Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brian Crowley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

ethical wrote: »
    Is this carry on not similiar to David Norris being a Senator for years and years .........and being off on sick pay from his employed position yet being able to be a very vociferous man in the Seanad. I'm sure there are many more politicians out there who only turn up for the pay day (or for the campaign of 3-4 weeks pre election that leads to the grand payday!)

Have you more information on David Norris?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Have you more information on David Norris?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/david-norris-hepatitis-led-to-disability-payments-26778949.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/norris-got-tcd-disability-pay-1.884724

Plenty out there about his disability payments, but then he says that people on social welfare shouldn't be allowed buy drink.

http://www.thejournal.ie/david-norris-welfare-drink-2496750-Dec2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You know, I never actually knew he was in a wheelchair!

Only thing I know about him is that he rarely actually attends, not sure why he keeps getting back in and wasn't there talk of him standing down last year due to ill health or something?

As I said, I know practically nothing of the man and have not looked beyond those snippets that I must have gleaned from a newspaper at some point

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Aidric wrote:
    I’ll preface this by saying it is nothing personal or party affiliated, rather a sense of trying to understand. Is it really the case that because this gentleman is in a wheelchair he gets to enjoy a soft ride. Can anybody explain the popularity of this man? He is now returned for a fifth straight time in a row. I have never seen him on tv or heard him on radio articulating what it is he is working on at EU level on behalf of the people who elected him. I saw a recent report that listed him as having one of the poorest attendance records in the parliament. This may be allied to his illness but if he is ill for a lot of the time why is he holding down a seat?

I forgot about this fellow so thanks for the reminder. How did you find out about his attendànce record? Are there limits to absences for politicians? I mean can a TD or MEP be absent for large chunks without any consequence? E.g. dock pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

His performance hasn't gone unnoticed at a European level:

https://www.politico.eu/list/20-meps-2018-who-matter-for-the-wrong-reasons/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

bobbyss wrote: »
    I forgot about this fellow so thanks for the reminder. How did you find out about his attendà nce record? Are there limits to absences for politicians? I mean can a TD or MEP be absent for large chunks without any consequence? E.g. dock pay?

There is no consequences at a european level, he is still receiving his full payslip and unexplainedly is apparently also claiming expenses. Dont forget he will also be entitled to a pension which is another disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

VinLieger wrote:
    There is no consequences at a european level, he is still receiving his full payslip and unexplainedly is apparently also claiming expenses. Dont forget he will also be entitled to a pension which is another disgrace

I see. How the h ell is that happening? Expenses? When was the last statement from him about all this? You never hear anything about these MEPs for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

He's not quite stepping down, he just won't contest the next election:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brian-crowley-is-expected-to-step-down-from-european-parliament-1.3760462

"Ireland South MEP (54) likely to announce end of Brussels career on health grounds"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brian-crowley-is-expected-to-step-down-from-european-parliament-1.3760462

"Ireland South MEP (54) likely to announce end of Brussels career on health grounds"

Ultimately it is long overdue. He didn't cast a vote in years, he was obviously compromised by poor health but should have allowed a successor to actively represent the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He hasn't been to Brussels in nearly a decade, calling it the end of his Brussels career is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

His performance hasn't gone unnoticed at a European level:

https://www.politico.eu/list/20-meps-2018-who-matter-for-the-wrong-reasons/

Main thing I take from that politico article is there's an MEP who looks like the Italian Bertie Ahern https://www.politico.eu/list/20-meps-2018-who-matter-for-the-wrong-reasons/nicola-caputo/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

Is he not running on medical grounds or because he wasnt going to get the nomination
    Fianna Fáil senior figures expressed doubt that Mr Crowley would have got the party nomination had he sought it.

“I would think he would find it tough enough to command sufficient support at convention to get the nod,” said one source, who said he was surprised by Mr Crowley’s decision to step down given the invite to the press conference made extensive mention of his impressive record as a vote getter.

No appetite
    A second Fianna Fáil source said he didn’t believe there was “any great appetite within the party for Brian to run”.

“I don’t think Brian could credibly go forward for us as a candidate, but everything we are hearing is that he is not going to go forward so the issue is unlikely to arise,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not from cork but I was amazed ppl voted for this chancer.

Have utmost sympathy for his private issues but Good to see the back of him now and cork and Ireland south can get an MEP who at least is able to go to the parliament and represent his voters.

It’s a fairly basic ask of an elected MEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

AFAIR, the only thing that he has done since the last election is to completely go against the wishes of FF (who had just spent half a million euro or something on his reelection) to join the ECR group.

His reasoning? To ensure that his staff in Brussels held on to their jobs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not from cork but I was amazed ppl voted for this chancer.
    Chancer?
    A man in a wheelchair who fought hard to work for years.
    Did you ever think that he might be one of those glass half full people who never gave up battling and believed he would make a full recovery.
    It's finally got to the stage where it's clear it's not going to happen and he has accepted that and is moving on.
    I don't know the guy but I admired him for many years. Many people in his situation basically don't ever try and do much after they lose the power to walk, he did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

eagle eye wrote: »
    Chancer?
    Did you ever think that he might be one of those glass half full people who never gave up battling and believed he would make a full recovery.
    It's finally got to the stage where it's clear it's not going to happen and he has accepted that and is moving on.
    I don't know the guy but I admired him for many years. Many people in his situation basically don't ever try and do much after they lose the power to walk, he did.

Its pretty obvious that his situation wasn't going to improve enough to let him return to actually do the job for some time now - possibly going back to before the 2014 election. Even if not he should have resigned when it did become apparent, and allowed his replacement to take the role and actually do the job.

L1011 wrote:
    Its pretty obvious that his situation wasn't going to improve enough to let him return to actually do the job for some time now - possibly going back to before the 2014 election. Even if not he should have resigned when it did become apparent, and allowed his replacement to take the role and actually do the job.
    A man who lost the power to walk and battled back from that isn't going to give up very easily.
    How do you know that it was clear back then that he wasn't going to recover?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What part of public representative was so hard for Brian and his followers to understand?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Chancer?
    If he was a woman would he have been worthy of a vote?
    If he was gay would that have been a reason to vote for him?
    If he was a traveller would that have been a reason to vote for him?
    Why then should he be considered worthy of a vote simply because he is disabled? Surely his ability to do the job and represent his constituents is what is important?

Why then should he be considered worthy of a vote simply because he is disabled? Surely his ability to do the job and represent his constituents is what is important?
    That's on the electorate though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's on the electorate though.
    You described him as "A man in a wheelchair who fought hard to work for years" as if to excuse someone in a wheelchair doing a shíte job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

By clinging to the position for 10+ years when clearly either unfit or uninterested he has denied the Irish people a voice in Europe during arguably the most important decade of our membership of the EU. His retirement is long overdue. I hope they dock 10 years off his pensionable service.

You described him as "A man in a wheelchair who fought hard to work for years" as if to excuse someone in a wheelchair doing a shíte job
    I'm saying that the man is a fighter, someone to be admired. It's clear the reason he has not done a good job is due to ill health.
    It's unfortunate but I think he must have believed he was going to beat whatever his health issues were. He has now finally accepted that he cannot go on. I feel sorry for him.
    He was a beacon of light to many for a lot of years. He showed people who became disabled that they could still be successful. He made people who were in full health realise they could be so much better and do so much more.
    It's very disingenuous and uncaring to just simply say he did a bad job. He did a good job before ill-health got in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'm saying that the man is a fighter, someone to be admired. It's clear the reason he has not done a good job is due to ill health.
    It's unfortunate but I think he must have believed he was going to beat whatever his health issues were. He has now finally accepted that he cannot go on. I feel sorry for him.
    He was a beacon of light to many for a lot of years. He showed people who became disabled that they could still be successful. He made people who were in full health realise they could be so much better and do so much more.
    It's very disingenuous and uncaring to just simply say he did a bad job. He did a good job before ill-health got in the way.

He did a good job before he did a bad job you're saying?

So you're saying he did a bad job?

PCeeeee wrote:
    So you're saying he did a bad job?
    He didn't do a bad job, he didn't do the job due to illness obviously.
    Do you support any particular politically party?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

He didn't do a bad job, he didn't do the job due to illness obviously.
    Do you support any particular politically party?

I'm sorry eagle eye. Not doing the job is effectively doing a bad job. Try doing it at your job and see how it works

I have no intention of answering that, if my comments can't stand on their own logic then point it out. My political leanings have no part in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

touts wrote: »
    By clinging to the position for 10+ years when clearly either unfit or uninterested he has denied the Irish people a voice in Europe during arguably the most important decade of our membership of the EU. His retirement is long overdue. I hope they dock 10 years off his pensionable service.

They won't and you know they won't. No point being vindictive here. The people voting for him last time had all the info on the situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A man who lost the power to walk and battled back from that isn't going to give up very easily.
    How do you know that it was clear back then that he wasn't going to recover?

It didn't just become clear this week when he announced he wouldn't run again

Even if it suddenly had, he should be resigning immediately to allow his replacement to actually do some work.

PCeeeee wrote:
    I have no intention of answering that, if my comments can't stand on their own logic then point it out. My political leanings have no part in this.
    You won't answer because it will show you have an agenda I presume.
    I don't support any party, I despise them all equally.
    I'm done conversing with you about Brian Crowley.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote:
    Even if it suddenly had, he should be resigning immediately to allow his replacement to actually do some work.
    Do you follow a political party?

Advertisement