Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I went to the double header in listowel on sunday and left with a grim view of the summer ahead for the intercounty team, if the displays by any of the county players on view was anything to go by. For Shannon rgs, Shane Enright did just about enough, made 2 or 3 bursts up the pitch but didn't lay a hand on the ball for long spells. Culhane had a decent 2nd half but I would doubt he would be able to make the step up. Kealys kick outs were ok, the goal was a scrambled effort, not sure if he could have done better for it. In the 2nd game, Maher might as well have stayed in the dressing room, totally outplayed by Shanahan. Cox tried to do it all himself up front but in his defence he was the only decent forward, with the possible exception of Noel Kennelly, playing for them. No finuge player showed up, must be an injury crisis there. For stacks I felt shane callaghan was the best player on display but stacks should have got the ball quicker into him. Ferghal McNamara will probably be also happy with his display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

D'Agger wrote: »
    Ah no I was being smart there, back to work after the BH weekend sure you know yourself, grumpy out! I'm grand now I'm home on the lazyboy! :)

Was this weekend the first round? I was half guessing it was the second for some reason, been playing in Cork the past few years and if you win the first round and lose the 2nd your out!

Also - as you're seeing - I'm not as clued in as I used to be....some could argue I was never clued in :D

You've 3 bites of the cherry actually in every grade in Cork I'm sure? Losers of the round 3 games playoff for relegation.

Kerry games just finished (except for West Kerry v Milltown) were round 1. Losers of Round 2 games over next 2 weeks are out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You've 3 bites of the cherry actually in every grade in Cork I'm sure? Losers of the round 3 games playoff for relegation.

Kerry games just finished (except for West Kerry v Milltown) were round 1. Losers of Round 2 games over next 2 weeks are out of the competition.
    Well I'm playing premier intermediate, if you win the first round you're automatically through to the 4th round, the second and third are played between the losers of the first round and the teams that come through play the teams waiting in the 4th, lose at the 4th round and you're out so winning the first round can often nearly be a disadvantage

Well I'm playing premier intermediate, if you win the first round you're automatically through to the 4th round, the second and third are played between the losers of the first round and the teams that come through play the teams waiting in the 4th, lose at the 4th round and you're out so winning the first round can often nearly be a disadvantage

I know what you mean. 2 years ago a team won the Intermediate c/ship after losing their first 2 games. (Castletownbere). Last year Grenagh lost their first game (and only scored 6 points) but ended up winning the c/ship pretty easily in the end. There are huge gaps in games (as there is in a lot of counties) and teams can be in massively different states depending on the round. Prem Intermediate is a decent enough standard if you're getting a game at that level..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Sounds like in Cork, the big advantage of a win in the first round is avoiding a slip into the relegation system. Giving teams at least 2 games is fair enough. If you miss out at the second attempt, you'll most likely get more games in the form of trying to avoid relegation to a lower tier.
    Groups can be over-rated. Lose the first 2 games in a 4 team group and you'll most likely be out of the championship. Next game is like a dead rubber or heading in the direction of relegation.

• Advertisement

Sounds like in Cork, the big advantage of a win in the first round is avoiding a slip into the relegation system. Giving teams at least 2 games is fair enough. If you miss out at the second attempt, you'll most likely get more games in the form of trying to avoid relegation to a lower tier.
    Groups can be over-rated. Lose the first 2 games in a 4 team group and you'll most likely be out of the championship. Next game is like a dead rubber or heading in the direction of relegation.

The problem in Cork is nobody gives a sh*t about the league. It's a joke of a competition. Lots of fixtures not even played each year. A club footballer in Cork could easily go through a year and play only 4/5 competitive games in a season. Utter lunacy really.
    The County League in Kerry is such a great competition and some people don't even realise it. Dublin adopted the same model and now have a properly run All county league (in football at least) which provides a guaranteed 10 or 11 or so games each year for every club team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The league is a good gauge even without county players. Know of some lower league clubs who admit their league status is a fairer reflection than their intermediate status where they lose in the first round but manage to remain at that level year after year somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

Rahillys gone back a good bit from last year but then they have lost a few key players. S Kerry made an impressive start which paved the way for a comfortable win, Crokes still the team to beat

The problem in Cork is nobody gives a sh*t about the league. It's a joke of a competition. Lots of fixtures not even played each year. A club footballer in Cork could easily go through a year and play only 4/5 competitive games in a season. Utter lunacy really.
    The County League in Kerry is such a great competition and some people don't even realise it. Dublin adopted the same model and now have a properly run All county league (in football at least) which provides a guaranteed 10 or 11 or so games each year for every club team.

True - half the problem there is the fixtures scheduling - hurling & inter county fixtures mean that games are too far apart and basically just used as sporadic, preparation games for championship.

In general though, from when I played in Kerry - the league games can be played at much closer to championship pace. My old club were division two and looking to get to division 1 the whole time. Playing in Cork now, nobody really minds the league - our last league match was in April I think, next one is in two weeks time - if it wasn't for two other teams I've been involved with so far this year I'd be losing my mind. We had a fixture put back 5 weeks due to the opposition having a member of their panel getting married - yet we couldn't get a match moved from a Monday night to later in the week on account of 3 of our starting 15 playing SFC on the Sunday.

Anyway, I don't mean to be dragging the thread OT by discussing Corks league, however it is somewhat relevant in comparing it to Kerrys I suppose!

Fairly disastrous news from Kerry camp. James O'Donoghue out for a month with a shoulder injury after training last night. Few other injuries to Moran and Johnny Buckley aswell, but JOD being out for a month is just what we didn't need. Unlikely to make it back for Munster final, which makes us even bigger underdogs...some bad year on the injury front the way things are going.:(

• Advertisement

Was that training with Kerry or the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Fairly disastrous news from Kerry camp. James O'Donoghue out for a month with a shoulder injury after training last night. Few other injuries to Moran and Johnny Buckley aswell, but JOD being out for a month is just what we didn't need. Unlikely to make it back for Munster final, which makes us even bigger underdogs...some bad year on the injury front the way things are going.:(

Damn, even if he is back he won't be right. Hope he makes a speedy recovery. I can't remember a year like it for injuries to key players.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Was that training with Kerry or the club?

Does it matter? Probably club given they have c'ship this weekend. Disaster for them aswell of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Jaysus the walking wounded..Clare in Ennis could be the shock of the championship

Does it matter? Probably club given they have c'ship this weekend. Disaster for them aswell of course.

Just wondering because the county have been doing some seriously tough training sessions and they havent been released for club training too many times

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hurlers beaten by 2 points in the CR final :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hurlers beaten by 2 points in the CR final :(

Hard luck to them. Listened to the second half on radio Kerry. They said Kerry had 15 wides. Coupled with 4 goals conceded that's a massive swing in scores to overcome with some of their key players not firing today. In hindsight they'll look back on what was a great year for them just a bridge to far today. Great progress tho. Ye'll be in the Lam McCarthy in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Devestated with todays result.

Just didn't turn up.

Didn't have the hunger, desire, or physicality.

Kildare had that in spades and deserved their win.

Its bad losing a game when the other team is better but it's awful to lose a game, that you have the players to win but they don't show up on the day.

Feel gutted for the lads. They have contested 4 out of the last 5 finals and lost 3.

Like the Mayo footballers at this stage.

Dirk Kuyt a fan of Division 4 Football in Kerry.

The Sky Sport package is having its global effect already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

DDC1990 wrote: »

Dirk Kuyt a fan of Division 4 Football in Kerry.

The Sky Sport package is having its global effect already ;)

yes just after a gun was put to his head!!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Clare and Waterford drew last night, the winner will be playing their 3rd weekend in a row when they meet us and i think that will be an advantage to them as opposed to us being in the long grass for 2 months.

given our injuries and being without our two marquee forwards, what will our team be i wonder? thank f*ck we are not playing Cork or we'd be into the qualifiers and be in right bother.

Prop Joe wrote: »

Brian Kelly
    Brendan Kealy

Aidan O Mahoney
    Marc O Sé
    Killian Young
    Jonathan Lyne
    Fionn Fitzgearld
    Jack Sherwood
    Peter Crowley
    Mark Griffin
    Paul Murphy
    Shane Enright
    Pa Kilkenny

Anthony Maher
    Bryan Sheehan

Mike Geaney
    Stephen O Brien
    Donnacha Walsh
    Paul Geaney
    Barry John Keane
    Daithi Casey
    Darran O Sullivan
    Declan O Sullivan
    Alan Fitzgearld
    Kieran O Leary

Looks like this will be the panel for the Munster Semi

I would guess this will be the 26

Kealy

Marc
    Aidan O M
    Griffin

Crowley
    Young
    Fionn

Maher
    Sheehan

Daithi Casey
    Darran
    Donnacha

Kieran O Leary
    Paul Geaney
    Declan O Sullivan

Subs
    Brian Kelly

Jonathan Lyne
    Jack Sherwood
    Paul Murphy
    Shane Enright

Mike Geaney
    Stephen O Brien
    Barry John Keane
    Alan Fitzgearld

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Kealy

Marc
    Aidan O M
    Griffin

Crowley
    Young
    Fionn

Maher
    Sheehan

Daithi Casey
    Darran
    Donnacha

Kieran O Leary
    Paul Geaney
    Declan O Sullivan

Subs
    Brian Kelly

Jonathan Lyne
    Jack Sherwood
    Paul Murphy
    Shane Enright

Mike Geaney
    Stephen O Brien
    Barry John Keane
    Alan Fitzgearld

FitzMaurice says in Irish Examiner today that he's hopeful Moran will be available for the semi but he'll have missed a lot of training. Will he risk him on the subs as Buckely will be out and he'll need options for MF ?

Paul Murphy and Stephen O Brien had very good leagues - I'd have thought that E Fitz might stick with them and see how they get on in c/ship with AOM and K O Leary on the bench.

Brian McGuire, James Walsh, David Culhane and Conor Cox are heading to the United States.

Supposedly AOM is flying in training

K O'Leary will start, but AOM won't I'd imagine. Not up to the pace at all at the momentum showing his age.

Murphy is light, but really performing well, and though i'm not sure how he played in the game, Rathmore beat Crokes and kept the Crokes to only a few points from play which is impressive in its own right.

EDIT: Prop Joe, I've heard the opposite about AOM, that's gas! I heard he struggled mightily in Portugal. Shows you can take a lot of what you hear with a pinch of salt these days.

Supposedly AOM is flying in training
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    K O'Leary will start, but AOM won't I'd imagine. Not up to the pace at all at the momentm showing his age.

So which one of you is full of shít?? :pac:

Well he wiped out Daithi Casey in County Championship a few weeks ago

So which one of you is full of shít?? :pac:
    My source is a tertiary source, so I cannot vouch for its reliability, not that I was intentionally putting out false information D'Agger.

What I heard was that he struggled mightily in Portugal, and that his age was showing.

As I said, I didn't see the Rathmore v Crokes game but the fact that Crokes were held to a low yield from play would be positives in Murphy/AOM's favour.
    Well he wiped out Daithi Casey in County Championship a few weeks ago

That's both good and bad news so. I have seriously high hopes for Casey, but that doesn't bode well. Where did he play, Centre Back?

You couldn't have Griffin at Corner Back IMO. I'd go with Griffin at Full Back or not at all TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It would be crazy to drop Paul Murphy after the league he had.

• Advertisement

Kealy

Marc
    Aidan O M
    Griffin

Crowley
    Young
    Fionn

Maher
    Sheehan

Daithi Casey
    Darran
    Donnacha

Kieran O Leary
    Paul Geaney
    Declan O Sullivan

Subs
    Brian Kelly

Jonathan Lyne
    Jack Sherwood
    Paul Murphy
    Shane Enright

Mike Geaney
    Stephen O Brien
    Barry John Keane
    Alan Fitzgearld

If that team DOES start I wouldn't be too happy.

Not aware of how anyone is going in training but based on what I've seen so far this year I'd be going with:

Kelly

Murphy
    Griffin
    Fionn Fitz

Crowley
    Marc
    Young/Enright..depends on opposition. Fionn could switch with Enright.

Sheehan
    Moran (if fit)

Darran
    Casey
    Donnacha

O'Brien
    Declan
    Paul Geaney

Culhane and Cox were both going well enough, so disappointed they won't be around. The bench is beginning to look weaker by the day.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement