Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowley

• 29-05-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll preface this by saying it is nothing personal or party affiliated, rather a sense of trying to understand. Is it really the case that because this gentleman is in a wheelchair he gets to enjoy a soft ride. Can anybody explain the popularity of this man? He is now returned for a fifth straight time in a row. I have never seen him on tv or heard him on radio articulating what it is he is working on at EU level on behalf of the people who elected him. I saw a recent report that listed him as having one of the poorest attendance records in the parliament. This may be allied to his illness but if he is ill for a lot of the time why is he holding down a seat?

Like I said at the outset this is not a personal attack. I’m just curious if there is something more to it than a sympathy vote. The FF Director of Elections can’t even explain it, putting it purely down to a personal vote as distinct from any meaningful policy. If this is the basis on which we elect our politicians than we deserve everything we get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've wondered the same. That fact he's also Fianna Fail just adds to my wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Me three, I'm afraid. The most I seem to be able to get out of people who vote for him is "well he's just zis guy, you know?", which hasn't really helped. Again, nothing against him, not trying to be offensive, but...what's the story?

mystified,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Me three, I'm afraid. The most I seem to be able to get out of people who vote for him is "well he's just zis guy, you know?", which hasn't really helped. Again, nothing against him, not trying to be offensive, but...what's the story?

mystified,
    Scofflaw

Well, he's in a wheelchair because, as a youngster, he fell through a roof and badly injured his spine. But to me he's the most popular man in a wheelchair in this fair land, judging by the number of votes he gets. But try as I might, I cannot come to no other conclusion, except to think he does SFA in the Euro Parliament, which is even more mystifying as to why he's so popular:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I just find it disingenuous that he should be somehow pardoned from the most basic requirements of an elected politician, ie to articulate his policy position just because he happens to be incapacitated.

Wolfgang Schäuble, although with much greater responsibilities, also happens to be in a wheelchair yet I don't see him being above questioning or enjoying a soft ride as a result of his circumstances. I don't think he would want it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Phew. I'm not alone. The missus voted for him because 'he seems nice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I think the reason for his popularity is 4 fold. Firstly he is essentially a Corkonian and has never had to run outside of his home as Cork has always remained in the south/Munster constituency unlike some other candidates whose power base is forever being shifted so that's an immediate advantage. Secondly he has the political backing of Fianna Fail for whom Munster has been a traditional stronghold. Third he has the political dynasty thing going on. His father was a TD for Cork between the 60s and 80s. And fourthly he does pick up a certain amount of the sympathy vote

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Phew. I'm not alone. The missus voted for him because 'he seems nice'.

I asked some Cork friends about him recently and got the generic 'he does a lot for the area' type answer. He has a terrible attendance record seemingly so not quite sure what exactly he is doing. Perhaps he's opening new GAA facilities or something.

dpofloinn wrote: »
    I think the reason for his popularity is 4 fold. Firstly he is essentially a Corkonian and has never had to run outside of his home as Cork has always remained in the south/Munster constituency unlike some other candidates whose power base is forever being shifted so that's an immediate advantage. Secondly he has the political backing of Fianna Fail for whom Munster has been a traditional stronghold. Third he has the political dynasty thing going on. His father was a TD for Cork between the 60s and 80s. And fourthly he does pick up a certain amount of the sympathy vote

The perfect storm for a soft ticket. The constituency was extended this time round yet he still topped the poll on the back of what deliverables? Is there really such a dearth of alternatives that people will just default to the sitting MEP?

I find it unacceptable that he is returned election after election to a well paying position, yet he never deems it appropriate to justify his standing. This simply wouldn't happen in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Aidric wrote: »
    I just find it disingenuous that he should be somehow pardoned from the most basic requirements of an elected politician, ie to articulate his policy position just because he happens to be incapacitated.

it just shows how PC we have become...it's a sad truth

I am sure the man is genuine and sought to help people etc but the truth is he has been so ill in recent years that he has not been in EU for a couple of years....yet this is never reported or commented upon....becuase you cannot be seen to speak ill of a disabled person.

Riskymove wrote: »
    I am sure the man is genuine and sought to help people etc but the truth is he has been so ill in recent years that he has not been in EU for a couple of years....yet this is never reported or commented upon....becuase you cannot be seen to speak ill of a disabled person.

I believe he is on the record as saying he wants to stand for the Presidency next time round. Will his record in Europe then be open for debate or will it be another whitewash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

For a man we only hear about for 3 weeks every 5 years he certainly is popular. Perhaps that is the key. He got elected years ago when there was a feel good factor around Fianna Fáil and Gift Grub Bertie. He was also the smiling happy lad in a wheelchair so he was both memorable and there was a sympathy factor. Since then he has said and done nothing in national politics. No one knows what he thinks or stands for. He barely turns up in the parliament so he can't vote on anything controversial. He didn't get tarnished in the whole Fianna Fáil collapse because he literally had done nothing, absolutely completely utterly nothing during the collapse. So basically this was his fifth election (I think) and in reality he has only been in the public eye for 15 or 20 weeks in those 20years. He is still in the honeymoon stage of his political career. It really is baffling. I can't think of anyone else who would get away with such a soft ride from the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ironically even the title of this thread lets him off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

meglome wrote: »
    I've wondered the same. That fact he's also Fianna Fail just adds to my wonder.
    He also announced during the eleection that he will put his name forward as presidential candidate when Darby O'Higgins term is over. He could at least get a decent haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭AMCCORK

Yes I've been thinking the very same and so far on this thread not one reason to vote for him. I was shocked he topped the poll again.

You know, if he's a hard constituency worker - by which I mean he works his constituency hard - that's going to count for a hell of a lot, with a massive bonus from being in a wheelchair. If he shows up at local things, meets people, people will give him a lot of extra kudos because it's physically more difficult from him to do so. And just showing up face to face is an enormous thing in Irish politics.

So, given it's a mystery to me, because nothing shows up on the radar, I have to think of things that won't show up from a distance, and that's the one that comes to mind.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I reckon it's the sympathy vote and his smile appears wholesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I live in his locality and dont think in twenty years I've ever seen him about.
    :confused:

This thread has only confirmed my fears. It's all very well shouting from the sidelines for change but when the electorate returns candidates such as Mr Crowley then the shouts start to ring hollow.

Unfortunately if he stands for Presidential election I can see the byline as 'proudly represented his country for 20 years as an MEP in the European parliament' without any achievements to merit such a statement.

I live in his locality and dont think in twenty years I've ever seen him about.
    :confused:

I'd need a proper sample, though, because I've lived in DSE for (in aggregate) (too) many years in various places, and not once have I been canvassed or approached by even so much as a council candidate.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its not that he's in a wheelchair, he couldn't travel for much of his last term and was hospital for nearly a year, he's popular becuase he is a Crowley, his dad was a mate of Haughey and Albert and got him his Senate seat as a favour and now he's Corks own, so Cork votes for him

• Advertisement

its not that he's in a wheelchair, he couldn't travel for much of his last term and was hospital for nearly a year, he's popular becuase he is a Crowley his dad was a mate of Haughey and Albert and got him his Senate seat and now he's Corks own so Cork votes for him

Depressing reading. David McSavage nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Just seen that he voted to restrict the internet with the dreaded copyright law Article 13 today...after being a ghost in the parliment not showing up for any vote for years this is the first action I have seen from him personally.

I'm not impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

shanered wrote: »
    Just seen that he voted to restrict the internet with the dreaded copyright law Article 13 today...after being a ghost in the parliment not showing up for any vote for years this is the first action I have seen from him personally.

I'm not impressed...

Where exactly did you see that?

I saw that he abstained. (presumably because he wasn't there.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

shanered wrote: »

I'm not impressed...

Pattern for the last decade or more:

Get elected by the good people of Cork.
    Disappear for 3 years due to "illness".
    Re-appear suddenly a year before the election.
    Vote regularly for one year. Say all is good.
    Run for re-election saying all the ill health is behind him.
    Disappear for 3 years due to "illness".
    Re-appear suddenly a year before the election.
    Vote regularly for one year. Say all is good.
    Run for re-election saying all the ill health is behind him.
    Disappear for 3 years due to "illness"
    Re-appear suddenly a year before the election........

Doesn't take a genius to predict the next 5 year pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Is this carry on not similiar to David Norris being a Senator for years and years .........and being off on sick pay from his employed position yet being able to be a very vociferous man in the Seanad. I'm sure there are many more politicians out there who only turn up for the pay day (or for the campaign of 3-4 weeks pre election that leads to the grand payday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,075 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He’s already successfully worked the system - two terms where he has sat at home and failed to represent those who voted for him. He shouldn’t have run in 2014 considering he has yet to cast a single vote since that election.

If he emerges to run next time out hopefully his opponents call out his record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

All Fine Gael MEPs voted in favour (Sean Kelly, Brian Hayes , Deirdre Clune) except Mairead McGuinness she abstain but would've been more than likely in favour if this passed and so far it has not thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I stand corrected, I don't think he voted for it, he did what he always has done and just didn't turn up...my bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He’s already successfully worked the system - two terms where he has sat at home and failed to represent those who voted for him. He shouldn’t have run in 2014 considering he has yet to cast a single vote since that election.

If he emerges to run next time out hopefully his opponents call out his record.

At home? He can hardly leave the hospital.
    Still don't think he should be running though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He'd have to run as an Independent, its not even clear if FF actually let him back in after he joined a rival grouping and they certain't won't select him.

Advertisement