Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Slayers music bores the living $hit out me I walked out on them at a festival after 4 songs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm not hugely familiar with glam at all, but your post was a great read! ;)

But this along with the Pantera discussion is funny, because as well know they used to be glam themselves:

original.jpg

The album "Power Metal" is in my opinion, one of their best albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Pyr0 wrote: »
    The album "Power Metal" is in my opinion, one of their best albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

bnt wrote: »
    My unpopular Metal opinion? If you're going to sing, I want to understand the words you're singing. I have no time for "vocalists" who try to sound like animals. If you're just going to roar or grunt in to the mic, I'd rather you just shut up altogether. That's my opinion.
    But they're not trying to sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

People would have said in the past that unclean/distorted guitars were just noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

But they're not trying to sing.
    I have no trouble believing that - which is why I called them "vocalists" rather than "singers". :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I have no trouble believing that - which is why I called them "vocalists" rather than "singers". :pac:
    Fair enough.

Most of the time I don't care about lyrics, the music takes priority over lyrics for me. A lot of artists I listen to you can barely make out the lyrics anyway. I think it's a bit shallow if you can only rely on lyrics to feel emotions from music rather than feel emotions from the music itself. I also find it more interesting when a lack of clarity over lyrics leaves a song open to interpretation.

I think that growling and screaming works perfectly in certain contexts. There's no right or wrong way to do vocals, there's just different approaches to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think it's a bit shallow if you can only rely on lyrics to feel emotions from music rather than feel emotions from the music itself.
    Where did that come from? It certainly doesn't relate to anything I said. Some of my favourite music is instrumental.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Where did that come from? It certainly doesn't relate to anything I said. Some of my favourite music is instrumental.
    It's not directly related to what you just said. It's just a point I made in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Fair enough.

Most of the time I don't care about lyrics, the music takes priority over lyrics for me. A lot of artists I listen to you can barely make out the lyrics anyway. I think it's a bit shallow if you can only rely on lyrics to feel emotions from music rather than feel emotions from the music itself. I also find it more interesting when a lack of clarity over lyrics leaves a song open to interpretation.

I think that growling and screaming works perfectly in certain contexts. There's no right or wrong way to do vocals, there's just different approaches to it.

I'd be the opposite. I find a lot more emotion in a song from it's lyrics rather than the music. Don't see how that makes me shallow and I'd say it's more shallow to like a meaningless song just because it has a catchy tune or riff. I get bored of songs without meaning fairly fast unless the music is top notch. Talented musicians are a dime a dozen but it takes a special talent to write a memorable song lyrically.

Exception would be metal where lyrics are generally meaningless filler but I still love it because of the music. It can get pretty boring and repetitive though if the music has no emotion in it, which happens a lot given the amount of generic metal bands around. Example for me would be if you compare Deftones vrs any glam rock/metal band. Both have filler lyrics based on an overriding idea but Deftones create an atmosphere and an emotion though the music, glam rock doesn't and is just crap. A lot of other bands fall into this category for me as well if they have meaningless lyrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

It should also be noted that in the better growling/grunting/screaming bands that for the full enveloping listening experience, one would be expected to read the lyric booklet while listening to the album. Lyrically, there's a lot going on with some of these bands.

Powerful lyrics coupled with powerful, affecting music is a tour de force of music listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

RichFTW wrote: »
    For me, the thread was pretty much won by the guy who said Death Magnetic was better than all other Metallica albums! Hard to motivate yourself to read the thread again knowing it's unlikely to be topped. :pac:

I stand by that opinion, its my personal favourite anyway

I think that saying "I like growly vocals" would be a more genuinely unpopular opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fade to Black is my favourite Metallica song.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

NufcNavan wrote: »

I'd probably have it my top 5 myself

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

NufcNavan wrote: »

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I don't miss Nick Oliveri one bit. The current QOTSA line up is absolutely fantastic and I hope it remains the way it currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE KISS

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE KISS
    While I largely don't care about their music, I loathe Simmons.

I saw Kiss live in the O2 and they were fantastic, they really put on an amazing show. Ignoring Gene Simmons, it's no shock why they've been a big deal for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Links234 wrote: »
    I saw Kiss live in the O2 and they were fantastic, they really put on an amazing show. Ignoring Gene Simmons, it's no shock why they've been a big deal for so long.

Not a Kiss fan in the slightest but a friend had a spare ticket so I went along to that gig and it was an incredible spectacle. Easily one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Exactly, I never really listened to them much before that gig, but a friend suggested we go to it and they were amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That gig was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I am a Kiss fan, and that was a brilliant gig. Was like a 5 year old on christmas eve for the month up to it and it didn't disappoint.

However, I saw RATM shortly afterwards and thought they were only average

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Never Say Die is one of Sabbath's greatest albums

*ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never Say Die is one of Sabbath's greatest albums

*ducks*

I wouldn't agree but I think it's underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pantera's cover of Planet Caravan is better than the original

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Black Album sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Black Album sucks.

I think so too.

Also, Styper were a good band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The Black Album sucks.
    That's a widely held view, hardly an unpopular opinion.

Advertisement