Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

A manager from outside the county would be a wise choice and can never understand why we never had a manager from Kilkenny, surely there's plenty guys down there who have managed club sides in various counties.

As for defensive hurling, its mind boggling to see and daft and when you add it to the handpassing the ball to the next guy who is 5 yards away in a worse position, it does make the blood boil.

They're coaching the individual aspect of each hurler out of them and brainwashing them to literally go backwards with the ball and replacing the fun of playing with fear in playing.

As for Saturday night, Wexford were a threat running at Clare last week so I guess we'll start out with half forwards playing around the half back line to stop the ball going inside. When we get the ball, we'll have no forwards to aim at or be greatly outnumbered so scores will be based on O'Mahony's frees.

I hope I'm wrong but that will play into Wexford's hands as if they get ahead, their confidence will soar further after last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

cul beag wrote: »
    Very informative post. Who would be your likely candidates from outside the county? Bear in mind now the IQ level you're dealing with at the top level!

I really don't know. Who ever it is they need to have a previous record of managing county teams or involved in the backroom team with them that did well. I guess that would narrow it down considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Positives from last night:

1/ We don't have to go to Ennis in 2 weeks and get annilated there

2/ It was not live on TV thank God

3/ The minors at least beat the U-21s last week. That might sound like a negative now but it could be a positive in the future.

4/ The Cork keeper was man of the match. A traditional consolation for the losing team when you can't blame the ref
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/collins-pulls-out-all-the-stops-275757.html

5/ Hopefully a wake up call for Saturday....

Looking forward to Saturday I just would love to see us give it a real go. We should be ok 1-9 so I don't see any reason why our YOUNG forwards need to help out our EXPERIENCED defenders/midfielders

I presume the team is out tonight, my team even tho it won't happen;

1 - SOK
    2 - T de B
    3 - Lawlor
    4 - Connors
    5 - S Fives
    6 - Moran
    7 - P Prender
    8 - D Fives
    9 - S Molumphy
    10 B O Halloran - F*** it should be fit enough now there are plenty of sub options but might bring a bit of dynamism to forwards
    11 Brick - Something to hit and played there in our most significant win in 50 years (08 Tip)
    12 Gleeson
    13 Dunford
    14 S Walsh
    15 Mahony - Frees of course and would like to see him as a playmaker further up pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

1 - SOK
    2 - T de B
    3 - Lawlor
    4 - Connors
    5 - S Fives
    6 - Moran
    7 - P Prender
    8 - D Fives
    9 - S Molumphy
    10 B O Halloran - F*** it should be fit enough now there are plenty of sub options but might bring a bit of dynamism to forwards
    11 Brick - Something to hit and played there in our most significant win in 50 years (08 Tip)
    12 Gleeson
    13 Dunford
    14 S Walsh
    15 Mahony - Frees of course and would like to see him as a playmaker further up pitch[/quote]

Like the look of that team. If only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

1 - SOK
    2 - T de B
    3 - Lawlor
    4 - Connors
    5 - S Fives
    6 - Moran
    7 - P Prender
    8 - D Fives
    9 - S Molumphy
    12 Gleeson
    13 Dunford
    14 S Walsh
    15 Mahony - Frees of course and would like to see him as a playmaker further up pitch

Like the look of that team. If only.[/QUOTE]
    Who played midfield with Jamie Nagle in 08?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

I wonder if Derek has got the message yet .

Ken blasting him in public as is tony and muller sure what would those lads know ?

The one time he let them loose we ran cork so close , a team now joint favourites for the Ai

There was more at ken's game than at laois' and that was with 1500 laois people there .

He's losing the fans the one thing they say about us that we travel .well they won't be saying that next year .

I think we have the players we were so close last year. Cody said it was the first let time he saw us truly take them on . And then this **** .

I'm going to be there have to find a lift from Dublin but ill make it .but **** me if I won't withdraw my financial support after the season if he doesn't cop on .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Heard a rumour Bennett is gonna start Saturday

KevIRL wrote: »
    Flynn and Mullane are back training too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Can't see it. He played 5 minutes or so yesterday, it would be suggesting yesterday was just shadow boxing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

sssshhhhh will ya

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Who played midfield with Jamie Nagle in 08?[/QUOTE]

Good question. Brick made the switch in second half against Tipp can't remember who went back there maybe Molumphy possibly Eoin McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

1 - SOK
    2 - T de B
    3 - Lawlor
    4 - Connors
    5 - S Fives
    6 - Moran
    7 - P Prender
    8 - D Fives
    9 - S Molumphy
    12 Gleeson
    13 Dunford
    14 S Walsh

Like the look of that team. If only.[/QUOTE]

There is only one problem with that team!

There is no Shane O'Sullivan or Jake Dillon and Derek will have to accommodate those guys at all costs, no matter how badly they have been playing all year.

Are tickets sold out?? I tried fraher field but they're all gone

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Flynn and Mullane are back training too :)

lads, ffs fellas banging on about ryan here still, if ryan was any good he be with another decent county or a top club, not messing around with some intermediate team in clonmel.

secondly, queally is a bluffer too, same crap as last year negative as an taoiseach, men behind the ball no apparent plan then goes and has a dig at senior set up and that it didnt suit him! god sake man u knew about this game for ages its a reflection on your management skills if you cannot motivate and organise players.

lastly waterford will beat wexford and also limerick of that i am certain. where will the derek mcgrath knockers be then? I cant see them being negative v wexico id understand it against a team of greater ability, but i imagine we will go out and hurl wex 15v15... and beat them.

will that be enough to take from dereks critics? i doubt it....

free the ballymac 1....

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Sok
    paudie Prendergast
    Lawlor
    Connors
    fives
    moran
    fives
    tadgh/brick
    jake
    mahony
    Sullivan
    dunford
    Walsh
    Gleeson

Team for sat night. Trip to kilkenny beginning to look unlikely now!

Alf Tupper wrote: »

There is only one problem with that team!

There is no Shane O'Sullivan or Jake Dillon and Derek will have to accommodate those guys at all costs, no matter how badly they have been playing all year.[/QUOTE]

Ye understand that, just my preference, I like the two lads but at this stage we need to be getting our best available team out, and not trying to accommodate fellas even tho the balance of the team suffers. Startling example was last night where there was possibly 5 lads who I would deem to be inside forwards all playing in the midfield. We just lose shape.

lads, ffs fellas banging on about ryan here still, if ryan was any good he be with another decent county or a top club, not messing around with some intermediate team in clonmel.

secondly, queally is a bluffer too, same crap as last year negative as an taoiseach, men behind the ball no apparent plan then goes and has a dig at senior set up and that it didnt suit him! god sake man u knew about this game for ages its a reflection on your management skills if you cannot motivate and organise players.

lastly waterford will beat wexford and also limerick of that i am certain. where will the derek mcgrath knockers be then? I cant see them being negative v wexico id understand it against a team of greater ability, but i imagine we will go out and hurl wex 15v15... and beat them.

free the ballymac 1....

Yet again the paranoid ABS (Anyone but Skully) brigade are hallucinating comments about Michael Ryan. Even quoting a post as if it's a response, though totally unrelated.

free the ballymac 1....
    It was a joke...calm down. I never said anything about Michael Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

free the ballymac 1....

What has Michael Ryan got to do with Waterford hurlings problems in 2014?People can only judge what they see and on the evidence presented so far Waterford have gone backwards from last year at a rate of knots.In fairness Waterford shipped no heavy championship defeats under the last management.I also think you are incredibly dismissive of a Limerick team that are at a more advanced stage of development than Waterford.This is a Limerick team that gave Cork a tough battle on Sunday and if the snatched a goal first they could have retained their munster title.Last weekends win will also have bought on Wexford a lot.I had a feeling you would get up on the soap box again after the u21 match last night to have a pop off Peter Queally.I thought it was a handy win at first (i said as such on the Cork GAA thread) but it turns out our keeper had to make several quality saves in that game.After Waterfords draw with Cork in Munster the very first line you said in your post game post is what do ye lot in the west think now?You seem to struggle with the concept that Waterford is one county both east and west.Your posts are dripping with poisonous agendas.Would you say what have posted here to both Michael and Peter if you were face to face with them?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

is the wexford match on tv?

• Advertisement

malascoile wrote: »

Yeah it's on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any sign of a team yet?

Sok
    paudie Prendergast
    Lawlor
    Connors
    fives
    moran
    fives
    tadgh/brick
    jake
    mahony
    Sullivan
    dunford
    Walsh
    Gleeson

Team for sat night. Trip to kilkenny beginning to look unlikely now!

Apparently this is the team Ian but I've not seen anything from Waterford GAA or twitter to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

malascoile wrote: »

sky , myiplayer.com is a good bet

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

What are fellas take on the team? Strange brick and tadgh as a midfield pairing? I won't even go into the usual suspects in the forward line!

What are fellas take on the team? Strange brick and tadgh as a midfield pairing? I won't even go into the usual suspects in the forward line!
    Shane O'Sullivan half forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭carter10

Shane O'Sullivan half forward?

if that's the team then de burca will drop back sweeper, o Sullivan will go mid field and zGleeson to wing. Dunford and Walsh in the ff line. Basically same set up as last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Wexford in the All Ireland Qualifiers in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny on Saturday evening has been named following training tonight.

1 Stephen O Keeffe Ballygunner
    2 Shane Fives Carrigtwohill
    3 Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4 Noel Connors Passage
    5 Darragh Fives Tourin
    6 Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7 Tadgh de Burca Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    8 Michael Walsh Stradbally Captain
    9 Padraig Prendergast Lismore
    10 Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    11 Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12 Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    13 Colin Dunford Colligan
    14 Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15 Jake Dillon De La Salle

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Wexford in the All Ireland Qualifiers in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny on Saturday evening has been named following training tonight.

1 Stephen O Keeffe Ballygunner
    2 Shane Fives Carrigtwohill
    3 Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4 Noel Connors Passage
    5 Darragh Fives Tourin
    6 Kevin Moran De La Salle
    7 Tadgh de Burca Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    8 Michael Walsh Stradbally Captain
    9 Padraig Prendergast Lismore
    10 Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    11 Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12 Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    13 Colin Dunford Colligan
    14 Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15 Jake Dillon De La Salle

I rest my case about Sullivan and Dillon.

Mother of f**k, we're gone back to the 70's and 80's where it was harder to get off the team than on it, depending on what club you were from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    I rest my case about Sullivan and Dillon.

Mother of f**k, we're gone back to the 70's and 80's where it was harder to get off the team than on it, depending on what club you were from.

I don't have too many issues with that team to be honest. What changes would you make? Glad to see PP get a chance

Its the system I have issue with. I'm glad Bennett isn't starting as suggested. What would be the point blowing another young lads confidence by isolating him in a full forward line where 2 or 3 defenders would just hop off him everytime the ball comes in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement