Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

The Knick (Steven Soderbergh) [Cinemax]

• 23-02-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74,936 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eve Hewson is to star opposite Clive Owen in Oscar-winning director Steven Soderbergh's new, 10-part series for Cinemax, The Knick.
    Deadline.com, which broke the news of Hewson's casting, says the series is set in New York's Knickerbocker Hospital in 1900 as staff strive to break new ground in medicine.
    Hewson, the daughter of Bono and Ali Hewson, will play Lucy, described as "a young, naive nurse from the South" who comes to New York for adventure.
    The cast also includes Michael Angarano, Andre Holland and Juliet Rylance, with Soderbergh directing all 10 episodes.
    Production is due to begin in New York in late September.

Clive Owen stars as a Dr John W Thackery, surgeon at the hospital. The Knick also features Steve Garfanti, Andre Holland, Juliet Rylance, Chris Sullivan and Jeremy Bobb.
    No announcement on the premiere date has been made but the series will air 10 episodes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,883 ✭✭✭✭ My name is URL

Calling that video a 'tease' is really stretching it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭ squonk

"Comes to New York for adventure...". That doesn't sound marvellous to be honest. I'll give it a chance though. The last thing I saw She-Bono Jr. in was 'This Must Be The Place' which was a complete pile of ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74,936 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

Sky Atlantic has acquired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭ takamichinoku

Retirement going well for Soderbergh, so?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 javagal

Just watched this. Loved it, something I will definitely get into.

entertaining but not too engaging :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭ Dont be at yourself

Thought it was very good too. Definitely has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭ expectationlost

80's soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭ Burgo

80's soundtrack

Yeah not sure how I feel about the snyth as of yet, thought they would have gone for something more classical.

episode 2, what a contrast between Dr. Thackery & Dr. Edwards :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭ PhiloCypher

Really enjoying this anachronistic soundtrack and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 Dermighty

The soundtrack is more like a the Mass Effect soundtrack than anything else, very much enjoying the show, Clive Owen is excellent in nearly everything he is in in my opinion.

episode 4, Dr Thackery seemed to a little recognize Dr Edwards talent but due to his racist attitudes, he might take a longer time to appreciate & accept Dr Edwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 Dermighty

I don't even know if thackery is racist, I think he likes the status quo and having a black doctor would entail dealing with people who are racist and that is probably more work than thackery is willing to put in.

I don't think he has anything against Edwards except he couldn't be arsed dealing with having someone that rocks the boat for patients.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I don't even know if thackery is racist, I think he likes the status quo and having a black doctor would entail dealing with people who are racist and that is probably more work than thackery is willing to put in.

I don't think he has anything against Edwards except he couldn't be arsed dealing with having someone that rocks the boat for patients.

from the introduction knowing Dr Edwards is a black, he has been hurling remarks on him & disallowed him to perform op , if this is not racist i don't know what to say ;
    despite that Dr Thackery values talent & he started to recognize & impress by Dr Edwards from episode 4 & 5, his attitudes toward him only begin to change after the op in episode 4 & even choice him to perform with him in episode 5 though he can always get his subordinates & the claim of shortage of staff just an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭ expectationlost

thackery wants a ride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭ Thundercats Ho

5 episodes in and I think it's excellent.
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a buzz around it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭ the_syco

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah not sure how I feel about the snyth as of yet, thought they would have gone for something more classical.
    Found it goes well with the drugs he took?

14 minutes in, and it grabbed me. Liked the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 74,936 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

It starts on Sky Atlantic on Thursday October 16th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭ sweetie

great show, some great acting Hewson, the guy who plays Cleary, Owen. And the music is amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 JohnDaniels

Enjoying this alot after watching the first 5/6 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ TomoBhoy

sweetie wrote: »
    great show, some great acting Hewson, the guy who plays Cleary, Owen. And the music is amazing...

Just watched the first episode on the sky player and I absolutely loved the music,bit of a Clive Owen fan too so that helps, can't wait for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭ Dont be at yourself

Just finished watching the first season. Liked it a lot. The ending
    was pretty bleak for just about every character... Will be interesting to see how season 2 plays out, with the unwanted marriage, the moving of the hospital, and Thack's 'recovery'.

Advertisement