Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Amataratsu

Dream Theater = Self Indulgent Sh!te of the highest order. Look at me! Look how many complicated riffs and timing changes I can fit into every song?

Technical playing and good song writing aren't mutually exclusive.

Dream Theatre themselves used to write cracking songs and I think it was the influence of Kevin Moore. The last thing really good they put out was "A Change Of Seasons", which was largely written when he was still in the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

iamthestig wrote: »
    Dunno if this is unpopular or not but, Jason Newstead was the best bassist for Metallica, not Rob

Cliff? Nobody? :eek:
    Amataratsu wrote: »
    Technical playing and good song writing aren't mutually exclusive.

Dream Theatre themselves used to write cracking songs and I think it was the influence of Kevin Moore. The last thing really good they put out was "A Change Of Seasons", which was largely written when he was still in the band.

I'm not so sure it was the loss of Kevin Moore that did it, since A Change of Seasons, they'd had some cracking music with Rudess (and Sherinian). Metropolis, Train of Thought, Six Degrees, and even Falling into Infinity had it's moments. I think more of it has to do with the band themselves getting stale, their creativity as a whole going south.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Links234 wrote: »
    Cliff? Nobody? :eek:

Nope. Overrated ta fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Dunno if this is unpopular or not but, Jason Newstead was the best bassist for Metallica, not Rob
    I agree with this. Jason was too good for Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

It does seem very unfair that Jason treated like crap just because he was Cliff's replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Here's mine: Falling Into Infinity is the best DT album, lovely songwiting... and after Scenes From A Memory (which was a close second) they went downhill.

I blame Rudess. He clicked with them in LTE but not DT, I think because in DT he adopted the role of a second lead rather than the role Moore and Sherinian filled and between himself and Petrucci they screwed the whole balance up and it turned into a widdlefest.

I feel like the only one who actually likes the newer DT stuff. Like I think Systematic Chaos, Black Clouds and Dramatic Turn of Events were great albums. I struggle to find a better masterpiece than Nightmare to Remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Jason was a fantastic bassist in Metallica very unlucky that you can't hear him on AJFA ;) Cliff was a phenomenal bass player love the little things that he did...little run on The Four Horsemen, actually the bit he does in the middle of it is great too. Lovely tight grooves. The Call of Ktulu is another that stands out. Love the volume swells he does on MOP album at the start of some of the songs, just the little details. For me Orion is his masterpiece very Baroque in parts and then the solo with the harmony is beautiful. Any band would have suffered losing him they were blessed to get Jason and dickheads for the way they treated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just don't like Motorhead. I'm not going to be an idiot and say they're crap, cause I can see why people would like them, I just do not like their stuff. Mainly the vocals.

Killed By Death is a tune, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Grayditch wrote: »
    I just don't like Motorhead. I'm not going to be an idiot and say they're crap, cause I can see why people would like them, I just do not like their stuff. Mainly the vocals.

Killed By Death is a tune, I guess.

I am not religious but I will say a prayer for you, you lost, confused soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kashmir is a far superior song to Stairway To Heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kashmir is a far superior song to Stairway To Heaven

Fúckin' A. What a riff. Nothing beats tearing down the motorway, windows down, sunglasses on and Kashmir blasting from the stereo. Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Here's another one, recently listened to Motley Crue's self titled album, and damn I wish Motley had kept John Corabi on as lead singer instead of caving into the $$$$ and bringing Vince Neil back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Here's another one, recently listened to Motley Crue's self titled album, and damn I wish Motley had kept John Corabi on as lead singer instead of caving into the $$$$ and bringing Vince Neil back.

Not sure thats unpopular especially live Vince has held them back,although good that album wasn't Motley Crue though their sound changed drastically well I think its fair to say they changed genre and big mistake to tag it as Motley as I reckon they would've a grabbed a different audience. Corabi played to small crowds in Ireland not so long ago.

Japan has the best metal in recent years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

I hate Pantera and I really hate Phil Anselmo

Now that's an unpopular opinion for ye lol

Anselmo is a muppet. Awful, misogynistic lyrics, such hard-man nonsense. He's a racist piece of ****e as well.

So it's annoying that I enjoy a lot of the music he's involved in. First two Down albums are quality and Pantera have some deadly stuff. Don't listen to em much anymore, but that's probably how I wound up getting into Crowbar, Eyehategod and subsequently lots of other stoner, sludge and doomy stuff. So I have Pantera to thank for that, at least a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Is Mastodon genuinely that good? Granted they have some good tunes but mostly it's quite boring/sludgy and a bit too scenester, ie cool/hip to like so you can score points with musical 'afficianados.' Obviously people who like their music, more power to them, but I listened to some of their albums and to be quite honest it's monotonous, boring, repetitive, sludgy, dreary and not as progressive as they're made out to be, it's fairly straightfoward, there aren't many dynamic changes, it's just chug, chug, chug, vocals wailing slightly down in the mix with guitars predominating, chugging along, maybe some guitar harmonies or a token solo, chug, swirl, chug, heavy bass frequencies etc. They're kind of like Tool, a band that is also cool to like but not as great as they're supposed to be.

Btw, Pantera have some great tunes, but Phil Anselmo seems a bit racist, even though he says he's not, I guess he leans in the right direction but has some issues over race.

I definitely don't like Mastodon as much as I used to. They were a great band on their first 3 albums but I'm not particularly fond of the path they've wandered down since then.

I also think that their guitar solos on their more recent albums are completely pointless (in fact I generally think that 95% of guitar solos are completely pointless), they're just thrown in there for the sake of having a guitar solo.

I know bands evolve, sometimes for better and sometimes not, but I certainly miss the Mastodon that blew my mind and ears with Leviathan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I never listen to Pantera. I like load of their songs, mainly for the guitar work and I maybe will have a song on a playlist for the gym, but I literally have no interest in listening to them outside of that.

I think it's down to the Pantera fans who think that metal started and stopped with Pantera just ruining them for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What are the big accusations that are routinely flung at, or in the general direction of, glam metal? Well, right off the top of my head:

-They were so commercial
    -They were like clones of each other
    -They followed a tried and true formula
    -The scene became so clogged and bloated by the end of their era with all these "Crue-lite"/"Ratt-lite"/"Poison-lite" bands
    -The look was stupid, overblown and silly
    -They sang about nothing but fast cars, faster women, drugs and sex
    -They destroyed heavy metal

Well... playing Devil's Advocate a bit here...

Grunge, and all derivatives thereof, are credited with saving metal/rock, slaying the bloated beast of glam metal and tearing apart all of the accusations above.

However, I believe that grunge was just as guilty of, if not more guilty, of all of the above as the glam bands were. They just had a sense of "credibility" to them that the glam bands did not, so they got away with it more.

They Were So Commercial

On the charge of being so commercial. For sure, the glam metal bands were MTV darlings, bothered the Billboard charts and sold squillions of albums. But, didn't the grunge bands do exactly the same in the early 1990's? Didn't bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and so on do the exact same thing? They clogged MTV with their "introspective" and "meaningful" music videos, had albums all over the Billboard charts and their albums sold. And sold. AND SOLD. In terms of commercial success and so-called "selling out", grunge were just as guilty as the glam bands of the same levels of success, if not exceeding those success levels of the 1980's.

They Were Like Clones Of Each Other

For sure, the glamsters all took influence from early bands such as the New York Dolls, Van Halen, The Sweet, Angel and so on. Early glam metal bands such as Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken, Quiet Riot and so on all provided a solid template of an image. Poison, Warrant, Slaughter, Cinderella and so on took that image and "cloned" the original. In both image and sound.

However, the same can be very much said for most, if not all, of the grunge bands. They took influence from earlier punk and alternative bands. They then took the image/sound that was laid down there and provided a solid template for what this genre should be like. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, etc. all provided the "first wave" image and sound. Following on from them, came Stone Temple Pilots, Hole, Tad, Creed, Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd, Audioslave, Staind, etc. These bands were different, but at the same time incredible similar to what went before. A bit tarted up, a bit gruffer, but one and the same. Exactly how the first wave of glam metal influenced a legion of "clones". Grunge was absolutely the same. Grunge bands all had similar sounds, image and subject matter. Generally speaking. The same as the glam bands had... generally speaking.

They Followed A Tried And True Formula

By the end of the reign of Glam Metal, the bands were following a formula that was a sure key to success. It was copy and paste, cut and dried, that was it. Nothing more, nothing less. Success in metal in the 1980's was measured by how outrageous the look was, how close to the bubblegum formula the music was and by how powerful the power ballad was.

By the time Grunge finally started to disappear up its own arse, the same can be argued about the plethora of bands that populated the grunge scene. Sing in a "yarl" style (popularised by Eddie Vedder and Layne Staley), wear beat-down flannel shirts, be edgy but unthreatening (Creed) and make sure you sing about your depressing childhood or about something cathartic and pure.

The formula was there, but one appeared to be purer and more honest than the other. But was it really?

The scene became so clogged and bloated by the end of their era with all these "Crue-lite"/"Ratt-lite"/"Poison-lite" bands

Of course, there is nothing more true than this. By the end of the 1980's, the biggest bands of the glam era had spawned dozens (if not hundreds) of imitators, all hoping to become the next big thing in the metal scene. Nothing was really "new", it was all the same, just being recycled and done in a slightly different way. This led to so many bands all looking and sounding the same.

But the same can, once again, be said of the grunge-era. By the time Kurt Cobain died, the amount of bands who were desperately trying to break big by aping the big boys of grunge was painful. The scene was clogged to the brim with guys trying to make it big by wailing about their unhappy childhood, wearing flannel and by trying to write songs like Kurt/Eddie/Layne.

Unfortunately, they were the exact same as the lite-imitators of the previous generation; bringing nothing new to the table, being the same and just recycling a successful formula and hoping to break it big. There was no difference, but it was just that grunge had a much shorter reign at the top than glam did, so the imitators were not as noticeable as glam's were.

The look was stupid, overblown and silly

Nobody can argue with this, especially towards the end of the 1980's when even older guard metal bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Whitesnake tarted up their image to varying degrees and either completely jumped on the bandwagon or just went a little towards that image/sound.

But the look of the spandex, leather, make-up, hairspray, flashy colours and teased out hair is almost synonymous with the 1980's nowadays. It is the stereotypical image of 1980's heavy metal, not just glam metal.

It was, at first, avant garde and new. But it quickly descended into a farce as some bands ended up looking so feminine and overblown that it was just begging to be put down.

However, in an effort to extremely distance themselves from this androgynous yet uber-hetero image, the grunge bands went overboard and bordered on parody of themselves with their own image.

Out went everything glam, in came the most grimy, dirty, bland clothing you could imagine. In fact, so desperate were these bands to distance themselves, it went beyond silly. It's just that their silliness was harder to identify. It wasn't hard to spot glam metal's silliness; high heels and permed hair on a bloke tend to do that. But a bloke wearing beat up hoodies, t-shirts, ripped jeans and dirty runners was a lot harder to spot. But it was constant. They put so much effort into appearing "grunge", that it became sad. Even sadder than a bloke wearing make up and spandex. They put so much effort into not putting effort in that it became ridiculous.

Kurt Cobain even resorted to wearing a dress onstage. And so ashamed were AIC of their former glam roots, they refuted it for a while until photos emerged...

They sang about nothing but fast cars, faster women, drugs and sex

For sure, glam metal was bonehead music. They never were into "deep" subjects. They never challenged serious issues, they never engaged in deep or meaningful songwriting. They wrote songs that were fun, good times and all about the carnal things in life that brought pleasure. Deep, it was not. Fun, it was in spades!

Grunge, for sure, was deep. It sang about serious issues. It never sang about fast cars, fast women, drugs (in a fun way) or sex (in a fun way).

It was never about fun. So much so, that grunge's songs were so much about the same as the glam songs were. Instead of fast cars, faster women, drugs and sex, grunge gave us unhappy childhoods, angst, depression, drugs (in a bad way), sexual abuse, social alienation, apathy, confinement and so on. All the same territory re-trod, over and over again.

But, because this stuff was "deep" and "meaningful", grunge got away with it. Glam, however, was flippant, stupid and puerile because of its subject matter. No doubt about which genre was more mature. But surely, if we're going to slam one genre for singing constantly about similar subject matter, shouldn't the other genre get slammed for doing just the same???

They destroyed heavy metal

This is the big one, the daddy of them all. Glam metal has long been accused of killing heavy metal by some critics and fans. Bull. Glam, for all its faults and foibles, brought metal to the mainstream and made it more popular than it had ever been.

And even if glam was in danger of killing the true, beating heart of heavy metal, bands from the thrash genre were there to keep the "true faith" going. Add in the older guard bands such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and so on to keep the metal heart ticking over, whether glam was there or not.

However, I believe that destroying/killing heavy metal can be laid almost squarely at the door of grunge. Fair enough, glam arguably did need to slow down a bit, but killing it totally? A bit much. Grunge was the antithesis of glam and grunge swallowed glam up and spat it out.

But grunge did so much more than that. Not only did it succeed in slaying its arch-nemesis, but in the process, the collateral damage was also staggering. Literally any band with metal chops or a "traditional" heavy metal sound, were suddenly found wanting in the 1990's. Virtually no band who had been popular pre-1991 in the metal genre survived unscathed. The only ones you could argue would be Bon Jovi and Metallica who truly remained as popular as they had been. Apart from that, every single other metal band (glam or not) suddenly found a chill wind blowing around their leather clad-crotches. The audiences evaporated, charmed by the sludgy sounds from Seattle.

Fair enough, metal reorganised and some bands came back and things levelled out again following grunge, but it was never the same. The Golden Age of Heavy Metal was gone, and it could never come back. Sure, the bands have reformed or had key members return (see: Motley Crue, Ratt, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dokken, etc.), but they no longer are as fun. It's just a little too nostalgic and too much time has passed. We were shown how the magician did his tricks by the grunge bands, and we are now no longer as impressed.

Glam metal killing heavy metal? Nah, not a chance. Grunge did that. Well, almost. Metal, the traditional metal, was dealt a blow from which it is still recovering. Grunge possibly only meant to take out glam, but it nearly decapitated the whole genre while it was at it. Thankfully, it's hard to keep a good man down, and many bands have returned to the fold. But it is not the same. Grunge disfigured a beauty queen.

The rantings of a bitter glam metal fan? For sure!!! But some home truths contained therein? Quite possibly...

Unpopular??? I'm just waiting for the backlash now!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Eh, Tad were one of the original grunge bands. They toured regularly with Nirvana in the late 80's and were certainly not clones who followed in their wake. I wouldn't be the biggest grunge fan but I certainly find the lyrical subject matter more relatable than glam metal. Although glam metal was a bit of fun, that's all it was really, just throwaway guilty-pleasure music.

As for grunge killing traditional heavy metal? Trad metal had already exhausted itself and become out-dated long before grunge. Even thrash metal had reached the end of its life by the early 90's. By the time of grunge, metal had evolved into black metal and death metal and these genres kept metal evolving through the 90's and received attention from mainstream media. I think metal was in good shape throughout the 90's and 00's regardless of genres like grunge and nu-metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQk3DC3gL0&list=PLDA2DE499516564FC

Sure there he is, bein a sap. And I normally don't like dissing a bands entire fan base as a means of criticising the group, the fans are all individuals of course, but listening to gob****es goin "tell it like it is, brother" makes that stance difficult :p

And yeah, Mastodon haven't excited me much since Leviathan. They're definitely the commercial end of sludge (not necessarily an objective criticism, just not to my taste). Still some daycent tunes, and the "epicness" of their newer stuff is kind of fun.

I definitely don't like Mastodon as much as I used to. They were a great band on their first 3 albums but I'm not particularly fond of the path they've wandered down since then.

I also think that their guitar solos on their more recent albums are completely pointless (in fact I generally think that 95% of guitar solos are completely pointless), they're just thrown in there for the sake of having a guitar solo.

I know bands evolve, sometimes for better and sometimes not, but I certainly miss the Mastodon that blew my mind and ears with Leviathan.

Crack The Skye is a quality album in fairness. As is the new one and the Hunter was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Ah lads, IMHO, Pantera were the best metal band of the 90's, followed closely by Sepultura. Anselmo is what he is, that's what makes him believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I think Phil comes across great in this:

DazMarz wrote: »
    The rantings of a bitter glam metal fan? For sure!!! But some home truths contained therein? Quite possibly...

I'm not hugely familiar with glam at all, but your post was a great read! ;)

But this along with the Pantera discussion is funny, because as well know they used to be glam themselves:

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,200 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

DazMarz wrote: »
    Glam metal killing heavy metal? Nah, not a chance. Grunge did that. Well, almost. Metal, the traditional metal, was dealt a blow from which it is still recovering. Grunge possibly only meant to take out glam, but it nearly decapitated the whole genre while it was at it. Thankfully, it's hard to keep a good man down, and many bands have returned to the fold. But it is not the same. Grunge disfigured a beauty queen.

I don't think "grunge" meant to take out anything. A catchy riff in Smells Like Teen Spirit around the breaking of MTV made it look that way, it was the "in" thing at the time. Happens all the time sure!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Time to re-boot this thread

Exile On Main St. is a vastly overrated album.

Phil Rudd is one of the best drummers around, he doesn't get any recognition because he's not a show off.

Stone Gods were way better than The Darkness and Dan Hawkins is an idiot for killing them off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Time to re-boot this thread

Exile On Main St. is a vastly overrated album.

Phil Rudd is one of the best drummers around, he doesn't get any recognition because he's not a show off.

Stone Gods were way better than The Darkness and Dan Hawkins is an idiot for killing them off completely.

For me, the thread was pretty much won by the guy who said Death Magnetic was better than all other Metallica albums! Hard to motivate yourself to read the thread again knowing it's unlikely to be topped. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I never got massively in to Grunge, but I liked some bands associated with Grunge, particularly Pearl Jam. With "Ten" they struck me as just a rock band, trying to make the best music they could with the resources and experience available to them, and I thought the results were "honest" music.

I mean, I want bands to do their own thing, to be ambitious, to stick their noses in to areas they're not "supposed" to go. I don't see "pretentious" as a bad thing, when it comes to music. If you try something, and it fails ... well, then we've all learned something in the process. Unfortunately, this "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach doesn't jibe with the need to get paid ...

My unpopular Metal opinion? If you're going to sing, I want to understand the words you're singing. I have no time for "vocalists" who try to sound like animals. If you're just going to roar or grunt in to the mic, I'd rather you just shut up altogether. That's my opinion.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement