Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The joy of the beep !

Options
  • 20-07-2014 10:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭

Is there anything more satisfying that a good blast of the horn in the direction of wrong doers in the road. Both as a warning and a punishment of shame.

I blasted a cyclist off the road yesterday afternoon when they shot out of a side road onto a main road. I may have saved their lives if they are too scared to return to our roads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Twas Not wrote: »
    Is there anything more satisfying that a good blast of the horn in the direction of wrong doers in the road. Both as a warning and a punishment of shame.

I blasted a cyclist off the road yesterday afternoon when they shot out of a side road onto a main road. I may have saved their lives if they are too scared to return to our roads.

I must say, thats rather impressive. Still, you should have been done for public urination..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I wouldn't find being a dick that satisfying. I also find using the horn while driving to be counterproductive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

No Pants wrote: »
    I wouldn't find being a dick that satisfying. I also find using the horn while driving to be counterproductive.

Counterproductive how? The horn is an essential safety device (as tested by NCT) and should be used (appropriately obviously !)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The old blast of the horn didn't help during the week when a tractor and trailer stopped dead on the road and reversed into me destroying the front of the van. Deaf farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I have to say I never use the horn unless it was a really extreme situation where someone was going to hit me and didn't see me. But I don't just use it to inform road users that they made mistakes. I wouldn't like people beeping at me and why would I beep at them. I often see aswell if a driver is doing a manoeuvre and holding up trafic and everyone is beeping they will get panicked and stall the car. I don't know why you would want to put someone in that situation specially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Depends on the situation tbh. If someone is about to do something that looks like it could involve me in an accident then I have no problem blasting the horn (ie exiting a roundabout from the wrong lane).

Or sometimes its just a way to vent frustration at a dickhead road user that isnt going to lead to a GBH charge :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I f'ing hate people who beep when they're annoyed or something. The horn was not designed to express your inner feelings and emotions about how the bad man in the car hurt your feelings waaah wah wah. I dont give a $£@& about your feelings about that other driver. Shut the f up and leave me out of it.

Rant over.

Not addressed at anyone here obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Oink wrote: »
    I f'ing hate people who beep when they're annoyed or something. The horn was not designed to express your inner feelings and emotions about how the bad man in the car hurt your feelings waaah wah wah. I dont give a $£@& about your feelings about that other driver. Shut the f up and leave me out of it.

Rant over.

Not addressed at anyone here obviously!!

Why would it bother you in the slightest? Unless you are the person getting beeped at of course.

The only times that a car horn ever bother me is either when its in a housing estate and its some prat blowing to let someone know that they are outside, or when its a gob****e blowing away in a traffic jam or something that nobody can do anything about.

Personal opinion i guess. For me its the equivalent of two low-lives shouting at each other across the street. I dont care what they re on about, i'm not interested, and I want them to shut up or get a room.

Edit: unless the horn is used as a safety device obviously.

Counterproductive how? The horn is an essential safety device (as tested by NCT) and should be used (appropriately obviously !)
    It's rarely used as a warning, more as a way of expressing annoyance. Even when it is used as a warning, people tend to react badly. I normally just adjust my driving to take account of whatever nuisance someone has just made of themselves and leave it like that. A competent driver can generally spot upcoming dickery. If needs be, maybe three or four flashes of the lights to signal danger. Beeping the horn is just a distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

It saved my life when a dopey women decided to try run me off the road due to her lack of attention when it comes to lane discipline. Of course when the person still doesn't see what's wrong after the near incident and starts swearing at you the middle finger is most effective.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    It saved my life when a dopey women decided to try run me off the road due to her lack of attention when it comes to lane discipline. Of course when the person still doesn't see what's wrong after the near incident and starts swearing at you the middle finger is most effective.
    I've had that happen to me twice recently on the M50. Overtaking at considerable pace and someone pulls out in front of me at a lesser pace. Spot, take action, a quick flash of the lights and move on. I've never had anything similar happen outside of the motorway that I can recall. I'm too highly strung to allow these things affect me.

It's rarely used as a warning, more as a way of expressing annoyance. Even when it is used as a warning, people tend to react badly. I normally just adjust my driving to take account of whatever nuisance someone has just made of themselves and leave it like that. A competent driver can generally spot upcoming dickery. If needs be, maybe three or four flashes of the lights to signal danger. Beeping the horn is just a distraction.

That's untrue. I regularly beep motorists and cyclists for dangerous road use such as veering out of lanes, bad roundabout management and being stopped inappropriately on the side of the road for no reason other than tapping an iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I regularly beep motorists and cyclists for dangerous road use
    One swallow does not make a summer. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Now that I think of it, I very rarely beep when driving, only as a gesture to someone I know.

I don't like people who use it out of ignorance. To warn you of danger is necessary of course, but if someone blows at me because I've delayed them by all of 3 seconds I like to give a friendly flash of the lights and a thumbs up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I don't think I've ever, well maybe once or twice, used the horn in anger or frustration. I only use it to say hello to people :o I hate when people use it towards me, I've such a high tolerance towards bad drivers even though they drive me mad at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I don't think we use our horns half enough in this country, especially in rural Ireland. When someone is acting the idiot on the road or being inconsiderate, theres nothing more satisfying than giving them a beep. In small town Ireland though, people are too afraid to show their annoyance in case the person in the other car might recognise them.

Rabbo wrote: »
    I don't think we use our horns half enough in this country, especially in rural Ireland. When someone is acting the idiot on the road or being inconsiderate, theres nothing more satisfying than giving them a beep. .

1. Not beeping enough:
    You must be joking...

2. Nothing more satisfying than giving them a beep:
    Now we're getting to the bottom of it: People using the horn for their own satisfaction (I quote) rather than in an emergency. Personally I prefer when people satisfy themselves in private if they are ever overcome by their emotions for another driver, rather than afflict that on other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I use it as a warning device and to say hello to the neighbor.

• Advertisement

1. Not beeping enough:
    You must be joking...

2. Nothing more satisfying than giving them a beep:
    Now we're getting to the bottom of it: People using the horn for their own satisfaction (I quote) rather than in an emergency. Personally I prefer when people satisfy themselves in private if they are ever overcome by their emotions for another driver, rather than afflict that on other people.

It is satisfying to correct wrongdoing. How couldn't it be? So there is nothing wrong with feeling a level of satisfaction after blasting someone off the road.

I favour 2 or 3 long beeps maybe 20 or 25 seconds followed up by a series of short pippy beeps - maybe as many as 40 or 60 depending on the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You gotta use it right. It is there to warn others of your presence. When I was on the road every day, I sometimes did use it to warn whatever doddery old fool was driving along at 40 km/h that I was currently overtaking him, since these guys are usually not aware of their surroundings.
    Other than that, people who don't look before changing lanes.
    I do use it at traffic lights when the guy in front is clearly snoozing, but only a polite little bip.

As an aside, if you say "people are sooo rude, everyone's always beeping and flashing, its terrible!
    You may want to re-assess your driving, methinks it is something you're doing.
    And a lot of people think "I am entitled to be on the road and can drive whatever way I see fit!". All the beeping in the world won't cure them.

It is satisfying to correct wrongdoing.

Thats my point. When someone doesnt see you, you beep so they dont crash into you. But if we all go out there to teach people lessons, to "correct" every idiot that crosses your path, then we'll all spend half the day sitting on the horn.

I often have strong feelings about all sorts of idiotic drivers. I might curse at them or whatever but I assume that nobody on the road gives a sh about my poor wounded feelings. Also I fail to see the link between my feelings and the horn.

Just sayin'.

Thats my point. When someone doesnt see you, you beep so they dont crash into you. But if we all go out there to teach people lessons, to "correct" every idiot that crosses your path, then we'll all spend half the day sitting on the horn.

I often have strong feelings about all sorts of idiotic drivers. I might curse at them or whatever but I assume that nobody on the road gives a sh about my poor wounded feelings. Also I fail to see the link between my feelings and the horn.

Just sayin'.

Well I guess I will do as I wish not as you please then.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I wouldn't suggest beeping every time someone does something annoying, if that was the case I wouldn't keep my hand off the horn.

The satisfaction of it is a happy by-product of the beeping. There's no harm reminding someone that they're acting the idiot. It helps to improve standard of driving. We've all been bleeped at when we did something stupid on the road, you then naturally try to avoid being an inconvenience to other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

If someones blindly coming into your lane, brake & blast of the horn and they swerve back to their own lane!
    If you don't blow they don't know.

Places not to use the horn,
    Pulling up outside your mates house and your too much of a lazy ****er to get out and ring the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

...I thought this was another Rx8 thread, looking at the topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The Joy of Beep!
    Now available in all good dirty bookstores.

I favour 2 or 3 long beeps maybe 20 or 25 seconds followed up by a series of short pippy beeps - maybe as many as 40 or 60 depending on the situation.
    That's just dickery. You're no better than the people you're beeping.

• Advertisement

That's just dickery. You're no better than the people you're beeping.

Not at all. How else will someone learn to drive safely and obey the rules of the road???

It's reckless NOT to beep someone off the road when they are driving poorly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement