Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quit smoking!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well, 3 weeks off them now (21 days sounds so much better) and feeling ok, cravings are stronge sometimes but I can cope with a little help from the Niquitin 4mg tab thingys.

I had to go to the doctor last week as my chest was so bad over the past 2 weeks, was kinda worried, never been this bad from other times I tried to quit. Had to take time off work etc. Chest getting better I think and just dont want a nasty fag.

Well done us!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

17 days to-day for me. Cravings not so bad any more, couldn't have done it without my ecig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm off them since Jan 1st. Cold turkey. I am all blocked up in my nose. Most days it like its all cemented up. Then there's the days when its runny and then back to cement. Using Olbas oil for last couple of weeks, seemingly no difference. Dunno if its a cold or from the smokes. On the plus side it is great to be still off the fags. I even managed to drink 8 to 10 bottles of beer on two occasions without smoking, that has usually been my downfall. The next big test is to go to the pub and still not smoke. I have saved 180 euro on the smokes too. Wohoo

Wow, well done Jobean! €180 is brilliant, any idea want you gonna do with your savings? A holiday or something?

I got myself a new tv last week, cost more than I have saved from quiting but its more of an incentive to stay off them.

Best of luck when you head for your pints, it'll be a little difficult at the start but after an hour or so you'll be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

jda wrote: »
    Hi just joined and this is my first post!! I'm 28 year old female who has being smoking for 18 years shocking I know. I've decided to quit because it's damagin my health but most importantly it's leaving me completely broke which isn't a good thing when I'm a mother to 3 children I would much prefer to spend my money on them!! So need help please??? Tried cold turkey, patches Allen Carr book you name it so thinking of buying e-cig with tobacco taste?? I've bought one before I'm chemist what a waste of money like smoking fresh air!!! Thanks in advance

Hi There
    I think your reasons for stopping are very sound. I stopped smoking about 3 years ago after 28 years smoking.
    Here is my genuine and heart felt advice - I wish you every success - do it today!
    - just stop. No excuses, no sympathy for yourself, no telling anyone, no drama, no substitutes, just stop.
    - you wont miss them. We tell ourselves we will - we torment ourselves, society tells us we will be craving like crazy - don't believe that crap. Just stop and forget all about them
    - Do NOT look back. Forget you ever smoked. Dont think about them. Dont sniff others cigarettes. Avoid smokers for a few days. Get that crap out of your system.
    -Don't eat more - you are not hungrier. You will not even notice missing cigarettes in a few days - is this worth dying for????
    - Forget cigarettes - they are a mugs game - the cigarette companies are laughing at you.
    You CAN do it and you WILL do it. Stop NOW - TODAY - JUST STOP
    All my love

• Advertisement

Wow, well done Jobean! €180 is brilliant, any idea want you gonna do with your savings? A holiday or something?

I got myself a new tv last week, cost more than I have saved from quiting but its more of an incentive to stay off them.

Best of luck when you head for your pints, it'll be a little difficult at the start but after an hour or so you'll be grand :)

Well me car is now close to banger stage so may spend some money on that or maybe change it later in the year? It really helps staying off them that I can ban smoking in my house (well except for the utility room). I have no partner so I can be a dictator. If only I could be the dictator of this country. I would love power, I would totally abuse it. Gadaffi like(without killing or rapiing, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Was off the fags 28 days on Saturday and was out drinking for the 3rd night in a row and ended up having 2 cigarettes. That was at 3am. Was up till after 7 drinking and didn't smoke any more and haven't had any more since or any further cravings.

Was off the fags 28 days on Saturday and was out drinking for the 3rd night in a row and ended up having 2 cigarettes. That was at 3am. Was up till after 7 drinking and didn't smoke any more and haven't had any more since or any further cravings.

Seems you may have to avoid the pub or the beer for a while? I'm no expert but it might be worth trying if you are really serious about quitting. Or maybe drink small amounts, at least for a certain period til you are more confident and secure as a non smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Snoopy1975

How is everyone doing of the cigarettes. A month has gone by. Definitely put on around a stone and a half. Now it is time to battle it. Anyone with tips

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Snoopy1975 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing of the cigarettes. A month has gone by. Definitely put on around a stone and a half. Now it is time to battle it. Anyone with tips

Eat less, move more :D

Seriously though, check out the Nutrition and Diet forum here, they have some invaluable stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just thought if report back again,
    34th day without a cigarette.
    Went drinking last Saturday( first drink since giving up) and got through it ok.
    Would have liked one but resisted.

blade1 wrote: »
    Went drinking last Saturday( first drink since giving up) and got through it ok.

Well done! The first night out is very difficult but once an hour or two passes it gets easy and you forget for some reason, no idea why.

36 days as a non smoker here too, can't actually believe it, Woop! :)

blade1 wrote: »

Have to go out myself Friday night cos of friends birthday. Hope I can do the same as yourself and not smoke. Off them since Jan 1st.

I have been drinking at home but this is a different test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Off them 32 days today. But I don't drink so I don't have to worry bout going out.

BUMP!!!!

Well, I'm off the smokes 57 days today, cant believe it, have some cravings still and they are strong when they appear but so far so good.

Its been tough some times, but got over being out in smoking area's in bars an stuff pretty quick.

From 20 odd rollies every day for 20 years to Zero, go me :cool:

Weather is starting to get nicer brighter in the evening too so going to start walking/jogging for 20-30mins next week in the evenings

Hows everyone else getting along?

Still off them meself. Thank fcuk the weather picked up. Have been walking on beach for last couple of months whenever winds not so bad. Great to see the sun, makes it easier to go out and get some exercise. Even managed going to pub a couple weeks ago without smoking. I only think about smoking a couple of times a day now and usually not for too long.

Keeping busy is the best trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Cracked while drinking at the weekend :( I barely give them a moments thought any other time but as soon as I've a few drinks in me, smoking is all I can think about!

Cracked while drinking at the weekend :( I barely give them a moments thought any other time but as soon as I've a few drinks in me, smoking is all I can think about!

It can be hard out when people are smoking all around you. If you slip up dont worry about it and continue on, sure its not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

That was my biggest challenge too. I was smoking less and less but couldn't hold back when I was having a drink. That said I haven't smoked for nearly 3 months and had a few drinks in that time and the cravings are not nearly so bad now although there were a few near misses at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

off them 69 days today. :)
    Been out drinking a good few times in the last 6 weeks, have had a few thoughts about having a smoke or 2 but fought them off.
    Still going strong.

• Advertisement

1 month and 26 days here.
    Had a stag last weekend and found it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hippityd

I haven't commented for a couple months and it's nice to see some people doing well. It has been 200 days today since I quit in late August last year. There will be terrible urges still when I have stressful situations. I have lost 2 jobs and first thought was liquor store and a 2 packs of smokes. Then there are quite a few days now where I don't think of it once. It definitely gets easier over time. I smoked 1-3 packs a day and weed for 23 years straight. When i quit cold turkey I was hospitalized for 6 weeks with pneumonia.

One thing that has been bugging me a bit is when people say don't do this, don't do that when your quitting smoking. Do whatever it takes to get over the initial hump. Whether if it's those dumb ecigs or pounding a dozen glazed donuts at 3am do whatever the fk you want. I ate. Then I ate some more. Then I ate again. Before I knew it I had 2 months in no smoking and had gained 20 lbs. As off now 15 of those lbs are now gone and so is the smoking. Moral of the story for me was do whatever it takes. If you do it like I did you better be dam sure your quitting. Cause lol you will be a fat smoker. I found having a vice in food or whatever your vice might be really helped in quitting. It kept my mind off cigs and I had something to look forward to. It kept me from absolutely losing my mind. Now I exercise 3-5 days a week and eat a lot of fresh so I dropped the weight very easily. One thing at a time. Also planters peanuts were my crack and helped immensely to keep my hands busy. Remember everyone is different so no plan is the right plan. It reminds me when I stopped cocaine in the 90's I smoked weed nonstop for months. Never touched the stuf again and still haven't for about 20 years. Whatever works, there is no manual. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

6 months down. Haven't touched one. I stopped drinking for the first few months but I had a big day drinking on Friday for the last day of Cheltenham, started at 12.30 and finished some time 12 or 13 hours later (bit of a blur tbh), very happy that I didn't crack whilst obviously very drunk.

For anyone struggling, hang in there. It is the best thing I have ever done and I really hope I stay off them. I did put on 3 stone in weight but I started in the gym 2 weeks ago and I am looking to get fit to go back playing soccer in September. I was told having goals helps to keep your mind off them. Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

3 stone!!!! Wow! Off them just over a year myself, prob put on a stone initially but have lost it again by now. Like most I only ever think about them when drunk but with one exception a few months ago where I had 1 puff I've resisted. As someone who smoked for 25 years it's actually been remarkably easy and I feel 10 years younger :)

Yes Hippityd, whatever the fk works, do it. I gave them up on new years day and had a breathlessness problem within a day or two. Not totally cleared up but near enough.

I usually eat loads of sweets and biscuits whenever I want to get off smokes. I usually end up going back on them when in the pub but not this time. I think the health issues gave me a bit of a fright and the doctor said I was heading for serious problem soon if I didn't stop now.

I really did not get that same strong feeling of wanting to smoke inda pub this time. I think something has clicked inside me and there is no going back.

I am 50 now and don't a crappy quality of life. Was on the beach today for a brisk 4 mile walk. Hopefully I can get back to full health and never go back to the smokes.

This must be about my 500th attempt at quitting and I believe my last.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hippityd

Yea I don't want to be the asshole sitting in the hospital bed after a stroke or a heart attack with some electronic device ticking and on meds for the rest of my life. So many people wait till they are half in the grave. Pneumonia was good enough for me. If I ever go back to smoking it will be a bowl hit once a week after work week is over, =). Never realized how bad cigs were till I quit and saw what it did to me. Lol I was on Iv's for 6 freaking weeks 12 hours a day. Food taste so good now and since I'm a chef by trade I can cook healthy and yummy and it gives me the so needed something to look forward to daily. I also did cold turkey on the drinking/weed as well for a combo omg I'm gonna freak out. It's all worth it now, I do a mile 5 xs a week and don't even sweat or out of breath.

3 months without a fag today!
    Can't believe I made it this far!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭winterwonder

Well here we go, just smoked my last cigarette, I quit before for over a year and went back over something stupid, after going through my father dying and being very sick in hospital for months so I know if I could have got through not smoking through all of that, I can definitely quit again, just gonna take it day by day, well done to everyone who quit, the stories are a great inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭thebomb

Iam off the smokes 3 months aswell as redbull which I was addicted too... someone once told me mind over matter and it really is. My main reason for giving up was I couldn't afford them, it's hard but honestly you can do it , I found doing more activities takes your mind off it I do auqua aerbotics that's spelt wrong! But just keep yourself busy , and lots of hard candy I ate dozens of milky moos when I had cravings... if you fail the first time thats ok just keep trying

• Advertisement

4months and 1 day without a cigarette today.
    Over €1000 not spent on them.

Advertisement