Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Given the recent talk of a Pantera reunion with Zakk Wylde handling guitar duties.............. I for one wouldn't like to see a reunion happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Given the recent talk of a Pantera reunion with Zakk Wylde handling guitar duties.............. I for one wouldn't like to see a reunion happen.

Don't think that is an unpopular opinion as the only one who seems to disagree is Vinnie Paul

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I hadn't heard of that, but as I'm not really a Pantera fan I'm more indifferent to that one.

Actually, kinda related to that; Dimebag is overrated due to his death. He was good, sure, but I never thought he was as great as people made him out to be.

Don't think that is an unpopular opinion as the only one who seems to disagree is Vinnie Paul

In a way, i think Vinnie Paul is right to shoot down the idea of a reunion.

Angron wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of that, but as I'm not really a Pantera fan I'm more indifferent to that one.

Well if ya google Pantera reunion, it throws up a load of links containing said rumour, Angron Y U NO LIKE PANTERA?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well if ya google Pantera reunion, it throws up a load of links containing said rumour, Angron Y U NO LIKE PANTERA?
    Edited my post to give part of the reason :P I'm also not a massive fan of groove metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Actually, kinda related to that; Dimebag is overrated due to his death. He was good, sure, but I never thought he was as great as people made him out to be.

Just no!

Mike Portnoy originally wanted Dimebag instead of John Petrucci to play guitar in liquid tension experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Tension_Experiment

Pertrucci is regarded as one of the most technically competent guitarists around - I'm not a massive fan of his playing but you can hardly deny that he's good.
    So it stands to reason that if Portnoy wanted Dimebag over him there must be some truth to the fact that Dimebag was pretty damn good.

Petrucci is still alive so does that lend any weight to people opinion of him?

KeithTS wrote: »
    Just no!

Mike Portnoy originally wanted Dimebag instead of John Petrucci to play guitar in liquid tension experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_Tension_Experiment

Pertrucci is regarded as one of the most technically competent guitarists around - I'm not a massive fan of his playing but you can hardly deny that he's good.
    So it stands to reason that if Portnoy wanted Dimebag over him there must be some truth to the fact that Dimebag was pretty damn good.

Petrucci is still alive so does that lend any weight to people opinion of him?
    Hence it being unpopular. I think he's overrated, and you can throw information about Petrucci at me but it's not gonna change what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

you can throw information about Petrucci at me but it's not gonna change what I think.

John Petrucci hates corn on the cob. Dimebag loved it.

Changed your mind yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

At that level, saying X guitarist is better than Y guitarist is ridiculous. While Dimebag might not have quite as high a level of technical proficiency as Petrucci, he has a completely different style and sound. And it's nothing to do with recording/production of their respective back catalogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Chinese Democracy - Despite the history, & money poured into it & the revolving door of members post original line up, isn't a bad album, once you've put bias aside.

The production is superb although I tried listening a couple of times and it just had no hook that kept me listening

nelly17 wrote: »
    The production is superb although I tried listening a couple of times and it just had no hook that kept me listening

The album is a bit overcooked in terms on production (the phrase too many cooks come to mind), I mean 5 guitar players on the title track alone, when the album was being made, Axl should've let Buckethead & Robin handle guitar duties, fair enough line up changes happened, i think the guitar players for Axl's GN'R should've been Bumblefoot, Richard Fortus, and Robin Finck

Richard replaced Paul Huge, & Bumblefoot replaced Buckethead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Slash Myles & co would only be legend if they didn't bother with any Guns N Roses stuff at their O2 gig :):):):)

Slash Myles & co would only be legend if they didn't bother with any Guns N Roses stuff at their O2 gig :):):):)

Surely you'd leave Welcome To The Jungle & Paradise City as the encore songs to send the crowd home happy.

Would love it if Slash dropped Sweet Child, but that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Didn't Dave Mustaine want Dimebag in Megadeth?Says a lot about how good he was.

Surely you'd leave Welcome To The Jungle & Paradise City as the encore songs to send the crowd home happy.

Would love it if Slash dropped Sweet Child, but that won't happen.

But isn't what would make it so unpopular, no Guns songs, how would they survive? Encore: Ghost,Rise Today :D:D

bradlente wrote: »
    Didn't Dave Mustaine want Dimebag in Megadeth?Says a lot about how good he was.

Nope I think you're thinkin of Kerry King who was gonna be on the books before they recorded their debut. Regarding Dimebag that solo in "Floods" I could listen to all day long and always thought it should've lasted longer (doubt thats too unpopular though)

Nope I think you're thinkin of Kerry King who was gonna be on the books before they recorded their debut. Regarding Dimebag that solo in "Floods" I could listen to all day long and always thought it should've lasted longer (doubt thats too unpopular though)

"Shortly before singer Phil Anselmo joined Pantera, Abbott was invited by Dave Mustaine to join Megadeth. Abbott was willing to join, but on the condition that Mustaine also hired his brother Vinnie on drums. As Mustaine had already hired drummer Nick Menza, Abbott stayed with Pantera."

Mustaine covers it in his book and Vinnie Paul has mentioned it in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

"Shortly before singer Phil Anselmo joined Pantera, Abbott was invited by Dave Mustaine to join Megadeth. Abbott was willing to join, but on the condition that Mustaine also hired his brother Vinnie on drums. As Mustaine had already hired drummer Nick Menza, Abbott stayed with Pantera."

Mustaine covers it in his book and Vinnie Paul has mentioned it in interviews.

Ah well, that's gotta be true then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

scudzilla wrote: »
    Ah well, that's gotta be true then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you think they made it up:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you think they made it up:confused:

If it came from Vinnie then 'maybe' not, i wouldn't believe a word that Mustaine says, In his autobiography it's hilarious, he says in the notes at the start he's over Metallica/Hetfield, go to chapter 1, the first words are James Hetfield :pac::pac:

scudzilla wrote: »
    If it came from Vinnie then 'maybe' not, i wouldn't believe a word that Mustaine says, In his autobiography it's hilarious, he says in the notes at the start he's over Metallica/Hetfield, go to chapter 1, the first words are James Hetfield :pac::pac:

It came from both for sure,haven't looked up whether anyone else knew about it,band members etc.I'm a cynical person generally but I doubt they'd make it up,not sure what purpose it serves.
    Enjoyed the book for what it was.I consider most autobiographies semi-autobiographical anyway if that makes sense,two sides to every story and all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I really, really REALLY dont like Tool. I dunno if this is an unpopular rock/metal opinion online, but amongst my friends and people Ive met it certainly is!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I really, really REALLY dont like Tool. I dunno if this is an unpopular rock/metal opinion online, but amongst my friends and people Ive met it certainly is!

I think it's more of a music taste thing. You don't like them, fair enough but a fan of theirs will be shocked that someone doesn't feel the same as they do.

I cannot stand any glam rock/metal bands, Guns N'Roses etc. It is absolute garbage to me and you would have to pay me to listen to it! Big Tool fan though!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tool tend to be a fairly divisive band I find. I love them personally, but I know plenty of people who can't stand them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Actually I think they're ok! not great , some good songs alot of boring filler but they neither excite or enrage me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I like tool, but I don't like some of their fans

On the note of Dave Mustaine wanting Dimebag in Megadeth, Slash was also supposed to join while GN'R were spinning their wheels on Appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

On the note of Dave Mustaine wanting Dimebag in Megadeth, Slash was also supposed to join while GN'R were spinning their wheels on Appetite.

Mustaine, Dimebag and Slash all in the one band??? :eek:

Sounds unlikely, but if it's true it sounds unworkable.

EDIT: oops that's actually off topic.

Ok so here's my unpopular rock/metal opinion. Don't kill me!

Judas Priest - emmm they're not very good. Never understood their popularity / legendary status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Mustaine, Dimebag and Slash all in the one band??? :eek:

Sounds unlikely, but if it's true it sounds unworkable.

Well Mustaine is a terrible guitarist these days so I presume he'd be singing, Dimebag is dead and Slash has been whoring himself out to anybody who'd play with him for the last 15 years so I think it could work!!!

Advertisement