Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's proper dirty if you're the one who has to clean out the fryer! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Hootanany wrote: »
    What's dirty style:)

You fry 'em up as normal, take them out a minute early, toss them in the sauce and put them back in the frier for a minute. They are not as hot, but they are packed full of flavour and extra crispy.

As vibe suggested - its a nightmare to clean up. Only something you would order when out or make if you had guests over.

So good, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Had good proper buffalo wings in GBK on Saturday, straightforward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

AineM8 wrote: »
    They're so easy to make!!!

I had them over in America, they're called buffalo wings.

Franks Hot sauce is the key! They sell it at Dunnes Stores for the large bottles and tesco for the smaller ones. =D

http://www.simplyrecipes.com always has great receipes and also foodnetwork has a lot of episodes revolving around those amazing wings!

Did you even read the original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw it in tescos and I am pretty sure it was a UK market bottle, or EU. The ones in dunnes & supervalu that I saw were the american style nutritional information labels.

The tesco one was much smaller and expensive per ml.

However checking online now tesco appears to have the regular size.

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce Original 354Ml
    €2.36 (€6.67/l

&

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce 354Ml Buffalo Wing
    €2.91 (€8.23/l

saying it is "25% free", and at the same time" SAVE 25%
    valid until 21/5/2013"

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263886118

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Hootanany wrote: »
    Don't forget the cream cheese guys & gals

Blue cheese sauce and some celery :D

AineM8 wrote: »
    They're so easy to make!!!

I had them over in America, they're called buffalo wings.

Franks Hot sauce is the key! They sell it at Dunnes Stores for the large bottles and tesco for the smaller ones. =D

http://www.simplyrecipes.com always has great receipes and also foodnetwork has a lot of episodes revolving around those amazing wings!
    in other news, darth vader is actually luke skywalkers dad! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

vibe666 wrote: »
    in other news, darth vader is actually luke skywalkers dad! :eek:

What???

(Can't believe you forgot to add a 'spoiler alert') ;)

the thread that keeps on giving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It couldn't be simpler.

1. Wings, dusted in flour and refrigerated for an hour or so.
    2. Cook wings by either deep-frying or baking them.
    3. Melt a couple of dessertspoons of butter or margarine in a small pot.
    4. Stir in Frank's Red Hot Original til well combined. Taste and adjust ratio of butter to Frank's if needed.
    5. Optional: add a dash of red wine vinegar.
    6. Toss cooked wings in sauce.
    7. Eat.

Or to add to Point 5:
    5. Optional: add a dash of this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0HP9vxn-6Z_VugdSTq-9ZqDuSzhtCWgAH25lsF1GPZQeaPCxSww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Never saw the attraction to these.

Pissy vinegary taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Never saw the attraction to these.

Pissy vinegary taste.

Really? This is your contribution?

I could go on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Why bother, the majority reading this thread won't care, i imagine.

Why bother, the majority reading this thread won't care, i imagine.

Hahaha too true.

But for anyone that shares my aversion to vinegary sauces, a chefy friend of mine suggested adding a haep of brown sugar to the mix to balance out the vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Pissy vinegary taste.

Are you Bear Grylls?:D

Must try that brown sugar method!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJTasty

The secret sauce is Franks Hot Wings sauce available in Dunnes and Tescos. This combined with heaps of butter and vinegar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

this is a long thread I suppose :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

DJTasty wrote: »
    The secret sauce is Franks Hot Wings sauce available in Dunnes and Tescos. This combined with heaps of butter and vinegar.

The title of this thread includes the instruction to read the first post, which explains that the mystery of the secret sauce was solved quite some time ago ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1431351&postcount=1

also, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

pretty sure that isn't the first time this has been revealed on the thread either! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Hi,

Can someone post the URL / link to the answer pls.

I can't read 46 pages to find it,

Much appreciated / I'm on a small smart
    Phone

worded wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone post the URL / link to the answer pls.

I can't read 46 pages to find it,

Much appreciated / I'm on a small smart
    Phone
    Frank's hot sauce and butter, simple as that.

start with equal amounts and then adjust to your own taste.

for more detail, you'll have to read the thread as there's a dozen different ways to do it and it's very much down to personal preference.

Do you know the secret to Eddie Rockets secret sauce by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jjtara

Hi
    I worked in the Elephant and Castle in the first couple of years they were in Dublin and I have gone through the posts and I am very sure no one has figured out the recipe.

I am not going to give it, that would be unfair and against their policies, their main ingredient comes on a full pallet from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jjtara wrote: »
    Hi
    I worked in the Elephant and Castle in the first couple of years they were in Dublin and I have gone through the posts and I am very sure no one has figured out the recipe.

I am not going to give it, that would be unfair and against their policies, their main ingredient comes on a full pallet from the states.
    Did you go through all the posts, or just the first page? This thread is 10 years old. Quite a few posts, you'd easily miss the good stuff.
    It's was suggested years ago that it was Franks Hot sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Its hilarious I'm still following this thread.
    Its franks. Same as the buffalo wings everywhere else. Just took a while for franks to enter the market here.

E&C has gone down in quality hugely over the years. I used to bring people there for wings all the time but now I know they'll get the smallest wing flats and drummettes ever. When E&C address that I might go back but I doubt it since most templebar food places are rubbish these days. Even zaytoon is cutting corners. Sad, but that's what happens when you have an area dedicated to pissheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

jjtara wrote: »

That's ok. The standard recipe here is actually nicer.

I first tried them 5 years ago in E&C so maybe I missed their "nice" era. They were still nice but using the recipe here, even with the cheapest Tesco wings, are superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

That's ok. The standard recipe here is actually nicer.

I first tried them 5 years ago in E&C so maybe I missed their "nice" era. They were still nice but using the recipe here, even with the cheapest Tesco wings, are superior.

Tesco wings are 3 quid too. E&C is a ripoff.

The free range wings from Fallon & Byrne aren't extortionate and are really meaty

• Advertisement

last time I was in E&C for wings (admittedly a few years ago) you'd swear they used sparrow wings, they were tiny, the meat was dry like they'd been re-fried and no meat on them at all.

never been back since, but being part of this thread and helping to tweak the recipe and cooking method, with home cooking i've got way past the level of any wings i've had anywhere else, and it was always my go-to starter any time we ate out and anyone else can read up on what's here and how it's evolved over the years and make their own wings far batter than E&C or anywhere else out there and at this point, even if it turns out that E&C don't use franks, that's their loss, not ours. ;)

Advertisement