Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Chartered Engineer 2016

13468914

Comments



  • Ah, at least your still in the running.

    The interview was tough (But fair), and TBH I'll be pleasantly surprised if I gain accreditation base on the interview.

    Ah, sorry to hear it didn't go well for you.
    Do you mind me asking why, or if you have any advice for us awaiting interview stage.

    Have to say I'm dreading that part.




  • Ah, at least your still in the running.

    The interview was tough (But fair), and TBH I'll be pleasantly surprised if I gain accreditation base on the interview.

    Ah, sorry to hear it didn't go well for you.
    Do you mind me asking why, or if you have any advice for us awaiting interview stage.

    Have to say I'm dreading that part.




  • My best advice is to know your report, especially any opinions in your essays. you will be brought to task on those!

    Dont panic, remember that you could have absolutely anybody interviewing you , and we all have different experiences, interests and different pet hates- so no matter how much preparation you do, you may get someone who has a passion for something you only know a small amount about.

    Reason i felt it wasn't great, was i felt i said i didn't know a bit too often! That and i was shot with nerves for my presentation.
    ( I would highly recommend that if you don't know the answer say so, or explain what you do know)

    My career has suffered massively as a result of the recession, so my early experience was the area that they focused on ( and where i attained most of my responsible experience)

    THe best advice i was given was to remember that they want to pass you, and they have to back up why you don't pass. I would recommend that, if you have the option open to you to get a chartered professional in your field but unfamiliar with you personally to read your report and question you!

    hope you get some positive advice from this and the best of luck!




  • My best advice is to know your report, especially any opinions in your essays. you will be brought to task on those!

    Dont panic, remember that you could have absolutely anybody interviewing you , and we all have different experiences, interests and different pet hates- so no matter how much preparation you do, you may get someone who has a passion for something you only know a small amount about.

    Reason i felt it wasn't great, was i felt i said i didn't know a bit too often! That and i was shot with nerves for my presentation.
    ( I would highly recommend that if you don't know the answer say so, or explain what you do know)

    My career has suffered massively as a result of the recession, so my early experience was the area that they focused on ( and where i attained most of my responsible experience)

    THe best advice i was given was to remember that they want to pass you, and they have to back up why you don't pass. I would recommend that, if you have the option open to you to get a chartered professional in your field but unfamiliar with you personally to read your report and question you!

    hope you get some positive advice from this and the best of luck!

    Really helpful advice. Many thanks from those of us still waiting. And best of luck!!!!!

    One last question, what sort of notice did you get prior to the interview?




  • My best advice is to know your report, especially any opinions in your essays. you will be brought to task on those!

    Dont panic, remember that you could have absolutely anybody interviewing you , and we all have different experiences, interests and different pet hates- so no matter how much preparation you do, you may get someone who has a passion for something you only know a small amount about.

    Reason i felt it wasn't great, was i felt i said i didn't know a bit too often! That and i was shot with nerves for my presentation.
    ( I would highly recommend that if you don't know the answer say so, or explain what you do know)

    My career has suffered massively as a result of the recession, so my early experience was the area that they focused on ( and where i attained most of my responsible experience)

    THe best advice i was given was to remember that they want to pass you, and they have to back up why you don't pass. I would recommend that, if you have the option open to you to get a chartered professional in your field but unfamiliar with you personally to read your report and question you!

    hope you get some positive advice from this and the best of luck!

    Thank you so much for the advice. Appreciate it!! :-)

    I hope you get good news on it.

    I got notice today of interview on the 1st or 2nd of May So about three weeks. Apparently they will be doing interviews up until September.


  • Advertisement


  • J82 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the advice. Appreciate it!! :-)

    I hope you get good news on it.

    I got notice today of interview on the 1st or 2nd of May So about three weeks. Apparently they will be doing interviews up until September.

    September... Jaysus, I had hoped to have been interviewed before the end of May at the latest.




  • Here's one of the best things i was ever told:

    Don't ever speak negatively of another Engineer, Contractor, Consultancy, Local Authority, Contracting Authority or even a private individual - it may be the case that at some stage during your career that someone gave you a hard time over something like closing out comments on a design certificate, opening non-conformances that you considered trivial, riding you on claim determinations, but don't ever slag anyone off in the course of your interview as you simply don't know who will be on the panel and Ireland is a small place.

    Also important for anyone who still has to apply and is in the process of writing their report.




  • Finally got approval to progress to the interview stage after a very quick re-submittal exercise. :)

    Roll on the interview !




  • camroc76 wrote: »
    Finally got approval to progress to the interview stage after a very quick re-submittal exercise. :)

    Roll on the interview !

    Congrats! Still waiting to get my approval to progress to interview stage.




  • camroc76 wrote: »
    Finally got approval to progress to the interview stage after a very quick re-submittal exercise. :)

    Roll on the interview !
    Best of luck!


  • Advertisement


  • Just received word of interviews being held next week, thursday and Friday. I have given notice that I am available, and now have to wait to see if they can fit me in..




  • Got word for either 5th or 6th of June. To be confirmed.......

    Anybody any further feedback on the interviews so far?




  • Interviewing this Tuesday... I've heard that its a lot more relaxed than a job interview but I'm nervous as hell!!
    I can't decide what to talk about for ten minutes!!




  • Yes, the presentation bit is scary. I suppose you summarise your report and fill in any gaps between the time of writing the report and now?

    It is the questions that follow that I cannot predict. I don't know what they will ask that will last for a further 50 minutes. I am wary of getting asked general questions that I may have no knowledge of. If I can stick to my experience I won't be too bad, but it is if/when they get into general industry questions I get worried. I am concerned about general questions about forms of contract etc. which would not be my strongest area.

    I suppose you just have to keep it in your head that your report is good enough to get you to this stage, now all that is required is that you can show you were truthful in your report and can back it up. Easier said than done though!




  • Ammowee wrote: »
    Interviewing this Tuesday... I've heard that its a lot more relaxed than a job interview but I'm nervous as hell!!
    I can't decide what to talk about for ten minutes!!

    Do not under any circumstances go in with that attitude




  • godtabh wrote: »
    Do not under any circumstances go in with that attitude

    Well I certainly wasn't going in with that attitude after reading about people that didn't succeed at the interview..hence the nervousness!! :)
    I had a few very sticky questions and like goldy locks, I will be pleasantly surprised if I get through. I came out of the interview and had all the great answers in the car on the way back. I would say like the other posters know the contents of your report and be able to describe how you carried out the tasks you talked about in the report. I was asked to describe the most important engineering decision I had made to date in my career.




  • Ammowee wrote: »
    Well I certainly wasn't going in with that attitude after reading about people that didn't succeed at the interview..hence the nervousness!! :)
    I had a few very sticky questions and like goldy locks, I will be pleasantly surprised if I get through. I came out of the interview and had all the great answers in the car on the way back. I would say like the other posters know the contents of your report and be able to describe how you carried out the tasks you talked about in the report. I was asked to describe the most important engineering decision I had made to date in my career.

    That's a really difficult question! On the spot it is really hard to come up with an answer for that. Do you have any other pointers? Did they stick to the report for the majority of the time or did they break away and ask you general questions?




  • davyd07 wrote: »
    That's a really difficult question! On the spot it is really hard to come up with an answer for that. Do you have any other pointers? Did they stick to the report for the majority of the time or did they break away and ask you general questions?

    They pretty much do stick to the report seeking clarifications or additions to it. On my interview they seemed to target leadership and managerial qualities. Only off question was managing a budget, its not in my report, or something I have done. Stated as much.




  • davyd07 wrote: »
    That's a really difficult question! On the spot it is really hard to come up with an answer for that. Do you have any other pointers? Did they stick to the report for the majority of the time or did they break away and ask you general questions?

    PM




  • Ah don't do a PM, we all want to know!!


  • Advertisement


  • The interviewers had made some notes before I came in, so obviously had questions on the report lined up. The other members also made notes as I answered one members questions and then asked me to expand further on some point I had made. I had one very sticky interviewer who really quizzed me on things and put me off my game a bit.
    The other two guys were fine.. fairly open questions such as describe your role in this project, talk to me about health & safety and procurement . All from my report. If you say your involved in public procurement , know your directives , thresholds etc. Same for Health & Safety, know your duties etc. Basically go through your report and imagine what questions could be asked based on it.




  • Ammowee wrote: »
    The interviewers had made some notes before I came in, so obviously had questions on the report lined up. The other members also made notes as I answered one members questions and then asked me to expand further on some point I had made. I had one very sticky interviewer who really quizzed me on things and put me off my game a bit.
    The other two guys were fine.. fairly open questions such as describe your role in this project, talk to me about health & safety and procurement . All from my report. If you say your involved in public procurement , know your directives , thresholds etc. Same for Health & Safety, know your duties etc. Basically go through your report and imagine what questions could be asked based on it.

    This. I got one my the senior team who hadnt read the report to read my report, listen to my presentation, and then ask me questions. He raised some difficult ones it put me in a really good place for the real thing. I highly recommend this approach.




  • Had my interview Monday afternoon and all went until the first interviewer started into about 4 pages of questions. I would guess 50 or 60 questions. Specifics like what is min storm water pipe size? self cleansing velocity? what is water pressure in a pipe? size of connections? where would you use pressure reducing valves? on which pipe? spacing of gullies on a road? And these were the simpler ones I can remember.

    When your on the spot and not expecting so many it seemed unfair to me. Confident I over half of them right I think but will be amazed if I get through.

    It seems to vary a lot though depending on who is on the panel. Some ask more general questions but I didn't get one of those panels!

    Anyone else get anything like this??




  • That seems extraordinary that they would go with a string of questions like that. I don't understand why they would do that. It must have been really off putting. The difference between the panels seems to be huge.




  • whelaneng wrote: »
    Had my interview Monday afternoon and all went until the first interviewer started into about 4 pages of questions. I would guess 50 or 60 questions. Specifics like what is min storm water pipe size? self cleansing velocity? what is water pressure in a pipe? size of connections? where would you use pressure reducing valves? on which pipe? spacing of gullies on a road? And these were the simpler ones I can remember.

    When your on the spot and not expecting so many it seemed unfair to me. Confident I over half of them right I think but will be amazed if I get through.

    It seems to vary a lot though depending on who is on the panel. Some ask more general questions but I didn't get one of those panels!

    Anyone else get anything like this??

    That isnt the purpose of the interview. If I was you I would take note of these questions and give the membership team a call. Outline your concerns about the interview but hold of in making anything official until your result.

    in my interview I was asked technical questions but they were more like how would you approach certain designs, assumptions you would make, etc etc but not actual design inputs

    remember its a competency based interview




  • It sounds like Ammowwee and Whelaneng's interviews where quite similar to mine, fast variable and unpredictable.

    When I got my letter outlining the points on which I didn't gain accreditation, i was some what disappointed with the reasons. (given the interview I had i could accept not gaining accreditation, however one of the reasons for not accrediting me was not discussed and I had ample experience in various forms). I've since spoken to a few people and the feed back I've received was that accreditation is based on the opinion and recommendation of the panel that interview you on that day.

    I'd be careful about, outlining your concerns, i think part of this process is your ability to think on the spot and perform under pressure, accept criticism and successfully communicate your point of view . The panel are also already deemed competent, so there opinion and manner of questioning will trump any applicants opinion.

    I hope you get good news




  • Well after all the freaking out, I got my good news this week!! :)




  • Congrats! Still waiting on the interview myself.




  • Dropping my 2 cents on this.

    The interview process is a bit of gamble. Some of us get straight question, others get technical and so on. I had my interview conducted by 2 Engineers, and the questions were relatively vague. Not a single question on specific technical knowledge or any formulas or calculations. I did get an impression at the time that the questions were tricky and the interviewers were looking at the way I handle the answers.

    They do go through the report and and ask questions based on what is in the report. In my case they have concentrated on my experience some 4 years ago, and I do not remember all of the specifics of the projects I have done then. Still managed to talk nonstop for whole interview.

    When I was writing my report, I've got an advice from very experienced Engineer. In you report only include a brief description of the jobs/projects you were involved, leaving open ends, steering your interviewers to ask questions about that project. It helped me.


  • Advertisement


  • mr.hider wrote: »

    When I was writing my report, I've got an advice from very experienced Engineer. In you report only include a brief description of the jobs/projects you were involved, leaving open ends, steering your interviewers to ask questions about that project. It helped me.

    thats the advice i give for the intro for the interview not the report. the report you need to show everything concisely


Advertisement