Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think you misread it and it meant if you add the wages of 25 fourtynine year olds together you get that wage, they're actually averaging €31.60 each per week.

(I'm in that bracket and I have no problem believing this to be the average)

Errr? We aren't Moldova.
    How did you come to the conslusion that the average wage per person in that bracket earns 31.60e per week?
    By your calculations that means the average monthly salary in that bracket is 126,4e and thats 1.516,8e per year.
    And you think the OP misread it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm 28 and I'd be near the upper end in terms of earnings among my friends in my age group, who are all degree educated, and I'm not on that. But then that age grouping spans 24 years. I'd have to assume I'll be earning more money in, say, 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

leonidas83 wrote: »

Without the private sector, there is no public sector

And without the Public Sector there is no Private Sector, so what exactly is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ok, this is gonna take a bit of explaining. You are better off now, even though your wages are down 66%. I'm down about 25% and it's killing me!

I had a mortgage, a massive car loan, three figure phone bill and I pissed a fortune up against the wall.

Now house is payed for, pay for cars up front, phone bill is low two figures and I only piss a small fortune against the wall. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I think you misread it and it meant if you add the wages of 25 fourtynine year olds together you get that wage, they're actually averaging €31.60 each per week.

(I'm in that bracket and I have no problem believing this to be the average)
    bear1 wrote: »
    Errr? We aren't Moldova.
    How did you come to the conslusion that the average wage per person in that bracket earns 31.60e per week?
    By your calculations that means the average monthly salary in that bracket is 126,4e and thats 1.516,8e per year.
    And you think the OP misread it?

In Moldova would they get jokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I don't see what the big deal is, my take home pay is about twice that.

I get paid monthly but...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd have trouble convincing my boss to pay me a wage that high and I'm self employed.

This is why I don't read any papers anymore, I just don't trust them at all.

Actually the more I think about it... I expect there are plenty of people under, say 35, who are on about what I'm on. And I'd find it easy to believe that there are about the same number of people over 40 who are on (€790pw + (€790 - [my take home])). So it doesn't sound that mad after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

In Moldova would they get jokes?

My mistake, thought it was serious. Having a crappy day :/
    Carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

i would like to see the private sector average

I'm public sector and in that age bracket. I take home about a fifth less than the average given. There must be people on incredible salaries pushing the average up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Why anyone thinks 63K is a huge wage for someone with 10+ years of experience is beyond me.

Granted if the same average was given for a 25-30 or even 25-35 age bracket I would be suspicous but as it is, I am not in any way surprised.

Edit: Article is a bit misleading with its use of 'Disposable income'. 790E a week after taxes but before other necessary bills such as food, internet etc. is not the same as truly disposable income to my mind. That said I'm not aware of the official definition, if such a definition exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

leonidas83 wrote: »
    There's plenty of people in there doing f**K all though on nice salaries, eating up a large part of the budget, contributing to the high taxes in this country which stunt investment.
    I would love to hear who you think is doing nothing in the public sector? We'll exclude politicians as they are not quite civil servants the same way a MD of a private company isn't the same as a paye worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That is an utterly ludicrous age range to use for a sample like this, starting as it does with youngsters barely out of college and going all the way to jaded oul' war-horses who've been round the block a few times. An average coming out of that is about as informative as tits on a bull, and not quite as useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I haven't earned that much in Ireland since the boom years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

vamos! wrote: »
    I'm public sector and in that age bracket. I take home about a fifth less than the average given. There must be people on incredible salaries pushing the average up.

But you being a fifth under the average only needs one person a fith above the average to balance it and so on, no incredible salry required to balance you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ongarboy wrote: »
    Surely this can't be correct per the Indo article today. The average take home disposable income after tax/prsi is paid is €790 per week for Irish workers aged between 25 and 49. That would mean their gross wage (for a single person) would have to be €63,000 a year. Are average salaries really that high for that age bracket?? The same survey says 16-24 year olds take home €418. Who says Ireland is suffering??!!

Yes....and if you stuck your head in the oven and your feet in the freezer on AVERAGE you'll be comfortable.....

Actually the more I think about it... I expect there are plenty of people under, say 35, who are on about what I'm on. And I'd find it easy to believe that there are about the same number of people over 40 who are on (€790pw + (€790 - [my take home])). So it doesn't sound that mad after all.
    A lot of people I know simply can't find work, but I suppose they don't make the list. With so many people desperate for work I don't see why wages are so high, a lot of places went on 3 day weeks and reduced wages across the board.

That the average wage during a recession is so high seems incredible to me. Maybe it's a city country divide and everyone in Dublin is in a high wage job that can counter all the people in the country that can't get work. I'd like to see where they got their information from.

wexie wrote: »
    Yes....and if you stuck your head in the oven and your feet in the freezer on AVERAGE you'll be comfortable.....

Only if the oven temperature was set to ~57°C.

</pedant>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FearDark wrote: »
    I haven't earned that much in Ireland since the boom years.

+1

Anybody I know is just glad to have a bit of work never mind bringing in €790 a week after tax.

With record unemployment and the sham of Jobbridge these figures are very misleading,they must have taken a sample from a certain demographic and included the wages of very high earners in banking etc. in order to arrive at these figures.

Only the other evening Matt Cooper was discussing the fact that highly qualified graduates were struggling to attain earnings of €20k a year.

ScumLord wrote: »
    A lot of people I know simply can't find work, but I suppose they don't make the list. With so many people desperate for work I don't see why wages are so high, a lot of places went on 3 day weeks and reduced wages across the board.

That the average wage during a recession is so high seems incredible to me. Maybe it's a city country divide and everyone in Dublin is in a high wage job that can counter all the people in the country that can't get work. I'd like to see where they got their information from.

Yeah that's often a problem with these types of articles, they don't provide any sort of breakdown of the data to allow you to take real meaning from it.

To clarify, I am in Dublin. Salaries are higher I have no doubt, but keeping a roof over your head is so ridiculously expensive that it doesn't translate to a better standard of living.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

wexie wrote: »
    On average, Irish people have less than two legs

To clarify, I am in Dublin. Salaries are higher I have no doubt, but keeping a roof over your head is so ridiculously expensive that it doesn't translate to a better standard of living.
    It's almost the exact opposite in the country, jobs are hard to come by but the place is polluted with houses. If you don't mind living in the arse end of nowhere you can get yourself a fine 6 bedroom house that some builder built for just himself to live in.

To give people an idea of why this doesn't mean people have much more money than the average industrial wage

€35k pay income tax of 7330.80= net salary 27669.20 or 20.95% tax

€65k pay income tax of 22930.80=net salary 42069.20 or 35.28% tax

so somebody getting paid 85% more before tax but actually only get 34.23% higher net income

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ongarboy wrote: »
    The average take home disposable income after tax/prsi is paid is €790 per week for Irish workers aged between 25 and 49.

Well I guess after my 5 years in college and 10 years in the work place, I am well below the average wage if that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Its obviosuly not very accurate, because they never asked me - and I only take home about €160 a week, before that it was a hundred, (I'm 20, and I seriously don't see how people could ever live off the dole.. the money is shocking)

I must say though, I do absolutely adore the first line of the article.
    Research has found that older people own more property and have higher savings than younger people.

First rate research there guys, there's so much we wouldn't know if it wasn't for researchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I would love 790 a week! I'm 30 and I get 510. Pre recession I earned 37k a year, Was this survey done in D4!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I must say though, I do absolutely adore the first line of the article.

First rate research there guys, there's so much we wouldn't know if it wasn't for researchers!

I bet they are older too.

I would love 790 a week! I'm 30 and I get 510. Pre recession I earned 37k a year, Was this survey done in D4!
    It seems more like they mixed us up with a nordic country.

• Advertisement

The Snipe wrote: »
    Its obviosuly not very accurate, because they never asked me - and I only take home about €160 a week, before that it was a hundred, (I'm 20, and I seriously don't see how people could ever live off the dole.. the money is shocking)
    When your rent is paid for and there are a couple of people getting it and they have children all the payments add up to a relatively comfortable income.

The article is about salaries which you aren't on so you wouldn't be counted anyway.

Advertisement