Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Fiskar wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jul/27/us-doctor-liberia-tests-positive-ebola

Seems like this disease may have boarded a plane. If so it will spread uncontrollably.

we havnt a hope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

PucaMama wrote: »
    we havnt a hope :(

Certainly if it got into a big international airport it would pose a hugh threat. This isn't like swine flu where a healthy person will just have a bad flu and let it run its course.

If an isolated incident made it to somewhere like America at least they would have better resources to contain it and treat people quickly than countries like Liberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Fiskar wrote: »

"International airports in Nigeria are screening passengers arriving from foreign countries..."

Something like this in one of Nigeria's international airports, very scarey indeed. Port Harcourt, still a cluster of tents/Marquee's, doesn't bear thinking about.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Guys - sorry for the short notice about these TV programmes

BBC4 Monday 28 July 2014

8.00 pm - Wild Weather - Cold - Surviving extremes of cold

9.00 pm - Timeshift - Killer storms and Cruel Winters: The History of Exreme Weather: The UK's worst weather disasters.

10:00 pm Could we Survive a Mega-Tsunami? : The possible effects of a mega-tsunami in the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

323 wrote: »
    In Angola at the moment working for a French outfit, we had a special Ebola presentation from the company HSE people last week. So it seems some are beginning to give it consideration.

Friend was studying microbiology/virology years ago, researching dengue fever, tame in comparison. Remember reading a book he gave me about Ebola, "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, a good read, interesting and terrifying.

Richard Preston was on the LLS years ago with Gaybo and discussed his book and Ebola. Gay treated it like a joke and I think the audience had much the same opinion. I on the other hand bought the book, terrifying read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

this ebola stuff could wipe out millions if it spreads in africa right? and once spread there will go worldwide right? is there anyway of stoppin you die if you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

As far as i know there is no known cure yet.
    But if it's got early one can get the symptoms treated with ,

Intravenous fluids.

Blood transfusions.

Pain medication.

Antiviral medication such as Rebetol.

I guess if 1000's caught Ebola,we'd quickly run out of blood for transfusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

EU on high alert as Germany agrees to accept Ebola patients

http://rt.com/news/176628-eu-ebola-high-alert/
    A German hospital has agreed to treat Ebola patients amid widespread fears of a possible outbreak of the deadly disease in Europe. Over 670 people have already been killed by the disease in West Africa with doctors struggling to control the epidemic.

A German hospital in Hamburg agreed to accept patients following a request from the World Health Organization (WHO), Deutsche Welle reports. Doctors assure that the utmost precautions will be taken to make sure the disease does not spread during treatment. The patients will be kept in an isolation ward behind several airlocks, and doctors and nurses will wear body suits with their own oxygen supplies that will be burned every three hours.
    In Hong Kong, a woman has been hospitalized with a suspected case of Ebola. According to reports from China Daily, the woman had recently returned home from a trip to Africa.

In an effort to confine the spread of the disease, the International Civil Aviation Organization will consult with the World Health Organization.

A bit close for comfort. :(

madmaxi wrote: »
    EU on high alert as Germany agrees to accept Ebola patients

http://rt.com/news/176628-eu-ebola-high-alert/

A bit close for comfort. :(
    bad decision for germany. wont be long till it escapes that hospital. we should stock up on masks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

There was a Prof of 'Something to do with Virus' on George Hook earlier. Apparently the strain of Ebola isn't as deadly as previous strains (Still deadly), hence its spread. It's not killing as many people as previous strains would have, so people are contagious for longer and it can spread.

Some airlines in Africa have started to take action and aren't accepting flights from certain countries.

In relation to Germany, that's a bit close to home, but you'd have to accept that a hospital in german has completely different facilities to the tents people are being treated in in africa. The pictures you see of rubber gloves being reused and people being treated in tents show that it will be impossible to halt the spread of the disease in Africa without education about how to deal with people who have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

watched the vice docu cannibal warlords .. the people dont believe ebola is real .. there are no precautions taken,even the chief medical officer in charge of disease control eats bush meat .. if it takes hold i shudder to think how many will suffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

watched the vice docu cannibal warlords .. the people dont believe ebola is real .. there are no precautions taken,even the chief medical officer in charge of disease control eats bush meat .. if it takes hold i shudder to think how many will suffer
    Someone should drop Ebola in Isreal. They'd find a cure. They love killing stuff.

Seriously though. May not be a bad thing if this killed a few Billion. Fu*cKing disgust reading what's going on around the world. Just keeps getting worse.

ONly problem would be the scum would probably come out the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

If it ever reaches here god help us with the standard of hygiene in Irish hospitals. It could infect dozens of people in an A&E before the tired over worked doctor at the end of a 24 hour shift even sees the patient. If the outbreak reaches Europe we should hand responsibility for controlling its spread here in Ireland over the the dept of agriculture because after their handling of foot and mouth a few years ago I have far more faith in them to control an Ebola outbreak than the department of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

thinking of stocking up on antiseptic, masks etc.

I seriously reckon we are going to have some sort of world war with the amount of unrest at the moment.

the israeli bombing of schools is seriously sickening

thinking of stocking up on antiseptic, masks etc.

I seriously reckon we are going to have some sort of world war with the amount of unrest at the moment.

the israeli bombing of schools is seriously sickening
    Hamas store their rockets in them, whose worse. Palestinians cheering Hamas on, they're "proud of them" :rolleyes:. Crazy bunch altogether. Hamas spokesman on the News earlier off over in another country. He's not getting blown up.

touts wrote: »
    If it ever reaches here god help us with the standard of hygiene in Irish hospitals. It could infect dozens of people in an A&E before the tired over worked doctor at the end of a 24 hour shift even sees the patient. If the outbreak reaches Europe we should hand responsibility for controlling its spread here in Ireland over the the dept of agriculture because after their handling of foot and mouth a few years ago I have far more faith in them to control an Ebola outbreak than the department of health.
    Come out of it. We are well equipped to deal with it.
    Dr Fry is confident that Ireland is safe from the disease. “The major difference between Ireland and other European countries is we don’t have direct flights to West Africa. We have a buffer zone where other countries are more likely to pick it up.”
    :eek::D

I wonder how much of the EU given 3.9mil will make it to efforts to fight the outbreak. Someones gonna get rich.

Updates on the other fighting. Sanctions finally hitting something worthwhile.
    The new sanctions decreed by Washington and Brussels target Russia’s state-owned banks, its arms manufacturers and its oil companies – all of them major pillars of the economy.
    I think the first sanctions were on cooking oil or something.
    In addition to the government-imposed sanctions from Europe and the United States, the Kremlin had suffered another punch in the gut on Monday: An international arbitration court in The Hague ruled that Russia must pay back the shareholders of Yukos, once the biggest oil company in the country, for expropriating its assets. The price tag: $50 billion.

I just watched that documentary. Couldn't sleep before definatly won't sleep now. Hate that people are living like that in 2014. Don't think il ever get the images of the children's bodies out of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

A PR lady from the Irish health service was just on Pat Kenny and dismissed ebola as not that great a risk because it is so hard to catch. She wouldn't even discourage tourists from visiting infected areas as long as they wash vegetables before eating them and don't have unprotected sex with prostitutes.

I'm off to Lidl to stock up on canned food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From this mornings 'Morning Ireland' on RTE Radio
    Could Ireland deal with outbreak of Ebola virus?
    Dr Darina O'Flanagan, Director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, discusses the threat posed by the Ebola virus

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=0%3A20625719%3A0%3A%3A&detail=&type=doPlayThis

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/morning-ireland/

She said essentially that:
    • It's not that bad
    • Measures are being taken in Ireland to look out for this and control it
    • It's one of many things that can get you and not the top of the list as it happens
    Well worth a listen as she is an expert rather than a PR person.

Take the usual sensible precautions and you should be completely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

just read the article about the US citizen one flight away from absolute disaster (and its bad enough for Nigeria now)....because once it hits western airport hubs it goes parabolic... to give you an idea of how bad it is getting in Nigeria, read below

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/30/minnesota-widow-on-her-husband-he-could-have-brought-ebola-here.html

http://www.flightstats.com/go/weblet?guid=d56928966b03ae86:3ade5f4a:11d536cb953:188&language=English&weblet=status&action=AirportFlightStatus&airportCode=LOS&airportQueryType=2

(i think thats the same airport). so the potential for spread is large even from Lagos. (i just picked today as a sample)

http://www.punchng.com/news/ebola-epidemic-out-of-control-says-charity/

looks like he fell ill in the airport -- if he had lasted until the US bound plane, that means people would have been in close proximity to him for the duration of the flight (which at a guess is around 20-24 hours)...then those people take other flights from AMS,JFK...well you can do the maths...

looks like the Nigerian govt is looking for approx 49 people who now would have been in contact with the original flight and already the person who helped him on the flight has become ill. but thats the original number...the longer they cant contact them the more potential for spreading.

now i check lagos to minnesota. it always routes through somewhere else as far as i can see. i am assuming the poor guy is like the rest of us, taking the cheapest flight he can.

some of the routes to give you an idea of how close it is to a breakout.

lagos, accra, JFK, minnesota
    lagos, amsterdam, toronto, minneapolis
    lagos, houston, minneapolis

all of those airports, now mix that with a person who thinks they just have a cold. the good news is it appears people are only contagious when they have it full blown and the corpse afterwards. thats a small mercy and maybe the weak link in its chain.

honestly i do think they will contain this, its not too late.

When Will We Have a Vaccine for Ebola Virus?
    But it has been hard to raise money for human safety tests.

I'd say this is gonna change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Whats the procedure for corpses then? Incineration?

Whats the procedure for corpses then? Incineration?
    Nope, nothing to gain from burning apparently.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/tn08/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Hi all, interesting thread this is my first time posting in your forum. so I've been following this Ebola outbreak pretty much since it began and I think we need to keep an eye on it. this is Ebola after all .I know there's a thread in afterhours about it but the mere mention of the word Ebola tends to freak most people out obviously I don't want to do that but I do have a question if anyone can help out.. is this a new strain of Ebola?.. from what I can gather it's a variant of the Zaire strain(97% similar) which is the deadliest of the five known types ...that means it's a new strain though right if it isn't 100% similar? I've seen some posters mention the book the hot zone which I've also read the only book that's ever genuinely freaked me out - in that book it's claimed the bug is airborne in it's own way albeit through aerosolized secretion they figured that out in fort Detrick with tests on monkeys - so when they say you have to come into contact directly with a persons bodily fluid they aren't being completely forthright about how that can happen are they ?.. I'm just trying to understand what's going on. I don't believe we are in an end of the world situation or we should panic but its spreading in Africa that much is obvious .we certainly need to keep an eye on it. we know very little about Ebola or the origins of any of the filoviruses really and if this is a new strain and if this bug learns a new trick we don't want to be caught off guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

WHO : http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/en/
    Information regarding Ebola virus disease.

WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/don/archive/disease/ebola/en/
    Regular updates regarding Ebola.

Best video I've seen on it so far:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

madmaxi wrote: »
    WHO : http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/en/
    Information regarding Ebola virus disease.

WHO: http://www.who.int/csr/don/archive/disease/ebola/en/
    Regular updates regarding Ebola.

Best video I've seen on it so far:

The WHO need to update their fact sheet I think . the information in that video is basic stuff aswell and also fails to mention that this is a new strain of Ebola. so there is six not five as both the WHO and that video claim. this is not the Zaire strain , they have already identified the parts of that genetic code that differ between the two there just isn't a consensus on what to call it yet. the information is out there for those who care to look. I'm not in the business of trying to scare anyone or overreact though everything we think we know about this current outbreak is just that - we think , truth is we don't know .because it's a new strain and we couldn't possibly understand it yet or how it works or what it's capable of . so we need to keep an eye on it .

• Advertisement

WakeUp wrote: »
    The WHO need to update their fact sheet I think . the information in that video is basic stuff aswell and also fails to mention that this is a new strain of Ebola. so there is six not five as both the WHO and that video claim. this is not the Zaire strain , they have already identified the parts of that genetic code that differ between the two there just isn't a consensus on what to call it yet. the information is out there for those who care to look. I'm not in the business of trying to scare anyone or overreact though everything we think we know about this current outbreak is just that - we think , truth is we don't know .because it's a new strain and we couldn't possibly understand it yet or how it works or what it's capable of . so we need to keep an eye on it .
    Initial tests a few weeks/months back thought it was new, multiple follow ups say it's not a new strain. It's a Zaire variant.

Phylogenetic Analysis of Guinea 2014 EBOV Ebolavirus Outbreak

Clock Rooting Further Demonstrates that Guinea 2014 EBOV is a Member of the Zaïre Lineage

And it's a weeker variant at that with a kill rate currently standing at 59%. It's pretty much the same virus since it was discovered in 76. Incidentialy one of the strains doesn't kill humans at all.

And if they'd just put the money into it, (this outbreak will put a fire under them) they're would already be a cure.

I see theirs a cure for HepC now even, well their is if you have $84,000 in America, but a cracking bargain of only $56,000 in the UK.:pac:

lol, American health system.

Apart from Aids, which keeps on stumping them for now. Blink and it mutates, I think the tech know how is nearly there to crack them all.

Advertisement