Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker World Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

BNMC wrote: »
    Please elaborate.

May have been covered already, but Ronnie's father owned a number of sex shops back in the day. When his father was convicted for murder, it was deemed to be a racially motivated attack, which lengthened the sentence. The family were of the opinion that the fact that he owned the sex shops and the council's dislike of the family that the racial element was part of the conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mousewar wrote: »
    The first session was decent with Ronnie playing freely and smoothly and breakbuilding well. The next two sessions were horrendous. Selby was incapable of winning a frame at one visit and he managed to drag Ronnie down to his level, resulting in a ragged, sloppy match with interminable frames and awful mistakes from both. Only at the very end, Selby finally produced some fine snooker.
    By Selby's own admission, it wasn't pretty snooker.

He knew what he had to do to win, and he did it.
    Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At the start of frame 28 someone in the audience mouthed out something. The referee commented that there "was no need for them comments," or words similar. Anyone know what was said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

walshb wrote: »
    At the start of frame 28 someone in the audience mouthed out something. The referee commented that there "was no need for them comments," or words similar. Anyone know what was said?

Was that not during one of Ronnies breaks? I think the ref was kinda saying, whatever about cheering when they come to the table but not after every shot.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Was that not during one of Ronnies breaks? I think the ref was kinda saying, whatever about cheering when they come to the table but not after every shot.

No. It was just before the start of frame 28. You could hear some mouthing, then Ronnie turns with a sort of shocked/annoyed look, then another mouthing, and then the referee made his comments. The commentators didn't pick up on it or comment on it. Maybe twitter or FB or some social media did?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Yeah remember that...ronnie 15-12 down, about to break off....impossible to make out what was said, but ronnie looked well jcked off about it so didnt think it came from one of his own fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIijEChSsQ

It's right at the start here, selby was breaking. Sounds like "chop his head off ronnie" is the offending phrase or something close to that

The commentators, Thorne and Hendry commented on Marks' very good screw shots. Hendry said how he couldn't do them shots. Thorne agreed, saying that it was the one shot that Hendry didn't have in his arsenal. What was the story with Hendry's screw shots? Was he not that proficient?

I actually thought Thorne came out with the comment and Hendry, modestly, agreed...I remember thinking that's a bit brash of you Willie...but i could be wrong.

Anyway, thinness of the cloth would be the major factor i'd guess. The ease with which players now play the type of shots selby played on that green is a bit ridiculous....only the ambitious or reckless tried it 20 years ago

I actually thought Thorne came out with the comment and Hendry, modestly, agreed...I remember thinking that's a bit brash of you Willie...but i could be wrong.

Anyway, thinness of the cloth would be the major factor i'd guess. The ease with which players now play the type of shots selby played on that green is a bit ridiculous....only the ambitious or reckless tried it 20 years ago

Hendry was the one who mentioned it first. Saying something like he could never do that shot, then Thorne agreed.

• Advertisement

Hendry was the one who mentioned it first. Saying something like he could never do that shot, then Thorne agreed.

Ah, i stand corrected thanks. Think i just perked up when i heard thorne saying what he did!

But just shows how difficult it can be to compare eras in snooker, because the conditions have changed so much: thinner cloths, lighter balls, under-table heating etc. Even the lower-ranked players now can take on shots that Hendry wouldn't have touched in his prime

Ah, i stand corrected thanks. Think i just perked up when i heard thorne saying what he did!

But just shows how difficult it can be to compare eras in snooker, because the conditions have changed so much: thinner cloths, lighter balls, under-table heating etc. Even the lower-ranked players now can take on shots that Hendry wouldn't have touched in his prime

Thanks,

But it seemed that both he and Thorne were implying that Hendry just wasn't proficient with that shot. I wasn't aware of this. I know some players are just better than others at certain kinds of shots. Jimmy White was one player who was very proficient with the deep screw shot.

Well that could be the case too.....maybe hendry found himself out of position so infrequently it just wasnt a shot he needed all that badly? Dunno really but i guarantee you jimmy white would not have played deep screw shots in his day, like selby or other top pros do now

*i mean jimmy wouldn't play them with such apparent effortlessness*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thanks,

But it seemed that both he and Thorne were implying that Hendry just wasn't proficient with that shot. I wasn't aware of this. I know some players are just better than others at certain kinds of shots. Jimmy White was one player who was very proficient with the deep screw shot.

If I recall correctly, it was a deep screw shot with a big distance between the bridging hand & the cue ball, & bridging hand being up on the wood/cushion, not on the cloth. Hendry said if he tried that he'd end up miscueing.

From the Mirror so take from that what you will but they're reporting Ronnie and his son were in a car crash last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yeah was reading that article earlier, apparently crashed at around 1AM on the motorway and "cheated death" according to the mirror. Both were unharmed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The BBC have a report on it here.

Although, thankfully nobody seems to be harmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Hendry only retired a few years ago, conditions are the same.

If he was in this era he would still be winning, his match game was A1.

Throne was half joking, in the last couple of years players are lifting the butt of the cue a fraction higher to get more power into screwing back, thats what they meant.

Hendry game was all about finesse rather then power, hence why he holds all the records, until Ronnie beats his record, he is still the best match player of all time.

Well that could be the case too.....maybe hendry found himself out of position so infrequently it just wasnt a shot he needed all that badly? Dunno really but i guarantee you jimmy white would not have played deep screw shots in his day, like selby or other top pros do now

Thats rubbish, I have seen Higgins, White, Davis etc screw back the length of the table after potting a ball the length of the table. All pros and good amateurs can do this.

Heres an amateur doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLFvi2w7tN4

• Advertisement

I think Ronnie will come back next year stronger then ever, a great early bet, now he has something to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Are you serious? White had more cue power than probably any other player the game has ever seen, O'Sullivan included.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

The commentators, Thorne and Hendry commented on Marks' very good screw shots. Hendry said how he couldn't do them shots. Thorne agreed, saying that it was the one shot that Hendry didn't have in his arsenal. What was the story with Hendry's screw shots? Was he not that proficient?

Hendry was never as proficient as other top players when it came to shots requiring extreme power, whether it was screw, topspin or forcing shots with stun. He never really hit the ball hard.
    He's credited with pioneering the technique of splitting the pack of reds while potting the blue. Truth was he preferred that approach as it required less power than trying to split them from the black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Mousewar wrote: »
    Lot of people saying this, if only by virtue of the fact that it was long and grueling. Same thing happens in tennis whenever there's a six-hour marathon - commentators fall over each other to call it the best match ever despite the quality of play.

The first session was decent with Ronnie playing freely and smoothly and breakbuilding well. The next two sessions were horrendous. Selby was incapable of winning a frame at one visit and he managed to drag Ronnie down to his level, resulting in a ragged, sloppy match with interminable frames and awful mistakes from both. Only at the very end, Selby finally produced some fine snooker.
    Overall, other than the drama, it was a very poor, low quality match and Ronnie should give his head a shake for losing it.

I enjoy both playing and watching snooker and I'm afraid that I find nothing in your comments that I can agree with.
    I had no preference as to the winner, just wanted a good match which I believe we got. As for "..Selby..... dragging Ronnie (slight preference shown here perhaps?) down to his level" that to me is laughable.

Thank goodness that we are all entitled to our own opinions.

It's a good job that you weren't around in 1946 when the final was played over 2 weeks and the best of 145 frames. That was a long match!.

Fair play to Willie Thorne, the 2nd greatest player never to be world champion, for supporting talented youngsters at his club in leicester with free table time etc including Selby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jeez the match must have really taken it out of Ronnie mentally if he crashed his car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

I wonder was he partying or else trying to redeem himself to his son by speeding down the road

Or maybe it was just an accident, like what happens all over the country everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Or maybe it was just an accident, like what happens all over the country everyday

Maybe so he certainly has made a few of them the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Still not a good idea to drive after such a long mentally draining match like that, he should have probably slept in Sheffield for the night before driving back today!

Advertisement