Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The joy of the beep !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I don't bother beeping at people over silly stuff, it just causes agro. If they were going to damage my car or cause an accident I would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Using the horn is not a bad thing, it alerts others you are there, lets them know the light has turned green act.

Its the Irish attitude to the horn which is the problem, many take it as an insult, like the car behind them is calling them a fúcking knob.

My wife is not from here ad many times she tells me to beep the car doing something wrong in front of us, I tell her in Ireland they might take it the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Twas Not wrote: »
    That's untrue. I regularly beep motorists and cyclists for dangerous road use such as veering out of lanes, bad roundabout management and being stopped inappropriately on the side of the road for no reason other than tapping an iPhone
    Does the horn echo under your bridge?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Twas Not wrote: »
    Not at all. How else will someone learn to drive safely and obey the rules of the road???
    Sorry, I thought you simply beeped the horn 40 - 60 times at them. I didn't realise you actually explained the error of their ways using morse code as the medium.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

OP clearly suffering from a case of small man syndrome. Most of the morons who blow their horn like lunatics suffer from an inferiority complex. A little power trip to make them feel like they're not irrelevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

But it goes both ways, how often have I seen people snooze through an entire green phase and no one beeped them. All because people are mortified someone might look at them.
    If anything people in Ireland don't beep enough and would rather put up with sh*tty driver in front of them than give him a quick beep.
    The same way they would go to a restaurant and choke down a terrible meal and say that everything was grand plus leave a tip, anything not to cause a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

There's simply no need to blow at people for 95% of the stuff. Most of the time I see people blasting the horn its for trivial nonsense. I can't remember the last time I've beeped the horn, apart from a quick "bip" to let the guy at the front of the queue know the light has changed. The only time I'd lean on it is if someone literally almost put me in the ditch doing some crazy-ass sh*t.

People do turn into assholes when they climb into their cars. There's little consideration or a relaxed attitude and it leads to endless strife and confrontations. Doubtless its the same people who get into agro on the roads time and time again.

I've traveled as a passenger with such people and its like "Jesus Christ man, would you chill the fukk out!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

My car has a very unsatisfyingly high-pitched horn. Using it aggressively isn't an option. It's a shame silly-sounding horns aren't mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You wouldn't sound the horn on our pajero in any situation, you'd sound too much like a ponce and embarrass yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I used the horn a lot more when I was on a motorbike, sometimes it was the only way to stay alive. I still use it now that I'm in a car but less so (I'm also less at risk).

A couple of times I've even been grateful for being beeped, the field of vision in a car is so limited compared to a bike it took me a while to get used to it especially on cold (condensation) mornings. I like to learn.

The road rage it induces in Ireland though, means that it's best to restrict it to when it will serve a purpose. Unfortunately, the numbskulls who need the most warning are also the most likely to misinterpret the gesture.

These are definitely not included in the Rules of the Road;
    . I only use it to say hello to people :o ..............................
    Mycroft H wrote: »
    I use it .................. to say hello to the neighbor.
    Places not to use the horn,
    Pulling up outside your mates house and your too much of a lazy ****er to get out and ring the bell.
    ...and Taxi drivers :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

But it goes both ways, how often have I seen people snooze through an entire green phase and no one beeped them

I remember one time my horn was broken, and I was sitting there behind a guy at a green light stranded praying for the fella behind me to blow him out of it!
    When you need it you need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Every one should have one of these :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No Pants wrote: »
    I've had that happen to me twice recently on the M50. Overtaking at considerable pace and someone pulls out in front of me at a lesser pace. Spot, take action, a quick flash of the lights and move on. I've never had anything similar happen outside of the motorway that I can recall. I'm too highly strung to allow these things affect me.

You see, this just makes no sense to me at all. Someone is in the process of cutting you off on a motorway and instead of beeping them to notify them off your presence you flash your lights at them? What use do you think that is going to be? Your horn is there precisely for this reason; its to warn other road users of your presense, and in a situation like what you described it is to be used in an effort to prevent an incident from occuring.

There is nothing noble about being passive-aggressive on the road; if someone is about put you in danger then do everything in your power to prevent it from happening. In most cases the most effective way to do this is to put your hand on the horn. I have lost count of the number of times I saved myself from being in an incident by doing this.

djimi wrote: »
    Someone is in the process of cutting you off on a motorway and instead of beeping them to notify them off your presence you flash your lights at them? What use do you think that is going to be?
    To warn them of my presence. :confused: I've used it twice; it has worked twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

You see, this just makes no sense to me at all. Someone is in the process of cutting you off on a motorway and instead of beeping them to notify them off your presence you flash your lights at them? What use do you think that is going to be? Your horn is there precisely for this reason; its to warn other road users of your presense, and in a situation like what you described it is to be used in an effort to prevent an incident from occuring.

There is nothing noble about being passive-aggressive on the road; if someone is about put you in danger then do everything in your power to prevent it from happening. In most cases the most effective way to do this is to put your hand on the horn. I have lost count of the number of times I saved myself from being in an incident by doing this.

Exactly ! The horn non user is almost as much to blame by not using all safely equipment available.

To warn them of my presence. :confused: I've used it twice; it has worked twice.

You think flashing someone notified them of your presense? It didnt. At best, you got lucky and they looked in their mirror at the last second and saw you. Beeping the horn gets the attention of the driver who is not looking in their mirrors, which is its very point; there is no point in using something that relies on the driver looking at your car, when its blatently obvious they werent looking to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

You think flashing someone notified them of your presense? It didnt. At best, you got lucky and they looked in their mirror at the last second and saw you. Beeping the horn gets the attention of the driver who is not looking in their mirrors, which is its very point; there is no point in using something that relies on the driver looking at your car, when its blatently obvious they werent looking to begin with.

I don't know why anyone is scared to use their horn. But there you go.....these people do exist !

• Advertisement

Okay then, so I just imagined it working. Twice. :rolleyes:

Okay then, so I just imagined it working. Twice. :rolleyes:

Well if you can explain to me how a car that wasnt looking at you managed to see your silent warning then more power to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You are putting yourself at unnecessary risk. By warning a driver who isn't looking by visual means, you run the risk of the other driver not seeing your signal and resulting in a collission. You got lucky twice, you might not be so lucky next time.

You are putting yourself at unnecessary risk. By warning a driver who isn't looking by visual means, you run the risk of the other driver not seeing your signal and resulting in a collission. You got lucky twice, you might not be so lucky next time.
    I have already spotted what was happening and taken action before flashing. There was no longer any danger.

I have already spotted what was happening and taken action before flashing. There was no longer any danger.

So your flashing prevented nothing then? Im assuming the other car continued to drift into your lane after you had backed off?

So your flashing prevented nothing then? Im assuming the other car continued to drift into your lane after you had backed off?
    Took action, flashed, manoeuvre was cancelled and lane cleared. In my mind that was better than beeping and distracting multiple motorists at speed.

Fair enough; I stand by my thinking that you got lucky that the other car remembered what their mirrors were far and noticed you. Had they not looked in their mirrors they would not have known of your presense to cancelled the manoeuvre. You might not be so lucky the next time. I can tell you of countless incidents where I am absolutely certain that I would have ended up in a collision had I not put my hand on the horn in an effort to prevent another motorist from blindly turning in on me. Just last week I was nearly wiped out on the M1 by a bus that suddenly decided he wanted to overtake something while I was in the process of overtaking him; had I flashed my lights at him rather than put my hand on the horn it is very likely that I would have ended up in a mangled heap of metal on the side of the motorway...

Beeping to prevent an incident from occuring is not distracting to other motorists, and even if it is then its better to have them momentarily distracted by your beeping then potentially caught up in your high speed incident because you didnt feel that being assertive was the correct response to prevent said incident.

Fair enough; I stand by my thinking that you got lucky that the other car remembered what their mirrors were far and noticed you. Had they not looked in their mirrors they would not have known of your presense to cancelled the manoeuvre. You might not be so lucky the next time. I can tell you of countless incidents where I am absolutely certain that I would have ended up in a collision had I not put my hand on the horn in an effort to prevent another motorist from blindly turning in on me. Just last week I was nearly wiped out on the M1 by a bus that suddenly decided he wanted to overtake something while I was in the process of overtaking him; had I flashed my lights at him rather than put my hand on the horn it is very likely that I would have ended up in a mangled heap of metal on the side of the motorway...

Beeping to prevent an incident from occuring is not distracting to other motorists, and even if it is then its better to have them momentarily distracted by your beeping then potentially caught up in your high speed incident because you didnt feel that being assertive was the correct response to prevent said incident.
    Some good points there. Taken on board. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I must say I use it relatively frequently. At least once every couple of months. Typical situations involve:

1) Lane drifting on multi-lane roundabouts. If you're about to cut off my exit from the roundabout because you didn't follow the road markings and/or make me jam on 20 seconds after pulling away from a green light to enter the roundabout, you will get a short blast of the horn to put you back in your lane. I understand you might be confused and need to go around the roundabout, but unless you're indicating I'm going to treat you as a drifting idiot and direct you to where you should be using my horn. It's safer for you, safer for me, and safer for anyone behind me who shouldn't have to suffer rear-ending me because of your lack of attention

2) Driving up to within 10ft of a truck/bus/micra in lane 1 on the motorway, breaking to 90 km/h and then pulling out in front of me doing 130km/h in lane 2. I knew you were going to do this 200m ago, because I drive on the motorway a lot. I can see you are completely clueless, otherwise you'd have pulled into lane 2 ages ago when it was clear. I know you are going to be halfway into my lane before you even attempt to indicate, and that this will be a wild brake-swing-indicate maneuver. You, sir/madam, will get a reminder that I'm coming up too fast for you to pull this ridiculous stunt. And that you should wait for an empty lane. It's not my fault you boxed yourself in, and pulling out is effectively brake-testing me.

It might be scary/startling at times for those that need the warning, but I think its safer all around if people are encouraged not to make stupid moves. Someone didn't beep at me on a dual carriageway when I was learning, and I completely misjudged the distance/speed of traffic in lane 2 as I attempted to overtake a van with a trailer. I was indicating in plenty of time, had an L plate up, but the driver thought it was more appropriate to power through than to warn me, so I ended up 2 feet into his lane before I saw he had just entered my blind spot. This was completely my fault, but I could have taken him, me and probably the van and trailer out. No-one can tell me that the horn is a waste of time after that. Scares without incidents are good, they make us better drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Most Irish people would be dead within ten minutes of trying to drive in e.g. Saigon. Horns are constantly used to alert people of your presence and are not taken as a personal insult. How we developed this attitude to using car horns, I don't know, but it's pretty ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement