Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker World Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Ronnie will want to be getting to hendry's 7 titles highly unlikely that he is throwing frames for a betting scam in the final of the world championship,he hardly need's the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Not sure about Selbys reaction, you would swear he actually won something.
    It's a big, big frame. I think he reacts that way when he hears it's the end of the session too. Whoever lost that frame was going to be scared psychologically for the next session. Selby is a frame up and in a better head space than Ronnie. All the reason to celebrate.

I knew Selby would prove difficult for Ronnie, its so hard to get any fluency against him and he grinds out horrible games so well, hes the perfect person to put it up to Ronnie.

That pink though. Jesus Christ what a miss.

Yeah i thought selby's reaction is a bit poor form,it's not like he just cleared the table he's celebrating ronnie's miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

He did. He won a very tense frame to take the lead. He's human. I'm sure he felt a lot of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lol at the 'betting fix' people, if you've watched the entire frame.
    He had about 50 more obvious chances to throw the frame that no-one would have batted an eyelid at.

I don't think he misread the score board like the BBC suggested, I think he was showboating it thinking he couldn't miss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Selby did get a bit carried away, but given how big a frame it was you can forgive him for losing the run of himself a bit i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I always get the impression when watching Ronnie, that the only person he's actually playing is himself. He's unplayable when he's on form, & nobody on the tour can touch him. But when it's not going his way, I don't think it's pressure from his opponents that get to him, but more so his own mind.

He's the best player out there, there's no disputing that. I wouldn't be fan of him off the table, no doubt we'll hear tonight that this is his last time at the crucible (again). I hate how, despite his record, he once claimed he hasn't played good snooker since he was 17 years old. The thing with the interview/conference in China though a few years ago turned me off him permanently, absolutely vile stuff.

You'd have to say at this stage, Selby deserves the title more than Ronnie does...he's been dreadful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Ronnie throwing a frame on the easiest of shots in full gaze of the snooker world?

Yeah.Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

amkin25 wrote: »
    Yeah i thought selby's reaction is a bit poor form,it's not like he just cleared the table he's celebrating ronnie's miss.

What a load of rubbish. He thought he'd lost the frame, then won it, and let his emotion out. This match is the biggest in Selby's career. He's showing his passion for the occasion. I hope he goes on to win it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    It's a big, big frame. I think he reacts that way when he hears it's the end of the session too. Whoever lost that frame was going to be scared psychologically for the next session. Selby is a frame up and in a better head space than Ronnie. All the reason to celebrate.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

He won the final frame of a session that puts him only one frame up going into the next session, thats it. He didn't win the tournament yet but from his reaction you'd swear he had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Myrddin wrote: »
    The thing with the interview/conference in China though a few years ago turned me off him permanently, absolutely vile stuff.
    What did he do?
    I looked it up - classy fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I've backed Selby every year for 5 years, i always bet on 2/3 players i think have a shout, but I didn't follow it much this year but meant to back Selby still, always a favourite of mine, probably because i met him playing pool in 2007

He would've been far out as well, surely 10/12's

Addle wrote: »
    I looked it up - classy fella.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/mar/27/snooker.davidhendon - it's on youtube too. Classy stuff.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. He thought he'd lost the frame, then won it, and let his emotion out. This match is the biggest in Selby's career. He's showing his passion for the occasion. I hope he goes on to win it now.

To be honest i was for selby i wasn't mad on either to start with,just never liked the big over the top fist pump's unless it's something more pivotal,it was just a frame to go 1 up he need's 6 more to win,it was never going to be anyway crucial with 12 to play.
    You can say it's a big frame if you want,but he only won it cause ronnie missed a sitter why didnt he just fist pump when ronnie missed and not bother waiting till the end of the frame .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Horrible stuff. Didn't know about this. It's turned me against him even more now. His whole attitude stinks.
    He once stated he did not like travelling to China because "they don't speak English." He has, though, become more enthusiastic about the country since signing a six-figure advertising deal with a Chinese watch company last year.

I bet he has.

He's kept out of trouble for the last few years though, & seems to have matured a bit. He's struggling out there though, haven't seen him struggle like this for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

amkin25 wrote: »
    To be honest i was for selby i wasn't mad on either to start with,just never liked the big over the top fist pump's unless it's something more pivotal,it was just a frame to go 1 up he need's 6 more to win,it was never going to be anyway crucial with 12 to play.
    You can say it's a big frame if you want,but he only won it cause ronnie missed a sitter why didnt he just fist pump when ronnie missed and not bother waiting till the end of the frame .

Because he had to pot the two balls to win the frame under extreme pressure? That frame could be a turning point, its a two frame swing. Selby was 3 behind at the start of the season, should've been one behind, and is now one ahead. I dont blame him for being pumped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Didn't know about that. What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

quarryman wrote: »
    Didn't know about that. What an idiot.

doesn't his family work in the "sex industry"

prob has a lot to do with his attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

selbys game to deteriorate under pressure this evening

ronnie to find some fluency and push on to win 18-15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He's still a lot more interesting than some of the dull as dishwater players going around so I don't understand why everyone is complaining. If the final were two Selby types I'd probably watch intermittently but Ronnie has me on the edge of my seat because you never know which part of him will turn up. Flair players are more entertaining than dull methodical grinders every day of the week and he's one of the few still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

doesn't his family work in the "sex industry"
    Please elaborate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

selbys game to deteriorate under pressure this evening

ronnie to find some fluency and push on to win 18-15

Selby is great under pressure did u not see the semi final?
    He has it in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Here we go again. Going to be a long evening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Great comeback from Selby but overall not the greatest quality of snooker. Both players making slips here or there. Really want to see Selby bang out a century and then see how it does for his confidence. Never rule out Ronnie though, he might just blitz him this session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

That was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Did that intro remind anyone of this....

braveheart6.jpg

You may take our frames, BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE OUR CHAMPIONSHIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

And he's off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

O Sullivan could go on a run here , he's looking a different player to this afternoon already

Advertisement