary is a stand out and his romance story line was genuinely sweet. I wonder did the writers do a bit of research into Ireland for once? Some of the phrases - "I'm only slaggin' ya" and others are quite Irish. It made the characters feel more real.

What's the delay on a 3rd / 4th season?

still a fan of show but found it hard to be motivated to watch it, only catching up the last few now.

did Abigail Thackery's girlfriend
    purposefully kill herself
    ?

Clive Owen said he only signed up to 2 seasons, sounds like he wants to get back to movies

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

ixoy wrote: »
    Excellent season and a great finale. Really love the choice of music here and the decision to go with an electronic synth score.

Lots of great characters but I think Cleary is a stand out and his romance story line was genuinely sweet.

Agree totally with this. He turned out to be one of the more enjoyable characters on the show, a real diamond in the rough type. I thought the confession scene was great too.

Loved the music used throughout as well. Don't know if there will be another season though, fingers crossed there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

still a fan of show but found it hard to be motivated to watch it, only catching up the last few now.

did Abigail Thackery's girlfriend
    purposefully kill herself
    ?

Clive Owen said he only signed up to 2 seasons, sounds like he wants to get back to movies

I've only started to watch The Knick in the last week and I'm hooked! Clive Owen's
    character was killed off (and I haven't even gotten to the end of Season 1 yet and discovered that somewhere online). According to Soderbergh it was always planned that Thackery would only be in it for 2 seasons. Killing off a major character is something he intends to do more than once. Apparently he believes it keeps things fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So I finished it last night. The last two episodes were fantastic. I like how Lucy's Dad got his just rewards after all:).
    Gallinger is a hateful man. Knowing how the next 30/40 years of Eurpoean history unfold his new science movement is ironic isn't it?
    I have to say that having watched the programme I am now a fan of Clive Owen. I didn't think too much of him before hand but I do think he played the part of Dr. John Thackery really well in this.

Has Series 3 been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Any news on season 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Finally got around to season 2, wonderful stuff!

Such a pity there will be no more, but it does wrap it up as a show quite well with the ending.

A must see. Just don't watch it after dinner or with snacks :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement