Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quit smoking!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

blade1 wrote: »
    Hi jda,
    You can do this!
    I'm on my 10th day and I am going to do this no matter what.
    I'm using the e-cig and find it excellent.
    It needs a bit of maintence but it really is worth it.

I can't believe I have got this far.
    I have tried several times before and was back on them even within an hour a few times.
    I loved smoking more than anything but it was time to say goodbye to them for good this time.

The e-cig really does take away the urge though.
    Don't give up hope yet.

Ten days for me too today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

21 days today :)

Haven't really missed them at all. Now and again a thought comes into my head, but I just tell myself that I'm a happy non smoker.
    Have a big session coming up next weekend so that will be the real test to make sure I stay off them.

Doing the Alan Carr easyway course was defo worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Eff Four

Hey all, been lurking this forum for months, reading all the advice and other peoples' experiences has really helped me get into the right frame of mind to stop smoking once and for all. I've been smoking on and off for ten years - I managed to stop for a year and a half, during that time I became pregnant and subsequently had my son, then one very stressful day led to one cigarette and, well, the rest is history!

I hate smoking. I hate going out in the pissing rain to have a cigarette, knowing my son is in the house playing and I could be there enjoying that time with him instead of outside killing myself slowly. I hate the fact that they have dominated my life for so long that I have literally been terrified to stop because the addiction has had me convinced I couldn't cope without smoking. That I wouldn't be the same person, somehow. As if these horrid little things define me! I hate it, and I hate that I still haven't managed to stop.

I bought a vaping starter pack months ago and used it sporadically, but again the addiction is always there in my head telling me it's not a 'real cigarette' and always afraid to not have a packet of fags in my bag. I kept telling myself I'd switch to vaping fulltime after this packet's gone, then it was another packet...I'm so ashamed I haven't had the balls to just do it, but I think I am now. I'm going to wake up tomorrow and not have a cigarette, and the world will keep turning. Addiction is a horrible thing, but I'm not going to let it control me any more. I just wanted to add my own story to this thread so other people trying to motivate themselves to stop will know they're not alone - not everybody does it first time, or the second, or the third etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Eff Four wrote: »
    Hey all, been lurking this forum for months, reading all the advice and other peoples' experiences has really helped me get into the right frame of mind to stop smoking once and for all. I've been smoking on and off for ten years - I managed to stop for a year and a half, during that time I became pregnant and subsequently had my son, then one very stressful day led to one cigarette and, well, the rest is history!

I hate smoking. I hate going out in the pissing rain to have a cigarette, knowing my son is in the house playing and I could be there enjoying that time with him instead of outside killing myself slowly. I hate the fact that they have dominated my life for so long that I have literally been terrified to stop because the addiction has had me convinced I couldn't cope without smoking. That I wouldn't be the same person, somehow. As if these horrid little things define me! I hate it, and I hate that I still haven't managed to stop.

I bought a vaping starter pack months ago and used it sporadically, but again the addiction is always there in my head telling me it's not a 'real cigarette' and always afraid to not have a packet of fags in my bag. I kept telling myself I'd switch to vaping fulltime after this packet's gone, then it was another packet...I'm so ashamed I haven't had the balls to just do it, but I think I am now. I'm going to wake up tomorrow and not have a cigarette, and the world will keep turning. Addiction is a horrible thing, but I'm not going to let it control me any more. I just wanted to add my own story to this thread so other people trying to motivate themselves to stop will know they're not alone - not everybody does it first time, or the second, or the third etc.

Good for you. That's half the battle, actually wanting to give them up.

My advice would be to get a fairly strong juice for your e-cig maybe 24mg or at least 18mg. You need to keep telling yourself, that as long as you're puffing on the e-cig you are actually getting nicotine hit. If you still crave nicotine, then get a stronger juice, if you start getting headaches then it could mean you are overdosing on nicotine and so you should try to puff less.

Once you're getting your nicotine hit, then the only possible problem you could have is just that you miss the feel of a real cigarette, which will be hard to get used not having but you'll get over it.

Good luck and hopefully this is the last time you need to quit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hippityd

I can't say what is better. Going the patch and e cig way with medication to make it as easy as possible or the hardcore cold turkey way that will be very freaking painful hating every second of it. If you are having issues with going back to smoking after trying to quit multiple times maybe try to change your quitting pattern. Part of my plan was having food become my new addiction to replace the smoking.Then deal with that after I leveled out. Lol, also helps that I'm a professional chef and have been doing it for 25 years so I didn't pack on to much weight but satisfied countless cravings. Also doing it the hard way really realized how bad cigs were cause of how sick I got. That seemed to give me even more motivation. Keep strong =)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, it's great to have this place for support because I don't talk to the other half about it anymore, I hate feeling like I've let people down when I haven't succeeded, plus I feel like he must be sick of hearing me say how much I want to stop over the last few months! I'm doing this for myself.

Haven't had a fag since 9am, my head is a bit all over the place but I know I'm getting enough nicotine, the juice I have is 18mg and I smoked Silk Cut purple so now it's all in my head. I'm just treating the ecig like a normal fag, only using it outside, having a cuppa with it. So far so good. Really enjoying the fact that I'm not conscious of my smelly breath when I come back in and play with my young lad. Also got that QuitNow app on my phone, even though it's early days I think it'll be nice to see how much money I've saved and the health benefits adding up. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Eff Four wrote: »
    Thanks guys, it's great to have this place for support because I don't talk to the other half about it anymore, I hate feeling like I've let people down when I haven't succeeded, plus I feel like he must be sick of hearing me say how much I want to stop over the last few months! I'm doing this for myself.

Haven't had a fag since 9am, my head is a bit all over the place but I know I'm getting enough nicotine, the juice I have is 18mg and I smoked Silk Cut purple so now it's all in my head. I'm just treating the ecig like a normal fag, only using it outside, having a cuppa with it. So far so good. Really enjoying the fact that I'm not conscious of my smelly breath when I come back in and play with my young lad. Also got that QuitNow app on my phone, even though it's early days I think it'll be nice to see how much money I've saved and the health benefits adding up. Fingers crossed!
    Well Done Eff Four.
    You have took the hardest step by stopping, Every day you stay free will make it harder to go back because when you are tempted say to yourself If I smoke now the past 10, 20, 30, days will have been a complete waste of time. What was the point in suffering the first few hardest days if I smoke now.
    Before you know it the craving is gone and you are on the way again.
    I am a non smoker since the new year, went cold turkey and this mantra seems to be keeping me going along with the €260.00 I have put in my reward box since.
    Keep it up before you know it You will be wondering what all the fuss was about.;););)

Thanks for the support Break, and well done to you too being smoke-free for that long. Fair play. I'm more than a day into it now and to be honest, I've had a few moments but it's not been too bad. Just sticking to treating the ecig like I would a normal one. It's crazy going through withdrawl from all the other ****e in cigarettes even though I'm still getting the nicotine. Makes me so glad I decided to do this and stick it out. Bought my son a few toys today with the money I would've wasted on cigarettes. Head's very cloudy and I'm shaking like a leaf but it's bearable. I'm determined this is not just another time I try to give up. Have much nicer things I'd like to spend that money on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hippityd

Break80 wrote: »
    Well Done Eff Four.
    You have took the hardest step by stopping, Every day you stay free will make it harder to go back because when you are tempted say to yourself If I smoke now the past 10, 20, 30, days will have been a complete waste of time. What was the point in suffering the first few hardest days if I smoke now.
    Before you know it the craving is gone and you are on the way again.
    I am a non smoker since the new year, went cold turkey and this mantra seems to be keeping me going along with the €260.00 I have put in my reward box since.
    Keep it up before you know it You will be wondering what all the fuss was about.;););)[/QUO

Cold Turkey. That's the way to go. Congratz on your first month.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well done to everyone so far! You are all doing great!!!

Day 13 here for me, getting on ok. Cravings come and go but not a big deal.

Although I will say Friday night was very hard for the first hour, one of my best mates is a heavy smoker but he didnt smoke much for the night and didnt give me one either, but I didnt smoke at all and I was fine in the smoking area, didnt even think of smoking. Got through it so I can continue to be a non-smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

8 days for me and will be nine in an hour. The first 5 days was tough and had a few panic attacks but I think I'm over the worst of it now. Starting to feel much less tired and healthier overall.

Day three as a nonsmoker here and have to say I'm feeling very positive now. Still have moments throughout the day when I feel a bit...lost, for want of a better description, but I don't want a cigarette at all. Had to go down town to do a few bits this afternoon and everytime I passed somebody smoking I reminded myself how trapped I felt, and how scared I was I would never be able to stop. I didn't envy them. Hope everyone else quitting has had a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mobro5

On day 23 and getting to the stage where I forget that I ever smoked. Went for my 1st drink since New Yrs Eve and did find it difficult especially cos Im so used to heading to the smoking area. But I limited my drinks to just 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Digtvinfo

Best wishes to all of you in your desire to give up smoking. Boots the pharmacy chain are currently offering a free 12 week stop for good one-to-one tailor made advice programme for anyone who feels they might benefit from a bit of mentoring and support. Worth considering if you want a bit of extra advice and help in quitting.

mobro5 wrote: »
    On day 23 and getting to the stage where I forget that I ever smoked. Went for my 1st drink since New Yrs Eve and did find it difficult especially cos Im so used to heading to the smoking area. But I limited my drinks to just 2.

Did you go cold turkey? r did you use nicotine products?

Day 10 for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

16 days and 6 hrs
    photo_zps50b86e43.png

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

is it okay if i join in, 2 days off them now, patches and quickmist
    any advice and tips gratefully accepted

jimboblep wrote: »
    is it okay if i join in, 2 days off them now, patches and quickmist
    any advice and tips gratefully accepted
    How are you finding it so far?
    What's the quick mist like?

How are you finding it so far?
    What's the quick mist like?

little bit tougher today since the high of quitting has calmed down
    the quickmist is very good numbs the craving very quick only downside is it seems to give me hiccups :D
    is the national quitline worth ringing

• Advertisement

The e cig is the only thing that works for me.

I tried that last year worked for me for a while but i think for myself its breaking the habits of when and where i smoke is the hardest
    and the ecig kind of get me in the same habits
    saying that though a mate of mine is off the fags 3 years now and gave up the e cig last year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭endacl

One month today. 939 unsmoked, and €446 saved.

:)

I tried that last year worked for me for a while but i think for myself its breaking the habits of when and where i smoke is the hardest
    and the ecig kind of get me in the same habits
    saying that though a mate of mine is off the fags 3 years now and gave up the e cig last year as well

Yeah, I know what you mean.
    I still have the habit with the e-cig.
    I'm feeling way better since I gave up the fags though.
    I'll stick with it a while and hopefully sometime quit it too.

how long are you off them
    the guy i was talking about smoked ecigs for about two years and finally quit them so they do work and i know what you mean about feeling better off them the difference in only a couple of days is noticeable

how long are you off them
    the guy i was talking about smoked ecigs for about two years and finally quit them so they do work and i know what you mean about feeling better off them the difference in only a couple of days is noticeable

16 days.
    I still have 10 JP Blues on the shelve since I gave them up.
    I don't know why but I feel better knowing they are there.

I'll be a week off the cigarettes tomorrow, using an 'ecig', and feeling fantastic. The first few days of withdrawl off the other crap in cigarettes wasn't pleasant but certainly doable in comparison to cold turkey, patches etc. which I tried in the past. I'm using 18mg ejuice at the moment. I'm going to drop down to 12mg after a while, and maybe aim to be using zero nicotine juice by the end of the year. To be honest though I'm not fussed if I do or not, it was smoking that was killing me and I'm done with it. I threw out all my old smoking stuff today, nearly a full packet of cigarettes, rolling machine etc. Got to the stage where I wanted them out of my house. Good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

16 days.
    I still have 10 JP Blues on the shelve since I gave them up.
    I don't know why but I feel better knowing they are there.

Month off them today, when i went to bed on News years Eve i had half a fag in the ashtray and 7 left in the box...i left them by the sink................they are still there now, and my wife is a clean freak, but i just wanted a reminder, i am using the e-cig, and wouldn't have been able to do it without it....i smoked for 30 years and never thought i would been able to give up...but you get a boost when people ask you are ya still of the fags, and you give them a smug grin and say "Yeah"....i know in myself 100% that i will never smoke again, and although i am not anti smoking....i do like saying to friends who smoke that smoking is a disgusting habit.....a few are thinking about giving up after seeing me do it......good luck to everyone that has given up ;-0

One other thing i am a chef, and normally get complimented on my curries that i make, for the first time today i really tasted all the spices and stuff in it......quitting smoking does really give you your sense of taste back

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mobro5

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Did you go cold turkey? r did you use nicotine products?

I went cold turkey,I didnt use any e cigs just wanted to stop completely.

• Advertisement

mobro5 wrote: »
    I went cold turkey,I didnt use any e cigs just wanted to stop completely.

Good job I couldn't do it cold turkey. 16 days to day.

Advertisement