Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quit smoking!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

blade1 wrote: »
    Been puffing on it there with the last 2 hours.
    Don't feel like having a proper fag yet anyway(normally every hour a have a fag)
    It's a start anyway:pac:

What strength juice are you using? When starting off on it I find it's best to start with a medium-high strength one such as an 18mg or higher, it's easier to feel that you're getting your nicotine hit. For many people though they'll start to get headaches because they overdosed on nictoine, so you can choose a lower strength if needed. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paulc1000

Trying to give up smokin here too was off them 3 days fell off d wagon this morning. Had 2 turned me stomach so have the patch on now. Going to get a e cig tomorrow and hope that helps. Been smoking for 15 years! First thing in morning is killing me and last thing at nite but I really want to stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What strength juice are you using? When starting off on it I find it's best to start with a medium-high strength one such as an 18mg or higher, it's easier to feel that you're getting your nicotine hit. For many people though they'll start to get headaches because they overdosed on nictoine, so you can choose a lower strength if needed. Good luck :)

I got 24mg and 16mg.
    Two different brands.
    Not mad about the flavour of the 24mg one and the 16 is a bit on the weak side.
    I ordered 24mg JP blue flavour so i'll see how it goes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

paulc1000 wrote: »
    Trying to give up smokin here too was off them 3 days fell off d wagon this morning. Had 2 turned me stomach so have the patch on now. Going to get a e cig tomorrow and hope that helps. Been smoking for 15 years! First thing in morning is killing me and last thing at nite but I really want to stay off them.

Don't know where you're based but if you're able to get in to Dublin city centre you should try Smokedifferent down on Mary Street. Very good shop, you can go in there and get advice and you'd be able to sample different flavours before buying them which is very helpful.
    blade1 wrote: »
    I got 24mg and 16mg.
    Two different brands.
    Not mad about the flavour of the 24mg one and the 16 is a bit on the weak side.
    I ordered 24mg JP blue flavour so i'll see how it goes with that.

Don't know if you know this already, but many Irish e-cig shops give discounts when you use codes, most of them are here:

http://www.vapingireland.com/Home/Vendors

Also, I know there's a vape shop in Ballincollig if you wanted to go to a placewhere you could sample different flavours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

When I gave up smoking, the first week was the hardest.

Found the second week was much easier, cos that's when I started smoking again.

Plainly, it takes time, but seriously, do go speak to someone who is quite sick from fags. You owe it to yourself. Thereafter, it's your decision. Don't fool yourself.

For me, I believe you can't make a better decision than to give up smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hippityd

So after 24 years of smoking 1-2 packs a day along with drinking beer and pot I decided to try quitting everything on Sept 1 2013. Immediately got or had a cold during the first weeks and got severely sick from coughing up ungodly grey and burgundy mucus. The smoking withdrawls were so hardcore that I had not slept for more then 2 hours at a time for 2 weeks due to a death like cough. Having no benefits I prelonged seeing a doctor for the withdrawls/sickness cuz of no benefits and it turned into full blown pneumonia. Between that and a 2 day nonstop panic attack I went into the emergency room and stayed in the hospital for 6 weeks just getting my blood levels right. I never realized how bad cigs were for me until I fully quit cold turkey.The reasons why I never quit over the 24 years was I never really wanted to.The moment that i realized how bad I was damaging myself and seeing what came out of me during the withdrawl phase was enough to "want" to quit.Well now I have a new drug of choice,,sigh,,,food.Was about 10lbs overweight when I was smoking,now I'm 30 or so.It's rough but it gets a lot easier.The relapse dreams were a killer for me waking up everyday thinking I slipped up.Like they say time kills all and now I'm at like 140 days and there's finally days where I don't think of a cig once.Btw quitting beer and pot was an absolute freaking joke compared to the evil that is cigs.Don't be one of those fools that waits till he gets a stroke before he quits.Good luck =)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jda

Hi hippityd and every one , I haven't being on this for few days because ended up in emergency room with very bad chest pains and was so scared ****less and I was told I was suffering from panic attacks and anxiety and it was makin me sick sooooo... Really bad news I smoked after ten long feckin days and down 190 smokes. I gave in,, just to stop how I was feelin!!! My doctor also gave me call Friday to explain to me to quit again and next time I wouldn't be so scared sorry but no way do I think I can go true that again thinkin I was having a heart attack

Your at the point I am at. If i continue or start smoking again I will die within a couple of years.Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

jda wrote: »
    Hi hippityd and every one , I haven't being on this for few days because ended up in emergency room with very bad chest pains and was so scared ****less and I was told I was suffering from panic attacks and anxiety and it was makin me sick sooooo... Really bad news I smoked after ten long feckin days and down 190 smokes. I gave in,, just to stop how I was feelin!!! My doctor also gave me call Friday to explain to me to quit again and next time I wouldn't be so scared sorry but no way do I think I can go true that again thinkin I was having a heart attack

Hello jda. The panic attacks can be terrifying. Im 20 days of smokes now. When I stopped on 1st Jan I had problems with breathlessness. Not sure if it was a real problem or panic attacks. I have had panic attacks before but not in the form of breathlessness. I think that if you give up smoking again soon you wont suffer as much as your body will not be as shocked when you quit again. If you do get panic attacks you will have the comfort of knowing it is not real. Try to make sure you are not alone and if possible have someone supportive with you when you do try again. Good luck.

I'm going try do what I did last time pick a day and be ready to quit!! last week I was able to get whole kitchen painted with holding what I spent on smokes as a reward for myself this week I'll b back to square one keeping all my money for smokes it sucks!! I have suffered for years wit panic attacks but nothing what I felt last week,, thanks all again i'm going try give it ago again but dunno when :( I even gave my family a fright I was so short of breath and waking them up at night cos I was so frightened!!

• Advertisement

Not for nothing bit if the withdrawls lead or could lead to panic attacks some meds are your best bet to keep calm and to get some sleep to get through it without losing your mind. I know there was no way I could have done it without hospital meds to be able to sleep and not feel like I was dying.Now of course I'm talking about doing it the cold crazy turkey way hehe. Good luck and planters peanuts work great =)

Yeah a few xanix or what every way you spell it would do me ha ha doctor only gave them to me once for panic attacks and there were a wonder but told me Friday was only a once of thing cold turkey is only way I think e cig was cause of chest pain defo tried few puffs 2 day instantly got chest pain!! Panic attacks I think is my withdrawal load of crap, I'm determined to be a non smoker so I'm going do it again and will be booking an appointment wit doctor explaining I need somethin to help when panic attacks strike again thank u so much for your reply will let you and every one else know when I've quit again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

jda wrote: »
    Yeah a few xanix or what every way you spell it would do me ha ha doctor only gave them to me once for panic attacks and there were a wonder but told me Friday was only a once of thing cold turkey is only way I think e cig was cause of chest pain defo tried few puffs 2 day instantly got chest pain!! Panic attacks I think is my withdrawal load of crap, I'm determined to be a non smoker so I'm going do it again and will be booking an appointment wit doctor explaining I need somethin to help when panic attacks strike again thank u so much for your reply will let you and every one else know when I've quit again!!

I totally recommend NiQuitin Mini's 4mg, I am using them, day 6 here, and I have to say I would have killed someone all day Saturday if I didnt have them. They really help to take the tough, no way out, edge off the cravings, and also, get out walking, keep yourself and your mind busy as much as possible. The cravings pass very quickly when you're busy.

Best of luck jda, you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mobro5

Off the cigs 15 days. I used to get panic attacks years ago and needed meds. So wen I was quitting smoking I did have that in the back of my mind afraid they might return. They never did because as soon as I quit I felt so relaxed it never bothered me. Now my problem is I cant get a good night sleep.

The sleeping will get better and so will your dreams. the vivid relapse dreams were hardcore for me. Takes a couple of months before I started sleeping regularly. I still have probs 5 months later whenever I have anything stressful or any big day ahead of me that I used to just get drunk or smoke my self stupid. Without having any vices but food it is definetly challenging especialy when ya put on weight. It's a choice to die by 40-50 or try to live to 70+. I also tell myself that I will smoke a little herb in a couple of years when I get back to primo shape and that seems to help with any craving I have. That and the memories of almost dying at the age of 41 helps to,, hehe =). Oh yea,,and lots of freaking peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Snoopy1975

Well! Sorry to say just back from Paris and unfortunately I ended up smoking on Saturday night. Got up on Sunday and was very sick but did not smoke, I have not smoked since and intend not to. Very cross with myself but it is the past and I can only take day by day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Hey all

Am off the ciggies 569 days now, Had an injury a couple of years ago meant i couldn't go to the gym and started smoking even more. Decided to give them up cold turkey after 25 years smoking. First month was a killer but it does get better. I downloaded an app that tracks stats and anytime i wanted a cig i looked at the app and imagined everything going back to 0 again.

Stats as of this morning

#QuitNow! Since 1 Jul 2012:
    569 days smoke free,
    17,073 cigarettes down,
    2703.23€ and 71 days, 03:18:00 saved!

I used to smoke 20 rollups a day and for €10 i got 60 cigs so if you smoke real cigs @ 20 a day the actual savings would be over €8100 in just 18 months!

One full week as a none smoker! *Proud face

I'm using that app too Bumper, it does help a little bit, I smoke about 20 to 30 rollies a day, chest was in bits, it still is, but starting to get better slowly. Here are my stats for my first week :-)

Quit smoking: 13jan2014
    Days without smoking: 7 days and 11hours
    Cigs not smoked: 171
    Money Saved: €37.62
    Time saved: 17.06.00

The most shocking part of the stats to me so far is the time saved, 17hrs is a long time to be wasting smoking outside over one week.

Had my first scary/weird dream last night, I was in a hospital getting test results for a full check over I think and the doctor says to me 'you have cancer', I said 'what?' he said 'you have cancer, its everywhere, sure you know this, you smoke so much' etc in a very matter of fact way you're an idiot.

Woke up and scared the hell outta myslef, didnt know if it was true for a few mins. That wasn't nice.

where can you get this smoking app and what is it called

Snoopy1975 wrote: »
    where can you get this smoking app and what is it called

It's called quitnow and you can get it free from the android app store, Just be aware that when you first stop smoking your cough will get worse, this is just your lungs clearing out all of the crap that's in there and will last about 4/6 weeks.

• Advertisement

thanks

Shoveled my driveway and stairs today which is a long driveway and not once even out of breath. It's a nice feeling not sweating like i got food poisining and completely out of breath. I can actualy do a mile on the treadmill with some running now also.

For all of you out there that has given up the cigarettes , how about we suggest things for us to do to keep are minds of the smokes and to feel better. Today I suggest everyone goes for at least a 2 k walk or run. Up to yourselves Have fun

Snoopy1975 wrote: »
    For all of you out there that has given up the cigarettes , how about we suggest things for us to do to keep are minds of the smokes and to feel better. Today I suggest everyone goes for at least a 2 k walk or run. Up to yourselves Have fun

Good idea.

Keep a bottle of water handy at all times, When you feel like a smoke take 5 sips of water with a 10 second break between drinks. By the time you have had your 5th drink the craving will have passed.

Change your routine, especially if you work or live with smokers. I used to have my lunch and then go outside with the usual crowd for a ciggie but when i gave up i headed outside (a bit of rain wont make you dissolve like a disprin) and took a walk around the block.

DON'T snack!!!!! This is the easiest thing to do when off the smokes but you are just swapping one craving for another (c'mon we all know we head for the sugary treats :D) If you do feel hungry and you are between meals then sure grab an apple, banana, or some other piece of fruit but if you are not long after finishing a meal then just drink water.

Look at the smokers around you. I get in the lift now and the smell of smoke nearly makes me gag, I used to stink like that, I talk to a work colleague and i can smell the smoke from them. They will be mid sentence and break into a hacking cough. They arrive into work in the morning and i hear them before i see them.....That used to be me, I can now run up the stairs from ground floor to 5th floor and not be out of breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mobro5

17 days off cigs. Did my 1st decent bit of exercise in 12yrs a 45min cycle only pushed it a small bit but feeling great.

A quick question any info would be great. Is it safe to do exercising so soon after quitting. Im not worried about stressing lungs but the blocked aeorta and the heart? How long does it take to clear the stuff blocking the arteries? Thanks

mobro5 wrote: »
    17 days off cigs. Did my 1st decent bit of exercise in 12yrs a 45min cycle only pushed it a small bit but feeling great.

A quick question any info would be great. Is it safe to do exercising so soon after quitting. Im not worried about stressing lungs but the blocked aeorta and the heart? How long does it take to clear the stuff blocking the arteries? Thanks

If this is a concern for you then you sould go to the doctor and get a health check. Get blood pressure taken and cholesterol checked and he will decide if you need scans or cholesterol reducing medication. No offence to anyone but i woldn't be taking medical advice from strangers on boards and i don't think the charter allows it anyway :D

Exercise wise just start light (cycle was a good start) and eat healthy because i know how nice every thing tastes after quitting and it's tempting to over do the portions:D

Day 9 here and I really dont miss them, thought I would have broke by now, but I just dont miss them and as others have said already, the stank off other smokers in work is pretty darn strong and rank. I used to smell like that too! Not anymore! A friend of mine in work has stopped too, on day 7 and they are finding it kinda hard but getting through it.

One thing about exercise, yesterday morning I was late for my Bus so I ran for it, I swear to god, I felt like my lungs were about to collapse outta me by the time I got to the bus stop (missed the bus :() and my heart was pumping way too hard for the short hard run I did. I didnt have that when I tried to give up last time, and I am thinking its becasue I was smoking more than 20 strong rollie smokes a day, they are pretty heavy smoke. Kinda scared me. So I think I really need to start some exercise soon. I think walking first, then maybe work in a bit of running later on.

Planning to visit doctor next week at some stage to get a full check over.

Can't believe I started this post got to ten days and gave in and now every one else's is still going really good well done :) but as for me I just can't seem to get that I had enough feeling like I did last time and it's really sucks (sad face) as I said in originall post I'm only young mum with 3 children and my family said they would put half the money towards a car :) I really need one make my life so much easier because all mum's out there know how busy and hard it is especially if I've to walk every were school runs and all!! So only way I'll be able to afford this is QUIT and p.s make things worse I didn't even go back to John player blue I've being smoking rollies every day yuk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hi jda,
    You can do this!
    I'm on my 10th day and I am going to do this no matter what.
    I'm using the e-cig and find it excellent.
    It needs a bit of maintence but it really is worth it.

I can't believe I have got this far.
    I have tried several times before and was back on them even within an hour a few times.
    I loved smoking more than anything but it was time to say goodbye to them for good this time.

The e-cig really does take away the urge though.
    Don't give up hope yet.

• Advertisement

It will not be easy to quit smoking if you still like/enjoy it. You really have to not want to smoke anymore for it to be bearable. Like truly fed up,sick of it, no more. Makes quitting a hell of alot easier when you despise what your quitting. As far as the comment on "No Snacking", I couldn't disagree more. Do whatever it takes to get you over the plateau where you are not losing your mind every 5 minutes. Smoking they say is equal to 100 extra lbs on yourself. I wouldn't worry about packing on 10-20 to get over the hump and do it in style and get to the point where it's not madness anymore. Then taking off the little bit of weight you gained will be a yawn after what you just conquered. All I know is the first few months that I quit after 20+ years of heavy smoking I needed some bad/yummy food here and there to keep my sanity and reward myself.

I just counted and I'm at 147 days and just did a mile on the treadmill in under 15 minutes. Not bad for a guy that couple months ago doctors thought I was gonna die from pneumonia. After I was done walking/running I wasn't even sweating. All the toxins are out of my body. Btw I quit two smoking addictions at once and drinking all cold turkey. If anyone needs a chat I'm on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/david.joyce.5817. Remember something like coughing up blood next time you want a cig. Peace.

Advertisement