Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Got an e-mail confirming I have progressed to interview stage..Yeah!!

Congratulations! When did you receive the email? Did you get a date for interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Got an e-mail confirming I have progressed to interview stage..Yeah!!

Same as that. No date for interview as of uet.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Received e-mail yesterday afternoon, no date as of yet:
    "Interview sessions will take place up until the next deadline. All our interviewers are volunteers and we run interviews in batches by discipline. Not all candidates in the same discipline/company will be called to the same round of interviews."

I presume this is due to high volume of applications this time around? That means we could be waiting until June..

"Interview sessions will take place up until the next deadline. All our interviewers are volunteers and we run interviews in batches by discipline. Not all candidates in the same discipline/company will be called to the same round of interviews."

I presume this is due to high volume of applications this time around? That means we could be waiting until June..

I'd say it will take a while to get through them all surely. What discipline are you in?

Civil-Potable water treatment and supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭J82

"Interview sessions will take place up until the next deadline. All our interviewers are volunteers and we run interviews in batches by discipline. Not all candidates in the same discipline/company will be called to the same round of interviews.".

Yep, I got the same email! No dates yet but last year there was a round of interviews towards middle and end of May. The volume this year could affect that I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My interview was in May after a January submission. Had to reschedule a couple of times due to exams and holidays.

My interview last year was around the 24th of April I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Two years ago now - submission went in at the end of January - Interview on the 23th of March!!!!

In general what sort of notice do you get prior to interview?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

budhabob wrote: »
    In general what sort of notice do you get prior to interview?

Enough that you can rearrange if the date doesnt suit

A week or two I seem to remember

Got mine today too. Difficult to predict how long it will take to arrange the interviews. Time to begin the preparation anyway I suppose!

Anybody have any notes on the standard type of generic questions that may arise at interview stage then?

davyd07 wrote: »
    Anybody have any notes on the standard type of generic questions that may arise at interview stage then?

its not that type of interview

godtabh wrote: »
    its not that type of interview

My understanding is that the interview consists of a 10 minute presentation on your report followed by a question and answer session based on your presentation, report and experience for the most part, but that there are always general questions relating to the profession / industry /recent developments towards the end of the interview. It is those questions to which I refer.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

My understanding is that the interview consists of a 10 minute presentation on your report followed by a question and answer session based on your presentation, report and experience for the most part, but that there are always general questions relating to the profession / industry /recent developments towards the end of the interview. It is those questions to which I refer.

Not sure what your background is, but if civils (roads), here's a few points:

1. Be aware of the Safety, Health, and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013.
    2. Contract Administration whether in a role as a RE or Project Manager - one of the most important things is Claims - so responding to RFI's in a timely fashion and record keeping is important.
    3. If you have stated that you have any design experience - know what standards are current, i.e, NRA TD 19/09 - Safety Barriers.
    4. If you have worked abroad - have a few points on notable differences between working in Ireland and wherever.
    5. Be prepared for the 'where do you see yourself in 5 years question'.
    6. THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT - if you don't know the answer to a question, then tell them you don't know - do not try and bluff it or you are finished.

Also in relation to the presentation - bring handouts with loads of pics. You'll find they will spend more time looking at the pictures than at you, which helps ease things.

Yes but there arent generic questions to be asked. Its a competence based interview so I suggest that you google the format of this type of question.

Also with your 10 min presentation prepare something based on the competences. Leave an open ended statement that is likely to lead to questions. You can then prepare answers to the anticipated questions.

Also in relation to the presentation - bring handouts with loads of pics. You'll find they will spend more time looking at the pictures than at you, which helps ease things.

Be careful with this. Double check the regs but you are not allowed to bring anything than an A4 and previously you werent able to introduce anything that wasnt already submitted with your report. Some people can be sticklers for this.

I bound A3 drawings/photos/etc and folded them in to my report A4 size. One of the interviews call me a smart arse for doing this but showed innovation

A3 visual aids are permitted according the the regulations....I believe (on phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Retiro

They are always very interested in the level of responsibility you have within your organisation.
    For each role or task you perform, let them know if any people report to you or are dependent on you in any way.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the responses.

I have a feeling that the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 may be a topical item for discussion also.

I think bluffing is a no go. If I don't know, I would be inclined to say so.

A3 copies are allowed as per the Guidelines, unless something has changed.

Regarding the presentation, are you standing or seated? I presume it is seated across a table?

I think bluffing is a no go. If I don't know, I would be inclined to say so.

That's exactly what they are looking for. Explain why you can't answer the question and suggest alternative response

I presume the radio silence is due to nobody getting a date for their interview yet?

No word yet. Anybody hear of any movement?

I haven't heard anything as of yet.

Nothing yet, still waiting for the all clear for the review stage!

Earlier question, I was seated across a table last year.

Dónal wrote: »
    Nothing yet, still waiting for the all clear for the review stage!

Earlier question, I was seated across a table last year.

I received confirmation my report got through the review stage alright. Apparently there were over 600 applications so I imagine responses are very staggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 goldy locks

I would suggest that you check your junk mail/ spam mail folder if you haven't heard back yet. My acknowledgement went there and I missed it for about two weeks. Otherwise perhaps phone EI and enquire.

The interviews have started, I had mine last week!

I already phoned them a week ago, and was told they hadn't reviewed mine yet.

How'd your interview go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 goldy locks

Ah, at least your still in the running.

The interview was tough (But fair), and TBH I'll be pleasantly surprised if I gain accreditation base on the interview.

Advertisement