Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

D'Agger wrote: »
    Was thinking it would be a break alright. He's been involved with a county team every year for the past ten so he's due a rest.

He's one of the best footballers I've had the pleasure of lining out with and tbqh I think he's getting a shít time of it from the Kerry mgmt. - the guy is probably Kerrys best full forward, yet there he was last year up in Mayo laboring after Keith Higgins on the wing. He's big, strong can kick points of both feet with ease and is a free taking option - I really don't see how he has never been given a shot at 14 for the league

To be quite honest D'Ag, he is a bit off what is required at the highest level. He has got chances with Kerry and just hasn't performed. It's no slight on the man, he has played minor, u-21, junior with Kerry and done well at all those levels and he's a good operator at club level.
    I'll say one thing, he's as good as some of the lads currently on Senior panel right now, but thats neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

To be quite honest D'Ag, he is a bit off what is required at the highest level. He has got chances with Kerry and just hasn't performed. It's no slight on the man, he has played minor, u-21, junior with Kerry and done well at all those levels and he's a good operator at club level.
    I'll say one thing, he's as good as some of the lads currently on Senior panel right now, but thats neither here nor there.
    He has gotten chances yes - but my grievance is that he hasn't been given one in a position where he plays his best football

If he was given a run at 14 in the league next year and wasn't cutting it, then fair enough but anytime he's been given a run it's been on the wing which is not where you get the best out of a player with his talents

He has gotten chances yes - but my grievance is that he hasn't been given one in a position where he plays his best football

If he was given a run at 14 in the league next year and wasn't cutting it, then fair enough but anytime he's been given a run it's been on the wing which is not where you get the best out of a player with his talents

He doesn't have the pace/evasion for the inside line at county level Dag...he has even struggled at Kerry junior level or county c/ship level a few times when faced with a very pacey opponent. There are fine margins at this level, but saying "he's the best 14 available" I totally disagree with. Geaney, O'Brien, O'Donoghue and even Declan Sull still, are all sharper, more evasive players than Stam. I'm not trying to be critical of him, but you brought it up so...

Anyway, weekend fast approaching. Not sure is team named tomorrow or tonight or what. More interested to see Cork team to be honest, but obviously our midfield and forward line will be of interest also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Team named this evening after an apparently open training session CT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

He doesn't have the pace/evasion for the inside line at county level Dag...he has even struggled at Kerry junior level or county c/ship level a few times when faced with a very pacey opponent. There are fine margins at this level, but saying "he's the best 14 available" I totally disagree with. Geaney, O'Brien, O'Donoghue and even Declan Sull still, are all sharper, more evasive players than Stam. I'm not trying to be critical of him, but you brought it up so...

Anyway, weekend fast approaching. Not sure is team named tomorrow or tonight or what. More interested to see Cork team to be honest, but obviously our midfield and forward line will be of interest also.
    True - JOD & Declan definitely....Geaney....maybe, the man gets goals to his credit but still haven't seen enough of him to judge. I prefer O'Brien on the wing tbh, pace coming through. Other than the first two lads who are exceptional players, I don't think Kerry has too many full forwards better on offer. Would love to see him at 14 with JOD & Cooper either side.

Alas, will most likely never happen...if it does I'll dig up this post :pac:

Be interesting to see what Cork start with alright, first time in a long while I think Cork will win with a few points to spare - I just think their forwards will have too much for us

• Advertisement

Geaney looks like he's going be be top notch to me.

True - JOD & Declan definitely....Geaney....maybe, the man gets goals to his credit but still haven't seen enough of him to judge. I prefer O'Brien on the wing tbh, pace coming through. Other than the first two lads who are exceptional players, I don't think Kerry has too many full forwards better on offer. Would love to see him at 14 with JOD & Cooper either side.

Alas, will most likely never happen...if it does I'll dig up this post :pac:

Be interesting to see what Cork start with alright, first time in a long while I think Cork will win with a few points to spare - I just think their forwards will have too much for us

Feel free!

Cork won fairly comfortably in 2012 don't forget..to be honest I can see it being a lot closer this time...but lets wait and see. The theory that "Cork's forwards will have too much" won't hold much water if their midfield isn't winning primary ball..besides, I'd be hopeful that Kerry's forwards will be applying some pressure down the other end themselves!

Geaney, for a man not long over serious injury, is already showing great signs. Lets not build him up too much yet though.

Team named:
    1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Killian Young Renard
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    11. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Paul Geaney Dingle
    14. Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion
    Fir Ionaid
    16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    18. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    19. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    20. Michael Geaney Dingle
    21. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    22. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    23. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
    24. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    25. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    26. Daithí Casey Dr Crokes

Crowley dropped. Didn't see that coming. Can't believe Buckley AND O'Donoghue are starting..big gamble. Donnacha Walsh not 100% either I'd say.
    Not sure really, won't know whether the risks will pay off until game is underway. At least with Darran, Crowley, BJK, Moran there's a bit of impact from the bench you'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

very happy with that team to be honest, if everybody is fit (which is a big if at the moment), we have strong options off the bench.

that team if they can go on a run now and keep injurys down will rattle a semi final IMO, if they all hit top form.

Afraid of getting a hiding I'd say, no way those lads are ready to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Crowley dropped. Didn't see that coming. Can't believe Buckley AND O'Donoghue are starting..big gamble. Donnacha Walsh not 100% either I'd say.
    Not sure really, won't know whether the risks will pay off until game is underway. At least with Darran, Crowley, BJK, Moran there's a bit of impact from the bench you'd hope.

I think Crowley is fierce unlucky and I think Marc is very lucky to retain his place - Aidan was always likely to come in after his impact the last day.

Agree about Buckley and O'Donoghue. - Serious gamble, especially when you look at the likely level of opposition we would face in the qualifiers. Why risk them?

We gambled with Moran and Darran's fitness last week and both had to come off before half-time and aren't fit enough to start this week.

This time around we're gambling with O'Donoghue, Buckley and Donnacha. How many of these lads will manage a full game?

There's no way O'Brien is going to line out in the half-forward line - Cork will know well he will be nearer goals with Declan dropping deep.

Selection of the team has probably been largely picked on the back of fitness concerns (who can we risk?) as opposed to form which is a worry.

very happy with that team to be honest, if everybody is fit (which is a big if at the moment), we have strong options off the bench.

that team if they can go on a run now and keep injurys down will rattle a semi final IMO, if they all hit top form.

It's blatantly obvious that a lot of the players are a long way from 100% fitness.

I really don't agree that we have strong options off the bench - I really can't imagine a situation where the subs coming on on Sunday are likely to be able to win us the game given their fitness and form.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think Crowley is fierce unlucky and I think Marc is very lucky to retain his place - Aidan was always likely to come in after his impact the last day.

Agree about Buckley and O'Donoghue. - Serious gamble, especially when you look at the likely level of opposition we would face in the qualifiers. Why risk them?

We gambled with Moran and Darran's fitness last week and both had to come off before half-time and aren't fit enough to start this week.

This time around we're gambling with O'Donoghue, Buckley and Donnacha. How many of these lads will manage a full game?

There's no way O'Brien is going to line out in the half-forward line - Cork will know well he will be nearer goals with Declan dropping deep.

Selection of the team has probably been largely picked on the back of fitness concerns (who can we risk?) as opposed to form which is a worry.

Marc was on Clare's best forward last day out, was never going to be dropped but needs to improve alright.
    Maybe Crowley was slipping in training or something..I still maintain he's a better centre back than Young and hopefully we'll see that at some stage.
    I just hope O'Donoghue is able for it to be honest, we don't need him getting some serious injury which is why I thought he wouldn't be risked.

Marc was on Clare's best forward last day out, was never going to be dropped but needs to improve alright.
    Maybe Crowley was slipping in training or something..I still maintain he's a better centre back than Young and hopefully we'll see that at some stage.
    I just hope O'Donoghue is able for it to be honest, we don't need him getting some serious injury which is why I thought he wouldn't be risked.

Re Marc - it's not just the Clare game - he had a poor league.

Marc is a long way off the player he was when he was playing with Eamonn - my worry is can Eamonn see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

Marc is the most gifted back we have so please enough of this lucky to be playing rubbish.

Buckley starting is wrong in my opinion I'd have Sheehan in there instead.

You can see that the other top teams are making significant changes in the last quarter we need lads to be able to come into the game and close it out.
    Maybe this is the thinking around Crowley?

Finally delighted with the change in goal.

Marc is the most gifted back we have so please enough of this lucky to be playing rubbish.

Buckley starting is wrong in my opinion I'd have Sheehan in there instead.

You can see that the other top teams are making significant changes in the last quarter we need lads to be able to come into the game and close it out.
    Maybe this is the thinking around Crowley?

Finally delighted with the change in goal.

Marc is definitely on the chopping block, very poor so far this year.

Marc will step up when it really matters.

You'd swear we where blessed with experienced backs.

He's 35 next birthday and his form this year has been very poor.

No-one has a divine right to a Kerry jersey and Marc has done very little this year in terms of making a case for a Kerry jersey when playing for Kerry.

He's given a hell of a lot to the Kerry jersey over the years, but that doesn't automatically give him a divine right to keep the jersey.

Can't help wondering if he is getting somewhat of a pass because of his surname?

Lads, I wait until I see the reaction to seeing a Cork jersey in front of an O'Sé before writing him off, poor league or no!

• Advertisement

Lads, I wait until I see the reaction to seeing a Cork jersey in front of an O'Sé before writing him off, poor league or no!

Not writing him off in the slightest just saying he needs to improve vastly on his form of the last three months. Presumably he will.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Not writing him off in the slightest just saying he needs to improve vastly on his form of the last three months. Presumably he will.

..and he's not the only one who needs to improve. Maher is in the same boat, for one.

Well then your questioning Eamons impartiality and judgment as he is watching training and making the calls, He obviously believes Marc is the best option.

Regarding god given rights or trading on names the latter is unfair nobody has given more to the Kerry cause than the O Se's and it's only when Marc retires will Kerry fans realise how lucky we were to have them.

I take it you weren't at the league game in Tralee so..

It's a fact of life that players age - there's no shame in it - the spirit might be willing but the flesh is weak and every game I saw Marc play this year would lead me to think his race is run.

I really hope that Marc doesn't get cleaned on Sunday in my heart, but my head greatly fears it.

..and he's not the only one who needs to improve. Maher is in the same boat, for one.

Massively so.

I'd agree regarding Maher, for the life of me I cannot understand a player of his height constantly breaking down the ball.

A key difference is that Maher is what 7/8 years younger than Marc ? I think Marc's poor performances are related to his age and that it's not simply a case of being out of form. Maher is a case where is looks like a player out of form and I reckon there is a decent chance his form will come back at some stage.

There's also the fact that with Maher there is a serious lack of other options - he had an unfit partner the last day, his partner the next day is unlikely to be fully fit. If we had realistic options Maher's place would be under a lot more pressure given his form but because we haven't Maher will have to do. Marc could have been benched relatively easily with Murphy staying in the corner and Crowley keeping his place with Aidan coming in.

I'd agree regarding Maher, for the life of me I cannot understand a player of his height constantly breaking down the ball.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I take it you weren't at the league game in Tralee so..

It's a fact of life that players age - there's no shame in it - the spirit might be willing but the flesh is weak and every game I saw Marc play this year would lead me to think his race is run.

I really hope that Marc doesn't get cleaned on Sunday in my heart, but my head greatly fears it.

I was at the league game. League is league, championship is championship. Marc was not fully fit during the league and was put on a roaming half forward that day, Colm O'Driscoll, wasn't able for it and was taken off.

He wasn't great the last day either, but you are writing his obituary a tad too soon. We'll see how he goes Sunday and then re-assess.

• Advertisement

..it's a huge tactical ploy in the modern game, perhaps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement