Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Judas Priest - emmm they're not very good. Never understood their popularity / legendary status.

Agreed. Checked them out recently for the first time...biggest load of toss I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Everlong1

U2 rock and Bono is cool.

You might as well close this thread down now as I can't see anyone topping that for an unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Dream Theater were right in carrying on without Mike Portnoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Dream Theater = Self Indulgent Sh!te of the highest order. Look at me! Look how many complicated riffs and timing changes I can fit into every song?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Agreed. They can now widdle on with Mike Mangini while Mike Portnoy is rocking it with The Winery Dogs

• Advertisement

Agreed. They can now widdle on with Mike Mangini while Mike Portnoy is rocking it with The Winery Dogs

Aye, Dream Theater needed the shot of new blood in the band, no offence to Mike Portnoy - a brilliant drummer......... Wasn't really keen on Portnoy's side projects (The man has so many, how in god's name has he not burnt out yet). But The Winery Dogs are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Dream Theater are Rush with all the fun sucked out.
    Dave Mustaine can't f*cking sing
    Panic at the Disco were underrated
    Death Magnetic, Load and Reload had some great songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

My really unpopular opinion. I prefer Death Magnetic to all other Metallica albums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

My really unpopular opinion. I prefer Death Magnetic to all other Metallica albums

Think that one will be hard to beat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I like the new Guns N Roses line up and don't care if the original GNR line up ever get back together

• Advertisement

I like the new Guns N Roses line up and don't care if the original GNR line up ever get back together

The current NuGN'R or the band Axl assembled in late 97 after the original band collapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Somnus wrote: »
    Think that one will be hard to beat :D

Very hard to beat... ..oh wait one second

...........yes we have a winner!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NoFx's The Decline is a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Sunbather itself is probably the best death metal song in years. Absolutely amazing album.

wha? this is an insult to death metal!

Angron wrote: »
    Grindcore is much, much better than prog metal.

I really can't see how these two can be compared. I love grindcore A LOT but "prog metal" is one of those genres that spans a huge amount of styles (holding true to its nature) and the sound differs wildly from the popular polished/technical stuff to the more underground and obscure stuff.

I also put a curse on everyone who disses Tool and Mastodon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

NoFx's The Decline is a masterpiece

Well behind in the que for most unpopular opinion anyway id say plenty would agree with that me being one for a start :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dream Theater = Self Indulgent Sh!te of the highest order. Look at me! Look how many complicated riffs and timing changes I can fit into every song?

Dream Theater were actually a pretty amazing band, they've just disappeared up their own arses years ago.

I was actually discussing them with a friend at the weekend, and both of us like the band, but we agreed that there's just something annoying about their fans. Sometimes I get **** for saying it, but Train of Thought really was their last good album, and that James LaBrie's solo work has been better than anything Dream Theater have done in years. But their fans seem to eat up everything they've been doing in the last few years, so it's obviously working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

I also put a curse on everyone who disses Tool and Mastodon.

:D Your username says it all! Tool are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Whatsgonewrong

I hate Pantera and I really hate Phil Anselmo

Now that's an unpopular opinion for ye lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I hate Pantera and I really hate Phil Anselmo

Now that's an unpopular opinion for ye lol

Not where I'm concerned. Stop, start, over produced, growling, dubbed rubbish.

No flow to them at all.

• Advertisement

Dave Mustaine is a better guitar player than Kirk Hammett

Even though Metallica are my favourite band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Dave Mustaine is a better guitar player than Kirk Hammett

Even though Metallica are my favourite band
    Metallica are my favourite band too but its widely regarded that this is the case, its actually more unpopular to think Hammetts better than Mustaine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

wha? this is an insult to death metal!

Ah tbf it's a smashing tune. I've not too much in the way of better death metal in a good while.

Ah tbf it's a smashing tune. I've not too much in the way of better death metal in a good while.

I wasn't so much jabbing at their quality, just that Deafheaven are probably as far away from death metal as can be, and don't have any death metal qualities.

They dance about just outside the boundaries of black metal, for sure, though I myself would be in the camp who think they're an overrated underwhelming band who play post rock really fast with shrieking vocals.

Now I'm jabbing :P

(Oh, and imo death metal is currently in the healthiest state it's been in for years!)

I wasn't so much jabbing at their quality, just that Deafheaven are probably as far away from death metal as can be, and don't have any death metal qualities.

They dance about just outside the boundaries of black metal, for sure, though I myself would be in the camp who think they're an overrated underwhelming band who play post rock really fast with shrieking vocals.

Now I'm jabbing :P

(Oh, and imo death metal is currently in the healthiest state it's been in for years!)

Ha I agree with the last sentence alright, Cannibal Corpse's last album actually was a bit of a surprise.

However there was just something about Sunbather, immense album. There is actually melody under the black metal. ( I meant to say black metal initially, always get them confused)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

( I meant to say black metal initially, always get them confused)

How do you manage to get those confused? Death Metal is the one with fast double bass drumming, distorted guitars and raspy guttural vocals, and Black Metal is the one with fast double bass drumming, distorted guitars and raspy guttural vocals. Simple. :pac:

Links234 wrote: »
    How do you manage to get those confused? Death Metal is the one with fast double bass drumming, distorted guitars and raspy guttural vocals, and Black Metal is the one with fast double bass drumming, distorted guitars and raspy guttural vocals. Simple. :pac:

Well, when you put it that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

Dunno if this is unpopular or not but, Jason Newstead was the best bassist for Metallica, not Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Not unpopular at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

iamthestig wrote: »
    Dunno if this is unpopular or not but, Jason Newstead was the best bassist for Metallica, not Rob

Without a doubt

Advertisement